Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12901
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 7:20pm

Topic: Fly my boat
Posted By: KFD14
Subject: Fly my boat
Date Posted: February-20-2009 at 6:39pm
Any one have a slick method for getting your boat off of the trailer, with out water, say in a garage.

I would like to do some work on my trailer that requires it being empty. And while its off I just might get around to wet sanding my hull, to make it shine again.

With that said, were most of the 83 2001s white or is the light tan that I have the actual color and not sun fade????

Replies:
Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: February-20-2009 at 6:56pm
There were 83's with the light tan hull. What colors are your stripes? Mine is an 83 and it has the light tan hull with Dark Brown,Brown/orange and tan stripe.

-------------
83Ski

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: February-20-2009 at 7:01pm
It is nearly impossible to show the true color of the gel on boats in pictures on here. The closest thing to white would be the "taffy ivory" which is what you probably have. Look behind your seat backs or behind vents to see the true color.

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: February-20-2009 at 7:04pm
KFD - Lower the bow of the boat/trailer, block up the stern corners, then raise the bow/trailer tongue. Put a jack & jack stand under the front keel & take the weight completely off the trailer. Then you can start pulling the trailer out. I found it easier to take the prop guard off. You will have to move your jack & jack stand a few times to work around the tracking fins & crossmembers of the trailer. Just go slow & remember having redundant support is the safe way to proceed.

Alternately, find someone with an adequate hoist & use the lifting rings!

Or loan it to a friend at the lake for a few hours.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: February-20-2009 at 7:07pm
WOW, that's cool. Ya, it's hard to tell here but I think mine is Ivory with the tawney tricolor and it has the brown/black carpet. I sorta thought that the carpet had been replaced at some point with astroturf like material, but now I know that it is original brown/black.
Thanks,

were the tri-colors painted on after wards, I know the hull is gel coat???

Date Posted: February-20-2009 at 7:10pm
Ya, my lakes are better suited to ice fishing or ice skating currently.

The reason I'd like to remove the boat is to install a prop guard on the trailer. I know some people are okay without but it scares me.
I'd also like to sand it down and paint it.

Cheers

Date Posted: February-20-2009 at 8:51pm
The tri-colors were painted on using Rustoleum paint on top of the gel. I have the same color scheme.

-------------
83Ski

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: February-21-2009 at 12:16am
I'll give up a trade secret, you need 2 good sturdy 9ft 4x4's.....bare with me cause i use a special I beam with a knotch in the middle, raise the tounge of the trailer as high as you can and use blocks on each side of the trailer in the front, span the 4x4's across the blocks in the front by the bottem lift eye and lower the toungue so the lift eye sits on the spanned 4 by's......head aft and lift the transom and block, pull the trailer making sure the wheels roll by the blocks.
This requires common sense to do, and is safe if carried out that way. I pull trailers from 36 feet boats this way but i use boat jacks up front to lift the front.
hopefully this is understandable and if not maybe someone can come up with a sketch.
Ive used this method many, many times, the biggest thing though is coming up with something in the front to set the trailer eye on securely

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: February-21-2009 at 11:18am
Do you have two 15 ton hoists in your garage?

Sorry, had to do it.

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: February-21-2009 at 1:08pm
Eric,

I see the method. You could lower the tongue of the trailer first and get the blocks under the transom corners. Then raise the tongue of the trailer and proceed as above. No jacks required if the trailer jack has enough range.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Date Posted: February-21-2009 at 5:41pm
Eric, thanks. I think that makes sense.

DW - so what are folks using to repaint the stripes. I would imagine that a good auto paint shop could match the colors and either sell me the paint or just do it. Is it top coated in some fashion? I saw that Keith has the logos, kind of spendy for something that will be removed after the paint goes on.

Oh well, I guess the hole in the water were I throw all of my EXTRA $$ is bottomless.........

Date Posted: February-21-2009 at 6:27pm
Gary, very logical to do it that way, i always have something to lift with so lifting isnt an issue, but your right you swing the wheel jack and lay the tongue on the ground, block the transom than proceed to lift the front, then block.

-------------

Date Posted: February-21-2009 at 6:29pm
I think we repeated snob...the front was my concern so you dont have to keep jacking and moving and blocking

-------------

Date Posted: February-21-2009 at 6:53pm
KFD14

I am about to buy paint for mine. Shoot me an email and I will give you the details. Maybe we could split the cost of the paint.

dwcar@yahoo.com

-------------
83Ski

Posted By: todd johnson
Date Posted: February-21-2009 at 11:51pm
Im going to throw this out there about
lifting the boat off the trailer. I went
to a local marinea and they took the boat
right off the trailer for me. They put it
in a dry slip about 3 stories up, cover and
all. Charged me about 50 dollars for the week.
Not sure whats in your area but thats a easy
and cheap way for you and quick too. Just my
2 cents. Good luck with the trailer!

Posted By: Mark Mel
Date Posted: February-23-2009 at 5:35pm
I took mine off the trailer by lowering the front and using boat jacks at the rear corners. To avoid having to move jacks under the keel, I parked the boat under a large maple with a nice thick branch and used a come a long on the bow eye.

And yes I know that most come a longs are not made to lifting vertical loads. It was only hanging that way long enough to pull out the trailer. ;)

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=972&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980" rel="nofollow - 1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct

Print Page | Close Window