Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21118
Printed Date: September-27-2024 at 10:07am

Topic: Buying a Brand New Boat
Posted By: robertbruder
Subject: Buying a Brand New Boat
Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 2:45pm
Disclaimer: I'm sure this has been covered on the forums in the past any directions towards previous posts would be appreciated.

Has anyone on here purchased a brand new Nautique in the past 3 years?

Just curious as to the pro's / con's of purchasing new vs slightly used.

-------------
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique

Replies:
Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 3:18pm
So many factors to your question, which model, do you have very specific requirements like color/motor, etc., timeline, etc.

Buying new you can get exactly what you want in every detail, I have found ordering the previous fall dealers appear more willing to negotiate on price.

There have been some great deals out there on used recently its just a matter of finding one that fits your wants/needs.

When buying new I think the longer you hold onto the boat the lower the cost of ownership ends up being (assuming it is well cared for of course).

Really don't think there is a huge difference in either scenario in terms of overall cost other then purchasing new eliminates repair costs for the first five years.

Looking for a Ski or Wake boat?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 3:43pm
Buying new does have it's benifets. The 5 year warranty is peice of mind. I have used my warranty for little odds and ends that some might overlook. It also alllows you to order the boat with every little detail you want(there are alot). With the market the way it is though, I would think one could find a "near perfect" used boat that's still under warranty and save alot of money.

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 4:36pm
I have been looking at Super Air Nautiques.

I'm not real picky. As long as it is made by Correct Craft it would probably be good enough for me. I would like a v-drive with a factory ballast system and tower so that would be the basis of a Super Air vs a Super Sport and an open bow is a must for me.

So I guess it comes down to spend $25 - $30 on a 2000 - 2005 model vs $90 on a new model.

Basically I have the Martinique and a couple of Sea-Doos I could sell that would be worth about $12,500 which is mid 90's Sport Nautique range. As I do not have an additional $20 - $80k just sitting in the bank I would be looking at financing.

So the options would be Sport Nautique (no v-drive) no financing required. Used SAN financing harder to come by for a 10 year old boat, or new SAN dealer financing available (?).

Or (Please don't shoot) lower end manufacturer more wallet friendly new boat.

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 4:40pm
It seems like V-Drive open bows are becoming more and more the norm. You should probably have a lot of options out there both new and used.

Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 4:47pm
Kell (AllianceLBJ) has bought his third new Super Air in two years and could prob lend some advice, I'm sure he'll chime in in a bit. Financing options are limitless given descent credit. Better deals are made at the end of year, alot of dealers do not want to pay storage / winterizing on a boat over the off season and want to move inventory.

-------------

Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 5:42pm
Are there any leasing options? I mean let's say I wanted a new boat every 3 years? Do I just finance it for 3 years and then get trade in value and take the hit?

-------------

Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 6:38pm
Not that I'm aware of.

-------------

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 8:50pm
my brother in law bought a new a new malibu in i think 05or 06? in 2 yrs they did a major motor repair . If i remember right a head and tranny was out and repaired or replaced twice in the first two summers. thank god for the new warranty. oh and they ended up gving him the price he had paid 3 yrs earlier in trade for a 08. sounds like it was a lemon....

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: March-31-2011 at 10:33pm
Like CQ said depends on alot of things. I will say that when i bought mine (late 05) i got a great deal because we were heading into winter and the boat was about to become a holdover. I could have bought the same boat, used with less equipment, a year older, for $2k less( same dealer) Didnt make alot of sense to me. Alot has changed since then though.
If i sold that boat today, for half what i paid for it ( no JoeinNY, thats not an offer ) i would look at it more as money well spent for the memories vs money lost on a toy. Its all about your outlook on cost of enjoyment. If you dont feel financially comfortable buying new than look for a well cared for used one. Chances a you'll have no issues with it if you do your homework. I'm glad i bought when i did because things have changed for me and there is no way i could go out and buy a new wakeboat now. That 05 was probably the last new one for me. Sorry about the grammar, this Ipad can be a pita to type with. Good luck in your search.

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

Are there any leasing options? I mean let's say I wanted a new boat every 3 years? Do I just finance it for 3 years and then get trade in value and take the hit?

Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Not that I'm aware of.

You know, there might be, but I'm not sure if they apply to the general public. Two summers ago I taught wakeboarding/waterskiing and we had a Malibu iRide. Plus two non-inboard beaters. The camp director was pretty tight lipped about financial details, but the rumor was the Malibu was on a lease.

Camps put a lot of use on a boat in a short time. And, they can't have throngs of disappointed campers waiting on the dock while a boat gets repaired, so they need to be constantly running a new one.

I think Malibu let them do this largely because it gets the boat out there. Sometimes some of the kids parents will turn around and buy a Malibu, because their kid loved the boat and wakeboarding so much at camp.

