Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12599
Printed Date: June-24-2024 at 8:27am

Topic: Restoring 82SN in South Africa
Posted By: nautiless
Subject: Restoring 82SN in South Africa
Date Posted: December-30-2008 at 1:34pm
Hi There:

To start, i must say that i have had a burning desire to park one of the CC animals in my driveway for many years. When you grow up boating it is clear that for in shore entertainment....all roads lead to correct craft. As a young family, we planned this acquisition for years. When we bought our house, we planned and built a storage space to keep a 2001, i bought my last car with the specs to haul a 2001 and i also married a woman who supports our ownership of a 2001.

Inboards are quite rare and expensive in South Africa. I would imagine that trade sanctions during apartheid prevented the establishment of dealerships in SA. Also, the exchange rate to the dollar and import tarrifs on the boats made them expensive to acquire and maintain. The result is that there are very few old nautiques around in our parts.

The advent of wakeboarding has also meant a resurgence in our used market so any, and i mean any, are snapped up quickly whilst the same exchange and import tarrif's keep new boats out of reach in terms of price. A new 210 Air will set me back close to your equivalent USD75 000 after duties and shipment!

After a long wait and much searching i managed to salvage this old dog. We took the call knowing up front that all 2001's will need a full stringer repair (no half measures in SA). We chose her because she only has 550hrs and has had her motor and trans recently overhauled (2 hrs since). All her running gear is in good shape bar the pitots. The floor was shot and seperated from the hull from port bow to the motor. The entire bow section was soft.

USD5000 and 450 miles later she was parked at home. Here are some pics before resto:

I plan to go full hog on this old dog as i can see she has huge potential. Everything is to be as original as possible. I plan to:
- Replace all stringers, foam and floor;
- Shine up the motor and auxilliaries (cosmetic work)
- Wet sand and buff the gel, also repainting the striping;
- Cut some new decals and replace the rub rail; and
- Sand and repaint her trailer together with some new rims.

To give you an idea i bought for USD5000, the repair will add another USD3000 ending at USD8000. 2001'S with double the hours and not rebuilt retail for around USD13000 and never stand long.

Although i have progressed a way, summer rains and my day job have hampered my progress so far. I'll be sure to post more pics of the restore in my next post.

-------------
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4400 - Don's Diary

Replies:
Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: December-30-2008 at 2:41pm
You're already drawing attention at the ramp...good luck!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: 86BFN
Date Posted: December-30-2008 at 8:24pm
Are you going to change your username from nautiless to nautifull. LOL

-------------
👣 Steve
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4057&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1986" rel="nofollow - 86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: December-30-2008 at 9:52pm
Donovan,

Congrats on the new boat, sure it will be even better when you complete your restoration!

I am no expert however it looks like your engine has an automotive air cleaner, if that is the case be sure and replace that with a genuine spark arrestor, would hate to see your new ride go up in smoke.

Good Luck with it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: December-30-2008 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Donovan,

Congrats on the new boat, sure it will be even better when you complete your restoration!

I am no expert however it looks like your engine has an automotive air cleaner, if that is the case be sure and replace that with a genuine spark arrestor, would hate to see your new ride go up in smoke.

Good Luck with it.

Yes Definitely, that's what it looks like to me too.
I'd recomend a http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Fuel_Systems/flame-arrestor-kne.htm - K & N Performance Flame Arestor if you have to change it. Get the tallest one that will fit under the motor box. Don't forget the hose fittings too.

-------------
👣 Steve
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4057&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1986" rel="nofollow - 86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: December-30-2008 at 11:31pm
Nautiless - Congratulations on getting the world's finest ski towboat & also on having a wife who likes it as much as you.

That's a great recipe for family fun.

We sure like ours!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 8:21am
86, Quinner:

I also picked that up and have been wondering. Although the flame arrestor's name is self explanatory, would you be able to explain how it operates and prevents a fire? What would happen or be the cause of any sort of flame in this area of the motor? Although i am familiar with the workings of a motor, this is sadly my weak point i.t.o knowledge and i'd like to understand the risk.

Thanks for advice so far.

-------------

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 9:27am
If your motor backfires and there are fumes present, you've got big problems. It is my understanding that it keep the flames inside the carb. They are required here in the states and I assume everywhere else, for good reason. It's not worth the risk. It only takes once.

Have a Happy New Year!
Steve

-------------
👣 Steve

89 Martinique

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 10:07am
Knowing that a stringer job was on the cards i began pulling the carpet and found significant floor separation at the bow. Although not clear in the photos, i could stick a driver between the hull and floor and virtually peel like a banana.

Port side:

Starboard side, you can actually see the watermark left on the floor where dirty water just lay:

The section of floor under the observer seat was totally cooked. In the pic below you can actually see where rot has penetrated and weekend the original fibre lay-up:

Opening the floor, this is what i found:

That is damn nasty! I'm amazed that no further structural damage is found in the hull lay-up. The saving grace is probably that the PO hardly used the boat the last 2 or 3 seasons. Those stringers were no more, just a fine dust right back to the motor and i virtually vacuumed them out.The bow floor section, support struts and battery box supports were completely disintegrated. Here is an overhead of the observer main, merely matchwood:

The tools use to cut out the floor differ slightly as sawzalls aren't available in SA. I also don't have an air compressor (costly) so air powered tools weren't an option. I used an ordinary electric hand held jigsaw and a mini grinder (hard to reach corner cutting) to cut and lift the floor. Protective gear is a must as the fibre shatters into fine airborne pieces when cut with a rough saw blade which i'm sure would do damage to lungs and eyes. I used safety goggles and surgical breathers (cheaper by the dozen at a local pharmacy)to cover my face. To stop the itch to some extent i also used surgical gloves and long sleeves. I taped the shirt cuffs to the glove at the wrist....Mrs nautiless liked the look.

