Print Page | Close Window

returning point ..back on track!!!

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15680
Printed Date: September-24-2024 at 3:01pm

Topic: returning point ..back on track!!!
Posted By: kapla
Subject: returning point ..back on track!!!
Date Posted: October-25-2009 at 2:47pm
finally engine is going in....

I stayed working on her yesterday from 3pm to 9pm.. putting all the conections..hoses wiring the engine..etc..also reconecting the stereo and the lights on the comb panels...
By tuesday is has to be in the water as my frined shop need the place to take the his clients cars....

I only need to finish the aligment and then put the exhaust

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Replies:
Posted By: Okie Boarder
Date Posted: October-25-2009 at 2:50pm
Nice!

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: October-25-2009 at 5:58pm
Bet you can't wait take your son out on the water!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: October-25-2009 at 11:08pm
atta boy Kap, coming right along

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: October-26-2009 at 6:31am
Yep, I'll bet it itches everywhere... The tension must reach it's peak by now Seb!!

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: October-26-2009 at 2:37pm
I primed the fuel system with the inline hand pump(those used in the outboard engines) i have in the hose and the fuel pump started leaking from the lower bowl gasket...I adjusted the input hose and that stopped the leak..but anyway when applyng pressure it seems to blow some bubbles out of that gasket..is it possible its due to the shrinkeage of the gasket for being dry for a while? can that bowl be adjusted..my pump is not ribeted, it have some bolts so it can be opened...
so do you think with the use it will expand the gasket and stop the leak or better open it and adjust?

-------------

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: October-26-2009 at 4:22pm
I balieve it will expand... but since you've come such a loooong way with this rebuild...
You could open it with extreme caution so you dont damage the diaphgram, make a new gasket a roll on!!!!!

I will call you later so you put me up to date and to wish you luck in the maiden voyage!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 2:57pm
went today with the goal of making the engine run...It did in the first attemp..everything checked ok...we set a little bit the dizzy, until it run smooth moves the carb screws...and thats it....sweet sound to my ears...I have some vids that I uploaded to YT so when they are ready I´ll put the link....
some pics here of the boat at the marina

This are the good news....bad news..I think I´m off with the alligment..Egine Is very high even the front mounts are in the lower position its still a touch high..I think is due to the fact that the engine cradla was bolted over the carpet thus making it sit some 1/4" higher...I have A lot of difference at the coupler to trans top to bottom I have no light in top and the bottom I cam put .012 or more i think...
The other problem is I think I will need to rebuilt the starter...It will move ok when cold but once the engine is warm it gets very heavy..It turns heavy and then it will start...I could be the battery being a little weak. didn´t have the tester so I couldn´t check..But I guess is the starter As even with a jump start batery (with not so good cables) It was heavy on the cranking.....

here is one of the vids...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLHbTAILdVk - she fires...
You can hear the heavy crancking...

i have problems with the second one..I´ll try to figure out..

-------------

Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 3:17pm
problem solved..here goes the other one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wT1YTL1WwA - sweet sound

-------------

Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 3:36pm
At least the fuel pump quit leaking....

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:05pm
Starter works good cold but not when Hot , back off on your timing a few degrees.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:13pm
Good on cold I think I mistaken..you can see the fist video is the first start it did and there the starter was kind of heavy also..It would hesitate the first two turns then it will spin right....
But when hot..It much heavier...
We moved the dizzy a touch to leave it within specs..but didn´t change much..remember it has the protec ign...

-------------

Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:19pm
alignment?????

-------------

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:23pm
Congrats Kap! It's got to be a great feeling to hear that thing crank again!

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Starter works good cold but not when Hot , back off on your timing a few degrees.

x2

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

alignment?????

not allingned yet..no test drive..only fired the engine..I didn´t have enough time to figure out were to start to try fix it...I think the easiest way is to remove the front mounts and replace the lower nut by another one narrower in order to let the engine go lower...
The more drastic solution is to remove engine cradle cut the carpet below it and bolt it again but that means I need to take the boat back to the shop....
I´t just try the first option...

-------------

Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:32pm
Or maybe I´m bad with the strut alligment... but at glance it seems to be ok...

-------------

Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 5:39pm
Sweet sound indeed Sebastian!
BTW, cool dock ties you got there.I think I saw those before somewhere .

About the cradle hight, strut and alignment... Pictures man, pictures!

