Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12778
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 5:31pm

Topic: 20 years in water
Posted By: Roym
Subject: 20 years in water
Date Posted: January-29-2009 at 11:58pm
Here's what 20 years in a fresh water lake looks like. This is after two hours of running it around trying to get off some of the funk. After a good pressure washing removed most of the slime revealing the blisters. Going to strip the gel coat and barrier coat the bottom. Started on it today but it started to rain.

Replies:
Posted By: the grinch
Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 12:05am
Why was it left in the water for 20 yrs.?

Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 12:15am
It belonged to a neighbor who rarely used it, maybe once a year. He just left it tied up to his dock in the water. The good news was it was a covered dock. so the interior is not too bad.

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 3:45pm
don't add the barrier coat it's blister all ready so your not going to reverse the damage or make it worse by not having a barrier coat, beside it looks like *************** on a ski boat.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-30-2009 at 4:04pm
Actually he is going to reverse the damage by stripping the gel coat. Lookes like the water ate away a bunch of the platform too!

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 12:34am
Yeah that platform is ugly but thats what was on it. Wish I had a nice teak platform to replace it with.

Believe me I though about leaving the bottom alone but hate to leave something unfixed. Barrier coat can't be worse looking then the bubble finish.

What I don't know and maybe someone can tell me is whether or not the barrier coat will eventually blister if left in the water, or are you safe after doing it. Large boats stay in the water all the time but maybe they have problems also even after the barrier coat is done.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:01am
Roy,
A barrier coat being epoxy is not hygroscopic so it will not allow moisture to get through.

Have you seen Gary's (farmer) threads on his bottom jobs? he's been stripping the gel, epoxy, fairing and painting white. Doesn't look that far off! Chris is thinking of a colored bottom paint and I agree with him: "beside it looks like *************** on a ski boat."

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:43am
look at it this way, the blisters make it less prone to fluid drag like a golf ball, the boat probably will do 5 mph more than normal.

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 10:10pm
I have thought of just stripping the sides and leaving the bottom alone. Just can't bring myself to do it halfa$$. What type bottom paint would be best, the hard type or the albative type. I would think white hard paint would be best.

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 10:34pm
Roy,
If you paint and not re gel, just use a marine linear poly paint. Don't worry about a anti fouling. It will be the closest match to the original gel.

BTW, I hate ablative! You may have missed my posts on my problems with it. I'm trying to get it off the bottom of my X55 (wood) because it's failed - alligator cracked/checked and chunks falling off. I've been through 4 different types of paint and varnish remover and it's tough to get off. It doesn't come off like the normal paints or varnish - it just turns into a gooey mess! I even talked to Interlux and they admitted it's tough to remove even with their own remover. I've resorted to sanding the bottom off and just spent the day laying on my back on a creeper with the random orbit. (I hit it first with my 9" disk and a 36 grit in it!!) Hard racing bronze is going back on to replicate the original bottom bronze anti fouling.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:20pm
I have a 1979 Hydra-Sport 17 open fishermen that I restored. It had albative bottom paint and my son and I spent several days sanding it all off the bottom. It is a messy job. We then repainted the entire boat inside and out with Interlux Perfection paint. We even did a two tone job (gray with white trim). The bottom was painted with the perfection also and NO bottom paint. It all came out very good.
The Perfection paint is a excellent product for a do it yourself paint job. It can be rolled on and then tip brushed for a smooth finish. Looks like it was sprayed on.

Date Posted: February-01-2009 at 10:26am
Roy,
The Interlux Perfection is a great product. It is one of the linear polyurethanes but it is modified to be more user friendly ("do-it yourselfer") for the roll and tip method. Although you can get very good results from the roll and tip, you can't beat a spray job. If you do decide on paint and not gel, take a look at spraying using one of the marine polys like Sterling or Algrip.

Do plan on flipping the boat. You don't want to try to do the amount of work needed on your back. It's not fun! Even my current bottom paint job would be nicer if I could flip the boat!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-01-2009 at 11:02pm
I don't plan on flipping the boat. I have no reason to take the engine out, and it would be less trouble just to get under there and sand it.

As far as painting it I would only paint the bottom as the above the water gel coat is in great shape. You can get Interlux 2000e barrier coat in white. I don't know how close this comes to the white gel coat color. I also don't know if it HAS to be painted over, but I am calling the tech line tomorrow and get all the info.

Date Posted: February-01-2009 at 11:11pm
Pete,
Can the paints you mentioned be sprayed on the bottom of the boat, when the boat is left in the water. At present I have a covered dock but no boat lift. I may invest in one but have the boat out of the lake now so it's not a priority at the minute.

Perfection is ok on the bottom if you dont leave it in the water. Don't think I'll use it on the Ski Tique

Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 11:01am
Save up! Spend some money on a lift or only put the boat in the water when using it. They don't make em like this anymore and you see what 20 yrs. has done to it. Leaving these old boats sitting in the water or uncovered, go ahead and prepare for floor and stringers.

Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 12:04pm
Roy,
From the pictures you posted, it looks like the blistering problem is severe enough that complete removal of the gel to the waterline will be needed. I don't feel you want to do that on your back. Pulling the engine and tank and flipping the boat will be worth the effort.

Yes, any paint besides bottom paints don't like to sit in the water. Do look at a lift.

