Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11622
Printed Date: September-16-2024 at 7:06pm

Topic: Replacing Exhaust Hoses
Posted By: 74SkiNautique
Subject: Replacing Exhaust Hoses
Date Posted: August-18-2008 at 5:52pm
Hey, I found the starboard exhaust hose to be heavily dry rotted. I need to know the best way to replace all of the exhaust hoses w/o removing my floor. Thanks. BTW, 1974 SN.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Replies:
Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: August-18-2008 at 6:00pm
the center section of the floor behind the motor box should lift out once you find and remove the screws buried in the carpet. Basicly the section of floor that's about the width of the motor box and from the back of the motor box to the gas tank is removable once it is out then it's a piece of cake getting to them.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: August-18-2008 at 6:48pm
Yea, i was just outside looking how I can remove that one section of floor. I just have to remove the side ski holders which are holding the carpet down. I am ordering the hoses today! So i should have this all wrapped up by next week.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-19-2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

Yea, i was just outside looking how I can remove that one section of floor. I just have to remove the side ski holders which are holding the carpet down. I am ordering the hoses today! So i should have this all wrapped up by next week.

if the carpet isn't seamed then just cut it straight alone the gap in the wood and add new edging, the crapet doesn't have to go all the way to the side of the hull.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: August-19-2008 at 5:10pm
Well, later on in the boats life, we would like to replace all the floor and install all new carpet. For now, we will just change the 1 foot section of hose on both sides, and we have enough to finish the job later.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-19-2008 at 5:34pm
My point is the carpet should be clued to the deck, so trying to remove it is going to make a mess and then you are going to have to replace it, where as if you just run a razor blade inbetween the small gap on each side of the removable panel in the floor then it's not going to make a mess and you don't have to replace the carpet at all and you might not even have to use edging where you cut it if it is glued down good still. But if you want to make the job harder more power too you it's your boat.

-------------

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: August-19-2008 at 6:00pm
Chris why you gotta be such a prick lately ???? There is more than one way to skin a cat,which is the correct way?
I would say," start at the head", some would say "wrong end".The start is not the point the finished job is the common goal we all seek.
Why not lighten up on the sarcasm a bit.............Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: August-19-2008 at 6:06pm
what ever Billy

-------------

Date Posted: August-19-2008 at 7:21pm
how am i being a prick?? all i said was i am replacing the last section of hose???

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-19-2008 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

My point is the carpet should be clued to the deck, so trying to remove it is going to make a mess and then you are going to have to replace it.

I understand that. We might replace the floor next year, and when we do that, we are gonna do the rest of the hoses and replace the carpet. I dont need to remove the section of floor to replace the last section of hose that connects to the transom. Thanks for all the advice.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: 88 Nautique
Date Posted: August-19-2008 at 11:10pm

how am i being a prick?? all i said was i am replacing the last section of hose???

Chris,
He was talking to 79nautique who's name is also Chris.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1657" rel="nofollow - My 88 Nautique

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 1:18am
Chris[74] many humble sorrows are offered at your feet.I did not look at your profile and see that you and Chris[79] had the same first name.
I was trying to get Chris back on his meds and off his high horse.
Sorry if I offended you[74].......Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 2:03am
haha... Its fine...for a second..i was like....o my goodness...lol

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: Booty
Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 3:05am
I think everyone needs to review Keith's welome statement on each of these forums and make an effort not to overstep the behavior bounderies outlined and play nice and get along!

-------------
Booty
82,2001 http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3701 - 82,2001

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 4:27am
everything is fine, I didnt think anything of 79's words. its cool.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: azeus17
Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Booty Booty wrote:

I think everyone needs to review Keith's welome statement on each of these forums and make an effort not to overstep the behavior bounderies outlined and play nice and get along!

Thats no fun!

I think it is half the fun of this site. People get all worked up on one thread and then you look down two threads and they are joking with each other and sending their phone number.

There have been a few times when people have crossed the line, but I think for the most part it is all entertaining.