Also, the camp may overpay a bit in the long run for the privilege of constant brand new-ness. It's on the camp to not damage the boat, then all the dealer has to do is do a service, and vacuum out the buckets of sand, and they can sell it as a regular used boat.

Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I'm glad i bought when i did because things have changed for me and there is no way i could go out and buy a new wakeboat now.
Mike

Mike,

Good points. My business partner and my father have both told me that if I am going to buy one to do it before I start a family or else it will never happen.

The major concerns I would have would be holding that type of debt when trying to purchase a house. Would this be considered negative debt that would look bad on a Home Loan App? My assumption would be with 10-15% down in equity it wouldn't look all that bad.

The other issue I have is that I hate financing vehicles / toys. My truck and my education are the only things I have ever financed in my life and the truck will be paid off in 6 months. So the decision will be do I swap a truck payment for a boat payment in 6 months or do I hold out for a year and put what would have been my truck payment into my boat fund?

-------------

Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 12:56pm
Brian,

Interesting. I think a lease would be the way I would want to go with it if at all possible. 3 years seems to be my attention span on just about anything.

-------------

Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 1:07pm
Just before I bought my boat, I posed the question of whether having a boat and motorcycle were too many toys and got a lot of cool responses:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16552 - Boat and Motorcycle too Much?

I decided the sell the motorcycle to avoid having boat payments and I'm really glad I did. I used the boat more in one summer than I had used the Harley in the last four summers.

It's nice too not have the boat payment with the other basic expenses gas etc. that come with boating.

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 1:15pm
Oh man, not to sound preachy but seriously re-think that boat vs. house thing. You have to think of a house as an investment, especially with housing prices down right now.

Now I am sure there a lot more financially savy people on this site then me, but this is the way I look at it. You have to pay rent - so if you consider that money a sunk cost. On our first house, we put $10k into it (1994 - wow that seems like a long time ago)as a down payment. We paid mortgage and mortgage insurance for 3 years at which point the house had increased in value enough that we no longer had to pay mortgage insurance. Five years after that we sold the house (under market value) for $70k more then what we bought it. Thats a pretty good return on a $10k investment over 8 years. Now in the 8 years since we bought this house the market has remained flat and our house may be worth even a little less but I have been able to deduct the interest on the loan and the property taxes on my federal and state income tax. So I look at it as I get some of my "rent" (mortgage payment) back.

Again can't comment on what a boat loan would do to your credit score or your debt to income ratios, but I think getting into a home (even a townhouse or condo...) should be very near to the top of the priority list. Again, I apologize if this comes off preachy...

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 1:19pm
Oh, that boat with a family thing. Also not necessarily true, it just comes down to priorities. I had that boat dream for a LONG, LONG time. We finally were able to make it come true 2 or so years ago, that's with 3 kids, then at perfect ages for skiing, 6, 9 & 11.

Thinking back during the baby years, if we had owned a boat, the opportunities to use it would have been few and far in between, would have spent a lot of time sitting in the garage.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I'm glad i bought when i did because things have changed for me and there is no way i could go out and buy a new wakeboat now.
Mike

Mike,

Good points. My business partner and my father have both told me that if I am going to buy one to do it before I start a family or else it will never happen.

The major concerns I would have would be holding that type of debt when trying to purchase a house. Would this be considered negative debt that would look bad on a Home Loan App? My assumption would be with 10-15% down in equity it wouldn't look all that bad.

The other issue I have is that I hate financing vehicles / toys. My truck and my education are the only things I have ever financed in my life and the truck will be paid off in 6 months. So the decision will be do I swap a truck payment for a boat payment in 6 months or do I hold out for a year and put what would have been my truck payment into my boat fund?

A credit line payment(boat) and a morg. payment are different and both benifet your credit. So do revolving credit lines when payed off timely like major credit cards or large retail cards. You could actually see your credit improve.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

A credit line payment(boat) and a morg. payment are different and both benifet your credit. So do revolving credit lines when payed off timely like major credit cards or large retail cards. You could actually see your credit improve.

That may be true, but I would also expect one's max borrowing power to be reduced significantly (in the eyes of a lender) if there is a substantial boat payment due every month.

-------------

Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 6:08pm
Agree, everyones credit to debt ratio varies.

-------------

Posted By: AllianceBJJ
Date Posted: April-01-2011 at 7:20pm
Everyone says the depreciation on a new boat will kill you....but 3 SANTEs in 2 1/2 years (1 used, 2 new). Didn't lose a dime on any of them. Just have to buy the right thing. Nautique.

Ask the dealer if he knows of anyone looking to get out of a newer model boat. This is how I got out of my last 2 boats. I told them that I would consider a new one, but only if they could sell my old one first. They found folks that had been looking for what I was wanting to get rid of.

Dealer may have more power over the price of a new boat these days(most used right now on dealer lots are on consignment due to limited credit availability for dealers to floorplan trade ins).

