Print Page | Close Window

oil changes and that waxy build-up?

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1644
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 1:22am

Topic: oil changes and that waxy build-up?
Posted By: jimbo
Subject: oil changes and that waxy build-up?
Date Posted: May-11-2005 at 8:53pm
I'm curious how often to change the oil. I've read twice a year (half way through the summer and before you put her to bed for a long winter's nap). I'm particularly interested in use guys from the South, being some of us can use our boat year round. With the new house on the lake, it'll be easier to run a lap or two around the lake in Dec, Jan and Feb. Plus, I know the boat will get more use.
Also, along with the Synthetic discussion on another thread, what you do y'all think about oil additives for "high mileage vehicals", the stuff that claims to increase compression, ect.? And what about running some Chemtool through the crankcase? I think THAT will break loose the sludge and clog things up and make the old blue Ford leak like a seive. Any thoughts?

Replies:
Posted By: Jim_In_Houston
Date Posted: May-11-2005 at 10:01pm
My thinking is pretty simple: When the factory starts recommending synthetic oil I'll start using it. Same for additives. When I look thru the owners manual of my auto I never see the factory recommend additives.

My simple strategy - use high quality oil and keep it fresh.

-------------
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Posted By: jimbo
Date Posted: May-11-2005 at 11:00pm
Hey Jim. I pretty much agree with you on that. I did petroleum research some 15 years ago and it was tough to beat a good quality blended oil. Just wondering if things have changed. How often do you change your oil?

Posted By: Jim_In_Houston
Date Posted: May-12-2005 at 12:00am
I change it every year or as soon as it needs it whichever comes first. I will probably get some comments about this but what I do is look at and smell the oil on the dip stick. When it starts smelling smokey or starts looking less than clear (which is now) - I change it as soon as I am in the mood (which will be this week-end). Now, as far as my auto, I'm not sure if it has an oil drain or not.

And you?

-------------
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Print Page | Close Window