Print Page | Close Window

What's on my agenda from now till next season...

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19884
Printed Date: June-26-2024 at 5:39am

Topic: What's on my agenda from now till next season...
Posted By: Kristof
Subject: What's on my agenda from now till next season...
Date Posted: November-01-2010 at 9:46pm
Since the shaft didn't spin all that freely the last few weeks of ski season, I decided to take the boat out to the marina for one last time to check my alignment while she's sitting in the water.
When I started on loosening the bolts on the engine mounts, I found out that the starbordside front mount was completely loose and all the way down!!!
I could just slap myself!! Right there I understood why the engine had that funny vibration (even when the trans wasn't engaged). Ain't no such thing as "I-don't-need-to-check-the-alignment-this-year-I'll-do-it-next-year" or "I'll-check-that-later-let's-just-ski-now"...Hard lesson learned (yet again).
Now she spins as smooth as can be!

Next: making her ready for winter tomorrow.

In two weeks she'll go to an upholsterer for a complete new interior.

After that, sanding, sanding, sanding to prep her for a new paint job...

So I won't get bored this winter... Pics will follow off course

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Replies:
Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: November-01-2010 at 10:55pm
Its funny how the boats talk to us but we don't want to listen. Thanks for sharing, it is a good reminder for all of us. Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy over the winter. It will be worth it in the spring though. Wish I had a work space. Mine will sit in a snow bank till spring.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 10:16am
will the boat match the propane tanks?

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Please tell me youre not actually considering painting your boat!

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:52am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Please tell me youre not actually considering painting your boat!

Regretably yes!! Algrip!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:54am

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:59am
Someone recently said that between prep and cost of painting with Algrip, it wouldn't have cost any more to go with gel.

There's a guy in Portland that does fiberglass work and paints boats. He's done 2 Mustangs that I've seen and they looked stunning. They look like gel, but are done with Awlgrip. I don't know what he charges for a whole boat, but I got an estimate of around $5k just for the deck on the Classic.

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Someone recently said that between prep and cost of painting with Algrip, it wouldn't have cost any more to go with gel.

That might have been Eric Clarke... he said something along the same lines to me in NC. His Classic is gorgeous, but he said for the time and expense he went through to paint the boat, he sort of wishes he had gone with gel instead.

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 12:28pm
The extra cost of doing a gel job is really in the sanding and buffing of the final finish. Algrip is good stuff but it'd still paint and needs to be treated as such. Plus, to my knowlege, there isn't a paint out there that recommends keeping the boat in the water for very long. Kristof, did you consider that? Don't you keep you boat in the water?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 2:11pm
I've spent the last three months reading and getting info on paint and gel.
I've been advised to repaint instead of regelling, because gel apparently doesn't work that well in open air (only works in a mold by chemical reaction).
Others told me gel is better than paint and works the same...
The salesman from Sterling paints told me if I repaint it with Sterling coating it wouldn't be a problem if the boat stays in the water.

(BTW I know a few fiberglass boats in my marina that stay in the water all season and are repainted, with Sterling...)

So, can someone here finally tell me what to do, so I can stop breaking my head over this...?

-------------
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 2:19pm
I guess the first question that needs to be answered, is why refinish at all? Is there extensive cracking or blistering that needs to be repaired? Your boat looks to be in great condition, so Im curious.

Ill let Pete and the other experts handle the gel vs. paint question, as I dont have any first hand experience... yet. Based on my limited research here, I do know that spraying gel is a legit practice, and when it comes time to refinish the deck of my '67 Nautique, it will be getting gelcoat.

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 3:00pm
Kristof,
As mentioned, I've got to straighten Billy out who I understand is the one who told you gel needs to go into a enclosed mold. It doesn't!!! Wax is added or a PVA coating is applied. Both will seal off the sprayed gel so it will cure.

Maybe the process hasn't made it far enough south yet?? It's been around for at least 15 years.