-------------
2013 G23

2012 SANTE 230 - sold

2011 SANTE 230 - Sold

2010 SANTE 210 - sold

2006 SANTE 210 - sold

Date Posted: April-02-2011 at 1:37am

Mike,

I bought my boat after I started a family, so I can't tell you it wont happen if you wait. I also already had a home. In all honesty , I dont feel that having a boat payment would hinder your ability to get a home loan as long as your credit scores and debt to income is in line. If you are responsible and the bank can see that you should be ok. You just have to ask yourself if it is something worth risking. How far off in the future could a home be etc. If your thinking a year or two, it may be wise to start with a lower budget and upgrade after the home. There can be alot of hidden expense when owning property . It wouldnt be much fun to buy a new boat, only to have to sell it in a year because you need to buy a home or maintain a home and can no longer afford the boat. Its always more fun to upgrade than downgrade.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: April-02-2011 at 10:07am
disposable income?     to compare apples to apples, if you finance a 90k boat over the term, you'll end up out of pocket at about 115k, fck the warranty, if you purchase that same boat used at 50k, and out of pocket 60k or so the difference is roughly 55k....consider the value lost as you walk out the door on new...let someone else take that 50k hit.
now were talking 50 thousand dollars difference, you can purchase a rider insurance policy to cover any type of repair with that 50k, sht, 50k will buy you 5 engine swaps, 4000 tanks of gas, 10000 cases of beer, a Denalli to pull that pig...actually you could buy a back up boat if that one breaks.
put it on paper, I know new is nice, but...........

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: April-03-2011 at 8:02pm
I'm with Eric on this one. The amazing value of used boats/cars/bikes/etc. is a pretty compelling argument. You mentioned mid '90's Sport Nautiques. Go late '90's, GT-40 in great condition, high teens is considered a bit high priced. Buy a boat like that, you'll easily run it for 5 years with reasonable maintenance, maybe spend another $4,000 on it. A new boat may not owe you anything if you trade it for another new boat, but you spent the 90 grand no matter how you do the math.

My opinion is save the borrowing power for the house, get a great value on a used boat.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: April-04-2011 at 9:30am
I will revise the 2 happiest days of a boat owner, the day the bank says yes, and the day you get rid of the payment, remember you will probably have to go on a 10 year note, and last time i checked boating season is roughly about 6 months long.......and the payments keep coming every month, plus full coverage insurance

-------------

Date Posted: April-04-2011 at 1:16pm
All thanks for the discussion and input. I hadn't given much thought to the idea that I wouldn't be using the boat that much once I do decide to start a family. That is probably in the cards for the next 10 years and a 10 year note on a boat when there is a large likely hood that I wouldn't use the boat for 3-5 of those ten years doesn't add up. Looks like I should consider purchasing new in about 2020 provided the world doesn't end in 2012. For now I am going to focus on paying for an open bow v-drive in cash.

Thanks again,
Rob

-------------

Posted By: crobi2
Date Posted: April-05-2011 at 8:08pm
I'm not so sure about the family thing. My oldest was in the boat at 6 months of age (only because the engine wasn't in it until then) and my next kid was in the boat at 6 weeks of age. It was tons of fun and incredibly great memories. In fact, thank you for making me remember!

Date Posted: April-05-2011 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by crobi2 crobi2 wrote:

I'm not so sure about the family thing. My oldest was in the boat at 6 months of age (only because the engine wasn't in it until then) and my next kid was in the boat at 6 weeks of age. It was tons of fun and incredibly great memories. In fact, thank you for making me remember!

You must have a cool wife. My buddy's wife freaked out about it being to much time in the sun etc..

-------------

Date Posted: April-06-2011 at 9:52am
i would bet the banks want a full 20% down nowadays

-------------

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: April-06-2011 at 10:51am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

disposable income?     to compare apples to apples, if you finance a 90k boat over the term, you'll end up out of pocket at about 115k, fck the warranty, if you purchase that same boat used at 50k, and out of pocket 60k or so the difference is roughly 55k....consider the value lost as you walk out the door on new...let someone else take that 50k hit.
now were talking 50 thousand dollars difference, you can purchase a rider insurance policy to cover any type of repair with that 50k, sht, 50k will buy you 5 engine swaps, 4000 tanks of gas, 10000 cases of beer, a Denalli to pull that pig...actually you could buy a back up boat if that one breaks.
put it on paper, I know new is nice, but...........

I know this is such a personal question and many people finance these 90k+ boats, but I couldn't agree more with Eric's logic. I suspect many of the folks buying these boats have the power to stroke a check for them. Sorry to all of the dealers on this thread, but there's no way I would sink that kind of money into a new boat, car, motor home or anything else that will lose value as soon as I'm done signing my name. Money is kind of hard to get, so use it to get the most value you can and save it when you get a chance. I'm a big fan of having fun with it though!

