Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12917
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 7:15pm

Topic: Eric, coupling on a Supra
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Subject: Eric, coupling on a Supra
Date Posted: February-24-2009 at 11:42am
Eric,
Fill me in on this coupling. Besides it looking like it's brass,(may even be TN coated steel??) is there anything else that's different?

HW asked me some questions regarding a new owner of a Supra who has posted his problems over on wakeboarder.com. It seems that this guy has really gotten a boat with some big propshaft log issues. The boat was hit at one time and the log ripped loose. The repair was halfa**** at best and it's failed. I don't feel the PO has been entirely truthfull and has been doing some "pour some stuff in the bilge" repairs. Anyway, I've been trying to help him out. Since he's on a budget, I've got him doing the repair himself. So far, he's got the log almost ground out from the hull. His pictures show the coupling and I'm curious about it. Not the usual steel coupling.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Replies:
Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: February-25-2009 at 10:11am
at first glance i thought it was a federal coupling, possibly custom made at the local machine shop? he may of needed some spacing out back and thats the added thickness?
how far does the shaft go up and in?

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: February-25-2009 at 11:26am
Eric,
So far, I've coached him on grinding the log out with a suggestion to see if he has enough clearance to do it without pulling the coupling and shaft. The shaft position will be the guide to resetting the log properly in position on the hull. I don't want him to even try to pull the coupling unless absolutely needed. I have recommended he does a alignment check first so he will unbolt the coupling halves but looking at the position of the set screw, I'd say the shaft goes all the way into the coupling.

The halfa**** repair to reset the log (by a marina!!) was done with straight epoxy, no glass and Bondo!! I also don't feel a factory log was used (confirmed by Supra) because the bottom flange isn't long enough aft to cover the hull hole.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-03-2009 at 5:24pm
Eric,
The coupling turned out to be one of the tapered designs. At least it will make it easy to get off if he has to go that far!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: March-04-2009 at 10:09am
ah, i see said the blindman

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"