Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11842
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 1:29pm

Topic: Question for Eric - Dexron VI
Posted By: nuttyskier2002
Subject: Question for Eric - Dexron VI
Date Posted: September-04-2008 at 4:45am
Now that Dexron VI is on the market and it no longer carries the Mercon spec, and GM specifies Dexron VI for all 2006 and up vehicles.......what will be the prefered oil to use once all the Dexron III is used up? Is this going to be a concern or will the oil companies continue to produce Dexron/Mercon?

-------------
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Replies:
Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: September-04-2008 at 9:53am
i would think they will label the new oil "compatible with Dex/Merc, the biggest concern is not using a synthetic oil.
transmissions will basically run on anything even SAE30w engine oil, or even a 10 wt hydraulic oil, the biggest concerns with the oils is that they have a tendency to foam after 3000 rpm's and use of engine oil in diesel applications keeps them under the 3000 rpms in most cases. the biggest thing to keep in mind is no full synthetics because of the clutch breakaway. as trannys evolve they are using different clutch materials to where the syn do not effect them.....guys have used full synthetics in the past in the smaller propped ski boats and have had not had any problems, but also have not had any problems with Dex/Merc. unlike an engine there really is no metal to metal contact in a transmission to justify the use of syns.

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: September-04-2008 at 12:18pm
I havent read up on this, but it sounds like Dex VI is compatible with Dex II/III? Dex IV/V are not, correct?

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: September-05-2008 at 12:39pm
Borg Warner: word for word from the latest manual.
change oil every thousand hours or...annually,
check oil when at op temp after immediately turning engine off.
Oil recomedation:
General Motors Dexron III,
approved specifications are:
GM Dexron IIE or DexronIII
Ford Mercon
Detroit Diesel Allison C4
Caterpillar TO-4
Daimler- Benz 236.6

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: September-05-2008 at 12:59pm
Eric, I switched to Dexron III instead of the Alison C4 and I could notice an improvement in the neutral drag. I also saved a few bucks.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Print Page | Close Window