URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18138
Printed Date: September-27-2024 at 5:35pm

Topic: Trans out put is hard to turn in neutral
Posted By: Whitfield
Subject: Trans out put is hard to turn in neutral
Date Posted: June-22-2010 at 10:17am
In neutral engine off the output flange is very hard to turn

Originally posted by Whitfield Whitfield wrote:

I've got a sneaky feeling that my prop chopped trailer bunks are due to a shifting issue or warped clutch plates in my 1:1 velvet drive. In neutral engine off the out put flange is very hard to turn.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Without the prop shaft connected? If connected, how's the strut/shaft/log/engine alignment?

With prop shaft disconnected trans out put is hard to turn by hand

Finishing up log strut rudder reseal & alignment this week.

Moved to a seprate post because I didn't want to muddy up rm025's post

-------------
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.

Replies:
Date Posted: June-22-2010 at 10:20am
Does turn easier one way then the other but I could not imagine installing my shaft and prop and turning with 1 finger ~ but prop might giv me a tad more leverage.

-------------
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.

Date Posted: June-24-2010 at 9:41am
Went to visit a friend who is a marine mechanic looking for my odd sized rudder port packing (larger then 1/4"). Asked about any Velvet Drive 1:1 take out transmissions (Thinking rebuildable core). He gave me a good deal on a working Velvet Drive 1:1 trans that he personally removed from a boat that was abandoned / parted out. We checked the transmissoin over as well as you can on the bench (Feel input / output turn smooth / shift smooth / very clean looking oil and oil fill ~ no signs of moisture or water intrusion).

In Neutral the output spins free as I would expect. Much free-er then mine. Looks like I might be doing a trans swap sooner then I expect and making mine the rebuildable core.

-------------
Michael ....    

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: June-24-2010 at 9:56am
did it turn in neutral when the boat was running?

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: June-24-2010 at 11:01am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

did it turn in neutral when the boat was running?

Prop did turn in neutral and it seemed closer to an engaugement then just slow free wheeling.

yes when I first got the engine unstuck and ran it with the cracked block last july ....

I should have done the trans over the winter for insurance of a good summer ~ Just hated spend 1/2 the cost of the boat when the bad motor was not changed out and running.

My thinking was motor 1st / trans 2nd.

Now that I have 45 min drive way time tuning on the good motor (Shaft disconnected) I'm kicking my own hind parts for not being pro-active on the questionable trans.   

I'll water test it this weekend and probally swap the trans next week if it is as bad as I think.     

-------------
Michael ....    

Date Posted: June-26-2010 at 3:09am
Performed well in the water today, no neutral drag no shifting issues, not sure what the difference was. I guess that big ole prop in the water gave a little more resistance then I imagined.

-------------
Michael ....    

Print Page | Close Window