Taking the foam out is quick. I used the pitchfork suggested and it does come out in chunks. A bread knife and a wire brush work just fine to scratch it out of those cramped spaces.

The rear floor lifted.

While all of this was going on i got master nautiless to fix the PO's mess of varnish on the swim platform. He helped me sand down the platform and later finish it off with teak oil. It's amazing when you buy a boat that all of a sudden..your five year old loses his fear of noise...wonderful.

This boat will eventually be owned by my son as life passes. He will also get much enjoyment from my ownership. I like to keep him involved all the way....it's also good quality time between father and son...working a project together.

More to follow.

-------------

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 10:16am
Thanks 86:

I'll be sure to get a proper flame arrestor to avoid the "just once." To also check the fume risk i made sure the blower is in order, i also intend to consider mounting 2 automated fire extinguishers (saw them in one of our local fishing mags). One in the motor housing and the other in the fuel cell compartment.

I haven't really looked into this in depth so i'm not sure how this would be done or how the system works. I'll check out the article closer to the time and add in to a post.

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 10:30am
you have a good choice of wood in your area, what are the different types of wood on your continent?
welcome, at first I thought....it wouldve been a first.
nice to see your getting your son involved

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 11:38am
Hi Eric:

Thanks for your welcome. Nelspruit is situated within our nation's largest timber harvesting region. Eucalyptus and pine are grown and milled a stones throw away. Eucalyptus tends to split at the ends easily and the local pine is to weak for this use. We do have indigenous species but their harvesting is well regulated and are largely used for export and exclusive applications and are costly. I managed to source douglas fir (oregon pine) for the secondaries and meranti for the primaries. Meranti marginally outperforms douglas fir i.t.o tensile, bending and compressive strength at a similar cubic density. There may well be better options but these were the best option i.t.o properties, cost and supply. I also deviated from douglas fir for the primaries as i wasn't able to source timber that would provide solid one piece primaries.

-------------

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 12:02pm
Sounds like you've done your homework. I didn't know of meranti so I did a little quick reading.

In the help I received on my project, there was discussion of adhesion. It might be worthwhile to test how well your epoxy or poly will stick to the meranti; and also how well CPES will soak in if you are using it.

For reference, I had to chisel the original glass off of the semi-rotten stringers for disposal. Excellent adhesion after 20 years on rotten wood!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 1:03pm
my comaparison on these boats to others such as a 35 Fountain, aft engine mount to a ruler extended about 8 ft, very flimsy, and these Correct Crafts to an old cast iron bath tub with legs, they are very rigid and solid and not much flexing. pretty durable even with rotted stringers

-------------

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 1:21pm
Cutting the stringers out was tough. I did say that i was using an electric jigsaw, which was a real cheap one. I budgeted burning one out while cutting out stringers and i did. I kept with the rule of one stringer out at a time but started with the drivers secondary as this would give me the best pattern to work from with the least risk of the hull distorting despite bracing.

Two points of departure from what i've seen on the site so far:

First, when cleaning the channels left after removing the stringer, i noticed how water had degraded the fibre and glass bonding the stringer to the hull. It looked as if unglassed/exposed raw fibre had absorbed moisture (capiliary action?)which led to it's breakdown. I decided to bond the stringers to the hull by retaining the channel at 1/4 inch deep and filling it with epoxy resin/cabosil with cotton flock and ground fibre. The flock combined with ground fibre would replace fibre mat and strengthen the bond while minimising the risk of bond breakdown as is would effectivley create a single piece of solid glass compound bonded to the hull. Getting the consistency just right was important; it had to flow easily into the channel edge and be thin enough for bubbles to escape or easily removed to give the solid section effect

Secondly, i decided to exclude the foam filled core on the midship secondaries and rather form a complete laminate block of timber. Perhaps this was an odd decision, but i had a bit of surplus timber and i figured this would only add strength.

Filleting along the hull/stringer, followed by ever widening layers of epoxy resin, mat and finally cloth were done on each stringer as you've seen before.

Two secondaries glued in:

The worst part of all of this is grinding...and grinding...and white dust..and white dust. Mrs nautiless will need a new vacumm cleaner after all of this...which is not in the budget.

Mrs nautiless was also very knid to arrange a set of these....Nice!

-------------

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 1:23pm
Nautiless,

Congrats on your boat. Also, particularly on the boat loving family, that is key. It let's you have a bit more flexibility on what you want to do without resorting to deceit. I am currently repairing my wife's boat and have a lot of latitude with what i want to do, and paying for it, since it is hers.
Good luck with your project. The end part starts to come together pretty quickly once you get all the hard stuff you are currently doing sorted.

