Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12298
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 3:37pm

Topic: Starting Issues
Posted By: Rglover
Subject: Starting Issues
Date Posted: November-03-2008 at 3:29pm
This weekend I winterized for the first time. I have an '86 Martinique that we purchased this summer and it has the PCM 351 and Holley 4 bbl . I haven't used the boat for about a month and when I tried to crank it to warm it up and spray the fogging oil it was extremely hard to crank. I had pumped the throttle alot and never saw gas spray in the carb. I evetually had to hook up the battery charger and pour a little gas in the carb. Once I did that it cranked and ran like a top. Could this mean that I need to rebuild the carb over the winter? Maybe the seals are dry and it's allowing the fuel to drain back down too much? Any other suggestions?

Also, I tightened up the packing nut this weekend too as it was leaking pretty heavy this summer. After tightening I turned the prop and it seems much more firm than it was before. I can still turn it relatively easy but it is firm. I made two rounds on the packing nut when I tightened it. One and a half seemed to be firm but I had to complete the turn to get the tie wire back in. Does this all sound normal or should I have only needed one turn of the nut?

Thanks for all of your input!

Replies:
Posted By: bill1
Date Posted: November-03-2008 at 10:38pm
how old is the battery? when you first started turning it over, did it spin fast or slow?

-------------
bill

Date Posted: November-03-2008 at 10:56pm
The battery was fresh. I cranked a good while when it started to slow down. That's when I hooked up the battery charger and resorted to the gas in the carb to get it started.

Posted By: Brktracer
Date Posted: November-05-2008 at 12:43am
Sounds like you might be ready for a carb rebuild.

After you got the engine to start, does the carb spray gas or not?

Matt

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3180 - 1976 Nautique

Date Posted: November-05-2008 at 12:40pm
Thanks Matt,

Yes, after the engine started it ran like a top as far as idling and revving a little to warm up to operating temperature. Of course there was no way to test it under load, but I have been thinking I may need a carb rebuild since I bought the boat. No major issues, just some hard starting now and then and some missing on acceleration now and then.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: November-05-2008 at 10:34pm
Rg - Make sure & check your timing before the carb rebuild. I played with different timing settings & resulted in noticeably harder starting.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: November-06-2008 at 11:09am
I will do that SN. Thanks.

By the way, does anyone have thoughts about the second part of my post regarding the shaft packing nut?

Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: November-06-2008 at 6:11pm
I don't think you will be able to really tell where the packing nut should be until you put it in the water.
I replaced mine with the Gortex stuff, I took it out after replacing it and the shaft got kind of hot at first so I backed it off a turn or two and it has been fine since. You need to have a few drops a minute to keep it cool.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: November-06-2008 at 8:36pm
I second Randy's position -- I found that the packing nut adjustment to be rather sensitive, only 1 hex flat difference between running hot & leaking too much. I found the sweet spot & haven't had to touch it all summer.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: November-07-2008 at 10:26am
Do you not worry about the two positions for the safety wire being lined up?

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: November-07-2008 at 10:49am
The wire isn't really to keep it in a given place; it's to save catastophic failure.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Print Page | Close Window