Ask your Sterling guy about leaving the painted hull in the water.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 4:30pm
Kristof,
I talked with Billy and there seems to be a communication issue between the Cajon and Belgium languages!!! He's up to speed and knows all about gel coat but just feels you should paint the boat.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 5:41pm
I'm sure that in translation, he said "paint" in Belgium which is "gel" in english.

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 5:48pm
I wonder how the yuckytan yellow is coming along? That might be good input.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 5:55pm
Aaarrrrgghh... back to doubts again...

Can you point me to a few sites that give good explanantion on how it works and where I can get it?

Found this site in Holland where they give following explanations:

http://www.polyestershoppen.nl/Gelcoat+naturel-p-1002.html - Gelcoat : stays sticky on the evaporating side (outside), if you don't want it to be sticky on the outside, you must use our http://www.polyestershoppen.nl/Topcoat+naturel-p-1001.html - polyester topcoat , which has a parafine solution mixed in. Colour pigments can be added.

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:00pm
parafin=wax

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:09pm

I guess the first question that needs to be answered, is why refinish at all? Is there extensive cracking or blistering that needs to be repaired? Your boat looks to be in great condition, so Im curious.

Due to lack of driving experience, Chantal hit the dock a little too hard a few weeks ago...
So now there is a 2 inch wide and 2 feet long crack on the starbordside, all through the gelcoat. We made a quick fix with epoxy fairing compound at the time, since it was three weeks from the end of the season and it was a beautiful day...

But now it has to be fixed the right way... This means the whole sides have to be redone... And so I decided to redo the whole hull below the rub rail...

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:12pm
Question: if I use the polyester topcoat, do I need primer first...?
My first guess would be no... But I might just as well be wrong .

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:27pm

there is a 2 inch wide and 2 feet long crack on the starbordside.

the whole sides have to be redone.

And so I decided to redo the whole hull below the rub rail.

Im not following your logic from statement #1 to statement #2. Ive seen much larger areas repaired than the one youre describing- and it didnt involve regelling (or repainting) the whole boat. A good gelcoat guy can match the color in the affected area and it should be nearly impossible to tell there was ever any damage.

"Polyester topcoat" is gelcoat. Gelcoat is simply tinted polyester resin. You would not need a primer when applying gel over polyester (fiberglass or gelcoat), nor vinylester (which is the type of fiberglass your hull is made out of). You would need some sort of intermediate step between the epoxy filler you used and gelcoat, because while epoxy sticks to everything (polyester and vinylester), polyester does not stick to epoxy. I believe Pete recommends an intermediate step of vinylester resin... but Ill let those more experienced than me chime in on the specifics.

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:39pm
Tim,
Logic has nothing to do with it
I wanted to do this for a long time. Chantal cried for hours when it happened, but I was secretly glad it happenend...
I love Choppers' hull and wanted to do something similar since I got the boat. Yes, I know, not original, but had that conversation with Pete over the phone last week .

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:50pm

Due to lack of driving experience, Chantal hit the dock a little too hard a few weeks ago... ...

Did you happen to be standing on the dock? Maybe her driving is better then you think, LOL

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:52pm
Ha, you must be feeling the peer pressure... it seems like just about every CC Ive seen that has made its way to Europe ends up with a funky paintjob or other significant modifications. I figured it must feel pretty cool to have one of the only original boats on the continent! Maybe I was wrong.

Taheejizown.

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:52pm
Quinner, you're a sick little puppy ROFLOL

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:56pm
Tim,
Ya have a point there... Damn... More doubts!

Good thing Chantal isn't reading this thread, cause she's all over me into keeping it original...

