Print Page | Close Window

Star Flite/Collegian Restoration (by The Boat Dr)

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20614
Printed Date: June-22-2024 at 11:34pm

Topic: Star Flite/Collegian Restoration (by The Boat Dr)
Posted By: uk1979
Subject: Star Flite/Collegian Restoration (by The Boat Dr)
Date Posted: February-10-2011 at 8:13pm
Billy has ask if I can post his restoration as he has IT issues with the pictures so here we go,Billy found this boat on Ebay after Marty (MartyMabe) spotted it and post it first,and with the help of 65 Cuda (Gary Blackburn) bought it not knowing for sure what CC he had, many things just did not add up but was sold as a Starflite, he just had a good feeling about the boat, so a round trip of over 2200 miles it was sat in his shop ready for the Doc to bring back to life.
The pictures tell the rest of the story and finds he has a one off boat made by CC The Collegian Utility

Back At Billys Shop

Part two to follow.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Replies:
Date Posted: February-10-2011 at 8:29pm

part three after a tea break.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: February-10-2011 at 9:04pm
Thank you so very much Roger........When you are here in March you can teach me.....Ha Ha
I hope everyone enjoys the resto as much as I have >>>>>   

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: February-10-2011 at 9:13pm

Billy you let the cat out the bag its not you its the PC right

Cheers Roger.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: February-10-2011 at 9:21pm
WOW!

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: February-10-2011 at 9:36pm
I think Billy is now a Boat Surgeon.

Way to go - so few people (& we have most of them on this site) have the skills or motivation to bring a marine piece of art back to life!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: February-10-2011 at 11:04pm
Chris, I guess I wanted to bring her back to her former glory.
I have received help from other members that have a desire,also, to save a part of Correct Craft history.I want to thank everyone involved in the inspection,storage,trailer swap, and the safe return trip in Sept. I have some time left before River Run, maybe a first showing there????

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: February-10-2011 at 11:38pm
Really cool boat and you have moved quickly! So sad I am going to miss the run. I know it will be a great time as always.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Posted By: dillon5
Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:51am
Beautiful job. I can only imagine how much fun it must be to put that first coat of finish on and see that mahogany come back to life after all those years. Keep that boat in your family forever. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Mark

-------------
95 Nautique 351

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 6:54am
Billy,

One word my friend: A-WE-SO-ME !!!

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 9:42am
she's a beauty

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: scottb
Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:17pm
Wow! That really looks great.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:40pm
Wow! Doc, she's come along way since Marty and I were there in October. She's absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see her in person, and the look on Mr. Ralphs' face when he see's her as well. Great job as always Billy but then again, we wouldn't expect ANYTHING less from you.          

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:40pm
Kristof, There will be another classic CC for you to enjoy when you return.
I have had so much help from Pete, Allen and Roger on this project. I am sure they want her finished as much as I do.As far as we can tell, this is the only "utility " or aft seating version I have found.
There are a lot of oddities on this boat as well,all custom welded aluminum exhaust, the unusual seat bases and backs just to name a few.I wish I knew more about the history of her birth.
The SF serial number is being the biggest question, it clearly is not a Star Flite. The deck pattern and length and beam suggest it is a Collegian, late 1955 or early 1956......The saga continues.......

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: 67nautique312
Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:58pm
Another head turner for Billy boy!!!Quality and Quantity....You pretty much have that taken care of billy with all the boats you have!!!

Nice work....and Love the 312!

Paul,

-------------
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique

Posted By: dochockey
Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 1:18pm
Awesome job Dr. !
What did you have to do to the engine?

Kirk

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 1:36pm
The 312 had sat on on pallet since 1964, the bottom end was a reman short block that was never cranked. The top end was treated to a set of SS intake and exhaust valves, rebuilt the YH Carters along with the complete replacement of all fuel related parts.
Motor is completed and running fine, my only fear is of the Dearbomatic type A tranny.I would rather leave it OEM original, but at the slightest hint of slippage , I will retro fit a Velvet Drive.
Thanks for the kind words Paul, I will hand the keys to ya at River Run if you show........Test run not far off.....

