Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1932
Printed Date: September-20-2024 at 10:52pm

Topic: Checking for oil in a SB Ford
Posted By: Jim_In_Houston
Subject: Checking for oil in a SB Ford
Date Posted: June-25-2005 at 3:20am
If you spin up your small block Ford with the valve covers off you can tell if you have oil in the engine. I used to have a clean engine and a clean bilge. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Imagine firing up your engine sitting on the back of the seat, checking the tach, oil pressure, water temp, setting the RPMs where you want them and turning around and seeing 16, yes 16, oil fountains squirting over both sides of the boat. I haven't ever seen anything like it. My Chryslers never did that. (Even my driveway has a fresh coat of oil.)

-------------
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Replies:
Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: June-25-2005 at 9:39am
A few companies sell little clips to put on the rockers to keep the oil controlled while setting the valve lash.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: AWhite70
Date Posted: June-25-2005 at 1:04pm
Yeah, you can't go much over idle with the valve covers without making a huge mess.

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: June-26-2005 at 12:40am
it just made my day when I imagined the look on your face when you turned around! hope you got it all cleaned up ok, especially the boat

Posted By: David F
Date Posted: June-27-2005 at 1:25pm
Yeh, I used to hate that part of an engine rebuild or head work, etc. Until, I learned how to adjust the lash statically without starting the engine.

Fairly simple to do: I first fill the lifters with oil from an old fashioned oil pump can (stops valve clatter when first starting then engine as the lifters do not have to be pumped up). Then, with the valves closed, I spin the push rod with my fingers as I tighted down on the rocker arm. When I fell resistance on the push rod, I stop tightening...done. This give the lifter just the right amount of preload and I have never had to go back in....well, maybe once (I think I missed one).

Print Page | Close Window