-------------
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 12:10pm

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

My point is the carpet should be clued to the deck, so trying to remove it is going to make a mess and then you are going to have to replace it.

I understand that. We might replace the floor next year, and when we do that, we are gonna do the rest of the hoses and replace the carpet. I dont need to remove the section of floor to replace the last section of hose that connects to the transom. Thanks for all the advice.

usually it's a lot easier if you remove it but if you can get to the hose clamps and then get the hose broke free from both ends cool. But with my hands and arms it makes it a little tough doing it that way. And if the carpet is glued good all ready to the panel and deck then when you cut the carpet and reinstall the panel you really don't see much a of a line or gap where you cut it. I know when I first replace my carpet I did the same thing and used one piece then i cut it later when I added the dripless seal for the prop shaft.

-------------

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 1:30pm
Booty, hang around and you will see how we bond here.
We use code words to show our true feeling of warmth and compassion.
So as you read some of the more colorful posts try to read between the lines and see the underlying message, it is there .
79 has the code down better than the rest of us and is slowly teaching us character and patience and love for our fellow man........Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 3:52pm
I can get to all 8 clamps(4 per side) on the last section of hose. They are a little tricky, but with a socket wrench i can get the angle i need. I will use some di-electric grease when installing the new hoses. Makes everything go easier.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:37pm
You guys have any good tips for getting 20 year old hoses off???

It will be floor/stringer time in a couple of months after the skiing is over!

Tim

-------------

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

You guys have any good tips for getting 20 year old hoses off???

Tim

There's a joke in there somewhere.

Steve

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 7:08pm
REMOVE is a start, this is precedded by a few glasses of Vino with a shot of soothing music.
Not a sure thing tho, if those hoses ain't been off in 20 years the smell will be a little strong.But go for it and report back if any more advice is needed... Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 7:41pm
HAHAH

-------------

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 7:52pm
When i try to remove mine...They will probably just crack and fall off...Then i will lightly sand the copper pipes smooth again.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: kevin719
Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 10:42pm
I cut a line from the end to just past the copper pipe with my die grinder.You have to listen for the sound of the blade hitting the metal and move so you do not cut the pipe! I was left with some scratches which I sanded the copper anyway and the new hose covers up.I am sure that there is many ways but working on drilling rigs every day I have found this the quickest and best way if you are going to re-use the fitting,pipe,ect.. If you go prying around with a screwdriver or something you will probably bend it out of shape and have leaks.

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 10:59pm
Or I guess a 20 yr old female could do the job lol.

-------------
kevinindy

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:22am
I just took mine off the Barracuda and just used a Utility knife to cut the hose. I was then able to just peel it back and remove it.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:57am
Ill use a carpet knife to cut the rubber, and a small cutting wheel i have to cut the wire.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 4:58am
Hey 74 ski nautique.Do you have some pics of your seats and especially the frames?? I am trying to figure out what I need to put back in this thing!Thanks,

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 6:22pm
Kevin, i'll take pictures of my seats. Me and my dad built our back seat b/c in 74, there wasn't an option for a back seat. Why do u need pictures?

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 7:05pm
My boat had no back seat when I bought it.Now I know why.I would just like something to go by and I will build.I have a 74 also is why I asked you.If you could get pics of your front seats and bases I would really appriciate it as well.I am finishing up my stringer/floor replacement and I still may be able to take it out this year! I have not taken it out yet! The floors were pretty bad when I bought it!Thanks again,Kevin

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 8:01pm
Kevin, My rear seat is no were anything like the front. It is really nice. I did it all my self. It has storage under the butt cusion due to my engineering of it. i have a Vinyl back cusion which i used velcro to hold it in. Whats your email.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: coltsphan
Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 10:28pm
Hye 74. I could use the same info for my 67 Mustang. Thanks! petebriggs@msn.com.

Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 10:33pm
74 thanks a lot! kevin719@comcast.net   I can build it but I am not creative enough to design it! Thanks again

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 10:34pm
hey Pete do you have pics of your mustang here? Kevin

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 10:40pm
Not yet. They haven't "approved" my diary. I do have some pics though. Who does your engine work?

Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 11:41pm
Pete I am a mechanic so I do my own.Ill tell you what even if you know nothing the guys here can help you with expert advice! I have spent the last 20 years working on construction equip with industrial engines so I have questions for these guys about the 351! Some of the threads here amazes me with the knowledge! I think some of these guys sleep with their boats or something.lol. Are you having engine probs? Kevin

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 12:33am
Hey Kevin. The engine is completely disassembled. The guy I bought it from had torn it down to rebuild but sold the boat to me. He has everything well organized. I would like to get it back together by spring. What do you think? Thanks.

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 4:56am
Hey guys, I'll try and take pictures of my back seat and pedistal on friday...what else you need? I love my seat design, its really nice. I have the pedistal sloped downward towards the back so the seat is reclined back just a tad. Its nice. If i can get the dimensions, anyone with a 2nd gen. hull can use it!

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:23am
well here's an option as i believe that the hulls are the same from 74-81 basicly and on the later years they add a rear seat and all it was is a pad for a backrest that snap to the boat and then a cushion that just sat on the floor and you can get these from Christine's upholestry. Now you won't have the storage but it's pretty easy to add.

-------------

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 2:46pm
Yea. I can keep two ski ropes, Dock lines, A tool box, and a first aid kit.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 2:59pm
Kevin719, You have a Southwind, 74SN has a Ski Nautique, big difference.   Your rear seat has a plywood base. 74SN's rear seat was just upholstered foam rubber.

The plywood base was 6" to 8" tall w/ 4" to 6" foam rubber on top, upholstered as one unit. With about 1 1/2" clearance on each side, (between seat and ski racks)

In the words of Rob Schnieder "You can do it!!!)

Al

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 3:31pm
Hey Doc. Will those dimensions work on my 67 Mustang?
Also, would you consider a trade for my torn down 289 and some cash for your 302? Just a thought.
Thanks!

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by coltsphan coltsphan wrote:

Hey Doc. Will those dimensions work on my 67 Mustang?
Also, would you consider a trade for my torn down 289 and some cash for your 302? Just a thought.
Thanks!

those will not work a mustang is shorter and narrower than a SN. If you are going to do it yourself it's not that big of a deal, measure and have a cushioned pad made for the back rest then get some snaps or make it a hard back and screw it to the existing pannel, for the bottom just make a retangular frame out 2x4's maybe 2x6's but that might be a little high once you add the foam, but just box it around the edges of the boat add a center cross support and a 5/8" plywood panel for the top that can be hinged and upholsetred and call it a day.

-------------

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 6:34pm
Is there supposed to be a piece of ply lag-screwed to the back first?To hide the tank and blower hoses? I did not remove one but there is 3 lag bolts screwed into the glass up top?

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 6:44pm
hey coltsphan If the previous owner tore down your engine I am thinking that there is a problem! If you have a 302 and are looking to upgrade there is a 351 complete for sale in the boat parts for sale for 500.That would be the cheapest way back on the water! What do your cylinders/pistons look like? I am guessing that new bearings and seal kit would be a couple hundred of dollars.Machine work and oversized pistons and valves and head work would easily put you over the 500.I have no problems with helping you if you want but I always look for the cheapest and easiest route! The 351 and 302 are the same block so you can use your tranny.Let me know

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:06pm
If your boat came with a 289/302 that is all that will fit under the engine box.
Kevin you are incorrect as to the 351 and 302 blocks being the same. Bellhousings will interchange, but the deck height on the 351 is taller, in turn the intake is wider so the manifolds are about 3" wider than a 302...............Boat dr

FYI..     351 intakes and distr. are different from their 302 cousins........The heads are close, 351 uses larger head bolts,1/2 " but the exhaust manifolds are the same......

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by kevin719 kevin719 wrote:

Is there supposed to be a piece of ply lag-screwed to the back first?To hide the tank and blower hoses? I did not remove one but there is 3 lag bolts screwed into the glass up top?