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 7:25pm
I think it's awesome...unless it has another one of those damn thumb throttles.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 10:21pm
Greg, it had a heel/toe foot throttle, this was scrapped for a more modern Morse. The thumb throttles are cool , but the linkage to hook up for the Y block were too great.A used MV 1 served the purpose nicely.Also upgraded , under duress from Pete , was the steering . All new Morse NFB steering, along with a larger rudder.
More pics to follow soonof the front deck, sanding out the first two coats tonite.Many coats to follow.........boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: February-11-2011 at 10:39pm
Holy ***************e, Billy.    That is a beautiful craft. Amazing work you have done.

Hats off to you, Doctor.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: February-12-2011 at 9:33am
I missed this, I'm sure this boat will be fast, as its had the odd tweak to help it.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: February-12-2011 at 9:57am
WOW Billy if you had let the cat out of the bag earlier I might have been planning a trip to the SJRR myself.

The fore deck on that boat is almost an artwork!!!

Billy now that the pictures have been posted we need the story to go with it.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: February-12-2011 at 11:40am
Amazing attention to detail! that thing is beautiful. Jeff

Date Posted: February-12-2011 at 12:19pm
Lewy, Not much more to add to the story that Roger started, but I will try for the hi lites...
We have little verbal history of the boat,but this is what the seller told me.
The boat was used untill 1963/1964 when the engine developed a small oil leak , possibly caused by the #5 connecting rod exiting the block.With a bit of aluminum welding, on the oil pan, to the close up the wound, along with a fresh short block, the engine sat on a pallet for 45 years.
The owner suggested a revarnish on the hull while the motor was removed, this was started, but after the owner death in 1964 no more work was done on the boat. The dealership in Cinncinati kept her inside till the fall of 1986, when the building and all contents sold to a new owner. At this time she was moved to a less desireable, but covered storage.
Fast forward to Oct. 2010, The boat and motor are found intact in a pole barn with many old cars and trucks.The tip led to the purchase of several classics including the boat.
The new owner was a car guy, not knowing what he had, he placed it on E Bay for a quick sale.I contacted the owner and offered him a buy it now price. He agreed to allow Gary Blackburn to survey the boat and it's hardware before making payment.
Gary's opinion was less than what I hoped, but I still wired him cash to "make the deal go down". Mr. Blackburn was good enough to be my point man, from start to finish.I am sure his wife was happy to see another CC in his drive.
In September Karen and I drive to Gary's house to remove it from his driveway and take her on her first road trip in 45 years.From Ohio to Charlotte for a survey from Pat Crusse @Crussen Classic's. He suggested transom work and a major refinish of thre deck and sides.Very little rot was found, as the boat was a jewel in the rough.
That is a shortened version, but hopefully that tells most of the story as I know it.I still have a long way till I wet her back side,but when I look at those pics in Gary's drive, I know I have come a long way baby.......Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 10:46am
New Pictures from Billy

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:45am
Billy is on a roll now,there no stopping him great work.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 12:15pm
Very nice boat Dr. Great work!!

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:03pm
Looking great Billy. Is that nautolex vinyl on the floor?

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:07pm
YES,the floor is Nautalex Sandstone, tho not OEM , nor period correct, it is the product I chose to use. The covering boards are also covered in Nautalex, it is called "underliner" very durable...I think it was a good choice on both products.

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:24pm
I like it. I was going to use that in my Skier as a more period correct floor cover but pennies started adding up fast and I figured since it is available I can put it in there after the kids trash the red carpet.

-------------

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:25pm
Dang, I didn't receive the 'NEW' PICS !!
Also, no mention of the 'Poster' of the E-Bay 'Find' ?
You got any of the Nautalex left Billy? Enough for the Skylark? If so, bring it to SJRR and we'll settle up there. I've got the darker color on a roll but it's gonna be close. If I go back and section it off like it's OE look, I might have enough to do it, but I like that Sandstone color better!