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 7:02pm
Kristof, Chantel must drive with authority! I really don't know what the best solution is. I know gel can come back amazingly well from the way our Mustang came out. On the other hand our Classic is painted. If we ever go the big bucks route and have it redone, I think I'd go with gel as it is without a doubt better. The only way I'd go paint is if it was much less money. The guy up here paints the bottom with black bottom paint.
Here is his personal boat. It was at the 2nd NE Reunion.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1975&sort=&pagenum=1 - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1975&sort=&pagenum=1

-------------

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 7:06pm
paint is nice..but in not close to gel in resistance to rubs in docking etc, etc...I see the price difference as an issue but in the long the gel will last much much longer than paint...
Have this friends who painted their top deck on a ´94 style mc..they used polyurethane paint..very nice finish..good work..was holding nice..left the boat aside of mine in the dock..with fenders..but unfortunately water movement made them to move..and my killer SS rubrail that sits higher than the mc..ruined the paint in the deck...uf they were upset!!!.
So my advice is go gel..

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 7:06pm
Bottom line! It's your boat, do what you want to do.

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 7:14pm
Quick search on the gelcoat prizes in the links mentionned in my former post, it doesn't look more expensive than the Sterling paint.
Got a quote from the Sterling salesman and the total price is around 370 euro (517,63 USD)...

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 10:51pm
Well it's almost 1 AM over here and I can't get no sleep...
Chantal peeked at this thread while I was posting with you guys and the discussion about keeping it original started again...
She's sound asleep now and I'm still behind the computer thinking about what to do...
Some guys here got under my skin again and I'm now reluctant about doing a custom paint job on the boat! Talk about deranged!!

So I guess I'll compromise... Here's a pic on how I want her to be:

I just love that black with the red striping. Will order the original decals too... Damn you guys!

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 10:57pm
IMHO-gel is the way to go if you can afford it and can find someone who can do it right. I will soon be searching for the same.

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:00pm
That looks really nice and most people, even on CCF wouldn't know that's not original.

-------------

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:16pm
Kristof I too had once planned on more of a custom make over on my 89. But after spending too much time on here I was converted to leave it tastefully as original as possible (Chicago chapter of CCfan) without sacrificing functionality.

I think Tim hit it on the head though you should be able to repair the damage and if the rest of the gel coat is good a wet sand and compound will bring the original gel back like new.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: 89Ski_Nautique
Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:17pm
Kristof,

For what it's worth, I recommend keeping it original and stick with the gelcoat. You will be much happier in the long run. Recently this year, I went to a lot of trouble on our '89 to remove the paint from a previous http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17328&KW=&title=wet-sandingpurgatory-or-punishment - gelcoat repair and had the gelcoat re-applied to the hull. If you are interested, I will be posting final pictures shortly as soon as the pinstripes are completed.     

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4577&sort=&pagenum=1 - 1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:53pm
Randy,
The "purgatory or punishment"-thread is already in my favorites, so I can read it from time to time...

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2010 at 10:14am
Kristof,
I like the idea of just doing a repair on the dock damage. Yes, a good glass guy will be able do the repair, blend in the gel and you won't be able to see it. Then as mentioned, wet sand and buff the boat out. It would keep Chantel happy!! You must have a glass shop over there someplace!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-03-2010 at 11:23am
Pete,
Turns out there is a bodyshop 3 miles from my door that is used to work with gel. Its a car bodyshop but the owner has a boat and has repaired a few other ones.
I'm meeting with him after work.

She's gonna be like the one I showed on the picture on page 1 of this thread. Still the original design, but I just love the black. Chantal happy and me happy
Gonna order the original side decals from White Lake Marine.

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2010 at 4:13pm
Went to the bodyshop guy and he said he wants to do it. But, I'll have to prep the boat completely so he just has to spray. And he wants to know the details about how to prep the gelcoat so he can spray it.

I just got off the phone with the compagny that has the http://www.polyestershoppen.nl/Topcoat+naturel-p-1001.html - polyester topcoat I posted earlier.

So a few questions for the gurus:

1. The topcoat is a thick solution (almost a paste) and can be thinned with either styrene or xylene. Wich should I use and how much to make it sprayable?

2. What kind of spray gun is the best and what nozzle should I use?

3. The crack in the gelcoat on my boat was filled with epoxy. What do I have to do to make the topcoat stick?

4. What grit sandpaper do I have to use to prep the boat for spraying?

Thanks guys.