-------------
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 7:36pm
Congrats Sebastian just a few tweaks here and there and your set

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: October-28-2009 at 8:28pm
is the crane man drinking a Budweiser?

-------------

Date Posted: October-29-2009 at 12:39am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

is the crane man drinking a Budweiser?

yes he Is!!!

-------------

Date Posted: October-29-2009 at 1:10am
that's one sexy boat, I really miss the purple 195.
that is in Albardon right?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: October-29-2009 at 1:38am
thats right luch..

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2009 at 7:10pm
I was there today but not much I could do as on fridays there a lot of movement on the marina and they don´t let to work on the boat..so I had to put in in the water if I wanted to play with it I wanted to check the position of the shaft on the log..but as being in the water that was not possible....now trying to raise the back of the engine I foung the port tranny mount I have a stuborn adjustment nut..It won´t move...I gues I will have to slam it with a hammer and chisel to work it in situ or remove the mount and work it a bench..and replace the nut..
I think that putting the back of the engine I will be able to close the gap a little bit as long as the shaft remains centered on the log...
I will go on tueday woth the right tools to try finish this thing out...
As for the engine I narrow the problem into a battery or starter issue as moving the dizzy didn´t make any difference...
I fired it today and It gave two slow cranks and it started fine..it was on for 5 minutes until it went of while idling.. (i still need to adjust a little) and then It would start no more..even after being of for 30 minutes when trying to crank it it will go very slow..And hod to quit as the cables were getting hot!! another possibility it the cables are bad somewhere in the routing thus not drawing the necesary current...Strange thing is that some weeks ago I used this battery on the corvette (as the in it had discrarged due to not use) and it turned like a champ....
So I lean to a starter issue....

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-30-2009 at 7:26pm
lean there but check your voltage at the starter during cranking

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2009 at 7:34pm
will do it on tuesday I´ll take the tester to do some volt reading while cranking..I will also take another battery with some good wide cables...

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2009 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

BTW, cool dock ties you got there.I think I saw those before somewhere .

Everybody that looks them wants a pair of those.....

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2009 at 10:27pm
My bet is the starter cant handle the new/hard compressed engine, less when it's hot and more compressed.

-------------

Commander 351W

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-30-2009 at 11:00pm
Or he has a bad ground. Did you paint the motor and then install the starter? The starter might have high resistance to ground because of the paint

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-03-2009 at 3:08pm
did some wrenching today morning..goal was to determine how off I was with aligment and position of the shaft inside the log to see if the engine needed to be in a higher or lower than the actual position (lowest possible in the front mounts) so I disconected the shaft seal hose and the shaft was almost sitting in the lower part of the log!!! so definetely engine needs to go up!!! Now the problem I had is the stuborn nut on the port back engine mount. I heated with a hand torch and tried to hit it with a hammer and chissel but no luck so I jacked the engine and removed the whole mount to work it in the shop..It took me a while to remove the lower bolt that attaches the mount to the tranny!! tight space under there LOL..Finally I got it out. I also removed the Starter to take it for a rebuilt (also hard w/o the proper tools).

this is shaft to log actual position

this is shat to strut

and this what the starters looks like..for what the guy at the starter shop it´s not that bad..

At the shop and with the bench vise I was able to let the mount nut loose. Now it moves like a charm.
I hope starter is ready tomorrow so I can go on thrusday and put everything back toghether and go for a ride!!!

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Or he has a bad ground. Did you paint the motor and then install the starter? The starter might have high resistance to ground because of the paint

I did paint the engine!! while I was there today I checked ground. So I unhooked the engine ground cable and grinded the sitting area of the cable, so now it sit to the bare metal no paint there...I also grinded the cable terminal

-------------

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: November-03-2009 at 3:23pm
I was also curious about the paint causing a poor ground. I am in the middle of painting my engine and am taping off any connection points, or grinding them. Starter, block, etc.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: November-03-2009 at 4:10pm

I did paint the engine!! while I was there today I checked ground. So I unhooked the engine ground cable and grinded the sitting area of the cable, so now it sit to the bare metal no paint there...I also grinded the cable terminal[/QUOTE]

Now we wont know if it was the starter or the ground. Keep us posted and good job your getting close!!!

Date Posted: November-03-2009 at 4:18pm
I know LOL!!! i should have tried the before and after the grinding..But I had the shaft seal out so I could not put her in the water to fired up:..
Anyway starer needed some freshen up!!!
I will also check wire terminal when all set to see any corrosion afecting them...