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 8:03am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Dang, I didn't receive the 'NEW' PICS !!
Also, no mention of the 'Poster' of the E-Bay 'Find' ?
You got any of the Nautalex left Billy? Enough for the Skylark? If so, bring it to SJRR and we'll settle up there. I've got the darker color on a roll but it's gonna be close. If I go back and section it off like it's OE look, I might have enough to do it, but I like that Sandstone color better!

Sorry Marty, your now in on the story Look now.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:01pm
Billy on his 3rd coat of varnish and mopping up a few odds and ends

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 1:38pm
What is in the seams looks way cool! I want one!

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 9:59pm

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Date Posted: February-19-2011 at 6:30pm
Enjoy Guys not long now.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: Ranger
Date Posted: February-21-2011 at 12:37pm
Wow, very impressive work.

I love those old boats.

Jeff

Date Posted: February-21-2011 at 1:12pm
Here is you Monday Morning wood Guys, now outside in the sun in all her glory

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: February-21-2011 at 1:58pm

-------------
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: Wacko
Date Posted: February-21-2011 at 4:50pm
That looks really amazing. These wooden boats are works of art!!!

Date Posted: February-21-2011 at 6:48pm
Thank you Roger for posting these pics for me. It has been a long time coming but we are almost home.......Water test is set for this week end,I will see if the "water gods" permit.........

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: February-21-2011 at 9:34pm
Boat Dr. that thing is lookin' real good. Get yourself the keelguard in red to match that bottom paint and you'll be all set right? Seriously, it looks real good. Was this more of a refurb than an all out restoration? Looks awesome regardless.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Date Posted: February-22-2011 at 12:35am
Steve I would say a combo of both. There was a total restore on the transom frames, and knees along with a new inner ply w/ 5200 barrier. The original planking was installed over that. The factory transom was not the built to last 55 years, after my repairs and mods it will last another 50....
Complete rebuild of the stock 312 , the only mods there were the Stainless Steel Intake and exhaust valves. Water test coming soon. ......Billy

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-22-2011 at 11:24am
Billy this is what you have done since Aug 2010 along with my 312 build and a month off shooting plus your day job too

Before

Now

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: February-22-2011 at 8:08pm
Billy, as always great talking to you today! She looks beautiful. Wish I could be down at SJRR to see her in person!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: February-24-2011 at 1:44am
Check out those SWEET Brass--although not period correct-- Script Correct Craft hull badges

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN

Date Posted: February-24-2011 at 4:59pm
Here's the latest ENGINE pics GUYS!!!!

-------------
66 Skylark

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: February-25-2011 at 11:56pm
Billy,

Nice work. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing it at the SJRR.

Donald

Date Posted: February-26-2011 at 9:00pm
MAIDEN VOYAGE GUYS !!!!!

-------------
66 Skylark

Date Posted: February-26-2011 at 10:36pm
CONGRATULATIONS BILLY!    

She's beautiful!

Not sure who's happier right now?

You cause you got her done or;

Karen cause she's got her husband back.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: sweet77
Date Posted: February-26-2011 at 10:52pm
i will be at the SJRR standing by this boat taking names and money for the DR. while he is giving everyone rides in this of a correct craft

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5528&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t

Date Posted: February-26-2011 at 11:21pm
We made about a 20 miles loop , good oil pressure , temp guage about 150, full tank of fuel, so lets have a go......I still have not found that sweet 500 rpm idle that Roger has. A bit more carb work will solve that issue, I hope.
It has been a long journey to get her to this point, but will have to say, " this one is a keeper" nuff said.The ride is everything I had hoped it would be.Good power out of the hole and a decent top end,40 plus.....SJRR is getting closer....

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: The Godfather
Date Posted: February-26-2011 at 11:45pm

Billy,

I would like to give that amazing boat a proper name on the stern.

If you are gonna give it a name:

"Second Chance"

Great work Billy...Love to see it at SJRR soon and the story.
I think you need to give Mr.Ralph a ride..