-------------

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: April-06-2011 at 11:30am
10,000 cases of beer .. screw the boat

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: Lauderdale Lakes
Date Posted: April-06-2011 at 11:56am

i would bet the banks want a full 20% down nowadays

10% on a new boat financed out 15 years.

-------------
"We can't change the wind, but we can adjust our sails"

Date Posted: April-06-2011 at 2:58pm
@Robert

Yes, she even drives for me!!!!

When the kids are little bitty you've got to keep dumping water on them and have an electric fan to keep them cool and have some way to keep them in the shade. But before you know it they're out there riding!!

We kind of got our first boat with the idea of having our family on it together for as long as we can do it. The oldest now brings a couple of his friends on - I like it because it keeps them around our influence instead of somewhere else.

By the way, I am a firm supporter of buying a used boat for cash unless you can buy a new boat for cash. The used ones are good because you usually have to tear into them to fix tons of little things and learn how to change all of the fluids, impeller, alignment, electronics and stuff that helps you understand how it all works and will help you when she finally does break down on you. All of the work also helps to make her yours.

Finally, if having trouble pushing the button, consider that none of us are getting any younger....

Date Posted: April-06-2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by crobi2 crobi2 wrote:

Yes, she even drives for me!!!!

Wow you must really love and trust your wife.

I'm in the process of turning my girlfriend into a "Water" person.

Hopefully one day purchasing a new SAN for cash will be a possibility. Definitely not this season though.

I guess part of this thread is just to be curious as to how many people actually buy a new Inboard each year. My other thread about the thesis would suggest around 10,000 or so are sold each year, 1500 of which are CC.

-------------

Date Posted: April-06-2011 at 4:51pm
Robert,

Always puzzling to me talk of family/kids and boats don't mix, it has been the exact opposite for me on both sides of that equation. When the kids are really young and not really able to wear a floatation device obviously greater care needs to be taken however once they can wear a PFD it's all good, even better when they are able to swim. As far as the sun, a good bimini and no worries there.

Despite what some of these guys are saying buying new does not need to cost you big money or much more then used, you need to get into the boat at a good number and keep it nice. I certainly agree that financing a toy is never a good idea and if you do go with at least 50% down and on the shortest terms you can handle, that way if you need to get out fast you can without owing and the short terms will cost you so much less in the end.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: April-06-2011 at 4:56pm
Thanks to everyone for the wisdom. Truly I just need to plan a year or two for this purchase and then make it happen. If I can just keep from scratching the itch until it makes financial since for me I'll be alright

There is still the side of me that says $100k could buy a lot of cool classic CC's as well.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:05am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Always puzzling to me talk of family/kids and boats don't mix, it has been the exact opposite for me on both sides of that equation.

Chris - I think I kind of started that, and you know me, now it is one of our biggest family events - a day on the boat. I was just thinking back to the the years when my girls were being born. Those first nine months were brutal, no sleep, constant feeding, diaper changes, etc. Then there would be about a 6 months window, and the wife would be pregnant, sick all the time to tired to deal with the baby. Then the next little one would come along and it would start all over again.

Looking back, I just don't see a lot of time that we would have had to use the boat. NOW, we have so much fun with the boat as a family. Nothing better then seeing your kids hit there goals skiing, or just jumping off the platform splashing and having fun. Wouldn't trade that time or the girls for the world!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:46am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

NOW, we have so much fun with the boat as a family. Nothing better then seeing your kids hit there goals skiing, or just jumping off the platform splashing and having fun. Wouldn't trade that time or the girls for the world!

I'll second that Steve!

My first boat was a Procraft Fish N Ski but one of the first things I did was by a bimini for it as I wanted Sun protection for my little ones. Both girls were in the boat as soon as they could wear an infant jacket.

UPGRADED to a 88 SN in 2001 and now its 15 and 12 years later and they both swim like fishes and wakeboard, kneeboard all summer long. They too love to stop, toss out the anchor and they too love jumping off the platform and enjoy haing a picnic lunch on the boat.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that boats aren't infant friendly or it's a bad idea. It truly is a wonderful family experience that create so many great memories.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 9:11am
+1 as Tim said great family memories that they and you will remember forever.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:12pm
Just buy the darn boat... No good time, no bad time, and if you think to much, you'll never pull the trigger.. Life is way to short.. Just do it. Sell the damn thing if you have to. Only "one" thing "you" have to be married to...

Had my kids in a boat right after coming out of the oven.. They will die to sit in the bow of any boat, ski and swim anytime. Putting up with the hassles at the ramp, crappy weather, 3 month summers, payments.. blah blah. Best thing in the world.

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:24pm
Nothing puts a baby to sleep faster than a boat ride. They may hate the infant life jacket, but they're out for the count once you get going. There may be a few tough years where you don't get out as much as you like, but after that your kids will want to live in an inboard.