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2009 at 9:20pm
Sebastian - I have heard that di-electric grease applied over connections will keep them from corroding.

You might want to try that on your ground connection after you get it working, to keep it working.

On your alignment - Is the strut aligned with the center of the log? You might want to check for that - see where the shaft naturally wants to be. I had to shim my strut to center up with the log.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:41pm
I´ll check that also...

Last time I was there I also noticed some oil leaking from the valve cover gasket!!! PITA to adjust them the exh manifold need to move out!!!
I might leave it like that until I retoque the cylinder heads after some use...The cork might expand with the use and eventually stop leaking...Just as with the fuel pump leak that It stopped...

-------------

Date Posted: November-04-2009 at 7:03pm
Forgot to menction..hope its not bad: while the engine was idling and with the shaft not hooked to the tranny coupling, I noticed the coupling was slowly turning..very slow i mean...Is this normal?
hope not as I don´t have the mooth for a rebuilt right now..LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November-04-2009 at 8:08pm
Sebastian - I think Eric calls that a dirty neutral. Mine does that too. I am not going to fix it anytime soon.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: November-04-2009 at 9:04pm
I have always heard that the coupler turning very slowly while in neutral and at idle was expected behavior.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: November-04-2009 at 9:09pm
Yes it's common, now when you get the shaft back it wont because the shaft/prop will create some load.

A dirty neutral is when the shaft turns so that it will move the boat.

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 6:52am
Mine does the same. Even when in the water, at idle the shaft turns very very slowly. Same comment as SNobsessed: no fix planned anytime soon.

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 8:41am
Whenever yall send those dirty neutrals to Eric, you'll be pleased with what comes back!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 5:01pm
Just came from working on the boat..good news I finally alligned..I have .002 diference top to bottom wich according to the manual its within specs...shaft turns freely by hand and evan all the turn...so I guess its done...
Now the bad news I´m still stucked with the starting problem (not ignition related) The starter was freshen and cleaned, the leads were replaced.. but Its still not working as it should. Boat started with some slow turns and was there for 5 minutes until it stopped..then warm impossible to get it started again. Even with two bateries no moves..Engine its very compressed I guess ..clue less. Tried to move the engine by the crak and it was stucked I feared..then removed all the plugs to see if I could move it and yes it turned freely even with the small leverage I had from the wrench.. Tried to crank it like that with the battery and even like that it would not turn...So now I took the starter again for a full rebuilt (re-do the copper coil) also took the cables to have them welded as the terminal are not that tight!! And finally I will get a new battery...
I tried retarding the ignition but did not affect the cranking...
I´m pissed...

Hope I can solve this ASAP...

-------------

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 5:14pm
Do you have new battery cables(wires)?

-------------

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 5:31pm
Nop but might cahnged them..the inner copper in the actual ones looks right,,but tthe terminal were a little rusted..

-------------

Posted By: anthonylizardi
Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 5:36pm
I know I replaced my starter when it would crank really slow. That was it. Good luck!

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 6:03pm
I would want to chance it also but the only chance of a new one is have one sent from the US...10 days at least to have it here!!! And I want my boat now!!!

-------------

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 6:37pm
How much more would it cost to get one from the states than to have one rebuilt twice? You would know then that every thing is new from top to bottom. Just a thought.

-------------

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 7:05pm
One new sent from the US would turn out costing me around $450-500
I also was quoted from a dealer $830!!
against 80-150 for the rebuilt twice!!
I think i´m choosing the rebuilt..any way In the worst case I can pay that money If I gone that far in the rebuilt that 500 will not ruin the 5k I put in that engine so far...(I should have ordered a new starter from the begining alond with the ignition retrofit).
Now I talked to a mechanic friend that services some PCM engines and he happens to have in his shop a 96 gt40 engine that belongs to the local ski federation. And offered to borrow me starter of the engine while mine is being rebuilt. Only difference it has the newer style starter which is more compact and has a 2 wire hook up.
Just hanged up with Eric about the fit of that one on my engine and he assured me it would go...
BTW NICE TALKING TO YOU ERIC!!!

Now in the case i take that one for testing how should I run the wires to make it provisional until I get the old one?

thaks Kapla

-------------

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 7:40pm
Kapla are you sure that engine is a GT40??? last time Vito tried to sell me those he told me they engines were GMs.

There's not sense on getting a new starter, have yours completely rebuild it will end up the same, at least mine did.