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2010 at 4:27pm
Kristof,
1. Styrene but coordinate with the gel supplier to find out how far to reduce it.
2. This ties into the above. One you have the viscosity, the spray gun people will be able to set up a fluid tip and air cap combination.
3. Again talk to the gel supplier. Just as Tim mentioned, over here we use a conversion layer of vinylester resin.
4. I'd say 240 grit. Remember the gel is really a very high build compared to paint. Once it cures, it will need to be wet sanded and buffed out.

Tell your body shop friend to do all the research he can. It doen't spray like paint and trust me he won't like the way it comes out of the gun!! He has to avoid wanting to reduce the gel. Don't go beyond what the gel supplier recommends.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: adamt
Date Posted: November-04-2010 at 4:01am

Ha, you must be feeling the peer pressure... it seems like just about every CC Ive seen that has made its way to Europe ends up with a funky paintjob or other significant modifications.

Case in point, this jackwad recently listed on ebay u.k.

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: November-04-2010 at 4:31am
Miss Delicious??? Sounds like a drag queen stage name.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-04-2010 at 6:02am
LOL Dave!
Guess the guy at the helm dresses up in the weekend

-------------

Date Posted: November-05-2010 at 8:52pm

I figured it must feel pretty cool to have one of the only original boats on the continent! Maybe I was wrong.

Tim,
Just got off the phone with Pete and Billy... That little sentence of yours really got under my skin!
So, I'm gonna grind out the epoxy filler I put in the scratch and regel her. Soooooo... I'll keep her original.
BTW, Chantal really likes you for that

Eventually you will have to pick up your cell phone and talk to me about what you did, cause I'll keep calling you .

Ha, you must be feeling the peer pressure... it seems like just about every CC Ive seen that has made its way to Europe ends up with a funky paintjob or other significant modifications.

FYI, there are about six or seven CC's in my marina, varying from 1977 till 1996 (even two 2000+)... All original! So the pressure would rather be to keep it original like the rest over here

-------------

Date Posted: November-06-2010 at 2:11am

I'll keep her original.

Chantal really likes you for that

Sorry I missed your call, Kristof... no wonder I didnt recognize the number! Im not sure Ill be of much assistance, but it would be great to talk to you nonetheless.

Peer pressure or not, I cant say that Ive ever heard of someone regretting they kept their boat original... if you havent realized it already, I think in time you'll agree its the best way to go.

-------------

Date Posted: November-06-2010 at 10:17am
And I'm happy to hear about the decision as well! Plus, he saves money on the project so now Chantel is even happier!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-12-2010 at 9:23am
As the research for the materials goes on. I made a few calls and went to a few shops to get the stuff I need.

Stumbled onto yet another problem...
I called 3M Holland and Belgium to see if the advised compounds in the "Wetsanding... Purgatory or punishment"-thread are available in Europe... Answer: No
Here's a pic of the alternatives we have over here:

Meguiar's has these to offer:
- 101787 Mirror Glaze M105 Ultra-Cut Compound
- 101796 Mirror Glaze M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
- 100588 Mirror Glaze M80 Speed Glaze
- 101152 So1o Cut & Polish Cream

Then I need to find a good wax too... Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine?

How would I put this...? Oh yeah, HELP!

-------------

Date Posted: November-12-2010 at 10:20am
Kristof,
I use Meguiars on buffing out spar varnish after wet sanding down to 2000. I find them to be a great product. The nice thing (over here at least) is their aggressiveness bar graph on the label. There's no guessing with only product numbers's to go by.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-14-2010 at 5:08pm
Pete,

Meguiars has nice products that might work well.

On the 3M products, here's what I could find about the ones I took the picture of:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/EU-AAD/Home/News/PressReleases/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQSOA2_assetId=1180583561775 - 3M Compounds

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: November-14-2010 at 8:41pm
[QUOTE=Kristof] And he wants to know the details about how to prep the gelcoat so he can spray it.
QUOTE]

Kristof - This may be a detail you already know about, but I didn't see anyone mention it - The final coat of gel sprayed needs to have wax added so it can be sanded.

