is great enough I'll part it out. If not mabey
I'll start a restore. Anyway here are some
pictures.
She's in rough shape, but enjoy. Any comments
on the glass are welcome.

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-05-2009 at 8:12pm
Looks like the boat is pretty complete. Its a shame to see it parted out rather than restored.

-------------

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: March-05-2009 at 8:33pm
I agree with Tim. Shame to waste.
However, if you decide to part out, I need some stuff for my 68 project.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: todd johnson
Date Posted: March-05-2009 at 11:47pm
Mike, what are you looking for? I'm mostly
useing detail peaces and gauges. no motor
stuff. Let me know.

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:47am
Originally posted by todd johnson todd johnson wrote:

I'm curious what you guys would do to restore this type of decay? Are you talking grind down and regel the whole hull or possibly the deck to?

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:49am
A followup question: If you did decide the redo the gelcoat, is that a backyard job or would you definitely need a paint shop quality environment?

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 1:11am
I've never done any gelcoat work before, but
I would think you would need to grind or sand
the top layer of gel off. the glass would be
ok. I think? And to answer your 2nd ques. I
would say the amount of dust that would be
created from this undertaking, you would want
to be outside. Luckly its only on the bottom
1/4 of the boat and the whole underside. The
deck is in fairly good condition. Only one
spot there in the rear. I'm doing some repair
of the gelcoat on my 70 sn, so I'm hoping to
get a crash corse. I have a good friend that
dose boat glass and gel repair for a living,
so I will know what it will take vary soon.

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:32am
I need the dash logo more than anything. Gauges and such would be nice, and I like that gauge panel. Depending upon what you use. I will look at mine this weekend to verify what my panel is. Maybe the horn and sight glass. Let me know.

thanks

Mike

Curious on the gel opinions, too. Mine is not as bad as that, but not super good either.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:25am
Todd,
You're correct that the boat would need a gel job - hull and deck. I wouldn't take a chance on doing a partial removal. The deck of theses older Nautiques have another issue too. The raised section from the stem to the windshield may have a wood filler in it! These are known to have rot problems. Is the raised part firm or can does it flex when you push down on it?

Getting the old gel off will be dusty if you grind. There are devices made to remove it that are similar to paint strippers with carbide cutters but are pricy. Gary (farmer) made his own out of a grider by making a head with carbide inserts and a means of depth control. He posted a tread on it but the last time I checked the pictures had been removed. "Machining" it off isn't as dusty.

If you do decide on doing this, do plan on flipping the hull.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:51am
I agree that it appears all there and a shame not to see it restored, but you'd really have to love that boat to deal with the fiberglass.

I'd be interested in some parts if you part it out.

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 11:54am
Personally, Id probably leave the gel as-is unless I was going for a showroom restore. Its really amazing how much less visible the cracking becomes after you smooth the surface by wetsanding and buffing. I doubt many people noticed the large section on the bow of my '90 that has gel damage.

Before pic:

I still hate to see the boat parted out, but as long as the feeding frenzy has begun, Id likely be interested in the motorbox, rope clearance bar, steering wheel and sight glass. The sight glass doesnt have to be pretty- Id take your old one if you have it, Mike.

I know of someone who could use the motor, too. Todd, shoot me an email if you decide to part out: TRBenj@gmail.com

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:30pm
Dang Tim, why'd you have to point out the imperfections on that perfect boat of yours.

I'd like the chocks, step plates, gas fill and horn. But Todd, first take some simple green and a brush, and then some compound and fool with the hull before you decide to part it out. You may find you love her after she's cleaned up.

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 1:50pm
Ha, thanks Bruce but its far from perfect- Ive got it shined up half way decent, but its a workhorse!

A little road trip to Maryland to grab some parts for us northeast guys wouldnt be out of the question if Todd decides not to restore the boat.

-------------

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Personally, Id probably leave the gel as-is unless I was going for a showroom restore. Its really amazing how much less visible the cracking becomes after you smooth the surface by wetsanding and buffing. I doubt many people noticed the large section on the bow of my '90 that has gel damage.

Before pic:

I still hate to see the boat parted out, but as long as the feeding frenzy has begun, Id likely be interested in the motorbox, rope clearance bar, steering wheel and sight glass. The sight glass doesnt have to be pretty- Id take your old one if you have it, Mike.

I know of someone who could use the motor, too. Todd, shoot me an email if you decide to part out: TRBenj@gmail.com

tim i'd like to see the after pic as I also have some spider cracks on the same area of the bow but on the passengers side... PO hitted a boat... It was repaired but cracks showed again... what can I use to polish and buff?..

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:37pm
Sebastian, I dont have any great "after" pics- its tough to capture the difference with a camera. This is the best Ive got:

The damage is still visible, but you have to be up close to notice. When I bought the boat, the damage was obvious enough that I was getting quotes to have it repaired. After buffing the deck out, it became much less noticeable- so I currently have no plans to fix it. Its just not worth the time or effort since you can barely see it.

I used the same sand and buff procedure on it that I used on the rest of the deck (and several other boats since). Check out the http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4721&PN=2 - buffing gelcoat thread in the Common Questions forum.

-------------

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:47pm
If the trailer becomes available, I'd like to talk to you about it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:56pm
nice post there... a task for the winter along with a carb resto and new exhaust and riser gaskets...

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:10pm
I wish it would be as easy as some light
sanding, and buffing. But the gelcoat on this
boat is badly cracked!! I can put my finger-
nail in almost all the cracks. Some are even
starting to peel away from the surface, this
would really need a new gelcoat.

