Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12997
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 7:26pm

Topic: changing oil with drill pump
Posted By: kapla
Subject: changing oil with drill pump
Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:42pm
Every time I change oil I do a mess, I feel like a redneck. I start with the manual pump through the dipstick, but after 100 strokes under the sun only 1 quart is out!!! I do have the drain hose but the drain plug in the hull is frozen so I canīt use it.
I wanted to get the vaccum pump as the one on skidim (but is not available here in argetina). So my question is have anyone used the pump that attaches to a drill? Is it good or is it junk?
I ussually end placing a bag under the oil pan and unhooking the oil drain... Imagine the mess...In the bilge and carpet when trying to get it out... At least my carpet is dark so any oil spill gets easily match with it...
I know you gonna hit me hard for this!!!!
So start shooting on me!!!!

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:49pm
Sebastian, youve gotta get that drain plug unstuck! I cant imagine not having one- what if your boat fills up with water while youre on the trailer? My plug is out any time the boat isnt in the water.

I dont have the oil drain kit on my older boats- I use the Suck Up from SkiDIM to pull the oil out of the dipstick hole and it works well. It goes much faster if the engine has been run up to temp!

-------------

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:54pm
I was planning on making a new plug with a throug hull but still wondering if a good idea... regarding the old plug is hard to get any tool there to try to unbolt it...any tip will be appreciated...

-------------

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:59pm
it's a pipe thread and seals pretty good there should be a square section above the threads and where the t-handle's base starts, grab an adjustable wrench and you should be able to unscrew it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:59pm
Its just a T-handle, correct? If you cant get it off by hand, get some leverage on it. Pipe wrench, vice grips- anything. It should come loose if you hit it. Spray some penetrating oil on it first and let it soak for a few days.

-------------

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 3:05pm
Yes is that square head plug there, no t handle... Its a tight spot to work on...
I have to solve this asap.....

-------------

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 3:09pm
other thing about this I how firm is all the assy fixed to the hull.. I wouldn`t like the plug to come loose with all the thread housing, causing hull damage..

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 3:23pm
Yep, gotta work on that hull drain. If you don't have the T-handle most of us are used to, you might try tapping a cold chisel into it at the shallowest angle you can work with. The only thing is that you'll probably have to replace the plug afterwards.

There is a cheap drill operated pump available here for about $6 US. The one I'm familiar with is set up for garden hose fittings so you'd have to make connecting fittings.

Get the girls back in the boat and it might just loosen up!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Get the girls back in the boat and it might just loosen up!

Good idea there!!! i`ll try that one and let you know the results!!!1

-------------

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 4:01pm
sounds like someone has mismatched the threads a stright pipe thread t-handle/orginal with standard tapered pipe thread plug most likely galvanized at that doesn't go well witht he brass housing. On mine the base/housing was bolted to the hull yours might be glassed, in that case, cranking on it to hard might cause problems down the road.

don't recomend the chissle trick that's just going to make it worse by expanding it and locking it even tighter.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

don't recomend the chissle trick that's just going to make it worse by expanding it and locking it even tighter.

Only if it's tapped in the wrong direction! LOL

All I'm saying is that I've seen a properly applied thong move mountains.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 4:14pm
Cris from what i see housing seems to the bolted from the outside bottom of the boat. From inside you can see the screws locked with the little nuts...
Maybe I can unscrew all the housing along with the plug and benck work at home.....
Then reinstall everything using a good sealand adhesive...

-------------

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 4:22pm
Better look underneath...I bet those screws are bedded in the glass(below the gel). Mine has the same set-up...I think the screws are in the threaded fitting and not available from below.

-------------

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 4:24pm
My old 64 doesnt even have a drain plug. I use the cheapo pump that chucks in a drill. It can still be a mess, holding the drill and keeping two hoses from flopping around. Make sure the container your pumping into is large enough for all the oil. ( I use two, one-gallon plastic containers)

Warm engine definately helps, I put a bunch of old cardboard and carpet scraps over the boat carpet. I dont care how careful, seems like theres alway a little oil spillage.