Mike

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 1:29pm
Eric:

The boat doesn't seem too "flappy" and rather tank-ish, agreed. Not often you see a hull this thick? This i can confirm by my fuel consumption and dead weight under tow. She's pretty solid on the road too.

-------------

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 1:44pm
Nice hull you have there.

In the mid eighties our club's '68 nautique hit a wooden runabout in a conveging but glancing blow to the side of each boat. The wooden boat was in splinters and the '68 had a scratch in the gell but no spidering.
Yes, they are tanks.

Given the accelerated rot that occured there, you may want to consider building foam-free and using pool noodles instead.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 2:27pm
Wakeslayer:

I've been following your posts too. I too am keen on a second and have my eye on this one. I hope it's around early 2010. The owner took it off the market for sentimental reasons, maybe he'll sell in a year or so. Not quite sure which it is. 6.4l interceptor motor, 1965? I really like the speedo's!

Gotta Ski:

Thanks for the tip. The problem here is that our state declared new water craft legislation August 08 which closes that as an option. I need to achieve a volume/%weight bouyancy of 30% with approved materials on a boat like this. With a hefty motor and tank design i'll just get through my inspection with foam. I'd like to whack the inspector with the pool noodles

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Donovan,

Good Luck with it.

Yes Definitely, that's what it looks like to me too.
I'd recomend a http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Fuel_Systems/flame-arrestor-kne.htm - K & N Performance Flame Arestor if you have to change it. Get the tallest one that will fit under the motor box. Don't forget the hose fittings too.

I havent seen one quite like it, but that looks like a flame arrestor element to me. Nautiless, is the element made of metal or some sort of fiber? If its metal, it could very well be an arrestor. Check the underside for USCG markings.

Either way, Im going to disagree with 86BFN's recommendation of the K&N unit. They do look nice, but thats hardly enough to justify the pricetag, IMO. They dont offer a performance improvement- normal flame arrestors are not restrictive at all.

-------------

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 3:14pm
hey Nautiless

That second is a pretty sweet ride as well.    I just got a 68, but it ain't in anywhere near that kind of shape. Needs a full restoration. That will be my winter 2010 project.
It has a 396 in it? If so, WOW.     Mine has a 318. not a motorhead at all, so cannot say from looking at it, one of the dudes here will know.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 3:27pm
Hi Benj:

It has a wire grid surround but has some kind of element material within. I'll have to check it out when i pick up the motor. It's i for a cosmetic clean up while i rebuild this floor. I'll be sure to touch base with you guys again to confirm i'm on the right track with this arrestor.

-------------

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 4:34pm
those look like Helen Keller gauges

-------------

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 5:05pm
I wonder what the lever behind the wheel on the right is for. My 82 don't have one.

-------------

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 5:45pm
That is your shifter.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: December-31-2008 at 8:16pm
Isn't that the wiper stalk?

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-03-2009 at 5:40am
LOL...

To bring this up to current. Two main stringers glassed in and so to say done.

This week i began cutting and sealing the bow bulkhead. I will try to complete it's installation together with the braces between the primaries and secondaries. For the bulhead i'm using 1 inch ply, the braces will be 2 inch ply laminate. Everything is thoroughly drenched in epoxy.

Being rainy season it's not always possible to work in the cockpit. I often find myself finding that something else to do....

I've polished the motor mount so long...

A great thing to do in the wet after removing the old decals is to wet sand.

I have gone through sanding her over with 800 and 1000 grit. One more shift of 1600 grit the we can begin buffing and polishing. By my progress on the wet sanding you can tell we've had a bumper rainy season.

-------------

Date Posted: January-03-2009 at 12:23pm
its nice to know that im not the only one itching today

-------------

Date Posted: January-03-2009 at 12:48pm
That looks like you are making some pretty good progress. I assume you had quite a bit done before you started this thread. How much time do you have in so far? When did you start? I have right around 100 hours into mine, and I started at the end of October. Iexpect another 50 hours and am shooting to be done by the end of January.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-03-2009 at 1:46pm
time isnt important, whats the beer ratio? according to my calculations when your done Mike, you shouldve drank 450 beers

-------------

Date Posted: January-03-2009 at 1:52pm
Eric, that is a pretty impressive calculation.
I have failed to retain that data, but if my cardboard pile and recycling bin are any kind of a representation, I am halfway there at this point. You do count the celebratory session at the end, and, of course, the christening in the Spring, right?
It is possible, I may need to step it up here.

On that note, I need to run to the hardware store, and the LQ, and get back at it.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-04-2009 at 12:09pm
I did factor in the wife count, thats where you said you only drank 3 but it was really 6, and also factored your buds popping in empty handed and tapping into your supply lol

-------------

Date Posted: January-04-2009 at 12:42pm
You are a true visionary. +8

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-04-2009 at 2:25pm
I know better, the wife watches me like a hawk, I re-invent "the sneak" all the time, On Christmas Eve, I snuck a little to much with the large size of Crown Royal and a half a bottle of CC, all of her relatives were over and I was pouring heavies. thats called the kitchen pass because you are enteraining her relatives and then she doesnt mind you drinking. alls well and ends well, she cleaned up the bathroom cause i didnt quite reach the toilet....first time in 10 years
lol

-------------

Date Posted: January-04-2009 at 6:41pm
^^ why I drink beer only ^^

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-04-2009 at 6:50pm
I stick to beer too, I had the "kitchen Pass"

-------------

Date Posted: January-05-2009 at 8:57am
WakeSlayer:

I collected the boat end July 08 with summer drawing near. We are expecting a daughter end Feb so i took the call to start the resto immediately. The diifculty and delays are that i work in retail so i tend to get home later than most which also includes Saturdays.