Make sure your applicator knows this or you will have a hard time sanding it out.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: November-15-2010 at 2:57pm
Before getting into the gelcoat repair, sanding and buffing the boat,I decided to finish a project I started this summer. I got the idea from the2OO1.com. It's a tower speaker project that was also on my agenda ...

First I made a MDF frame:

Then I put fleece on it and stapled and glued it:

Soaked the fleece with epoxy and let it cure:

Fairing and sanding (hated that part ):

Then the more fun part, painting and mounting everything:

All it needs now is some polishing to make it shine even more and some nice CC logos I ordered from White Lake Marine...

-------------

Date Posted: November-15-2010 at 3:06pm
Very nice Kristof! The work will prep you for the hull repair! MDF? You must have spent too much time with Roger at GL this year!!   

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: November-15-2010 at 3:10pm
Kristof.

Wow !!!!!!!

Donald

Date Posted: November-21-2010 at 8:21am
Got a shiny new worktoy! German manufactoring quality at only 59,95 euro (82,38 USD)!
Had to search quite a bit tho to find one that was good quality and not too expensive, cause most polishers cost between 250$ and 300$ over here...

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2010 at 10:36am
you better call Disneyworld and see if they need their Mickey Mouse ears back

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2010 at 2:17pm
the Vienna boys choir should sound good thru those speaks

-------------

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: November-21-2010 at 9:45pm
Well! were do you start, first of all finish stringer project on 75 separator, install new outdrive[bravo], last pieces of stereo sys arrived today asked a local guy at the sand bar this year to help install new stereo and 2g later he dropped off last bit of parts . was thinking of covering speaker boxes with glass any ideas. after all thats done will be finishing 72 sep project, dont think the 72,s will get touched this winter.

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 10:20am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I got "Heidi" ready on CD... Gonna paly it loud!!

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 10:49am

No rap?

-------------

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 11:38am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

No rap?

Greg...maybe you better send him some DTB if you haven't already done so...Of course he might be cranking up some Zydeco that the BoatDr no doubt sent home with him.

My boat never leaves the garage without them on board!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 11:50am
Djeez, will have to do some research on Google and YouTube Foot...

Spent last saturday on removing all the decals and stickers on the boat. Holy cr@p, the striping was a PITA to remove. I told myself that is was CC quality, so meant to stay on there forever . The globes on the sides were also though to remove. almost had to melt them with the heat gun.
The boat looks kinda naked now...
Will post some pictures later, made some with my cell phone.

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

My boat never leaves the garage without them on board!

Kristof, the DTB that's out on the web isn't so hot. I'll make you a disk or 2 over the next holidays of the good stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 1:29pm
Greg, looking forward to it .

Here are some pics of saturday's labour (sorry for the poor cell phone quality):

You can see how the gel has faded... Ain't no buffer gonna get that fixed, so sanding it is!

-------------

Date Posted: December-08-2010 at 5:01pm
Well, next stage...
Brought her to the upholsterer today. By this time next week, she'll have a whole new interior...
Can't wait to see the result!!

-------------

Date Posted: December-18-2010 at 11:43am
As the boat is still at the upholsterer and he's gonna have some delay, I can't start on the sanding and repair part.
So I spent time to finish the tower speakers I made... Here are the pics of the finished product:

Used the polish I got yesterday to polish it to a nice shine. I'm really happy with the result (and a little proud too ). The Meguiars products work really great!!