Dave

-------------
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....

Date Posted: February-27-2011 at 12:44am
The name was chosen a while back, the sign painter is set for Monday.After a 3 day wait for the name to dry, I will add 3 to 4 more coats on the transom .
Next step , remove the hardware to a bare hull , 4 or more coats will complete the deck and then the final assy.........Maybe she will shine after a few more coats........

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-27-2011 at 12:54am
Roger, Sorry about posting these last pics, but figured I save you some space on your pic 'allotment'.

Names--Huh??

"Finding Marty"

"Woodying Along"

-------------
66 Skylark

Date Posted: February-27-2011 at 9:35am
Wow Billy there is not alot more we can add to how great she is its all over your face, to think this boat has not see water for close on 50 years and now on its first shake down, thanks all your hard work so we can all enjoy her
Thanks Karen for putting up with all us boat guys

Marty thanks for posting they needed to go up for all to see    

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: February-27-2011 at 5:41pm
Billy,

She is a real beauty!!!
That big smile on your face says more than a thousand words...

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2011 at 3:10pm
More pictures on its second shake down real cool Billy

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: February-28-2011 at 3:51pm
Looks great Billy! Wish I could make it down to the River Run to see it in person.

Any chance it will be at GL?

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2011 at 7:24pm
Here comes the name
Cheers Billy

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: February-28-2011 at 11:01pm
great job mr. sutton

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5528&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t

Date Posted: March-01-2011 at 12:02am
My wife will be happy to see her finished, she has been a "boat widow " for too long. Vacation time in the near future, can anyone suggest a place for a quaint get a way in late March. Florida would be contender ??????

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: March-04-2011 at 1:33pm
Billy "Doc Time" sure looks good from this side of the pond,I'm getting closer to seeing her up close, keep up the great work on her.

Roger.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: March-04-2011 at 2:07pm
She will go into the shop again tonite, 2 qts. of Flagship and a new badger hair brush. Can you guess what I will be doing this weekend?????

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: key
Date Posted: March-04-2011 at 3:34pm
sweet, sweet, sweet!!!!! i dont smoke, but driving that thing, i would have a high dollar cigar hangin for ever outing!!! LOL

Date Posted: March-14-2011 at 8:09am
Billy's shake down all on track for the reunion      

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: March-14-2011 at 9:59am
real nice. i didnt realize the trees in the Bayou lost their leaves

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: March-14-2011 at 10:51am
She's gonna make some heads turn on the way to SJRR...

-------------

Date Posted: March-14-2011 at 2:12pm
Looks great Billy! Can't wait to see it in person!

-------------

Date Posted: March-14-2011 at 2:41pm
Eric, that tree is a "bald cypress" they lose their "needles" leaves in early spring.As our native trees bud with new spring growth the cypress trees start to drop their's.
That is a picture of my back yard, behind the boat, 75 degrees and sunny in Louisiana . Cant wait for SJRR        Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: April-20-2011 at 7:45am
The Time has come to upgrade the Dearbomatic type A tranny after Billy nursed it through SJRR to a Velvet Drive and a new raw water pump.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: April-20-2011 at 10:52am
should would have liked t been there for this little project. Probably could have learned something

-------------

"An empty wagon makes t

Date Posted: April-20-2011 at 12:37pm
Sweet, I debated on the swap to a V/D before SJRR. Way too many parts and pieces to obtain and install in such a short time.
I will post some pics of the "old school" impeller type raw water pump, there was a time before Jabsco, Sherwood.This was a much needed upgrade as well as the new tranny.
Drive shaft also needs mods,along with new mounts for the tranny, all this and still leave room for a tranny cooler , not needed before.
Shifter cable and mounting brackets also ate a large amount of labor, I am at 50 plus hours for the swap, and the engine still sits outside the boat, I think the time and money will be well worth the time and money .........Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: April-20-2011 at 4:59pm
Billy sent over pictures of all the old parts he has had to change to run a velvet drive tranny, along with what's left of the Dearbomatic insides we were lucky it made it through SJRR

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: April-20-2011 at 6:16pm
Can we guess what you call that thing bolted to the oil pan?

