Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12794
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 5:40pm

Topic: why?
Posted By: sandblaster
Subject: why?
Date Posted: February-01-2009 at 11:13pm
i've been lurking on here more than posting but i now have a 69 ski nautique bought so it's question time. can someone tell me what is the advantage of a reverse rotation engine? can a cc be converted to a standard rotation engine if the velvet drive can be changed. is it worth it? this boat has a 318 that runs, but i'm just asking for future reference. it will be used this year and then maybe see about stringer redo and paint with the rebuild. i'm going to be asking lots of question so bear with me, this is my first boat. lots of street rods and motorcycles but first boat. if this has been asked in some form forgive me i have not seen/found it.

Replies:
Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 12:19am
Alan, welcome aboard this ship of misfits and wannabees. There is a lot of know how and expertise here.There are those too, that will be happy to share , the right way , the wrong way and boy that seemed like a good idea, why did it not work plans that we all come up with.
Good luck with the boat and enjoy your time with CCFan..........Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 12:42am
thank you boat dr., i have never wanted a boat until the last 4 months even though i grew up on boats fishing all oner the place, but my kids or wife have never been on a boat and i want them to experiance the thrill that i remember. the boats that stick out in my mind is the ski nautiques and that sound as they go accross the water. sweet music. like a harley davidson or a v8 jeep cj with headers. it just gives me chills. so i decided that if i'm going to do this i'm getting the boat that i want. i found it on this board and depending on tim's schedule i'm picking it up friday, so i'm exited.

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 1:15am
sand,

You asked about the RH vs LH Motors. The experts will chim in but it has alot to do with the handling of the boat. It also has some thing to do with the steering wheel being on the right hand side.

If you do not have a right hand rotation the boat will pull to one side. They say if you never drove the boat with a RH Motor you may not notice the pull of a LH Motor.

I hope this helps and good luck with your new boat.

Donald

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 1:40am
donald, i notice you are from denver so we are about 40 miles apart. i have spent a lot of time on norman. and hope to again soon. moss, norman, wiley, james, we have 4 families in our group that have gotten boats. all the others have had boats before, but i will have the only correct craft. are there a lot of correct craft fans around here?

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 11:12am
Sand,

I am a newbie also, but yes there appears to be several here on Lake Norman. I am restoring my trailer so that I can check out some of the other area lakes with the boat.

I have been pontooning for six years with five families and it is a lot of fun to tie them all together and let the kids play. Most of the kids are getting older now so we are trying to get them into Water Sking.

Expecting a fun summer this year.

Donald

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 11:53am
Alan,
Yes, welcome and I'm glad you found us.

The RR (RH) engine is used to counteract the weight of the driver from the engine torque twisting the hull towards the port side. With the narrow hull of you 69, you willnotice quite a handling difference if you when with a standard (LH) rotation 318. Are you considering a rebuild and worried about parts for the RR?? Yes, the RR parts are harder to find but available. Just wondering why you what to convert it.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 1:55pm
i'm an old hot rodder and i have lots of engines and speed parts. mostly chevy but some chrysler. this will become a boat to pass on to the kids and will see different incarnations probably. so i was just wondering. it's something new to learn.

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 2:04pm
I have 2 inboards that are LH engines, RH steering and they do ride cockeyed unless you have people in the boat with you or you're going WOT.

-------------

Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 3:23pm
i doubt if i will ever go out by myself. so it will be my wife, son(10), and daughters(6 yr old twins) and me. somewhere around 725lbs. + skis, tube, gas, and cooler.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by sandblaster sandblaster wrote:

tube.

Please, leave the tube at home!!!

I'm not really sure the exact components needed for a RR 318 but it may just be the cam and gear on the tail end of the distributor.

Get a parts manual for the 318 from marineegine.com and it should show what's needed but we also have some Mopar gearheads here on site that will chime in. There's also a 318 manual in the ref. section but I don't think it includes parts. Don't kiss the RR goodby yet!!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Brktracer
Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 4:25pm
sandblaster: Do you ever visit shadyside?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3180 - 1976 Nautique

Date Posted: February-02-2009 at 4:53pm
it's been awhile since i've been to shadyside but i check the website often.

Posted By: Brktracer
Date Posted: February-04-2009 at 1:04am
Just curious...I've raced there a couple times.

If you need any help with your project you've come to the right place. Great people and advice here!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3180 - 1976 Nautique

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: February-05-2009 at 12:43am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by sandblaster sandblaster wrote:

tube.

Please, leave the tube at home!!!

Pete...you never miss a trick!

Welcome guys. Yes NC is a hotbed of C/CFANers. Hope you have heard of the famous ReidP. He and his possee are on Normajohn

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: February-11-2009 at 3:00pm
sandblaster, one more little item to remember, if you are going to rebuild the 318 is pay close attention to the gaskets,especially the intake and head gaskets. On some Chrysler marine engines they liked to re-rout the way the water flows.

Good luck with your project!
Al

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: February-11-2009 at 4:09pm
Sandblaster,
I just rebuilt my 318 Poly. The auto 318 and Marine RR 318 have different gasket sets. I posted the Felpro part numbers for the 2 kits. The main differences I found was the Rear Seal, oil pan gasket, and the water jacket on the front. An auto 318 has the water pump mounted on the front but the 318 Marine does not.

This is the site that has the Marine Kit.

Let me know if I can help answer any of your questions.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Print Page | Close Window