Also put the striping and the decals on it.
Only thing left to do is hang it in the tower and hook it up (and play it loud!! )

-------------

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: December-18-2010 at 5:56pm
That looks really good! Cool process and you should be proud of it.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: December-23-2010 at 4:38pm
Finally started on the sanding today...
Learned a lesson: double check if there are no remains of glue from the striping... Bad for the sandpaper and a PITA to get off.
So it took some thinner and a lot of patience to wipe off the remaining glue.
The electric sander does a wonderful job! (Long live power tools). And... good thing I read the "Purgatory or punishment thread" (thanks Randy!!) because I followed the advice given there. I did spend the money on the more expensive 3M sanding disks and I baught them in bulk. It works great and doesn't clog up too fast (but still you need lots of it...)

Late afternoon: disaster... My beloved Makita rotary sander broke down . Too expensive to repair, so I baught a cheap one (with two years of warranty). So tomorrow more sanding planned.

I planned to do as much sanding and buffing before I'll tackle the gelcoat repair. I'll work around the gelcoat damage for now. It is too cold over here and I don't have the luxury of a heated shop.

-------------

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: December-23-2010 at 7:18pm
I found that goo off works the best for removing adhesive residue. I used it when I removed the hull id numbers and the transom lettering.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: December-24-2010 at 12:13am
Wow, those speakers came out great!!!!!!

Donald

Date Posted: December-24-2010 at 2:05pm
Got up early today to get back to work on the boat.
The cheap electric sander does a wonderful job (and fast too!!).
The 3M Hookit disks work great!

Started on the port side. Started with P500, then P1000 and finished with P1500. And look at the shine and the color come back...

I'm pleased and surprised it's going so well actually. I'm also really glad I didn't go through with the repaint plan, because she looks really great on the port side already...

Can't wait to get to the polishing point... Wanna test the Megiuars compounds and my new rotary polisher...

-------------

Date Posted: December-24-2010 at 2:44pm
Monday we'll go on. For now I'm gonna enjoy a nice X-mas weekend with my lovely wife.

Merry Christmas everyone!

-------------

Date Posted: December-27-2010 at 3:54pm
More sanding done today. Started on the starboard side.
This afternoon I did a test on the transom. Sanded it all the way and buffed and polished it... Man do I love that mirror shine!!

The interior finally got out of the boat and into the cellar of my interior guy. He's gonna start on it tomorrow...

And on the bad side... Tried to get the plastic cover of the window (that covers up the window screws) and it completely shattered...

Are these still available and if yes, where can I get these??

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: December-27-2010 at 4:50pm
Great progress! Glad you opted out of the Paint idea and took to sanding and buffing. Sure does look purdy!

-------------

Date Posted: December-27-2010 at 6:53pm

As the boat is still at the upholsterer and he's gonna have some delay, I can't start on the sanding and repair part.
So I spent time to finish the tower speakers I made... Here are the pics of the finished product:

Used the polish I got yesterday to polish it to a nice shine. I'm really happy with the result (and a little proud too ). The Meguiars products work really great!!

Also put the striping and the decals on it.
Only thing left to do is hang it in the tower and hook it up (and play it loud!! )

WOW did you fab that box?
looks super cool...

-------------

Date Posted: December-27-2010 at 7:25pm
Thanks Seb!
I am indeed really pleased with the result...

-------------

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: December-30-2010 at 1:25pm
Try a glass shop for the trim around the windshield. Maybe they can help you?

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: January-21-2011 at 2:07pm
Update:

Slowly but steady the interior takes shape... A few pictures:

The back seat:

In detail (love how the black thread accentuates the seems!):

More skins ready:

-------------

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: January-22-2011 at 1:51am
lookin' very good!

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: January-22-2011 at 4:28am
the back seat looks more comfortable than my recliner

Date Posted: January-22-2011 at 8:00am
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

the back seat looks more comfortable than my recliner

Can't wait to throw the anchor in a quiet cove next summer and just lay back in that seat with my feet up on the motor box... As it is very comfortable indeed .

-------------

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: January-22-2011 at 9:45am
Kristof,
Were those skins made locally? They look very good.
Ditto to the anchor dropping. It's been a very cold winter here and has made the seasonal depression much worse. Counting down the days to warm boating weather.
Steve

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Posted By: sagres88
Date Posted: January-22-2011 at 10:27am
They look very good with the black seems!