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: April-20-2011 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Can we guess what you call that thing bolted to the oil pan?

Bolted inside, Windage tray? That pan must sit down real low, I don't see any room for the crank. Do these blocks extend down farther, by that I mean the bottom of the block is not at the center point of the crank right?

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-20-2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Bolted inside, Windage tray? That pan must sit down real low, I don't see any room for the crank. Do these blocks extend down farther, by that I mean the bottom of the block is not at the center point of the crank right?

Alan,
Yes, that's why they got the nickname "Y" block.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: uk 1979 part2
Date Posted: August-10-2011 at 1:14pm
Just had a call from Billy,he was flicking through ebay CC's and looked at this one again, with the new pictures it sure looks a lot like Billy's boat,what do the team think?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320738851631 - 1958 Cypress Gardens CC
Edit Pic

-------------
lets have a go 2

Date Posted: August-10-2011 at 2:12pm
I did not think twice about this boat when I first saw it, but after newer pics were posted on E Bay , I see the two boats have a lot in common.
The shot of the transom on both seem very close, the side veiw also has a lot of common features also. Granted the engine,and dash are all "updates" as are the interior covering boards. The last item that differs is the exit of the exhaust to the inside of the stringers/engine bed frames.
There were a few "unique boats" that were built at the Pinecastle plant, time will tell if more exist out there in someones barn or boat house. We will keep looking and hoping for that next barn find............

Alert........ Wooden Boat Show August 26/27 Lake Ray Hubbard, Dallas Tx. We will be there with our CC Woody.........Billy/Karen

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-10-2011 at 4:04pm
Billy, I skied Ray Hubbard a few years back, I'm sure you will enjoy your time there!

If I remember correctly, it was either that lake or Lavon that had a cove full of trees with a channel that was cut out so people could drive their boats. Probably some of the scariest skiing I've ever done! As we were pulling the boat, a bass boat ran WOT across the channel and drilled a stump at the end of the run. I was glad we were done to say the least!

-------------

Posted By: vondy
Date Posted: August-10-2011 at 5:11pm

Alert........ Wooden Boat Show August 26/27 Lake Ray Hubbard, Dallas Tx. We will be there with our CC Woody.........Billy/Karen

Sweet! That's our usual lake. We'll have to drive the Mustang out to see ya Billy.

Those guys do a show every year at a small lake by our house, White Rock. The lake does not allow anything over 5 or 10 HP but they let those guys on once a year to show their boats. It's a good time.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4645&sort=&pagenum=1 - 69 Mustang HM

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-10-2011 at 7:24pm
Billy,
Looking at the pictures, it sure does look like they are matching hulls!!

Yes, as you mentioned earlier today, it's really a shame so much money and so much none original was done to that boat. I don't feel he'll ever get it back!! The PO owner got lucky with the present owners "impulse" purchase. I have a feeling he didn't know anything about wood boats at the time and that engine with the blower on it "boggled" his mind!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Sweet! That's our usual lake. We'll have to drive the Mustang out to see ya Billy.

Those guys do a show every year at a small lake by our house, White Rock. The lake does not allow anything over 5 or 10 HP but they let those guys on once a year to show their boats. It's a good time.

Too Cool Vondy...
We are staying at the Rockwall Hilton, arriving Fri. nite late. Boat show at 8:00 am Saturday, we will be there till afternoon on Sun. Bring the Mustang and come hang with the wood .....Give ma a call , we will xchange phone #s .......Billy/Karen    1-318-386-2825 shop

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-07-2013 at 5:15pm
Had some pictures in of Billy's new low rider trailer rig for Doc-Time....some real neat work on the custom bow stop,She ready to roll and make a splash at SJRR.
I'm sure back in 55 a 4 blade prop was the norm Billy

Its cool how the windshield folds down...