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 8:15pm
Just for test, you could put an auto starter on it. Don't leave it that way though!!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: November-05-2009 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Kapla are you sure that engine is a GT40??? last time Vito tried to sell me those he told me they engines were GMs.

There's not sense on getting a new starter, have yours completely rebuild it will end up the same, at least mine did.

I guess they are form gt40, if they were GM I now they won´t fit.

The starter anyways Its being rebuilt but If I could get a borrowed one for the weekend....

Chris:
No cars with that kind of starter around here!!!

-------------

Date Posted: November-06-2009 at 1:27am
I'm sure someone who knows is following this thread, but in the older natiques, what was the difference between a auto and marine starter?

-------------

Date Posted: November-06-2009 at 2:42am
I think reverse rotation is the major problem. I know on my buddy 97 MC I put a car starter but that one was not a reversed rotation.

Date Posted: November-06-2009 at 7:19am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Whenever yall send those dirty neutrals to Eric, you'll be pleased with what comes back!

As I said to Eric on the phone: if it gets to a point I can no longer accept it, it'll be in a crate on its way to "Fantastic Finish Marine" faster than you can say "I-got-a-problem-with-my-tranny-lets-send-it-to-the-tranny-man-in-ohio!"...

-------------

Date Posted: November-06-2009 at 11:47pm
well I have the rebuilt starter, new battery and new terminals for the cables...going tomorrow to put everything in place..wish me luck...i'll report back...

-------------

Posted By: form&function
Date Posted: November-07-2009 at 12:24pm
Good luck kap,your getting real close to done.

Date Posted: November-07-2009 at 2:51pm
My bets is if that thing cranks and runs we won't here from Kap till late tonight!

-------------

Date Posted: November-07-2009 at 3:24pm
She runs!!!!I was there today morning, put the starter the cables, new battery....put her in the water..turned the key...broooomm..like a champ..let it runs for 10 minutes..tuned off...started again..no problem starter now flyies....wow so i went for a ride..boat goes fine...very smooth..anyways I need to adjust some things..but is runing great....

-------------

Date Posted: November-07-2009 at 3:27pm
Congratulations!!! Merry Christmas, you must feel like a little kid. I know I would.

Date Posted: November-07-2009 at 3:34pm
Awesome! What's your plan for bbreaking it in? Have you thought about puuting a oil filter magnet on it? I put one on my new boat before the break in and was really suprised on how well they work on new motors.

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: November-07-2009 at 3:36pm
Damn Kap, so much work and stuck on a starter...that's like buying a car with no wheels!

It'll shake loose.   

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: November-07-2009 at 4:02pm
What are guys doing there LOL..ah yes its winter up there lol..
I will replace oil filter next time I go..all metal shaving should be trapped by now in the filter.....
I will also check on a hard drive magnet..adn stick it to the filter..los..
I still need to remove the exh manifold on the starboard side to adjust the valve cover that its leaking some oil...
I have to do some carb adj as I the neutral to forward is not smooth is you don't give some throtle it stumbles..you will se it in the video...then I think I will have to re-check alligment as I'm having this thuuuuuu sound (like its in all the hull) in the 1800-2200 rpm range... no vibration at all just this anoying sound...
also I'm concern about this new shaft seal I put with o-rings its running hot....I will ask to the manufacturer if its normal (I guess its not)...

-------------

Date Posted: November-07-2009 at 10:28pm
Kapla so cool to hear you and the Nautique this morning on the phone!!!
I was barely awake then... that sound you mention I think it's the new shaft seal and packing being too tight!!!

congratulations!!!!

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-08-2009 at 8:33am
I guess it will wear a bit and loosen up..as its not adjustable.,it works with 3 o-rings and its lubricated with grease...anyway on monday I will call the manufacturer and ask about the Tempurature if its normal they run hot...if it was not the case it would have toasted and melted the o-rings right away and start driping..thing that in my case didn't happen..not a single drop its comming from the the seal...I can say I have dry bilge..for the first time since I own the boat...

-------------

Date Posted: November-09-2009 at 2:14pm
Kap...very cool! I know you'll work out the details on the small stuff. I bet it is exciting for the boat to operate like a boat again. I'm looking forward to that, myself, in 4-5 months.

Date Posted: November-09-2009 at 6:24pm
some pics of saturday maiden voyage..I can feel the ride is much stiffer and quiter than ever no noises at all when going thruog wkaes chops etc... stern sits 4" above the surface with the stern seat in place..I will set it as I used to do it to compare..as for the engine I will be abel to tell the diference when I get to use it with ballast or WOT..fro now its runs very good....