My 79 SN had a fiberglass panel screwed in behind the seat, but they weren't lags. My 88 has a 3-piece slip in back...no screws. It was mostly for looks in the older boat and is mostly a sound barrier in the 88 as well as support for the seat back.

I haven't seen a SW taken apart, but I'd bet something should be there; you'd probably get a hollow racket otherwise.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:18pm
Thanks for correcting me dr.! Learn something new every day!I was thinking that the windsor was the same block as the 289/302. Damn these guys are good! Anyway check your parts and post pics here.These guys will know the best route to take with your engine. Maybe someone here has rebuilt one and has a good price list.

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Kevin719, You have a Southwind, 74SN has a Ski Nautique, big difference.   Your rear seat has a plywood base. 74SN's rear seat was just upholstered foam rubber.

The plywood base was 6" to 8" tall w/ 4" to 6" foam rubber on top, upholstered as one unit. With about 1 1/2" clearance on each side, (between seat and ski racks)

In the words of Rob Schnieder "You can do it!!!)

Al

I have a plywood pedistal.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:52pm
I love how all this has nothing to do with exhaust hoses....hahahaha   I am making a new topic on rear seats!

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:58pm
Kevin, 260,289,302,351 are all considered Windsor class engines,but there are some common parts and there are parts unique to their Cubic Inch designation.
You also understand about left and right hand rotation, and the specialized parts that go with a reverse rotation motor.
Hang around and you will be in the same boat as the rest of us, Dazed And Confused..................Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Hang around and you will be in the same boat as the rest of us, Dazed And Confused..................Boat dr

Ha! I got past dazed and am only confused now?!!?   LOL

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 8:09pm

I have a plywood pedistal.

Then you may have had a ply back. Sorry to mistake your boat, but the info is still valid.

-------------

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 8:56pm
YEa it is...My seat is totally custom...

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 9:32pm
Kevin719,   Your exhaust h..... whoops ,sorry.
Your back rest for your rear seat was upholstered plywood with 3 keyhole shaped holes in the back, they just clipped down over the lags. No need for a separate tank cover plate.

coltsphan, Dont really need any 289 stuff, I do like cash though. And your rear seat was originally a one piece fiberglass w/ cushions.

BoatDr pretty much covered the whole FoMoCo thing

I might add, 260/289 bellhousing will not fit a 302

74SN, Excellent thread! Ya get those hoses off yet?

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 10:37pm
Yeah besides ouir companies rangers(about200 or so) the only Fords that I work with are the industrial 300's that are on some of the older rigs.Damn those engines run good!So the panel to cover the tank will be tricky to cut with the shelves or I think that they are called gunnels?Correct? Or does the panel get cut at the edge of them? I guess it will be covered up by the rear seat anyway?And Dr. thanks again for the info.Yeah I know that most of these engines rotate backwards and the specialty marine parts,I just didnt know about interchanging the small blocks. That would be great if he could do it! Did anyone see my thread about rebuilding my 4160?I just wondered if there is any pointers out there since I have not rebuilt a carb in years.(well not a 4 barrell) It would be nice to convert this to f.i.!

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 10:47pm

Kevin719,   Your exhaust h..... whoops ,sorry.
Your back rest for your rear seat was upholstered plywood with 3 keyhole shaped holes in the back, they just clipped down over the lags. No need for a separate tank cover plate.

coltsphan, Dont really need any 289 stuff, I do like cash though. And your rear seat was originally a one piece fiberglass w/ cushions.

BoatDr pretty much covered the whole FoMoCo thing

No, I am working with my dad on that tomorrow. I also have to replace the filler neck hose on the gas tank.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:03pm
[

Wrong, the 260/289 with 5 bolt mounting pattern will not fit , but the later style 6 bolt housing will 289/302/351. There are not many of the "OLD STYLE " blocks left to cloud this isssue.
If it has two bolts on the top it will fit if only on in the top center, it is indeed and OLD STYLE and will not........Boat dr

[/QUOTE]

No, I am working with my dad on that tomorrow. I also have to replace the filler neck hose on the gas tank. [/QUOTE]

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:52pm
Sorry back to the hose.My wife is 8 1/2 mo. pregnant and cant help me get the hose off any advise?lol utility knife seems a little harsh!!