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: February-07-2013 at 5:30pm
Still a lot to do before SJRR, a bit of trailer work left.Wooden boats do not load as easy as the newer plastic ones, ha ha ....Saw a trailer at Mt. Dora with the same set up, adjustable bow stop,under a Gar Wood. Not my idea , but I sure seized on the simple but clever usage.

I have the old tranny out now,front pump seal drip .
Reman setting on the table awaiting paint and cooler lines, should have it in by 5:30 pm. No more oily bilge ?????

The fold down wind screen is a plus on those hot humid La. nites....Not a lot of these were installed during that time frame. This makes this boat even more unique, along with the left hand motor, a one of a kind,

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-07-2013 at 5:49pm
I'm digging the "Flower Pot Girl" on the Left fender. Is she an add on for your cigarette butts when your tinkering with the Trannz?   

Looks good Doc.... I bet she tows better than the one she's been sitting on.

Ya know......while you've got the motor out; NOW would be a good time to add a pylon so your buddies can go for a ski run up river behind her.

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2013 at 6:07pm
Sorry for the photo whoops, that is Caroline, our moss girl, she resides at the side of our house, and not on the fender.........

The ride/towing is much improved, along with the ease of loading too.I wish I would have done this a year ago.

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: February-07-2013 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Ya know......while you've got the motor out; NOW would be a good time to add a tower so your buddies can go for a ski run up river behind her.

-------------

Posted By: vondy
Date Posted: February-07-2013 at 7:06pm
Billy! Haven't seen you on here for a while. How you been? Did y'all make it to the boat show in Dallas last year? The girls were still a bit to small for the heat so we didn't see it but hope to this year.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4645&sort=&pagenum=1 - 69 Mustang HM

Date Posted: February-07-2013 at 8:23pm
NOPE

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-08-2013 at 11:15am
More in from Billy.....Rebuilt VD ready to go in and new shaft too....no more oil in the bilge now.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: February-08-2013 at 12:25pm
I am a bit tired of the labor and dollars that is needed to keep this woody afloat. Can anyone tell me if the bleeding will ever slow down, these money transfusions are taking a toll on my check book.
Everyone cannot own a CorrectCraft, may be I have too many   

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: February-08-2013 at 1:33pm
Billy - The bleeding stops when you run out of blood.    There are those that appreciate what you do, a small consolation.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: cphase
Date Posted: February-08-2013 at 1:48pm

may be I have too many   

Is that possible?!

-------------
Thanks,

Jeff
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6549" rel="nofollow - 82 SN
http://www.archlinux.org" rel="nofollow - Arch Linux

Date Posted: February-08-2013 at 1:56pm
As I look back on the start of the resto, I did not think it would take as long .. Alan and his thread brought back a lot of memories andt the long nites required to bring the old girl back to her former glory days..
There are far too few wooden CC,s on this site as well as in the water. This alone will not fill the gap between Chris Craft and CorrectCraft but we need to at least try...
I only wish there was more documentaion on Doc Time, as far as we know , this is a one off. Interior layout, Interceptor engine, and folding windshield all add to this being a unique build.
At one time we assumed it was a Starflite, but the Data Tag info for a Starflite begins with a "ST " Doc Time has a Data Tag with "SF". There seems to be NO record of this designation in 1954... The plot thickens.........Anyone have any thoughts on this matter.......I have entered her in several boat shows, but have yet to gain more info than what we started with.........Ha Ha Ha

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: February-10-2013 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Trailer wheels borrowed from the Delorean from Back to the Future?

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: February-10-2013 at 11:53pm
I gotta agree, Tires and wheels before SJRR.Give me a break guys.. I want something "old school", but have not found the correct combo yet... Plain chrome w/baby moons

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-11-2013 at 12:00am

Here ya go Billy, just swap the yellow for some nice matching red.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: February-11-2013 at 12:07am
That I like, send me more info..........Biiy

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-11-2013 at 12:11am
Wheel Vintiques has what you need friend.

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/index.php/smoothie-bare-finish.html" rel="nofollow - Wheel Vintiques

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Print Page | Close Window