The white bottom paints do not have the gloss of the topside paints. You could stop the bottom paint at the water line boot strip but it doen't go all the way to the stem so it would show up by the bow.

The barrier coat is meant to be painted over like a primer so it's not the finish coat. Get back after you talk to the techs.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 1:32pm
According to the Interlux tech. he confirmed what we already talked about. He did say that you didn't have to sand off all the gel coat but you need to open up all the blisters and sand them. I my case thats the whole bottom.

He suggests after you get the hull dried out good to put on two coats of Interprotect 2000e and then fill any low spots with "Watertite" filler. He then said to put on three more coats of the 2000e. After that to paint with whatever type bottom paint you like.

Is this what others are doing. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 9:06pm
Roym - My sugesstion is to either flip the boat & re-gel it, or just leave it like it is. By the time you sand off all the blisers (to prepare for paint) you won't have much gel coat left anyway. I sure wouldn't want to do all that laying on my back!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: February-03-2009 at 12:02pm
are you going to leave it in the water or on a trailer? oohhh Trailer queen, then yes grind it down and re-gel, beautifull it will be when your done.

ooooohhhhh sorry it's not a trailer queen oh then are you going to be scubba dive and showing off your hull to your friends under water.

if not who's going to see the blisters when they are under water where you'll never notice them, wet sand the hull and call it a day.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: February-03-2009 at 12:23pm
trailer queen or workhorse don't waste your time and do a half hearted job. The extra time to repair and re-gel will be worth it in the long run. Paint is a bandaid and you'll be doing this again somewhere down the road.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: February-03-2009 at 12:58pm
if you dont get it dry, it will pop within days,
if i were doing the job i would flip and start sanding with a mudzilla and 36 grit paper down just past the blisters, opening them up and allowing the water to release....then let it sit under heat for 2 months......you only can do what you can, the 2 months was a joke...but its crucial to get her dried up

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: February-03-2009 at 8:05pm
I looked the bottom over carefully and decided that flipping the boat isn't something I want to fool with. I also don't need another major project right now.

The bottom is not that bad now that its cleaned up. The worse spots where just below the waterline on sides and stern. I sanded these areas with a rotary sander and 36 grit disc. I also went over the bottom with the 36 grit but not with the intention of stripping the gel coat, just a cleanup and opening any blisters. I then went over everything with my sander and 60 grit paper.

The next step will be waiting for everything to dry, but it didn't seem to be water in the blisters. I did find a few wet ones but not that many.

I'll do whatever else I need to do in the meantime. I will probably barrier coat it and then either spray on gel coat or just white bottom paint. I am not trying to make a showboat just clean it up for use this summer. If it blisters up again I won't worry about it.

Date Posted: February-04-2009 at 1:56am
Just curious, but if you were going to flip one over, what are some of the successful methods that have been tried? I would guess that a couple of guys, positioned just right, could flip, but also could make a mess if something went wrong.

Date Posted: February-04-2009 at 10:30am
Kirk,
Flipping a hull really isn't the big problem that you may think and just takes carefull planning. Being into wood hulls and the frequency they are flipped, I've seen and used several methods. Without the engine, the hulls are relatively light. I've never heard of anyone damaging a hull.

Here on CCfan there are 3 threads I can think of where members flipped their boats. Gary (farmer) used the Don Dannenberg (wood boat restorer) method and built a center overhead shaft with straps going around the hull. When the shaft is rotated, the boat simply rolls over in the straps. Steve (62wood) used a couple of engine hoists and the help of several friends setting the gunnel down on old tires/mattresses. Michelle (sanity) simply got a whole bunch of her boy friends over, made a party of it and they just "manhandled" it over onto old mattresses. The hulls I've flipped, I had the luxury of having two overhead 5 ton bridge cranes and used straps.

A couple of 2x4's clamped side to side (gunnel to gunnel) is a good idea to brace the hull sides.

This spring I anticipate another CCfan member hull flip - Alan's (81nautique) Hurricane!! He's got a overhead "I" beam and of course all of the Chicago CCfan members to help out!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: sanity
Date Posted: February-06-2009 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Michelle (sanity) simply got a whole bunch of her boy friends over, made a party of it and they just "manhandled" it over onto old mattresses.

Pete,
You just made me laugh really hard and out loud for my co-worker to run in my office and ask what was so funny!

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: February-06-2009 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Michelle (sanity) simply got a whole bunch of her boy friends over, made a party of it and they just "manhandled" it over onto old mattresses.

Pete,
You just made me laugh really hard and out loud for my co-worker to run in my office and ask what was so funny!

And now your co-worker is convinced your nutz! LOL

Maybe just a boat geek.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: sanity
Date Posted: February-09-2009 at 5:10pm
Grinch,
Positive thinking...as the "guys" said, they were surprised how light the hull was. That said, wait till I'm done regelling the bottom and they have to flip it back onto the trailer. I'll let you know end of March how that goes.

Greg,
They know me all too well. I work with a group of people. We are all Nutz!

Roy,
I agree with the majority. If you are planning on keeping it, flip it and repair it correctly. I can't imagine having to sand while it's on the trailer. It was so much easier flipped and the repair were made easily.

Chelle'

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: February-09-2009 at 6:15pm
I'm nutz too; that's how I knew!   

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Print Page | Close Window