Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16285
Printed Date: September-26-2024 at 8:20pm

Topic: 82 nautique floor repair
Posted By: 82erostypop
Subject: 82 nautique floor repair
Date Posted: January-14-2010 at 7:48pm
Im new to this and have a 1982 ski nautique 2001. I have decided the floor between the driver and passenger need to be replaced. I have never done anything like this and its eating my lunch. I was wondering if someone knows a thing or two about this and could help me out?

I have already cut out the floor to reveal a mess of foam rotted wood and cracked fiberglass..

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-14-2010 at 8:32pm
James,
You've come to the correct spot for information but be prepared to find issues under the floor. There's really no such thing as just a floor problem!

There are many threads on stringer replacement from start to finish. I suggest you sit down, do a search and start reading. Plenty of pictures too!

If you start pulling up the floor, make sure you post some pictures so we can follow along and give you better advice when needed.

Welcome to CCfan.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:07pm
this is where im at so far. i got a little too close to the edge when i was cutting out the floor and managed to cut right through the hull! i should have read some of these threads.. the primary stringers (in the pictures) are completely rotted out. can i just cut those out and replace that one section?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by 82erostypop 82erostypop wrote:

the primary stringers (in the pictures) are completely rotted out. can i just cut those out and replace that one section?

Like you said, theyre completely rotted out- so I wouldnt stop short of replacing all of the stringers with new.

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:26pm
James,
Just as Tim mentioned, you need a complete stringer job. All the wood is wet and the cancer has spread. Don't feel bad as your not the only one who has thought they were only going after a soft spot in the floor! It's time to pull the engine and start getting to down to the bare hull.

Were you surprised as to what you are finding? How long have you had the boat?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:33pm
This exact scenario happened to me October 2008. Once you see what is in there, you are pretty much committed. In your case, I would say you are long overdue. Neither of mine were nearly that bad.

While the idea of the job ahead of you is very intimidating, it really is not that bad. You basically get a new boat out of it for a couple thousand bucks and a couple hundred hours. The community here will walk you right through it.

Best of luck in your project.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:42pm
James,
I do have a suggestion for future posting of pictures. Downsize them so they don't require scrolling left to right. It makes them easier to view. Thanks

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-15-2010 at 8:58pm
i bought the boat two years ago and have spent the past two summers trying to get the motor running right. I wasnt very surprised the wood was rotted out but i didnt think it would be such a mess under there.. the floor was spongy right there so i had to do something about it. what do you guys think about rhino lining the floor instead of using carpet?

Date Posted: January-15-2010 at 9:02pm
I think you have a lot of stuff to consider before you get to the point of what you are going to cover the floor with.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: JohnG
Date Posted: January-15-2010 at 9:51pm
You have definitely come to the right place; the collective knowledge on this site has saved a lot of boats and first timer headaches. I lurked here for a long time before tackling my stringer job. Good luck and do it all at once; anything less and you'll do it again!

Date Posted: January-15-2010 at 10:03pm

what do you guys think about rhino lining the floor instead of using carpet?

I think you should continue this thread over to wakeboarder.com and see what they have to say.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: January-16-2010 at 11:56am
just for ***************s and giggles for you retro guy's, there is a company out there that makes non skid surfaces that stick, to the area you want to cover. I'll post the website later. its used alot on platforms and decks. im sure its available in flourescents too

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:36am
You guys

Posted By: skicat2001
Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:07am
I have a curious question? I see you pros talk alot about stringers on here. How do you know when your stringers are bad? By the floor? Or by the engine mounts? I am confused.. My floor is solid as can be..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:26am
Skicat-This is a good sign they're rotten!

]

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:28am
Seriously tho, Check the bolts on the engine mounts to see if they tighten or spin freely. Also check for any cracks under the removable floor section behind the motor.

Be careful, searching for rot will normally turn up positive and lead to projects!