I bought a new boat cover (heavy duty) but haven't yet built the carport that covers the boat parking, which means that rain is a huge delay (can't lift cover to wet a brand new set of stringers) and it's rain season.

The progress above is up to date. I managed to shape and laminate the removable floor and struts between the primaries and secondaries as well as glass in the bow bulk head this weekend.

This week i'll do the final glass beading on the bow bulkhead, glass in the struts between primaries and secondaries, clean grind where floor meets hull, shape and laminate struts between secondaries and hull (floor supports)and do the final levelling of the stringers in prep for the floor.

I hope to beging casting foam this weekend as well as begin shaping and laminating the main floor board ahead of the motor.

Although i've kept detailed records of cost i can best guess my time spent as follows:

1) Removing old floor, foam and through hull fittings: 7 hours

2) Cutting out stringers and grinding: 15 hours

3) Shaping and laminating new stringers: 15 hours

4) Glassing in new stringers: 12 hours

5) Swim platform clean up, windshield, clean up, polishing all chrome, rebuild and regrease shifter: 8 hours.

6) Remove old decals and wet sand 1 and 2: 18 hours

Gets me to around 70 hours.

At least another 30 to 40 to go.

-------------

Date Posted: January-05-2009 at 9:04am
WakeSlayer:

I forgot, i'm aiming to complete the floor and interior by the end of Feb. Exterior by end march. Perhaps i've underestimated my time to completion. Also, not too many "refreshments" while a work. A good few beers and rum and coke. Things get sloppy if you get cooked. I've already cut through my grider lead twice and my belt sander has swallowed it's own lead causing quite a scene. Let's just say i'll blame those accidents on the presence of large amounts of white dust.

-------------

Date Posted: January-05-2009 at 10:25am
comes with the territory, leave the button on the grinder and plug it in, same with the belt sander....you need to grind a big gash in your thigh to make everything official, itch till you bleed

-------------

Date Posted: January-10-2009 at 10:15am
Did the final levelling of the stringers and cleaned out all the dust and washed down the interior with soap and water last night in preparation to cast foam this weekend.

This week I managed to glass in the bulkheads and struts and do some minor filleting around the flow holes at the rear and centre of the main stringers. I also did the final glassing on all the stringer ends.

I am falling behind with the bow floor section. I'm struggling to find the right air ducting, i also managed to trash my battery box when i cut into the floor so i need to rebuild it or find another one. My day job also has prevented me from finishing the bow floor board.

I'll post more pics when i've made decent progress this weekend........if the rain stays away. Looking ominous outside.

-------------

Date Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:46pm
Well, this was what the weather held, another weekend of stunted progress:

I couldn't throw the foam so master nautiless and i decided it was time to cut and shape the cross members that support the floor. We also managed to laminate the first coat on these. All indoor work:

I also took a hard look at the driver chair base and decided to strip and regrease the rails and mechanism. I will rebuild it's base later, save it for another rainy day...literally.

We also received our club membership for a local lake. Only 15 members allowed per year...and we're one! Private water, no wind in a secluded Canyon....this keeps me motivated to get this thing done. Here's a pic taken from the club house.

Just a pic of mrs naut's plates for interest:

I'll finish laminating the floor supports and rebuild the drivers seat base as the weather keeps me indoors. Hopefully i can send pics of decent progress soon.

-------------

Date Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:47pm
Dang....i cocked that post.

-------------

Date Posted: January-12-2009 at 1:00pm
Kewl...i discovered edit!

-------------

Date Posted: January-12-2009 at 1:40pm
That lake looks great. And only 15 members. Perfect. Is it all skier members?
Sorry the weather is slowing you down. you need a Stall Nautique.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-12-2009 at 10:54pm
Naut - That picture of your son with goggles is priceless. You have a great family, a great boat, & smooth water.

What more can a CCFan ask for?

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-12-2009 at 11:27pm
seems you been busy doing other things too, unless im mistaken it looks like you planted some seeds

-------------

Date Posted: January-13-2009 at 4:07am
Wake:

Fantastic facilities too. Most of the members are bass fisherman. I've never seen more than 4 boats out. Only one slipway and no developments on it's shores. The shore is also very steep so you can run the full area. All the moorings are in deep water so minimal risk of drive gear damage.

SNob:

Thanks. Things are looking great. We are very blessed.

Eric:

Sure. You aren't mistaken. We're expecting our second on either the 9th or 16th of Feb. Not long from now. We'll be having a daughter. More excitement in my home! The cool weather, although stalling my progress on the boat, has given mrs naut some relief from the heat. We have long hot summers here, you could easily ski unsuited from September through to May. Peak summer temps reach upward of 40 deg C. Winters only cool down to about 16 deg C. We don't ski in winter which some of you up north in the US may see as silly. We feel even a little bit of cold.

-------------

Date Posted: January-13-2009 at 10:06am
I hope its the 9th, cause thats when mine is.
your june and july is cold?