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:26pm
arenīt those cracks sign of weak stringers? or is just the gelcote damage due to leaving the boat at open air..sun rain...snow..etc...

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:28pm

boat is badly cracked!!

Todd,
I feel what Tim is saying is the deck may be salvageable and it could be wet sanded and buffed out. However, as mentioned, do check for soft spots in the raised sections of the bow deck that would indicate possible rot. Defiantly the hull gel is gone!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:29pm
Looks like a nice bar to me...

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Looks like a nice bar to me...

yaep but it's also hard to get that transom shinny.....

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

boat is badly cracked!!

Todd,
I feel what Tim is saying is the deck may be salvageable and it could be wet sanded and buffed out. However, as mentioned, do check for soft spots in the raised sections of the bow deck that would indicate possible rot. Defiantly the hull gel is gone!!

I was actually commenting on the whole thing- but after seeing those pics of the hull with the gel flaking off, youre probably right Pete- hull gel is toast.

Unless youre up for a lot of labor hours, Mojo might be right- that hull might be best used as a bar.

I might be up for a trip to MD and could bring back everything minus what you strip off for your Inca Gold SN. Bruce can have his misc parts, Ill take the few I want, I can ship Mike what he needs for his '68 and Steve can pick up the trailer at LG09. Shoot me an email.

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 4:16pm
Later this Spring I will get some shots of the 68 hull and see what you guys opinion is. My goal is to completely re-do, but was kind of planning on painting. Maybe that will not be an option.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 5:07pm
Alright. This is ridiculous. I have not even been done with the Mustang for a week yet, and I am outside tromping through the snow to look at the Nautique. Sick, sick, sick.
My gauge panel is different, same as the Mustang which makes sense as both are 68's. So I am good on that.
My motor box is junk, so if that is available that would be a huge improvement over what I have. As mentioned above I would really love to get a dash logo as I definitely do not have that. That is, of course, if you are not using it.
The gel is not nearly as bad as I recall as a whole but a couple spots are pretty bad.

I have a few questions about the motor. It is the 318. What in the heck is a 318 Poly? I seem to have two different exhaust manifolds. The port is more egg shaped and says Chrysler on the side, and the starboard appears to be just like Todd's above. I cannot see the port in the photo but it also looks different. Is this correct?
With respect to the sight glass, the Nautique actually does not have one. Nor a spot for it.
The Mustang has a spot for one, but the hole is capped from the bottom. and gelled. They would not have drilled the hole and not installed one, I would hope. I have one spotted for that boat so i guess I would not need that, afterall.

My wife may kill me soon.

Mike

PS: Todd, look what you started. that thing is parted down and getting bolted to your wall already.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 6:35pm

Mojo might be right- that hull might be best used as a bar.

Leave it to Dave to always have the 3 B's on his mind: Bars, Babes and Boats and not necessarily in that order!! It was his idea to meet at Hooters the other evening and of course the main topic was boats!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: March-06-2009 at 7:10pm

...and Steve can receive the trailer at GL09.

Wow Tim, very generous of you to bring the trailer to GL. You are a hell of a guy...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: March-07-2009 at 12:36am
Todd,

I didn't notice that you are on the West River in Maryland. You're right up the street from me. I'm over in Crofton and have an office in Annapolis.

Do you run that 1970 of yours in the salt waters around here? I would be surprised, because it looks like its in great shape in the pictures.

-John

-------------

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: March-07-2009 at 1:06am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I have a few questions about the motor. It is the 318. What in the heck is a 318 Poly?

Mike,
The "Poly" "A" block 318 was made til around 1966 and is the predecessor to the "LA" (light A) 318 that most everyone knew of in the late 60's. Im not a Mopar guy, but I think the LA was made well into the 90's

They do share some common parts, but I dont think the exhaust manifolds are interchangeable. The heads are completely different...even to the point of intake/exhaust valve configuration. The poly is most noted for the "saw-tooth" bottom shape of the valve covers.

Hope this helps?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: March-07-2009 at 1:49am
Isn't CCF awesome?! Todd, What a great find! Is that the boat thats in the diaries?

I love watching to see what happens to all these great boats....Some call 'em part boats...I like to think of them as Donor Boats!

-------------

Date Posted: March-07-2009 at 7:03pm
OK I;m going to part the boat. Some of the
parts are spoken for by me .I'm going to put
an offical parts list up with prices on the
parts for sale thread. Give me a few days to
get all the parts togather and I'll post
pictures as well. A few of you I have
already contacted about parts, you know who
you are. Thanks TJ.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-07-2009 at 8:16pm
Todd, if not already spoken for I'm interested in the scoops on the rear deck. Thanks

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: clarkebar
Date Posted: March-08-2009 at 6:44pm
Todd ,

If you part out the boat I am very interested in the correct craft emblems as well as the cleats,lifting eyes and morse controls. Was this the boat in Atlanta that was forsale?
Thanks eric

Date Posted: March-08-2009 at 11:23pm
Eric shoot me an email and we will talk about
whats left. tj@areacorp.net

Date Posted: March-08-2009 at 11:36pm

I haven't had a chance to post a list on
parts for sale, and I don't see any need to
at this point. lots of you have contacted
me via email and we have worked some stuff
out. You all know how you are. Give me some
time and I'll post what parts dont sell in
few days.

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 11:07am
Is there a Pylon? Don't see one in the pictures. If there is I might be interested!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window