I like Gregs idea...get more pics of the girls in the boat.....

Not sure it does any good on the plug, but sure warms up OUR winter days!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 4:25pm
The chisel meathod is only meant to be a 'polite' impact wrench...don't use a BFH!

-------------

Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I like Gregs idea...get more pics of the girls in the boat.....

Not sure it does any good on the plug, but sure warms up OUR winter days!

C'mon man...if he wraps a thong aroung the fitting in the right direction...

-------------

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: March-09-2009 at 10:17pm
Kapla you should have something like this in your 90. It is exactly the same as my 89.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=250 - Thru Hull & T handle bung

It also had a square plug frozen in the thru hull fitting like yours. It was impossible to get it unfrozen while still attached to hull. Remove the thru hull fitting just 4 s/s bolts with nyloc nuts on mine. This makes it much easier to hold the fitting in the vice and get that frozen plug out.

They had used a galvinised plug which had frozen real solid needed to apply a bit of heat to get it out. I ordered only the t handle fitting then as the threads in the thru hull fitting were fine.

Like TRBenj said when ever the boat is out of the water the bung should be out. It drains any water and we know the pre 93 hulls like to be kept as dry as possible.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: Brady
Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 12:02am
Greg,
Thong move mountains...Great image!

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 12:29am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

I start with 100 strokes only 1 quart is out!!!

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

youve gotta get that unstuck!

so I canīt use it.
I wanted to pump

If you cant get it off by hand, get some leverage on it. Pipe wrench, vice grips- anything. It should come if you hit it. Spray some penetrating oil on it first and let it soak for a few days.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:31am
You took the words right outa my mouth Quinner. Gotta be some sort of record...so many opurtunities in one thread.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 10:46am
LMAO!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I start with 100 strokes only 1 quart is out!!!

youve gotta get that unstuck!

so I canīt use it.
I wanted to pump

If you cant get it off by hand, get some leverage on it. Pipe wrench, vice grips- anything. It should come if you hit it. Spray some penetrating oil on it first and let it soak for a few days.

Very good iīm still crying

Back to the boat I got the thruhull out... it was easy, I just needed help from below to hold the screw in order to prevent it to spin with the nut when unbolting.....

Then whith a bench morse and a good adjustable plier (stilson here? the ones used on plumbing) we got it out.
this was mounted

the plug head warped thats why it was impossible to get it out...

and this are diferent 3/4 bronze plug I bougth to replace the old one... i'm not sure which one is best....

the old one is solid and the new are hollow...

-------------

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:47pm
No T handles available here... I was thinking on getting the one from skidim but shipping and customs will kill for that.. and this plugs i got here all cost me $5...

-------------

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:48pm
Sebastian, for god sakes get a proper one with a T-handle so you dont have to go through this whole thing again next time!

Lewy linked to the $30 part from SkiDIM above.

-------------

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:52pm
yeap they sell the t handle for $9..
i will try at local parts here and if not I get the one from skidim...

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:07pm
Seb,
You should have a local welding shop down there. Have them braze or weld on a T handle to one of the new plugs you bought. Bilge drains don't need to be wrench tight. There's very little pressure on them so the T handles work great hand tight.

Brass to brass can be TIG welded. Bronze to bronze depending on the exact alloy should be brazed.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:28pm
Yes I was also thinking about doing that...
And one more when putting the housing back to the hull, which adhesive sealant is recomendable the 3m 5200?

-------------

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:31pm
i think the housing is brass, are the bronze plugs ok or should i get brass plugs?

-------------

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:47pm

i think the housing is brass, are the bronze plugs ok or should i get brass plugs?

If you're going to have a T handle welded on, ask your welder which he would prefer. It's been a few years since I welded the brass windshield brackets together for my Atom but I seem to remember the Tig setting are the same as aluminum. AC current and continuous high frequency.