I've bought one new boat and would do it again. Payments in the winter remind you of what's in store for summer. I'd rather have a boat payment than a car payment. My kids are mostly grown up and they still like to be with their parents in the boat, and they don't even need us to go boating. One of the best things a young family can do.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:27pm
Keep in mind it's not like Robert doesn't have a boat, he's got the Martinique. But, I agree if you have the bug to move to a newer boat more suited for you use, do it NOW, don't wait.

It's the little stuff with kids and boats that can be so much fun. A few times last summer my 2 younger kids, 7 and 12 then, asked if we could have lunch on the boat (we're sitting in the yard at the time). We headed to the public dock, walked to the store and bought a few slices of pizza and drinks, headed out on the lake, stopped and drifted. We had lunch, they sat on the platform for a while, just a great time doing almost nothing, time with the kids. You can't beat it, it's pretty close to my favorite thing to do in the world.

-------------

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:44pm
I have changed diapers on a boat many, many times. I'm glad that's over though. My daughters have been behind the boat since they were 3 and 1.5 years old. I'm not suggesting you buy a new boat, just saying don't let the idea of having kids prevent you from getting on the water.

They have to be changed, fed and nap anyway. They might as well do it sitting on the lake.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Posted By: mdvalant
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:45pm
^^^^^ That looks a lot like a Malibu.........................

I came home on weekends while at college to be on the river with my fam. That has to say something!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5009 - '90 Ski (sold)
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5479 - '00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:48pm
it is a malibu

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:49pm
I know, I was just playin!

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Despite what some of these guys are saying buying new does not need to cost you big money or much more then used, you need to get into the boat at a good number and keep it nice. I certainly agree that financing a toy is never a good idea and if you do go with at least 50% down and on the shortest terms you can handle, that way if you need to get out fast you can without owing and the short terms will cost you so much less in the end.

I'm not at all against buying new CC's, after all someone has to buy them the first time!

Here's what I see, let me know if you disagree. Let's take the example of buying a new CC for $70,000, or a used 10 year old boat for $20,000.

New - pay $70,000 or pay $8,000 and finance the rest, or something inbetween. Run boat for 10 years, at that point value for sale or trade is $28,000. Assume nothing beyond routine maintenance is needed. Total cost of ownership after sale is $42,000. (I'm not including interest if boat is financed, which would add to the total).

Used - pay $20,000, run boat for 10 years, at that point value for sale or trade is $8,000. Assume maintenance cost, beyond routine maintenance, of $6,000 over those 10 years. Total cost of ownership after sale is $18,000.

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here, and the numbers are a guess but seem to me to make sense. One big factor I'm ignoring is that maybe the new boat is a much better boat for the purpose, depends on the models we're talking about and intended use.

Thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 1:50pm
My two brothers and I both love the boat. Their wife and wife-to-be, respectively both love the boat. My gf claims she likes boats, waitin' to see this summer. My nephew will be 1 1/2 this summer; old enough to know what's going on. Can't wait to see how he likes it.

Already have the Sport Nautique seed planted in my brain.

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

New - pay $70,000 or pay $8,000 and finance the rest, or something inbetween. Run boat for 10 years, at that point value for sale or trade is $28,000. Assume nothing beyond routine maintenance is needed. Total cost of ownership after sale is $42,000. (I'm not including interest if boat is financed, which would add to the total).

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here, and the numbers are a guess but seem to me to make sense. One big factor I'm ignoring is that maybe the new boat is a much better boat for the purpose, depends on the models we're talking about and intended use.

Thoughts?

Again it really depends on what you are buying, in Roberts case a V-Drive. As an example in 01' a Super Air well appointed on a decent buy would have been around 40k, take a look in the diary's and see what the average asking price is for that same boat, my guess would be probably 25-30k range. The current market has the V's fetching more money, may not be the case in 10 yrs but whose to know.

Totally agree with the newer boats performing better for their intended purpose, assuming that purpose is primarily for towed water sports, that value is whatever the buyer sets it at, for me that has always been a significant factor in my buying decisions as my use is probably 90% towing.

Don't get me wrong, used can be an great approach $ wise, my first boat, 77' SN, sold for $1.5k more then purchase price after 6-7 seasons.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:23pm
As far as towing wise, I am not going to become a professional wakeboarder, so the newest hull design etc may not be that much of a concern. V-Drive, built-in ballast, FCT, and Perfect Pass would be nice features to have that I do not currently have on the Martinique.

The main reason for consideration of purchase of a new boat is that the bank I talked to said they won't finance a boat older than 5 years old.

The best case would be like I did with my truck, 1 year old 10,000 miles. If I could find a boat in that type of scenario it may be worth looking into as opposed to purchasing a Sport Nautique this year and then trying to sell it next year and getting a Super Sport and selling that the next year and getting into a SAN the next year...