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:54pm
Hey dr thanks for the rear seat info! I thought that those lags looked stock.Glad I asked before I filled those holes!

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:59pm
How do I determine which my motor rotates? Thanks.

Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 1:07am

It should say On the valve covers. The fireing order also gives...LH...RH...

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 10:23am

It should say On the valve covers. The fireing order also gives...LH...RH...

Instead of trying to figure out the firing order which requires looking it up, hopefully the boat has a prop on it! Look from the rear. It will be a RR if the prop rotates clockwise in forward.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 1:46pm
Good idea....dont forget about the 1.23 trans. how it is reversed. LH engine RH output.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 2:56pm
Great idea. However the engine is torn down and getting sent out for machining. I guess I will check the valve covers.

Thanks!

Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 3:49pm

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 3:53pm
Sorry to get off topic! Here is pics of mi copper pipe.I cleaned it with my die grinder and a 3m scotch pad.I call it a gasket remover.It took about 10 minutes to get the entire pipe and another 5min sanding by hand to get the bulk of the swirls out.I finished with 2 coates of engine clear to hopefully keep it looking clean.There is before and after pics.

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 4:45pm
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/kev00692/boat%20pipe/

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 11:53pm
Kevin, did you get my email.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 11:56pm

Great idea. However the engine is torn down and getting sent out for machining. I guess I will check the valve covers.

Thanks!

On mine, the engine info plate says R in big letters. I assume this is the engine rotation.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-24-2008 at 2:32am
74 yes thanks for your email! The boat dr. pretty much described what you built as to what came in my boat from the factory!Thanks again I really appreciate it!Kevin

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-24-2008 at 2:48am

No, I spent so much time reading all these non-related posts, I forgot to take my pipes off. I'll try again tomorrow.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-24-2008 at 3:00am
I got all the hoses off today and completed reinstallation on the port side. Looks great. Better than factory, the factory hoses had two big kinks in them. The front hose was about 70% blocked. I will send pictures if you want. I just need your email. I cant figure out how to post a picture in my text!!!

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-24-2008 at 9:49am
Which hose did you buy? My front hoses that connect to the manifolds both had pretty nasty kinks as well! I thought that the p.o. just did not slide the hose on far enough but he might have used the wrong hose for that first section that makes the bend.

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: August-24-2008 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by kevin719 kevin719 wrote:

Which hose did you buy? My front hoses that connect to the manifolds both had pretty nasty kinks as well! I thought that the p.o. just did not slide the hose on far enough but he might have used the wrong hose for that first section that makes the bend.

I got it drom DIM. It is Premium 3" corrugated with wire. Designed for bends over 20 degrees. THAT STUFF WAS TOUGH! My dad and I Barely got them on the manifolds AT ALL! I took pictures of the finished job. LOOKS GREAT!

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: 88 Nautique
Date Posted: August-24-2008 at 7:06pm

I cant figure out how to post a picture in my text!!!

Chris,
Here's a good post from Randy in Ohio on posting pics:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5142&KW=photo - Posting Pictures

Kurt

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1657" rel="nofollow - My 88 Nautique

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-25-2008 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Instead of trying to figure out the firing order which requires looking it up, hopefully the boat has a prop on it! Look from the rear. It will be a RR if the prop rotates clockwise in forward.

That piece of advice is all well and good when youre dealing with a boat of this era (70's), but dont forget that 89+ Nautiques with the 1.23 trans use LH engines to spin RH props.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2008 at 4:04pm
Hey Kevin, my diary is up and running. I only have two pics. I will add some more soon.

Date Posted: August-26-2008 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

That piece of advice is all well and good when youre dealing with a boat of this era (70's), but dont forget that 89+ Nautiques with the 1.23 trans use LH engines to spin RH props.