-------------

Date Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:58am
Yep. That's our winter, if you want to call it that. We still wear trunks and sandals, a sweater if it's bad. Not sure what a wet suit looks like.

-------------

Date Posted: January-13-2009 at 7:14pm
Eric,

Donovan is upside down. Kinda like the Australians. His toilet flushes the opposite direction of yours and mine.

And yeah, "down" to 16C?   I don't even wear a suit until it gets to that temp here.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: BigBlockFooter
Date Posted: January-14-2009 at 4:20am
Hi Nautiless & everybody

Used to be a member of the forum some years back. Helped me a lot doing a few things on my '84 B/N.
Do you know where I can get the rope for the rubrail ? I'm going to Orlando end of the month.

Thanks
"Dawg"

Date Posted: January-14-2009 at 5:29am
Hi Big Block:

Nice to see another boerewors, pap, biltong oke here. Although i haven't bought the rope yet i suggest you call Ropecor in Jhb at 011 626 1213. After making some calls i believe that these chaps will be able to sort you out.

Where do you ride? Bronkies, Harties, Roodeplaat or Vaal? I regularly ride at Bronkies as my mate has a place at Clover Hill Club. I know there's a blue/white and a red/black/white BFN there. Was wondering if that's you? Post us some pics of your boat. Also feel free to drop me a mail donerne@gmail.com

-------------

Posted By: saffer
Date Posted: January-14-2009 at 11:00pm
Hello boet
Dis lekker by die see.
We live in NZ now, 5 years.
My secret spot is in a resort with 6 chalets, not all visitors have boats, therefor our last 6 boarding days have been ALONE!! There is only private access.
ho hum. The water is very warm and smooth

-------------
If you can't be rich, you gotta be clever!Wonder if I'm either right now.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3030&sort=&pagenum=8&yrstart=1988&yrend=1988 - My 88 2001
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3030&sort=&pagenum=8&yrstart=1988&yrend=1988

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:05am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

seems you been busy doing other things too, unless im mistaken it looks like you planted some seeds

you are priceless eric...I too had noticed but did not want to be to forward to one of our newer friends..

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: January-15-2009 at 6:30am
Hi guys

I have a place at the Vaal river.Don't go as much anymore, kids have too many other stuff to do on weekends. I'm going to Bronkies on Saturday to meet up with Andre de Villiers. Getting a new barefoot suit from him. Never been there before,so don't know the place. I'll post some pics. Thanks for the info on the rope. I'll call them now.

Cheers

-------------
'84 B/N 454

Footers do "it" for at least a minute.

Date Posted: January-15-2009 at 12:46pm
Hey Nautiless

Ropecor stays engaged thew whole time, but I found a 16mm polyester rope from Elephant Lifting here in Centurion. It's a little expensive at R28.50/m but looks great and durable.It has a bit of a silver shine to it too. I'll get some and let you know what it looks like installed.Maybe I can get you some too when you need it?

-------------
'84 B/N 454

Date Posted: January-18-2009 at 1:37pm
Big Block:

Thanks for the info and offer. I'm not quite ready for the rope yet but will keep you posted. Don't forget to post some pics when you get a chance. Stay on the site....i'd love to arrange a reunion for cc members in SA...perhaps next summer or thereafter.

Saffer:

Nice one boet. Looks like you're quite sorted that side. Is it a threat to your personal safety to shout bokke?

-------------

Date Posted: January-18-2009 at 1:50pm
Although there hasn't been much progress due to rain i thought i'd post a couple of other pics.

How i keep the project dry:

The closest mrs naut gets to fibre glass:

I have managed to cast some foam though:

But the main reason for lurking only is that as of 15 January 2009 i became a father to a baby girl! Sorry Eric, she wasn't patient enough to wait till 9 Feb.

-------------

Date Posted: January-18-2009 at 2:32pm
I'll be the first to congratulate you, any names yet? the 9th wouldve been nice, but coming out pretty and healthy is nicer

J-Bear, I approached wisely cause i ran into a girl i graduated with and I said wow, your pregnant...she wasnt, too many beers over the year, Im glad i didnt marry that one

-------------

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: January-18-2009 at 2:39pm
Congrats on the new family addition. Another Correct Craft Fan..

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: January-18-2009 at 3:02pm
Congrats and looks like some nice work on the boat!

I think you skipped over a few frames though...I really like seeing how others get to the same finishing point!

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:50am
Eric:

Her name is Eva. I have quite a long surname so we kept our childrens names short.

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:53am
Hey Naut

Congrats on your daughter ! It's a true miracle when a baby is born.

My daughter turns 16 now and my son 13, so I know what it's like to have two kids in the house.

I'll keep you posted on the rope.Did not have time this weekend to get to the Vaal. A CC reunion sounds cool !

Ever looked into buying a second hand boat from the States and importing it ?

Wonder if you'll get an import permit for a second hand one ?

Duane

-------------
'84 B/N 454

Date Posted: January-19-2009 at 8:31am
BigBlock:

I have looked into it briefly. I know that Andrew Bourne (Bourne to Ride Wake School) in the cape imported one himself. I'm not to sure what duties and all entailed but he did mention about R50k to transport on a closed ship as you don't want the sea eating at your boat on an open deck.