-------------

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:29am
Mine were not obvious until I pulled up the carpet and plywood in the back of the boat. You can see pictures on my thread 1973 Stringer Questions that show obvious signs of rot. The real kicker is if your engine mounts will not tighten and just spin in place. A more invasive and sure way to check them is to use a small hole saw. Drill just through the glass so you can see the stringer. The pilot will go a bit deeper and give you a better indication of what is going on under the surface. If all is good CPES over the hole and them fill with epoxy. Good luck. There are not many dry stringers out there.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 1:49pm
Hey guys thanks! I will check mine this weekend. I think mine are ok, I am putting all my new hoses on this weekend. I will check the screws on the engine mounts.

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Be careful, searching for rot will normally turn up positive and lead to projects!

Ain't that the truth....

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Hey guys thanks! I will check mine this weekend. I think mine are ok, I am putting all my new hoses on this weekend. I will check the screws on the engine mounts.

While you're under the dog house, you should check the trans/prop shaft alignment too.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

While you're under the dog house, you should check the trans/prop shaft alignment too.

How do you know they are of line by just looking?

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 3:59pm
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6037&title=alignment - Eric's alignment thread

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6037&title=alignment - Eric's alignment thread

AWSOME! THANKS WAKE.. :)

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 4:15pm
Lee,
Maybe you should change your signature line until you start checking the boat out!

Don't forget about the pictures and do check out the stringers. A 85 isn't immune to rot.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 82 Nautique 1
Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 4:32pm
Pete,

You are right. As long as Correct Craft built them the way they did the rot is there.

Most people do not know it because there floor is not soft in front (the first clue to the ones who care)

When you have a boat, wet people, dripping water, there is no keeping water out of or off of untreated or unglased wood.

As much as I love my boats the most discouraging things to find to find is rotting wood.

Dennis

-------------
Original Owner " Dennis"

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4855" rel="nofollow - 1982 Nautique

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 4:44pm

Lee,
Maybe you should change your signature line until you start checking the boat out!

Don't forget about the pictures and do check out the stringers. A 85 isn't immune to rot.

I sure will.. I can not change my name, my dads best friend called me "Skicat".(Long Story) When I was a kid a grew up on a 67 Cetury Resorter, and he was like my idle. I miss that man, I figure I better keep the name going. But what do you mean 85 2001's are not immune to rot.

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Seriously tho, Check the bolts on the engine mounts to see if they tighten or spin freely. Also check for any cracks under the removable floor section behind the motor.

I sure will.. Thanks for the advice. I am not going do any hard core search, I will just check those screws on the egine mounts

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 6:48pm
I think what they are saying about being immune to rot, is that there are very very few, if any boats from this era that do not have some signs of water intrusion, which eventually turns into a full blown stringer job.
The PO of my boat swore up and down that the floor was solid. There is not a dry piece of wood in my boat. Take pics of what you find and the group here will tell you what is going on.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

The PO of my boat swore up and down that the floor was solid.

I can never figure out how people can claim that in for sale ads without ever having looked under there. You see it an awful lot.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 7:35pm
OK i sure will.. I will take some pics of the stringers and post them on here. Tell me what you exactly want me to take a pic of for you guys to give me a solid and for sure answer. I asked my mechanic about them, and he said they where good, but would like yalls advice as well..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 7:39pm
How long do stringers last? 2yrs,5yrs,10yrs.. or...

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-22-2010 at 9:14pm
We're not going to be able to give you a solid answer by looking at pictures but they may give us a idea if you should continue your investigating. A good spot to get a picture of is where the cross pieces intersect the tops of the stringers.

There isn't any time period you can put on when the factory stringers will go, but your boat is 25 years old and vulnerable.

Did you have any problems understand the alignment procedure? If out, it too can tell you somethings going on with the stringers.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-23-2010 at 8:59pm
Yes sir Pete,
I understood it rather well. It showed great examples of what and where to look and how to adjust.
I had some other stuff I have to care off today and will not post pics of my stringers.I will next weekend.. Yesterday though,on my way home from work, I contacted a Correct Craft Dealer here in Houston. It said stringers are hard to ruin but signs are soft spots in the floor. My floor is perfect but you never know I guess..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-23-2010 at 9:15pm

Yesterday though,on my way home from work, I contacted a Correct Craft Dealer here in Houston. It said stringers are hard to ruin but signs are soft spots in the floor.