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:29pm
Family wise I agree a boat is great just not sure about the infants. My nephew just turned 7 which is the perfect boating age. Up until age 5 he seemed to have little inerest in the boat, but then again I didn't get to see him every weekend.

When I was in college I met a lot of guys from the lakes around my house and I remember great lake parties and summers were we would do a lakes tour where we would rotate houses/boats each weekend and wakeboard all day. Quite possibly the most fun a person can have.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:38pm
http://www.n3boatworks.com/pre_owned_list.asp - N3 Boatworks Pre Owned

Maybe I should just take the Martinique up to Mark at N3 Boatworks and see if I can get any trade in or consignment. They have a Martinique similiar to mine in hours and condition listed at $8900. There are a couple of Air Nautiques listed in their pre-owned inventory that would fit the 5-year old rule the bank told me. Anyone see any disadvantages to this approach?
Any reason to buy new as opposed semi-used?

With Lauderdale Lakes moving to Chicago, I would be willing to drive the 3 hours to check out their inventory as well.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:42pm

The best case would be like I did with my truck, 1 year old 10,000 miles. If I could find a boat in that type of scenario it may be worth looking into as opposed to purchasing a Sport Nautique this year and then trying to sell it next year and getting a Super Sport and selling that the next year and getting into a SAN the next year...

Robert, I'd go visit the CC dealer closest to you. Tell him exactly what you wrote above. You might find out he has a leftover 2010 he'd love to move, or an owner that wants to upgrade after a year or two. You never know what he might come up with for you.

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:04pm
Back to the whole family and boating theme. Here is my favorite video of all time. I know its been posted a couple times before, but there are always new folks here and I continue to be a doting parent. Boating and family....doesn't get any better. The only sad thing is the little girl graduates college in a month and the little boy is 6'3" tall and graduating from High school in s couple months. Where did the time go? At least I made the time when I did and have the memories.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:06pm
http://www.lauderdalelakesmarina.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=01740076X4K7K2011J11I03I16JAMQ5874R0&veh=1895675 - 2003 SAN 210

Something like this might be ideal. Any reason to go for new over this? I like the color scheme and it has the Flight Control Tower, and Ballast, I could always have perfect pass installed.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:08pm

http://www.lauderdalelakesmarina.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=01740076X4K7K2011J11I03I16JAMQ5874R0&veh=1895675 - 2003 SAN 210

Something like this might be ideal. Any reason to go for new over this? I like the color scheme and it has the Flight Control Tower, and Ballast, I could always have perfect pass installed.

I'd be careful with that one. I have seen it online for quite some time. Looks like it may have been a salty boat? kinda dirty on the inside, looks like some bottoms have been recovered? I dunno...if you were thinking new, this would definitely be a downgrade. IMO

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:01pm
They told me that one just sold. I kind of like the idea of keeping the Martinique for this season and making a purchase towards the end of the season. Not sure how that would play out but it can't hurt and it will give me a chance to save up a little more for a down payment.

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I'd be careful with that one. I have seen it online for quite some time. Looks like it may have been a salty boat? kinda dirty on the inside, looks like some bottoms have been recovered? I dunno...if you were thinking new, this would definitely be a downgrade. IMO

Salt...in WI?!

I'd be more worried about the snap on cover.   

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:09pm
Bro look at the hull the things nasty! I didn't even look at where the boat was from, just looked like it needed work that i wouldn't want to waste time on with that new of a ride.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:19pm
It might be reflections in the gel playing tricks on you... it looks pretty darn clean to me. In the other pictures, clearly it needs a wash- dark gel can be tough to keep clean. I have to agree about the snaps though!

Even if it werent perfect, it is 8 years old.

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Just buy the darn boat... No good time, no bad time, and if you think to much, you'll never pull the trigger.. Life is way to short.. Just do it. Sell the damn thing if you have to. Only "one" thing "you" have to be married to...

Had my kids in a boat right after coming out of the oven.. They will die to sit in the bow of any boat, ski and swim anytime. Putting up with the hassles at the ramp, crappy weather, 3 month summers, payments.. blah blah. Best thing in the world.

Moj'

+1, well put.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 7:20pm
Just thought I would throw this out there. Anybody know anything about Centurion? That is the dealer that is on Morse Reservoir.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 9:48pm
One of my friends on our lake has one. Older one. I think its an 04 Lightning - V drive. It is pretty sensitive to weight placement and the wake is kind of bland, but it works. They surf very well. Not familiar with the newer ones but he has his serviced evry year in the spring and does absolutely nothing to it except put gas it all summer. No maintanance aside from Spring , doesnt even check the oil. He probably burns $200 a weekend in gas, bought the boat brand new as a leftover in 05 for $32k and it has never let him down. Not sure of the hours but it gets alot of use. It has ballast, a tower, handles rough water pretty well, but is no where near the quality of my CC . And even he will openly admit it. Thats all I got......

