Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1919
Printed Date: October-06-2024 at 2:25am

Topic: Sweating Hull
Posted By: Tim D
Subject: Sweating Hull
Date Posted: June-22-2005 at 7:15pm
Last Saturday I was going to put my Mustang in the lake and while taking off the cover, I noticed the hull was sweating at the back on the driver side on the stripe. I wiped it with my hand and it was cool, weird I thought to myself. When I pulled the cover off I smelled gas fumes. Checked the engine, and no leaks. Put the boat in the water and while walking past it I just happened to look inside just in front of the rear seat and noticed the carpet was wet, touched it and it was gas. Nine gallons had leaked out of the tank. Well there goes the weekend, pulled out the back seat and the tank and it had a small hole about the size of a pencil lead on the bottom at the end. The epoxy finish was worn off each end of the tank on the bottom and rusting. I have a new tempo tank ordered, hope it gets here quick. So if you're bored one weekend pull your tank out and check the bottom and if your hull is sweating you have a leak! I can't complain, its a 39 year old tank.

-------------
Tim D

Replies:
Posted By: David F
Date Posted: June-23-2005 at 12:36pm
I think I have to pull my tank out of the '77 Martinique just for a good cleaning. My tank is aluminum, but I think yours may be steal (?) Anyway, what did the fuel do to your carpet?

Posted By: mackwrench
Date Posted: June-23-2005 at 6:17pm
On a releated note, you really have to enjoy what went into building these older CC's When we wonder why things like fuel tanks, lights, wiring, steering cables etc... can go 35 / 40 years on most of our "tubs" I truly feel like I have one of the best built brand of boats ever .... only 40 y/o!

-------------
NO LONGER A MEMBER

Print Page | Close Window