Lee,
I wonder what he's been smoking!! I guess he never visits CCfan ether. Guessing, I'd say we have about 6 stringer jobs going on right now!!

Just take a good look and take the pictures.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 1:34pm
6 going on and 35000 more to go, i guess the good thing is if they didnt foam these boat we wouldnt have anything to talk about

-------------

Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 3:18pm

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

The PO of my boat swore up and down that the floor was solid.

I can never figure out how people can claim that in for sale ads without ever having looked under there. You see it an awful lot.

The funny part is that the guy I bought it from is one of my best friends who is going through a divorce and had to sell so I got a steal on it. Well that's not funny but I kept telling him I was finding wet wood in it and he would say "you need to stop digging around in the boat or your gonna mess it up. I told him until he came out and saw what I had seen he needed to keep his mouth shut about what I was doing on the boat. He was still trying to tell me not to do this restring job until he finally came over and saw for himself the extent of the damage. There is zero and I mean zero dry wood in this boat. Even while he was looking at it he says "this wood right here is fine", then put his finger right through it. I just laughed and gave him a big I told you so! I am going to remove every piece of wood in the boat. I don't care if it looks good or not. The tops of my engine stringers looked great, felt great, but when I tried to tighten the engine mounts they just free spun. Now I have found that they are rotten out on the top where they meet the transom and on top under the front seats.

It still ran great in November and I had no idea it was going to be as bad as it was. I wanted to soldier on through this next season but am so glad I decided to go ahead and break it down. Safety first, and preservation of the machine second. I could have put my family in danger or caused irreparable damage to the transmission and engine. In my humble opinion you need to go ahead and make it right.

-------------

Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 5:59pm

Yesterday though,on my way home from work, I contacted a Correct Craft Dealer here in Houston. It said stringers are hard to ruin but signs are soft spots in the floor.

Lee,
I wonder what he's been smoking!! I guess he never visits CCfan ether. Guessing, I'd say we have about 6 stringer jobs going on right now!!

Just take a good look and take the pictures.

Pete,
Yea, thats what is confusing? Correct Craft says go buy the floor, and he even commented by tapping on the egine mounts where they are bolted, and if you get a hard sound you good, if they make a hollow sound they are probally ruined. I will take those pics next weekend. Pete, I am going to be at the CCF Reuinon in TX, would like to meet you and shoot the breeze with ya. You been kind my friend. Thanks Pete

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 8:19pm
Lee,
Some dealers may be off in their own world being tuned into newer boats. Some won't even work on a boat older than 20 years. Also, I'd say a good percentage will job out their glass repair so haven't a clue about the real world and wood stringers.

Stick with the advice you find here as the knowledge base is way beyond the dealers.

I wish I could make it to all the gatherings and meet as many of the CCfan family as possible but until I have more time on my hands that won't happen. In the mean time we communicate via this great forum.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 8:46pm
It sad that a large part of our boat building/repair knowledge is fastly being lost to time. Their is a Shipwright here in PC that is a master ship carpenter and I try and go see him at least once a month, try and learn a few things. The younger generation has no mind to learn how to use a block plane or draw knife.
Most of the ski boat dealerships I know of would never tackle a stringer or floor job they just do not have the knowledge and experiance to do the job.

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 9:06pm
Hey Jody...any chance your friend would let me hang out for a day or two and learn something? Some enjoy teaching and some don't, but I sure would like to know more about the older ways.

Ask him if you see him and I'll tug your ear at the river.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 9:20pm
Pete,
Sounds good, I think there is a vast of just opionions out there. That's why I am glad to have meet the CCF family and are able to communicate with people as your self. I will be on all week, and post those pics of my stringers and floor next weekend. I am curious what people may say of my stringers. I will be shocked if there ruined.

