Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12250
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 3:33pm

Topic: Winterizing my PCM inboard
Posted By: engrguy
Subject: Winterizing my PCM inboard
Date Posted: October-25-2008 at 11:09pm
I have an older Moomba with a 351 ford pcm. I talked to the local boat repair guy who works on them about winterizing it. He told me to pull the plugs on the exhaust manifolds and one on each side of the block. I pulled the manifold plugs and out come water so I moved to the block plugs. But when I removed the acorn nut on the drivers side towards the rear of the engine the bolt it was attached to disapeared. I removed the plug towards the front on the engine on the same side and water came out. I pulled the plug on the passenger side but not the acorn nut and water came out. My question is what is the deal with the missing bolt on the drivers side? And what do I do about plugging that hole back up now that the bolt or stud is gone? Suggestions please?

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-25-2008 at 11:38pm
eng,
There is only one block drain on both the port and starboard side of the engine so I don't know what the acorn nut was that you removed. Can you post a picture or maybe one of our other members will know exactly what it is.

You also need to drain the "J" tube on the front of the engine. Here's a picture:

The last drain point is the oil cooler. This can be done by simply removing the water hose off the bottom. Here's the picture of the typical trans oil cooler:

Photos courtesy of Tim (TRBenj)

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-25-2008 at 11:47pm
It was located just above the starter and leads into the water jacket. there is one on the passenger side towards the motor mount. The boat is a 1992

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 12:00am
eng,
Why do you feel it goes into the water jacket? Water didn't come out. Are you sure you haven't opened up a port into a oil passage?

BTW, you should be probing all the drains with a piece of wire to make sure sediment and scale isn't blocking water preventing it from draining.

Does your boat have a sea strainer on it?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 12:02am
No water did come out (just like a drain plug)and it is in line with eth freeze plugs and the front drain

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 9:45am
eng,
Sorry but I'm trying to figure out this problem and not getting a clear picture. Posting a picture would certainly help myself and others here.

The "acorn" nut - do you mean a pipe cap? The bolt that "disappeared" - could it have been a pipe nipple? I'm wondering if a PO (or even a "mechanic") stuck whatever he could find in the hole to plug it up!! Are there enough threads left in the hole for you to see if they are pipe treads? Try a 1/4 or 1/8 pipe plug in it.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Brady
Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 1:22pm
Pete
This sounds like he pulled one of those removable core plugs, and backed the nut off to far and dropped bolt into the water jacket

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 3:02pm
eng,
Charlie has a good comment. I tried to find a picture of the port side of a block but couldn't. Here's another one of Tim's pictures showing the starboard side. It's basically the same and does show both the block drain and the core plugs (some, and yourself call them freeze plugs). We'd still like a picture but how big is this "acorn" nut you are talking about? Notice the block drain is the pipe plug with the arrow. To the left are the core plugs. Shown are the original that are pressed in. Sometimes if they rust out or become loose say from a block freezing (not drained in the winter) these plugs are replaced with a "repair" plug. It is basically a rubber expansion plug with a bolt in the middle used to pull it into the hole in the block.

I forgot to welcome you to the site. Welcome!! Tell us some more about yourself and the boat.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 3:30pm
I found another picture! Another member had us going trying to describe his problem. He then posted this picture. The brass plug above the starter is a high end (fancy) repair plug. Is this similar?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 4:55pm
THATS IT!!!! The pic above teh starter!!! I was just going to go out and take a pic and there it was. The boat is a 1992. There was a threded item that stuck out and it got pushed in some to see if more water would come out (won't say who did it) and it must have fell into the wtaer jacket area. I didn't do it so I am unclear. I put a magnet in it but it would not drop down and would only go straight is so here I am now unsure of what to do.

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 5:44pm
Replace the freeze plug.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 6:44pm
So that is a freeze plug? It was painted over so it locked like it was part of the block.   So I can just pry it off and fish in there to find the bolt and then replace the whole plug.

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The brass plug above the starter is a high end (fancy) repair plug.

You can install a normal marine brass (drive in), the more common rubber repair type or one of the brass repair plugs. The other member who found one on his block (pictured) did find the exact same brass repair at a auto supply.

Sounds like the Moomba has seen a hard winter in Michigan!!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10818&KW=winterizing - other thread with brass repair plug

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 7:00pm
LOL well she hasn't seen a hard winter yet but I am preparing it for one.   Thanks so much. It is a 92 needs some interior work now, and some new decals but hey it's paid for and that is good. Oh yes and it had a NEW tranny put in it this year also. i am hoping to sell the old one to someone so they can rebuild it and at lest recoup some of the cost of the new tranny.

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 7:38pm
en
you may or may , if you cant I dont think it will do any harm.not be able to fish out the bolt

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Date Posted: October-26-2008 at 7:41pm
Oops, lost control of the spell check! That was supposed to read: You may or may not be able to retrieve the bolt, if you can't I don't think it will do any harm.

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Date Posted: October-27-2008 at 7:43am
Last evening I went to our fall dinner/elections of the Blackhawk ACBS chapter. One of our members has rebuilt marine engines all his life and now actually does it for a living. Knowing I would see him, I printed out the picture of the brass repair plug for him to see. It's a new one on him too!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-27-2008 at 9:20am
Pete
I think its hard copper

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: October-27-2008 at 10:16am
not to rain on anyones parade, but it looks very similar to a block heater, Ive installed that style into diesel blocks in the past.....just a thought, it does look like one, the only thing is a cord is missing

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: October-27-2008 at 11:01am
The Web is certainly amazing!!

http://www.hothemiheads.com/dodge/main_caps/freeze_plugs_expansion.html - early dodge hemi freeze plugs

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-27-2008 at 9:20pm
Pete
how long did you look for those?

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Date Posted: October-27-2008 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Pete
how long did you look for those?

When it came up in the earlier thread (I linked it), I did the searching and found a picture referencing it as a early hemi plug. This time all I did was google "early dodge hemi freeze plug" and it was on the top of the list!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window