While sourcing my rub rail i got in touch with Barry Stevens who used to own Quarterdeck Boat Supplies in Jhb. He now lives in the US and ships boats all over the world. While he was in SA he delivered 11 boats just before Christmas. My rubrail is in a container with his next lot of boats. He also mentioned that okes (and banks) are dumping boats like crazy now. He delivered a less than one year old 24ft Chaparal in Durban for USD32K which apparently owed the bank USD70k plus! Let me know if i can pass you his details.

Yes, i believe it is an option especially in the economic climate in the US. He also mentioned that he has a continual supply of boats as the wealthier consumers ,where he is based, regularly upgrade to new year models. So if you're in the market for a year or two old CC then he's your man.

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2009 at 12:58pm
Congrats on the new baby girl, Donovan.
My daughter turned 14 on the 16th.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-20-2009 at 3:29am
Thanks Naut

Yes, please forward me his details on duane@ezgo.co.za or 083 282 1698.

No harm in finding out.

Duane

-------------
'84 B/N 454

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:05am
Mike, Duane:

Having daughters seems a challenge, especially seeing that i grew up as the eldest in a home full of boys, all our pets were male too. I may have to tap into your advice going forward.

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:36am
Well after our little miracle i've been able to put in a few hours on the project.

When i bought the boat i made sure that the motor and drivetrain were good. I did decide to send the motor in for some cosmetic work though. I asked the workshop to replace the welsh plugs, spark plugs and points. Outside of that i had them repaint the block and auxilliaries. I had them go with the traditional Ford look, yep, true blue blooded bull,...i'm stoked with the outcome. The pic is a bit blurred but here it is....i'll get another soon.

While i was home lending Mrs Naut a hand with the little one i managed to get a few of the smalls done. I polished some more thru hulls and finished off the strip, regrease and respray on the throttle.

this sure looks original, the throttle knob...

When i got the boat it had these on the nose. I believe they were an optional extra at the time of manufacture but i'm not quite sure whether i want them back on. Give me your thoughts........

Before we had our daughter i managed to cast the first bit of foam. Well i did manage to level my casting off and prepare and fit the floor supports between the secondary stringers and the hull.

I know it's odd that i haven't cast all the foam yet, but i haven't managed to source the right air ducting yet and i didn't want to get held so i've worked around it. Also, i hadn't sealed off the main stringers until i fit the cradle which fit well so i have also managed to begin laying the glass over those to seal from above. Once that is done i'll pour the foam between the two stringer toward the bow and hoepefully lay the piping soonest. This is how the bow section looks at the momoment.

I managed to trash the battery box edging when i disassembled so i need to find a way around that one. I haven't managed to locate a container that will do the job so i'm considering remolding one over whats left of the original...we'll see.

The week ahead i will push through final lamination of the top side of the main stringers and closing off on the ducting and piping. I'm not too far away now.....

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:41am
Also, i have a new most annoying thing while doing the restore....dust from sanding down the foam makes the boat helluva slippery. I've seen my naut a few times slipping on this stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 12:22pm
Looks great Donovan!!

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 12:34pm
Mike:

I know you repainted your dash. Not sure whether i should do the same. Mine has a few scratches in and i'm undecided as to polish out or respray. The scratches are deep in that you can feel them when you run your finger nail over them. What paint would work best in terms of look and adhesion?

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 2:26pm
My dash had been painted over the gel once, then at some point, primed and extremely poorly painted again with some crappy primer black colored "paint". I also had a bunch holes from who knows what having been mounted on it.
I am not a good painter and do not really have any good experience about what will work the best. I completely sanded the dash down. I filled the holes in with 410 peanut butter, and sanded that smooth. I used Interlux Brightside paint. I think it worked pretty well and looks decent. The paint shows every imperfection. You think it looks good before you paint, and then everything comes visible after. The plan in a year or two is to re-gel or repaint the boat so we are good with how it is now. It looks a million times better.
Pete is a good guy to ask. He recommended another epoxy paint product, but I did not care for the colors they had on the sample sheet, and I did not want to mess around with matching, or I would have used that. The Interlux just happened to be extremely close to the color we wanted so I used that. If you brush, you need a really good brush. Barbara hated the one I got at West Marine and is a big fan of Purdy brushes. Interlux says to use a china bristle brush.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 11:00am
Mike:

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a wet sand when i do the top deck/superstructure and hope that removes the scratches as mine hasn't been painted before. If not i'll go the paint route and definitely use genuine chinese bristle with a thicker consistency paint. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'll let you know of the end result.

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2009 at 7:44am
Hi There:

Things got a little hectic with having children and my day job since my last post. A brief update on the project:

I really struggled to find 3 inch hose for the ventilation from bow to bilge which really wasted time. All metric here so there are no alternatives to the original in PVC and the like. I could have redesigned to accomodate but didn't. I eventually found some although at a cost.

Since the last post i have sorted and installed all the bow ventilation and routing for the wiring loom, steering cable and throttle cable. I also managed to cast foam in the bow area.

As i mentioned i have trashed my battery box on the deconstruction so i decided to shape it out of the foam cast and cast a new one out of fibre.

I'm tied up with month end at the job today but will take some pics of the progress made to date and of tomorrows work on the restore.

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2009 at 8:23am
Some motivation to pick up the pace:

Just up the road..