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 9:51pm
you might pick up some carpenter skills every Sunday morning at 9:00am

-------------

Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Hey Jody...any chance your friend would let me hang out for a day or two and learn something? Some enjoy teaching and some don't, but I sure would like to know more about the older ways.

Greg,
I keep saying you're next in line for a wood boat project. You'd be perfect for it.

I do have several friends who went to http://www.mysticseaport.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPage&page_id=F614D167-B0D0-D05E-1A04361F6A01D735 - Mystic Seaport school and all stated it was well worth it. Notice in their description they talk about cutting stem rabbets. You could go to Mystic or drive up here to the Alan Arrighi school of boat building!! Bring all your clamps with you!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: skfitz
Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

. . .
Most of the ski boat dealerships I know of would never tackle a stringer or floor job they just do not have the knowledge and experiance to do the job.

No, the reason dealerships don't do stringer jobs because they can make more money doing other things.

A good number of the stringer jobs on this site are by first-timers. What makes these guys more qualified than a dealership that has never done one before?

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

What makes these guys more qualified than a dealership that has never done one before?

Mostly the detailed information on this site and the willingness to do it right the 1st time on our boats.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:24pm
Probably the reason owners on this site do the jobs themselves is because they want it done right with no shortcuts. I would have a hard time paying a dealership or anybody $4K-6K or more without looking over their shoulders to see what is going on.

I admire the owners to take on a project like this (I am in the middle of a complete rebuild myself) It s because of the great help and advice from fellow CC owners that this is possible.

Fella's keep yourr boat afloat and the pictures flowing..

Dennis

-------------
Original Owner " Dennis"

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4855" rel="nofollow - 1982 Nautique

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

What makes these guys more qualified than a dealership that has never done one before?

They are going to live with it, so they put extra effort into the details. Just my opinion.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Mostly the detailed information on this site and the willingness to do it right the 1st time on our boats.

Oh that's right, dealers don't have internet access. lol

I don't think many owners of $4k boats would pay $7.5k for a decent stringer job. Dealers make money elsewhere.   

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: January-24-2010 at 11:19pm

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Greg,
I keep saying you're next in line for a wood boat project. You'd be perfect for it.

I do have several friends who went to http://www.mysticseaport.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPage&page_id=F614D167-B0D0-D05E-1A04361F6A01D735 - Mystic Seaport school and all stated it was well worth it. Notice in their description they talk about cutting stem rabbets. You could go to Mystic or drive up here to the Alan Arrighi school of boat building!! Bring all your clamps with you!!

Pete, when I hit the lottery and can quit working I'm going to do a four year apprenticeship http://www.vandamboats.com/ - here

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 9:11am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Pete, when I hit the lottery and can quit working I'm going to do a four year apprenticeship http://www.vandamboats.com/ - here

Alan,
If you win the lottery, you could just have Van Dam build a boat for you But on second thought, that wouldn't be as much fun!

BTW, I know 6 of those boats they had on their site are on Lake Geneva (where the $$$ is!!) and I know 2 are chapter members. We get several others that do come to the show as well. Next fall you need to make it and see them up close.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:33am
200x50- 10k, generally glass work is 50 per hour

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

200x50- 10k, generally glass work is 50 per hour

Well, there you go! I used $50/hr too (just by chance), but I figured that after their third one and with all those nice tools at the dealership, they could probably knock out a stringer job in 150 hrs.

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 2:20pm
Guy's It would be nice to know what all a "Stringer Quote includes"

100 % start to finish ?

Removal of all items above the floor
Removal of engine
"Total" stringer rebuild
Floor replacement
Carpet replacement
Re install removed items

Lot's of work.

Is there anyone out there that paid to do everything ?

Just curious

Dennis

-------------
Original Owner " Dennis"

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 2:27pm
Couple guys have tried.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 82 Nautique 1 82 Nautique 1 wrote:

Is there anyone out there that paid to do everything ? Dennis

Couple guys have tried.

