Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11921
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 1:34pm

Topic: Killswitch install help
Posted By: Chris4x4gill2
Subject: Killswitch install help
Date Posted: September-12-2008 at 5:39pm
Hey guys, I need some help with wiring in a kill switch on my 1989 SN2001. I see on the wiring diagram that the wire from the ignition to the coil is purple. Where is the best place to splice the kill switch in at? When I look under the dash there is a connector in the wiring harness mounted under the dash. It has the harness coming out of it with a purple wire in it. Is this the one I need to splice?

Replies:
Date Posted: September-12-2008 at 6:56pm
OK, I looked at the wiring diagram closer....its kinda hard to read those scans. I thin kI was correct that its the purple wire coming out from under the dash. From looking at the coil, I am pretty sure this is correct sicne the same wire goes to the coil on the engine.

I spliced the switch into the purple wire, and mounted the kill switch on the lowest part of the dash I could on the starboard side of the steering wheel.

Initial tests show it to be working. without the lanyard disconnected, it will spin the starter but not start, with it connected the motor will start.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-12-2008 at 7:00pm
Chris, I know Tim (TRBenj) is out at the reunion so I'll post this wiring diagram he drew up. Hope it helps. You are correct that the switch should go in the purple wire.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-12-2008 at 9:05pm
Thanks for the diagram. That one is much easier to read than the one in the resources archive. I'm not on the water so I cant tell for sure if I have it correct until tomorrow, but I'm pretty confident its right.

I'll be taking my electrical tape and pliers with me just in case though

Posted By: nuttyskier2002
Date Posted: September-13-2008 at 5:21am
Purple is pretty much the universal color used on the switched side of the ignition circuit. Follow this wire to your ignition switch. It should be connected to the "I" terminal on the switch. If you disconnect this wire from the switch and turn the ignition switch ON, you should have ~0 volts on the + side of the coil in reference to ground. Hope this helps. - Brian

-------------
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-13-2008 at 8:49am
The purple wire should only feed the ignition off the switched side. The other feeds should be red going to things like the gauges.

Chris, sounds like you do have it connected properly. BTW, I hope you did use some decent marine wiring practices using solderless terminals (there are high end ones with adhesive lined heat shrink on the ends) and some dielectric grease. I don't like the sound of you mentioning the electric tape!!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-15-2008 at 12:10pm
I tested it out when I got to the ramp Saturday and it worked fine.

I used solderless connectors, but I did not think to use dielectric. The electrical tape comment was for if it didnt work when I got to the ramp. I'd have undone the splice and taped it up temporarily.

Only electrical tape I use otherwise is to help take up any slack in the wiring or to help hold the new wire against the wire loom.

Print Page | Close Window