Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1439
Printed Date: October-05-2024 at 6:43pm

Topic: 1973 skier
Posted By: 73skier
Subject: 1973 skier
Date Posted: April-12-2005 at 3:20am
need to know if any one can tell me if my timming chain may have jumped time running the prop out of the water at a high rpm????

Replies:
Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: April-12-2005 at 12:38pm
why are you running the prop out of water? Now you have also damaged the strut bushings and the stuffbox. Both require water to luberacate them during operation. Does it run rough or back fire a lot?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: April-12-2005 at 2:00pm
prop came out when i went over a big wake at a high speed.I wasn't running it dry out of the water.It was when i was driving it then made engine rev up and after that it wouldn't run. it now farts and pops out of the carb and pipes

Posted By: David F
Date Posted: April-12-2005 at 3:32pm
You may have floated a valve(s) which can mean one or more valves hit a piston and bent the valve thus causing the valve to not seal. Do a compression check on all cylinders. If low/no compression, pull the head(s) and get a valve job performed. You can also visually check to make sure you did not knock a hole in the top of a piston.

FWIW: "floating a valve" means that the valve spring is not stronge enough to react quickly enough to the high RPM and thus does not close the valve in time and the piston comes up and hits the open valve.

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: April-12-2005 at 6:21pm
Yeah, what David said, do a compression check first. I did a 180 real hard one time and pulled the prop out of the water but no damage. I don't jump wakes with my Mustang.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: April-13-2005 at 11:58am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

You may have floated a valve(s) which can mean one or more valves hit a piston and bent the valve thus causing the valve to not seal. Do a compression check on all cylinders. If low/no compression, pull the head(s) and get a valve job performed. You can also visually check to make sure you did not knock a hole in the top of a piston.

FWIW: "floating a valve" means that the valve spring is not stronge enough to react quickly enough to the high RPM and thus does not close the valve in time and the piston comes up and hits the open valve.

Print Page | Close Window