Probably John Winn but it looks like he wouldn't have a problem paying for it!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 3:07pm
I would like to know too.. Sounds like a expensive job, guessing 8k to 9k is about for whole job..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 5:46pm
I have read some places where a full replacement is 2K to do it yourself, and 8-9k if you want to get ripped off..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 5:48pm
+200 beers

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 5:59pm

+200 beers

Only 1/hour??

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 5:59pm

+200 beers

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 6:00pm

I have read some places where a full replacement is 2K to do it yourself, and 8-9k if you want to get ripped off..

$2k to do it yourself would be the high end, assuming youre not using composites. That would assume youre working on a larger boat (2001 or bigger), using top of the line epoxy materials, and would include new carpet, ancillaries and some tools. I think you could do a nice job for closer to $1k (not including the extra items), especially if its a smaller boat, all while using the best materials.

Im not sure I would call paying $8-9k a ripoff though. If its a quality job, thats probably a bargain! Im not in the marine business, but having done the work before, I wouldnt take on a stringer job for a paying customer for less than that! I think the $2500 stringer jobs that have been documented on here are much bigger ripoffs.

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 6:04pm
I've got a pile of stuff for sale for $19.95     

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 6:53pm
Mr TR,
Yea after reading about the material, I did not see any expensive material for a full stringer job. Bad thing is, if mine are ruined, I would be to scared to do myself, and screw up something.. And I dont have the place to do it either.. I would have to shop in TX who does stringer jobs at a decent price. I am hoping when I go take pics of mine, mine are still good...

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:28pm
Lee - You might want to consider doing the dirty tear down part yourself & then having someone do the rebuild work.

Other than sawing a hole thru the hull (which is repairable anyway) there isn't much to screw up on that part of the job. Some guys do the tear down outside, so you don't need a shop.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-25-2010 at 11:56pm
Chris,
Thanks, that helps alot. I will post my stringers on here Sunday morn. Would love to get your opionion on them.. Still trying to figure out where should I take the pics to get a solid answer from my friends here at CCF.

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 6:22pm
Here is what my mechanic says which I have learned alot about stringers and repair.
Stringers can be tough to diagnose. (Because you can’t see them ). Although floors and stringers usually show signs of going bad together, it doesn’t happen like that. The only way for floors or stringers to go bad is water getting on them allot. So where we usually go to see if the stringers are bad is the bilge under the motor and the area under the gas tank. These are the two areas where water collects. Its hard for the untrained eye to tell, but real simply by tapping on them with a screwdriver you can tell where soft spots are. Then you can determine whether the area can be patch fixed or you have to replace the whole stringer. It is an unwritten rule that if you have to replace the stringers, you also replace the floor. (Because it has to be removed anyway). The good news is, I hardly doubt that boat needs stringer, because of how you store it!! Thanks, Gabe

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 7:53pm

The good news is, I hardly doubt that boat needs stringer, because of how you store it!!

Based on this statement, I think this guy may fall in the same category as the dealerships mentioned on page 2 of this thread. Clueless!

The only way for floors or stringers to go bad is water getting on them allot.

Alot? Thats relative. I guarantee you have water below your floor. I guarantee your foam is trapping it there. I guarantee a good percentage of the wood in your structure is wet and certain parts will show signs of rot if you dig into them. No boat is immune, regardless of how you store it.

Check the motor mount bolts, check for soft spots in the floor. Pull up the rear panel and inspect everything along the bilge. Poke the stringers with a screwdriver. If everything checks out, then run the boat and stop worrying... you have plenty of time before you NEED to do the stringers... but that doesnt mean the inevitable isnt already started happening. Its just the way things are!

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 7:54pm
Lee,
Yes it's agreed that stringer problems are hard to diagnose and the reason using a hole saw to check the suspected area was recommended.

Tapping can tell you a lot IF the glass has become delaminated from the wood. It's not always easy to tell how bad the wood is just by listening to a sound.

If rot is found, I would never recommend a patch. The water/rot is in there are just waiting to continue in another spot.