-------------
1990 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-22-2011 at 11:14am
Steve,

Yes they are made by a friend of a friend of mine. He's only 27 years old, but already has a lot of experience. His dad was an upholsterer and he started helping his dad when he was only 13 years old!! I've seen some work he's done, including his own custom made interior of his BMW 3-series, which looks awesome.

-------------

Date Posted: January-22-2011 at 3:38pm
swat, here is a good starting number 150

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2011 at 4:58pm
We fitted the back seat in and test fitted the spotter seat and sidepanel. Sure looks good to me!

Meanwhile, buffing and polishing continues at a slow but steady pase...

-------------

Date Posted: February-10-2011 at 5:59pm
WOW, that looks very nice!!!

-------------

Date Posted: February-20-2011 at 12:03pm
She shines again!!!

Also, the interior is finished. Here's a picture of the driver's seat... Love the black and red line on the side panels too...

Now I have to be patient untill the weather warms up in order to do the little gelcoat repair I still have to do and put the decals and striping on.

-------------

Date Posted: February-20-2011 at 12:09pm
Looks like a new boat Kristof. Nice work!

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: February-20-2011 at 12:11pm
Looking really good Kristof.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: February-20-2011 at 1:34pm
Kristof,
Better than painting!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-20-2011 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kristof,
Better than painting!!!

Another one saved! How many Correct Crafts do you think have been soiled with paint because people did not know they could restore the gel?

-------------

Date Posted: February-20-2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Another one saved! How many Correct Crafts do you think have been soiled with paint because people did not know they could restore the gel?

One more if all my CCFan buddies (with a little help from mu lovely wife) hadn't talked me out of my initial plan .
I'm glad I kept the original gelcoat and very happy with the result I got (even if my arms, back and shoulders hurt like hell from all that sanding and buffing ).

-------------

Date Posted: February-21-2011 at 2:09pm
nice work there!!!

-------------

Posted By: C-Bass
Date Posted: February-21-2011 at 4:27pm
Looks awesome. With every one of these gel buffing project, the guilt builds up. One of these days I'll have to join in.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Posted By: The Dude
Date Posted: February-22-2011 at 12:50am
C'mon Cbass! Get r done!

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Date Posted: February-22-2011 at 5:51am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Looks awesome. With every one of these gel buffing project, the guilt builds up. One of these days I'll have to join in.

I had that same feeling! All it took was a little driving accident from my wife... Maybe you should let your wife drive her against the dock to get you started...??

But, before you start, train your shoulders and arms first, cause they are gonna hurt .

-------------

Date Posted: February-22-2011 at 11:36am
Haha. I'm sure that accident will happen right after I get done with all the work.

I plan on using a DA sander for the majority of the boat when I do mine, so hopefully it won't be too bad.   

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Date Posted: February-22-2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

I plan on using a DA sander for the majority of the boat when I do mine, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Exactly what I said to myself when I started...

-------------

Date Posted: February-22-2011 at 5:37pm
I forgot you used a DA too...    Any reason you did yours dry vs. wet?

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
85SN

Date Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:54pm
No particular reason, other than being lazy and not wanting the wet mess...
I used 3M sanding disks and they worked great. Did 600 and 800 grit dry with the DA and did the 1200 grit wet by hand with a sanding block.
And believe you me, I was very glad my buddy came to help me on the wet sanding... It felt like it would never end .

-------------

Date Posted: May-10-2011 at 6:53pm
Final update... She's ready and in the water!!
Thought this day would never come LOL.

Finished the gelcoat repair (what a PITA for an amateur like me...).
Mounted the speakers in the tower.
Put new decals on (not original, but I really love them!!).
Buffed and polished her to a nice shine.
New distributor cap, rotor and points.
New spark plugs.
And so on...

Now she runs like a champ and I'm happy with the way she looks.
Here are some pictures:

-------------

Print Page | Close Window