Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15098
Printed Date: October-05-2024 at 6:39pm

Topic: 1976 Mustang - Cutting out at High Speed
Posted By: JR Gusick
Subject: 1976 Mustang - Cutting out at High Speed
Date Posted: August-28-2009 at 12:41pm
OMC 230 Motor, and the carb and motor were rebuilt last year.

The motor starts and idles fine. It jumps out of the hole at full throttle just fine but after it planes it will start cutting out. It usually starts after about 400 yards. I don’t think the fuel is getting interrupted because I will get a little bit of a back fire meaning fuel is still dumping into the manifold but not igniting. I am going to look for some bad wiring tomorrow. Does this sound like it could be a coil problem?   Remember it only happens at full throttle.

Replies:
Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: August-28-2009 at 7:19pm
Are you sure the timing isn't too high?

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: August-28-2009 at 7:24pm
Hahaha, I'm not sure of anything. This was an over night problem. One day it was all out the next day it was missing at full. I just had the points and Dist. cap replaced and in nutural you can floor it and it just purs and dosen't miss. My gut is telling me there is a wire grounding out or a bad electrical connection.

Date Posted: August-28-2009 at 7:33pm
Hahaha, I'm not sure of anything. This was an over night problem. One day it was all out the next day it was missing at full. I just had the points and Dist. cap replaced and in nutural you can floor it and it just purs and dosen't miss. My gut is telling me there is a wire grounding out or a bad electrical connection.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: August-29-2009 at 12:32am
I would suspect the distributor cap. Maybe it has a crack or other defect in it. If you still have your old one, you could try that.

On 2nd thought, you could check the dwell, or point gap, & timing too. If the problem started after the tune up, maybe something is amiss there.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Print Page | Close Window