Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13032
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 7:22pm

Topic: Magnetic oil plugs?
Posted By: SN206
Subject: Magnetic oil plugs?
Date Posted: March-13-2009 at 11:43pm
My new boat should be here in two weeks. I ordered it w/ the ZO6 motor. I keep magnetic oil plugs in all my vehicles to pick up any metal shavings(especially w/ a new motor), but do not know if they are available for boats or this particular motor. Does anyone use these plugs in there boat, or do you know where I could find one? I'm told they can really help out with the longivity of a motor.

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Replies:
Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: March-14-2009 at 12:14am
If you have a drain kit installed, I'm not really sure you would be able to do this since the plug is at the end of a long piece of hose...

I have magnetic plugs in the front and rear differentials of my Tundra. Had them in the differentials of my Tacoma also. I have never seen them used in the oil plug, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea...

I had read somewhere... this guy had used a couple rare earth magnets. The really, really strong ones you can find if you dismantle old computer hard drives. He stuck them on the outside of his oil filter. I guess they would help to trap metal shavings.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: March-14-2009 at 1:37am
That's not a bad idea, thanks. I know they have alraedy tested the boat, (I'll try to attach some photos), but I guess it would be best to try something like that during the 25hr break-in? What do you think?

-------------

Date Posted: March-14-2009 at 1:38am
Wow, thought I resized those guys...sorry.

-------------

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: March-14-2009 at 12:36pm
go back and edit,   hit enter between the photos. This will stack them.

I thought JEGS or Summit had magnetic oil filter sleeves. They are kinda pricey if I recall. I saw them in one of the catalogs, but cannot find them on either site.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: March-14-2009 at 5:39pm
a couple of refriderater magnets on the oil filter works well

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: March-14-2009 at 5:40pm
actually we could mass market them with the CCF logo on them and then retire to the Bahama's

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: March-14-2009 at 8:09pm
I think I found what you were refering to. This "looks" like a pretty good product, but I would like the opinion of some of you guys.
It is called FILTERMAG.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window