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2009 at 11:16am
Good to hear from you on your boat again Donovan. You kinda dropped off there for a while. I had to take a 2 week stretch off in the middle of Feb, too.
Is there any reason not to just use a standard battery box set in the foam? Seems like it would save some time, and you can always replace it if it doesn't work to your liking.
That club you joined looks like it has great water, just gotta get you on it. How long do you think you have left? When does your summer end there? April or so?

Mike

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: February-28-2009 at 12:12pm
Hi Mike:

I've really battled to find the appropriate battery box. The standard one seems to be US specific and i cannot find a local replacement i.t.o dimensions and the way the lip of the box is made. I also haven't found any box which will provide and alternative opening which will result i a neat fit and finish.

I thought of laying two layers of heavy mat, then shape smoothly with filling epoxy and seal with fine cloth. I believe this will give me the strength to hold up the battery together with a basic ply frame (sealed and laminated of course). Outside of cutting the box shape into the foam, i haven't progressed on the box so i can always refill the hole if i make another plan in the meantime. Let me know if you've seen any other solutions.

It really is odd that i've battled to find vent hose and a battery box. I would never have thought at the outset.

I could find vent hose at aircon distrubutors or pvc pipe at plumbers but all are too thick or too thin in diameter based on ruling construction legislation in SA. Frickin' wierd.

Unfortunately the prime of summer is ticking away but we can comfortably ski well into May here. June, July and August are cold (well for us that is at around 16 deg C at it's worst) but we'll still go out and braai (barbecue) and just cruize around the lake while tinkering and fine tuning for the new season. I also plan on spending some time sanding down the trailer and giving it a repray or powder coat over that time.

However, i should be finished with the floor soon. At the same time i have my gardener helping with the wetsand every Thursday while i'm at work. I only have the final grit to go then i can begin repainting the striping.

Also, here are the templates from the signwriter for the decals. May i have your honest opinions? It looks good to me. I did say to him at the outset that if i's not EXACTLY the same it's back to the drawing board at his cost. I'll measure this against my mates 2001. As a note, the lettering is all that's being cut on the sides (not the stripes), the gold 2001 decal is for the dash exactly as presented.

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2009 at 12:17pm
Donovan,

If you need anything shipped from the US, I am more than happy to do it for you. Shipping costs are what they are, but we get a decent int'l fedex rate as we ship gear all over the world. Lemme know.

Mike

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: February-28-2009 at 12:29pm
Mike:

Thanks for that offer. I might just take you up on that. Super.

-------------

Posted By: Clew In
Date Posted: February-28-2009 at 2:21pm
Hey,

Does anyone have or know who sells the gold dash sticker?

Thanks,

Clew In

-------------
Clew In

Date Posted: February-28-2009 at 7:01pm
Hi Donovan
Glad you're back! Thought you'd be quiet for a while with the new baby.
Artwork looks great. Site even greater ! Finally brought the boat back from the Vaal for some maintenance. I replaced the rope(rubrail), added a 12" sub,2 6x9's,new Pioneer USB stereo, moved the positioning of the boat back on the trailer and serviced the motor and gearbox. What a mouthfull ! I'll give you some details later.
Cheers

-------------
'84 B/N 454

Date Posted: February-28-2009 at 8:53pm
No, on the horns, they will slow you down, lol
the boat is coming along nicely, any sleepless nights with the new girl?

-------------

Date Posted: March-02-2009 at 5:06am
Clew:

I had mine cut by a signwriter after he measured it all up. Perhaps you could take the pic i've posted and do the same. If you're keen i'll mail you the scale file for your signwriter to use. Just supply me an address.

Block:

Great to hear you're also getting all your checklists done. Don't be shy to share pics of your stereo install. Where did you get your boat serviced and what was the damage if i may ask (wallet damge), also, what work did they do?

Eric:

I also think the horns are a bit cheesy. My daughter is very mellow and peaceful, i've hardly heard her cry at all. Mrs Naut is also a dedicated mom when it comes to night feeding. Naturally she has the goods so i'm not of much help.

Just a note...i've recently got into watching Nascar. I'll follow this season a little before i choose a driver or team to support. I'm leaning toward a ford powered car based on the heart of my boat. All the commercial breaks drive me nuts though.

I usually chose an underdog.

I've always been into NHRA, only top fuel and funny car though.

-------------

Date Posted: March-02-2009 at 6:26am
My update as promised:

I had month end at the company this weekend so i only had Sunday to work on the project. Guess what.....more rain.

Here is a pic of the hose i managed to get. Standard 3 inch hose manufactured by mercury marine. All thats available in SA. Costa plenty.

A bit of local info for anyone in SA looking to do this resto. Epoxy resin, fairing, filling, cabosil and flocking from AMT (Advanced Material Technologies) in Jhb.

Foam from Resichem in Jhb.

Well. i didn't even open the boat due to the weather so i spent some time laminating and sealing all the wooden bits like the bow floor section (directly under the seats) and although i haven't cut the floor templates, i decided to laminate the ply sheets so long. All things to do indoors.

My floor layup will be a layer of thick CSM below (on the foam) followed by 6mm ply, two layers of CSM and a layer of weave for finish.I will also fillet and bead all joints with succesively wider layers of glass as done with the stringers.

The weather is good today so i'll open her up and post an update on the interior tomorrow.