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: April-07-2011 at 10:23pm
75 Tique - Quite the tear-jerker video there - Just what I needed to remind myself why I tune into a ski boat website all winter long.

Robert - Boats are irrational. Don't spend any money on them unless you want some pretty cool memories down the road . . .

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:31am
Those are actually my kids. Larry cut and pasted them into his video.

Seriously, I hadn't seen it before, that's really a wonderful statement about why we all love boats. I really enjoyed it!

-------------

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:06am
Larry's video is great...that is what it is all about!
I did not buy my first boat until four years ago. Always wanted a Correct Craft. Would not settle for anything less. Wish I could have done it sooner.
But we sure have been making up for lost time. It is truly the best family time. Go for it!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:24am
This is my favorite picture from last summer with the boat. It's my brother and nephew:

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:32am
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Larry's video is great...that is what it is all about!

Yep. My wife just came over to the computer and watched it with me. Come on summer!

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 11:56am
Great video Larry. It ought to be added to the video section. Do you ever miss that Supra?

I've only bought one nice boat, but many trucks and whether I buy new or used always comes down to price difference. Looking at 5 year old or less SN 196's, it seems like the asking prices have increased substantially from 1-2 years ago. There's been some unbelievable deals during the past 2 years, but I don't see any right now. Anyone else see that?

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 11:58am
You can't begin to appreciate that video Larry unless you've had kids and raised them on the water.. Great fun watching that...

Remember, they have the same memories as you. Like I've said before, nothing better....

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Great video Larry. It ought to be added to the video section. Do you ever miss that Supra?

Thanks Bruce. Yeah, sometimes. Space and slalom wake, but thats about it. I like the vintage boat, the portability, the in-garage storage and that it has less to worry about/take care of/maintain. If and when the day comes that portability is not such an issue, a bigger boat might be nice.(2001 or TSC1)

Just a footnote on the video. Don't know if you guys caught it or not, but that is Kristi Overton skiing and signing the shirt on my daughter's back. Many other women champions there that day that signed as well. Big deal for a 10-11 year old girl. (OK, I thought it was cool, too)

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:24pm
+4 on the video. That was really cool.

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:40pm

I've only bought one nice boat, but many trucks and whether I buy new or used always comes down to price difference. Looking at 5 year old or less SN 196's, it seems like the asking prices have increased substantially from 1-2 years ago. There's been some unbelievable deals during the past 2 years, but I don't see any right now. Anyone else see that?

MacCallum's has a couple pretty sweet 196s, at what I would consider a pretty good price coming from a dealer.

But yeah, I'd agree that in general, not one seems to be giving them away. The bad economy isn't that bad I guess.

http://www.maccallumsboathouse.com/Preowned_Detail.cfm?ID=907 - 2002 196 GT40 Blue

http://www.maccallumsboathouse.com/Preowned_Detail.cfm?ID=889 - 2004 196 Excal 330 Yellow

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:45pm
The only negative feedback I have heard about the SAN is that the seating seems to be low in the boat compared to other manufacturer models. Has anyone noticed this?

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Looking at 5 year old or less SN 196's, it seems like the asking prices have increased substantially from 1-2 years ago. There's been some unbelievable deals during the past 2 years, but I don't see any right now. Anyone else see that?

MacCallum's has a couple pretty sweet 196s, at what I would consider a pretty good price coming from a dealer.

But yeah, I'd agree that in general, not one seems to be giving them away. The bad economy isn't that bad I guess.

I think the resurgance of 196 values has more to do with the introduction of the 200 than it does with the state of the economy. The high cost of entry, as well as the additional size and features that dont add value to a course/club skier (open bow, etc) seems to have made the TSC2 and TSC3 hulls hold (and sometimes increase) in value over the last year or so. At least that seems to be the consensus on PN.

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:00pm
They seemed to have come up into the 30's from the 20's 1-2 years ago. Comments I've heard is that competitive skiers like the 200 much better. Wonder if that's really true.

Rob, I know 05210's 05 210 has a lot of fans that love that boat. I think there's a line forming to buy it if that tells you anything. That is probably aperfect boat to buy as far as cost/value goes, if you can find one.

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:10pm

They seemed to have come up into the 30's from the 20's 1-2 years ago. Comments I've heard is that competitive skiers like the 200 much better. Wonder if that's really true.

It seems most agree that the 200's wake is incrementally better than the 196. All of the other aspects of the boat seem to have a very polarizing effect on people. Its a bigger, heavier, slower, more expensive boat. Anyone who doesnt need the extra storage or open bow and doesnt mind the very small wake penalty might be inclined to flock to a late model 196 instead of making the leap to a new 200. Im guessing thats exactly whats driving up the 196 values at the moment.

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

http://www.maccallumsboathouse.com/Preowned_Detail.cfm?ID=907 - 2002 196 GT40 Blue

That '02 196 at MacCallum's is tempting for me, but I'm looking for an open bow so I'm trying to ignore it! I love dealing with Peter and his staff so I'd pay a bit more to buy a boat there.