Yes on the 5200 for bedding the housing back in.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:58pm
Brass is a copper bronze alloy?

-------------

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:59pm
copper zinc... wikipedia...

-------------

Date Posted: March-10-2009 at 10:56pm
Yes,
Bronze is copper alloyed with tin.

Brass is copper alloyed with zinc.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-11-2009 at 12:39pm
Every day you learn s'thing new!!!
Well I took the plug to a friend who is an artist and works with welding, he does big insect (ants, spiders, etc) made out of metals, so he should be able to weld a T on the plug...
I will pick it up today...
So when I assemble the plug again how much time do I need to let the sealant cure before putting the boat on the water again?

-------------

Date Posted: March-11-2009 at 1:45pm
Seb,
The only bad thing about 5200 is it's cure time. It can be several days depending on the humidity. (It's a moisture cure poly) Spraying some water on the area after you get it in the boat will help. I'd wait a couple days and then feel the excess to see if it is set up. Doesn't need to be hard but just firm and not tacky.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-12-2009 at 4:40pm
well I went to this friend and we share a couple of beer and we came out with this.. a fawcet water handle welded to the old plug.. not fancy but sure functional....

I wanted to go today and intall it but I`m having some flu... hot weather and ac itīs killing me.. all the family is the same way

-------------

Date Posted: March-12-2009 at 5:45pm
I would clean up the flats on the plug some before you install it, with the tee I bet your not going to have enough leverage to get it tight enough and you'll have to use an adjustable wrench on the square section to get it tight enough, and then there is also the possibility that the weld might snap, but I'm sure it's a good weld but better safe than sorry though.

-------------

Date Posted: March-12-2009 at 6:27pm
Seb,
Very creative!!

Chris,
I've never had to wrench tighten any bilge drains on any of my boats and have never had a leakage issue. Hand tight has always worked plus, remember unlike your arms, mine are spindly!!!

Seb,
Before you set it back in the boat, work the plug into the hull fitting by tightening and loosening 15 to 20 times. This will remove any possible high spots in the pipe threads so they seat properly.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-12-2009 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Seb,
Very creative!!

Chris,
I've never had to wrench tighten any bilge drains on any of my boats and have never had a leakage issue. Hand tight has always worked plus, remember unlike your arms, mine are spindly!!!

Seb,
Before you set it back in the boat, work the plug into the hull fitting by tightening and loosening 15 to 20 times. This will remove any possible high spots in the pipe threads so they seat properly.

done.. I cleaned it and wire brushed it. It fits smoothly.. I went there today and installed it. Now I'm just waiting the 5200 sealant to cure... hope it does for saturday....

-------------

Date Posted: March-12-2009 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I would clean up the flats on the plug some before you install it, with the tee I bet your not going to have enough leverage to get it tight enough and you'll have to use an adjustable wrench on the square section to get it tight enough, and then there is also the possibility that the weld might snap, but I'm sure it's a good weld but better safe than sorry though.

Cris that was my concern but it has nice leverage.. I have small hands....but as here pete says I will hand tighten it...I donīt want it to frosen again there...

-------------

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: March-13-2009 at 9:04am
Sebastian......You could always lube the threads a lil bit with some vasaline or O-ring lube ( Parker Lube) before you install the plug.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: March-13-2009 at 5:44pm
yeap that was my next question about this.. I was thinking on some type of grease (red) or graphite based grease???

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: March-13-2009 at 10:25pm
its been a long winter, I dont want to hurt your guy's feelings, after this thread well.......its been a long winter

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: March-14-2009 at 3:26am
I have to agree eric...

And Tim...you should know enough by now to watch your wording a little closer..

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: March-15-2009 at 12:07am
Ok plug worked nicely... next oil chage will be the first time I will have the op to use the drain system since I own the boat...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window