I met my friend Hernan who was also In the maiden voyage of this baby..he bought it used with 300 hours last month, but was delivered last week

edelbrock powered

-------------

Date Posted: November-10-2009 at 12:06am
just wanted to say you guys TIM, ALAN, Eric, Pete, Greg, Lucho and all the ccf member for helping me out with my project!!!

-------------

Date Posted: November-10-2009 at 3:01pm
Seb,

That look on your face in the mirror... priceless!!

-------------

Date Posted: November-10-2009 at 3:48pm
yes I know!!

well I got some input on the shaft seal issue..I spoke with the manufacturer.. It seems its to tight thus making the shaft to rub in the seal..thats why I get the reaised temp and the noise..I will have to take the seal out so he can put it in the Lathe to make it a little bigger....
BTw is the size of the nut that holds the shaft 1" 1/16? As it seems I will need to buy the tube as I don´t have one that big...

-------------

Date Posted: November-14-2009 at 1:28am
well went yesterday got the seal out..using the bolt hub extractor system I got the shaft out..

first time I did the job myself..after some attemops with the right length of tube I got it out

took it to the machine shop..and reassembled it.

today I went to do a test drive..it seems its running a little cooler but I still got that noise in the 1800 2200 rpm range..so I might lean I have some shaft to strut misaligment....

boat going to sleeep

another friend boat here....

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2009 at 1:23pm
Stranded again with the starter..It worked fine for the last 3 outings but yesterday we force it a little bit as we were working on the carb...and crank it more than other time..It seems it got hot enough to cause new short...
About the carb it squirting uneven fuel while idling...and thus it shut off....under load or at cruise it runs fine...So we adjusted the primary float level but finally could not test it as it would not start again...So off the starter went again to the shop....

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2009 at 1:35pm
are boats like woman?

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2009 at 2:06pm
yes some times they are...

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2009 at 2:43pm
Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Keep at it...if she's like a woman, you just need to push the right buttons to get her purring like a kitten ;-)

Date Posted: November-16-2009 at 4:43pm
Sorry to hear about these problems Sebastian...
Yes boats are like women. Chantal sometimes calls ours a real b*tch LOL...
But in the end it will all work out, after a few more beers and lots of cursing

-------------

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: November-16-2009 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

About the carb it squirting uneven fuel while idling...and thus it shut off....under load or at cruise it runs fine...So we adjusted the primary float level but finally could not test it as it would not start again...

Beware its not the evenness that is the main issue, you should not be seeing fuel from any venturi at all, at idle.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: November-16-2009 at 5:08pm
Seb I'm not surprised the starter let go again, with the views you showed us in your other post, how can man concentrate!
Sorry to here your news, time to enjoy the views.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: November-18-2009 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

About the carb it squirting uneven fuel while idling...and thus it shut off....under load or at cruise it runs fine...So we adjusted the primary float level but finally could not test it as it would not start again...

Beware its not the evenness that is the main issue, you should not be seeing fuel from any venturi at all, at idle.

Actually you got me right I meant it was spilling raw fuel at idle on the primaries....Now we adjusted the float..but will be able to test it once I get the starter again...for the 3rd time to the rebuilt shop..now they send it to have all the copper core wiring re-done....
If this doesn´t work I will end up putting a new..

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2009 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Keep at it...if she's like a woman, you just need to push the right buttons to get her purring like a kitten ;-)

Hahaha, hey kapla, this is when I sell or trade.......   

-------------

Posted By: skicat
Date Posted: November-18-2009 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Hahaha, hey kapla, this is when I sell or trade.......   

You mean when you "GET TRADED"

-------------
Greg

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2427&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985" rel="nofollow - 86 BFN

Date Posted: November-18-2009 at 2:51pm
LOL

one thig I noticed with the engine, its now running cooler than it did previous to the rebuilt...it did run before in the 160-170 range..now its running in 150...no matter the rpm so far....Im running the same t-stat and impeller so no change there. Is it possible that now water is flowing better due to the clean up of the block and cylinder heads? I remember the water passages had some junk build up when I teared the engine out?
Or more hp thus the engine is running with less effort?

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-18-2009 at 3:10pm
The clean up of the block and heads may be part of it- I doubt the added hp has any effect. More likely, your hoses are all sealed better now, having removed and reinstalled them all.