-------------

Date Posted: March-02-2009 at 9:37am
Don

Do all servicing myself. Real easy. Bought a pump in the US to suck out old oil. Works like a charm. Also replaced the teak on the step plates. My brother in law does woodworking as a hobby an has some serious machines. I'll post some pics later.

-------------
'84 B/N 454

Posted By: Clew In
Date Posted: March-03-2009 at 10:38am
Hey Nautiless,

Thanks for the info. I can take the measurements. Good luck with your project.

Clew In

-------------
Clew In

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:07am
Hi There:

After reviewing Mike's post and considering hours, it has really brought home the fact that i have grossly underestimated the hours to finish. I have adjusted my thinking and time frame based on Mike's post and put my mind to rest that this is taking a lot longer than i had planned. I originally looked at around 120 to 150 hours but 200 seems more like it.

Although he lives in another province, My Dad has mentioned coming over for a week of solid time on the project to fast track it a little. I've also put in a weeks leave in April to do the same.

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:18am
It's a brutal realization, isn't it!?!
Oh well, you will get a good week to hang out with your Dad, which is more important anyway. And a week off work, to work !!!
Sweet!!

Mike

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:31am
Here are some pics of the bits and pieces worked on this week.

I filled with foam around the floor supports. My carving and shaping skills aren't too hot with foam so never ask me to shape your next foam surfboard.

I also cut out the bow floor section, rear floor section and bow kick plate out and began sealing these. They are now ready to go in. This is quite a milestone for me i.t.o having all the below floor wood sealed and placed into the boat before my Dad arrives to help. We can the focus on getting the floor boards down and sealed in with finishing work thereafter.

Rear removable floor

Bow floor section

An odd one when reviewing the site is the setup of the floor section around the pylon. Is this unique to my boat? Not sure...but i stuck to it none the less.

Another departure is to extend the driver footwell kickplate across the hull and fill with foam in the bow section. Thus will give me extra bouyancy and push me well over the limits prescribed by new South African marine legislation.

Perhaps we won't have more rain this weekend and i can post more progress pics early next week.

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:52am
Lol@Mike:

Bizarre, isn't it. What we do for release. After watching you post and considering my project it was like a cold slap. I'm fine with it though, a small price to pay for years of family fun.

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:44pm
It was a great winter time killer for me. Nearly spring now. HOnestly, I had a lot of fun, and cannot wait (nearly) to do another.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:53pm
My 83SN has the same piece. Can anyone explain why Correct Craft did it like this?

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:54pm
Mike:

Agreed. I think i'll feel the same as you next winter once i've had this one for a summer.

I definitely would do another if:
- i have this one operating to fall back on for use;
- i have the space to fit another.

You have both those bases covered. What do you have in mind for next winter, if i could coax you into passing the thoughts of just enjoying your last project and looking beyond?

-------------

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:46pm
i was wondering if it would be a good or dumb idea when doing the stingers to make a under floor ballast system... instead of placing foam you could do and enclosed compartment set some pumps to do the fill and empty.. and no more sacs on the deck...I guess you gonna kill me for this... The copy cat boats (prostar 1992 hulls) here have the tanks casted on the hull and they put the carpet on them...
But they have the composite stringer construction.. or no stringers at all, they are casted in the same mold....

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:02pm
The in-floor ballast idea has come up many times. There just doesn't seem to be the volume under the floor in a Ski Nautique to take advantage of it.

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:12pm
That was my concern also... you could put around 100-120 liters on each side tank... not much and you risk bouyance....

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:14pm
BTW nautiless that hell of a job your doing there.. at least winter is not that cold and youll be able to use the boat when its finished... and ski with a 3.2 suit...

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:43pm
I am with HW on that one. Not enough room to justify the cost and work involved.

Donovan, I am helping completely restore a friends 65 Sportsman 17 that his grandfather purchased new. The year after, I will do the 68 Nautique.

It is a sickness, I am afraid.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:48am
The in floor ballast system has crossed my mind but the government has really clamped down on the boating community due to a spate of tragic accidents. You now need a skippers license, as you do in a car, which i wrote and did the practical last week. Bouyancy requirements for inland waters is required to be set at a minimum of 30% of the boat weight when fully laden. A standard 2001 comes out at around 38% if i remember my calcs. By me filling in the bow section i will push the bouyancy up, which will allow me to run two sacs and still be legal. The boat will also have to pass a certificate of fitness after the resto so i'm keeping all my drawings and calcs to make this easy. The entire country has to do this before August or else face the might of the law. Boat owners left and right are scrambling to get compliance.

The law also has a stacked fine system:
- dui on the water USD360 fine
- no skipper license USD360 fine
- no cof (cert of fitness) for the boat USD360 fine

So if you get caught with all three your total fine will be a fine of USD1080. That is very steep i.t.o the ratio to average salary. I all likelihood they will offer you a 6 month prison sentence as an alternative.

-------------

Date Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:54am
Kap, a 3:2 will do just fine, i have a 3:2 full piece and shorty. I often wear the shorty when i'm learning a new trick, no matter what you wear, a suit doesn't save your face when screwing up a raley variant.

Although our winters are warm, it's relatively cold against summer which you've acclimatised to. So yes, below 20deg C is cold for me.......but i'm no sissy.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window