Did your mechanic tell you polyester resin is hydroscopic? Yes, that means if you have wet foam, the water will migrate into the wood. We are not talking about standing water in the bilge. If a polyester boat sits in the water, then water will even migrate through the hull. It's the reason some boats will get hull blistering. This problem is one reason we promote the use of epoxy resin. It's not hydroscopic. Epoxy barrier coats are also used to prevent and repair hull blistering on boats that do sit in the water. "AME" resin has been used on CC's for quite some time. I understand it's a polyvinyl and it too is not hydroscopic.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:07pm
Lee.

I agree with TR

If you read the other posts you will find out the fact that Correct Craft DID NOT entirely encase the stringers under the floor in fiberglass. they also did not coat the wood in resin or glass on the bottom.

Additionally with vent hose failures, this was the most prone area to water in the foam and wood. Yes the dealer is right that water gets in the bilge area (the stringers are glassed well in that area.

On the 88 I am doing now 90 % of the rot was in the front area and the secondaries and supports adjacent to the engine area. I had very little rot where your dealer said it is most prone ??

My case may be different, just what I experienced.

Dennis

-------------
Original Owner " Dennis"

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:17pm
We've heard about the vent hoses and battery box drains from this year range before. Both had failed in my case, but I bet they won't again...at least while I'm kickin'!

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:21pm
Lee,
One more suggestion. Do not have this "mechanic" check the stringers!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:29pm
Lee, ask him if he has ever had the front floor removed from this vintage with the problems ?

Once someone opens the can of worms you begin to understand what you read in the CC FANS forums

Dennis

-------------
Original Owner " Dennis"

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by 82 Nautique 1 82 Nautique 1 wrote:

Once someone opens the can of worms you begin to understand what you read in the CC FANS forums

And some of yall thought we were nuts?!!? Well, some of us may be!

My buddy around the cove from here wants to put new carpet in a '79 that is floating low in the water.   

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 9:29pm
Hey Dennis,Greg,Tr, and Pete,
I apperciate you guys responce greatly. Since this post thread has started it has made me think about my stringers, and are mine damaged. I am trying to gather as much knowledge and understand how and what damaged stringers look like. I guess what has got me complteley confused is my floor is so solid,and so intact it would not show water damage anywhere. My mechanic was just telling me that where water is stored,so this weekend I know where to take pics off and then post them and get a true opionion from the boys here at CCF. Again, thanks for replying, I guess I am worried "***************tless" if mine are warped or rotted.

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 9:44pm
SkiCat........

Don't be worried, just be prepared. My old Tique looks terrific but I know what is likely to come for a boat of her age. Information is power! Gathering that info around here is a great way to start.......

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 9:49pm

I guess I am worried "***************tless" if mine are warped or rotted.

My guess is that they probably are rotten to some degree since your boat is 20+ years old. I bet 95% of 2001's are. Maybe more! Check your motor mounts. If the bolts snug up, then the engine isnt going to move around and damage the drivetrain. We've yet to see a CC snap in half due to rotten stringers- and there are some pretty bad ones out there- so dont stress out. If youre not equipped to handle a stringer job at this point, dont worry- just read all you can here and get used to the idea that you'll need to do it eventually. Its not that hard.

Remember, it could be worse. Our Skier had been rebuilt at some point with particle board. PARTICLE BOARD! The carpet was holding the floor up. Now THAT boat was in need of stringer and floor replacement!

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 10:36pm
TR and Steve,
Thanks for the support! I dont want my boat falling all to hell because I didnt know about stringers. I have a nice 85 and dont want her getting stress cracks and fallen all apart.Yalls info has helped greatly. Thanks guys!

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:02pm
Lee,
Nothing has been determined yet. Even if you do find some problems, keeping the boat running for a few years is certainly possible. It's the reason I brought up the alignment issue. It's key to keeping a eye on what's going on.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:36pm
Pete,
Ok, Thanks! I am hoping for good news on Sunday morning. I will post those then, please let me know what you think. I am a perfectionist and believe in pre-ventative maintance. The only way to go..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Print Page | Close Window