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2009 at 3:16pm
I guess so then...and say 150 is a good Tº or is it a little bit Low?

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2009 at 3:25pm
I run around 150-155, so Id say youre good.

-------------

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: November-18-2009 at 3:31pm

LOL

one thig I noticed with the engine, its now running cooler than it did previous to the rebuilt...it did run before in the 160-170 range..now its running in 150...no matter the rpm so far....Im running the same t-stat and impeller so no change there. Is it possible that now water is flowing better due to the clean up of the block and cylinder heads? I remember the water passages had some junk build up when I teared the engine out?
Or more hp thus the engine is running with less effort?

You probably have a better ground than before.

-------------

Date Posted: November-19-2009 at 5:35pm
no luck with the starter..I might buy a new unit and forget..Its strange...I now doubt about being the alternator not charging enough as the first days with the new battery it started right up and now after some days no turn....but I could not test it as I didn´t take the tester to read..lol...
Tomorrow I´ll know best as the guy that did the starter rebuilt will go to the boat and test the starter there insitu!!!

-------------

Date Posted: November-22-2009 at 10:12pm
well was a rainy weekend so I was able to go today in the morning to do some testings..So first attemp..the tic sound as when thers no tenough juice in the battery and the starter doesn´t kick in. we out another battery and the same....but the rear relay di some ticking sound...I gues I´m having a faulty switch there...We put the battery directly to the starter and it turned just fine..then with the engine running I was able to get some readings..the alternator is not charging readings are in about 12v with the engine runnning.
So we went to the carb tunning then...its still dripping lots of gas while at idle..adjusted the 2 floats and they are ok.. It seems that we are having a problem with the power valve? the original one that was replaces had the 4.5 stamped an the one that came in the kit is 6.5...that may be the cause of the rich running carb I guess...
So finally we removed both the carb and the alternator to have them check in the shop...
will report back...At least starter is working...

-------------

Date Posted: November-23-2009 at 1:11pm

It seems that we are having a problem with the power valve? the original one that was replaces had the 4.5 stamped an the one that came in the kit is 6.5...that may be the cause of the rich running carb I guess...

Nope, the change in power valve wont cause the dripping out of the mains at idle. I bet youve got some debris in the needle/seat.

While you have it apart, Id consider swapping out the PV though. With the newer higher flowing parts, the engine will pull a little less vacuum- so you want a PV that opens easier than before (larger than 6.5), not harder. Im running a 7.5 PV and have great throttle response.

-------------

Date Posted: November-24-2009 at 3:19pm
odd..went today after putting back the old 45 power valve which was in good condition....put the carb in the engine..jumped wires to the battery with a fresh fully charged battery..pumped fuel to fill the carb..one turn of the key..and she fired right up and kept idling with no adjustemnt done....a little high on the rpm as it was set before ..lower the screw adjusted mixture and thats it..now it idles fine..around 800-900 rpm...
so out we went to a little test drive....she is nearly hitting the 10 hours of use...I give it a little more than other times and now I feel the difference in the take off..she is really pulling....
then went back to the marina..turned off and tried to turn it with engine hot..it started perfect..no hesitation at all.
Alternator is in the shop to be rebuild, starter now works like a champ...maybe a new starter relay is needed or a new wire from it to the starter..at least I narrowed the problem to that two things....

-------------

Date Posted: November-24-2009 at 3:24pm

maybe a new starter relay is needed or

Couldn't hurt since it's a cheap part to begin with, or try jumping it with a screwdriver next time it won't start.

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2009 at 3:25pm
got the alternator back in the boat..put a new startter selenoid..had to put 3 bateries to jump start..finally got it running...now it crages fine..let it idle a while to let the battery get charge..shut it down and try to restart it..goal....it fires right up..so out we went....
I can say now I feel some diference on those added horses...when you hit it, it puts your back against the seat!!!!

about the SS exhaust..its a little louder than the original ruber one...

after the ride I decided to check how the spark plugs are burning...

I removed all and they are all the same way...

and tommy here learning how to drive...

-------------

Posted By: Andy
Date Posted: November-29-2009 at 4:10pm
I think he hit a tree!!!!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3721&sort=&pagenum=6&yrstart=1982&yrend=1982" rel="nofollow - My Blue 82 SOLD!

Date Posted: November-30-2009 at 6:24pm
Very nice! Must be relieving to have it running pretty good now.

Print Page | Close Window