Yea, I think my Grandpas 89 SN has an idler gear or something that reverses the transmissions output directioin.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: September-15-2008 at 11:29pm
We are all finsihed with out exhaust replacement. The engine is MUCH louder than before because the manifold hose was about 80% blcoked due to a kink! The photos are backwards somehow, so the last picture is really the first picture. So You can click slideshow, then click reverse order! check 'em out!   

http://s437.photobucket.com/albums/qq97/19SkiNautique74/Exhaust%20Repair/ - Exhaust hose pics

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: Sam B
Date Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:06am
I made stainless exhaust hoses sounds realy good. Just another idea for you guys.

-------------
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

%20http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3391&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1973&yrend=1973" rel="nofollow - Sam's 73

Date Posted: September-24-2008 at 12:49am
Looks nice sam. My new hoses really made a huge difference in performance. MUCH more acceleration.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: September-24-2008 at 1:07am

Looks nice same. My new hoses really made a huge difference in performance. MUCH more acceleration.

???????????????????????

by the way, that red Crusader looks awesome!!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: September-24-2008 at 1:16am
I think he was trying to say Sam.

-------------
Loud pipes save lives!!

%20http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3391&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1973&yrend=1973" rel="nofollow - Sam's 73

Date Posted: September-24-2008 at 2:52am
Sam how did you make those stainless pipes? They look great! Kevin

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: September-24-2008 at 10:05am
The Kinked hoses were blocking A LOT of exhaust and water from escaping, now, i found my self doing 40 mph, when i thot i was doing 32! Gets there much faster!

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: September-25-2008 at 12:55am
I bought 4 90 degree stainless 3" bends from Jegs. Tig welded them togeter then polished. Sounds great!

Bends $50.00 each x 4

Just another recipt I dont show the wife.

-------------
Loud pipes save lives!!

Date Posted: September-25-2008 at 10:11pm
Sam we need to hook-up sometime so I can check out your boat and maybe get some ideas for mine! I have the crusader engine as well and really like those stainless pipes! Kevin

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: September-25-2008 at 10:16pm
Hey Kevin. You and Sam should come by. I just picked up a second 67 Mustang yesterday in Atlanta. It has all of the original parts.

-------------
Pete

http://www.saveyourwindos.com - www.indianawindowresto.com

http://photobucket.com/coltsphan - 67 Mustangs

Date Posted: September-25-2008 at 11:49pm
Kevin,

I would love to have you swing over and check it out, just let me know when . I will be helping a friend move on Saterday and I will be out at Racoon lake on Sunday. So any time During the week is good for me. Do you still have my Email?

Pete,

Good deal! Now you have all the parts to finish your boat. How do you hide two from the wife?

-------------
Loud pipes save lives!!

Date Posted: September-26-2008 at 1:18am
Hey Sam. No more secrets here. I came clean. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Who did your paint and how much was it? The second hull seems to have good stringers but needs paint.

Thank.

-------------
Pete

http://www.saveyourwindos.com - www.indianawindowresto.com

http://photobucket.com/coltsphan - 67 Mustangs

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-26-2008 at 8:36am

Who did your paint and how much was it? The second hull seems to have good stringers but needs paint.
Thank.

Pete, Is it that bad? Any gel cracking? You should be looking into re gel coating the hull.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-27-2008 at 12:47am
Pete,

I am with Pete B on this if your gell coat is not cracked try to wet sand and buff. This seems to help uphold the value of your boat. Mine had some cracking so I had it painted. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought a boat with no cracking and sanded and buffed. But if painting is needed call Jason 317-850-5531. He is our composites expert at the raceteam. Before that he was the painter at Ganassi Racing. His work is a little spendy but you get what you pay for.If you would like to see his work come on over.

Sam

-------------
Loud pipes save lives!!

Date Posted: September-27-2008 at 1:57pm
Sam send me your email again please.Do you work for Ganassi? I have a good friend of mine that I think still works there.Dont spaek as much since we both got married

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:56am
Kevin,

My Email is samb.1@att.net

I work at Vision Racing Tony George's team.

-------------
Loud pipes save lives!!

Print Page | Close Window