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 2:37pm

The only negative feedback I have heard about the SAN is that the seating seems to be low in the boat compared to other manufacturer models. Has anyone noticed this?

Robert,
Perhaps you can tell us "why" you are looking at a SAN? Are you a true wakeboarder/surfer etc? Do you slalom ski?, pull tubes for the kids, what really?

I feel you are looking at this type boat for reasons you arent really sure of? Please don't get me wrong, we are certainly here to help, but if you are considering free board and seat height, and not because it's the premier killer wake first, you are heading down a dissapointing trail here, especially if you are financing the boat...

There are plenty of guys on here that will sing the praises of the SAN, new or old, but it's because of the wake spread, ramp and functions inside the boat that get you there... You are coming out od a "BIG" deep water type hulled boat. Deep seating, lots of room, smooth ride and cheap investment. Looking at a SAN you are going to sacrafice a lot of that for sure....

First, the slalom wake is a brick, many consider it a "wet" boat with it's lower freeboard. Storage will be better than your Martinique, but the ride wont be.... I chose to find a SV211 to give me more of the overall crossover in activities, room and ride... I couldn't be happier.... Eventhough it's the same length, It's dryer, smoother, and more family oriented..

Again, some will disagree with my accessment, but you may want to prioritize all of what you want in the boat, because with the SAN, you may not get exactly what you're looking for..... IMO.... You want deep seats, better off looking at a 230 !!! I mean if you are looking at throwing down the big bucks, or looking to finace for 20 years, I think you need some more time and ask yourself really "what" too buy... Sure, the Byerly special looks cool, but......

Now that you are completely confused, hope that helped Ha.. If

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:02pm
Moj'

I will be the first to admit that one of the reasons for looking at a SAN is the Wow factor it brings. 90% of my time on the boat is spent wakeboarding with a small crew of other wakeboarders or with my parents and nephew in the boat while I wakeboard. The majority of the people that would use the boat would be wakeboarding almost 90% of the time. I would like something that my nephew could tube behind but he is 7 and will probably be wakeboarding soon enough.

The comment about the seats being low is one that I read for a comparison between the SAN and Malibu Wakesetter. I've been aboard a Wakesetter and towed behind one. There was a big difference between that and the Martinique. I would love to stay with CC and move into a Wakeboarding boat.

I should also mention that I wakeskate and would like to get a boat that can support Wake Surfing.

I started out with outboards and I/0's that just didn't cut it for what I wanted to do wakeboarding wise. I then got my first inboard a Ski Supreme which was a step in the right direction but not exactly what I was looking for. I moved to the Martinique due to the open bow and somewhat regret moving from a Competition boat to a family cruiser. Now when I wakeboard it is either behind the Malibu or a SN 2001.

Of course the concerns for the SAN are the wake and the ballast etc. The V-Drive not only makes for a better wake but also provides an openness to the boat you don't get from the direct drives.

As far as a family boat that is what my Dad's boat is for. We may actually end up trading his in and keeping the Martinique for the family while getting a competition style boat for the wakeboard enthusiasts.

Sorry for the long post. I guess the summation is that I will have the competion / board sports boat and my Dad will have the family friendly boat.

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:51pm
Moj,

I just saw an SV211 on CL. This may be adequate for my needs, maybe I am not all that familiar with the differences between the SAN and SV?

-------------

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 6:28pm
Rob, here are two that Matt has at Race City Marine down here in NC that might be of interest as they're along the lines of which you're looking.

http://racecitymarine.com/index.php?option=com_annonces&view=annonce&id=1&Itemid=12 - 236 for sale

http://racecitymarine.com/index.php?option=com_annonces&view=annonce&id=2&Itemid=12 - 211 for sale

Oh, and I forgot to add to Eric, JMurph and a few others: Quit trying to kill all the new boat sales However, I do understand completely as certainly I've traditionally been a used boat guy. But maybe a compromise of sorts for Rob might be the all-new 200 Sport. It's a V-drive, open bow with lots of room for the family, can pull wake boarders and surfers AND slalom like nobody's business, and can be bought for $70K NEW. And did I mention it handles like a sports car.

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 7:13pm
Robert,
Ok now we're getting somewhere... If it's a "dedicated", "wakeboard", Surf/skate" boat you're looking for, then the SAN is top of the line.. Forget that Malibu talk.. How can you park that thing next to the Martinique???

If you want a better "all in one" boat, that will still give you a great, surfable wake, and yet is more comfortable and seemingly bigger size (eventhough it's I believe it's only wider and taller), then the 211 is a great alternative...

Tubing makes no difference, but if you want to also slalom at some point, the SAN is butal....

The 211 that Reid is showing is perfect IMO.. I think Race City will even deliver it to Green Lake for Free

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 7:48pm
Wow, two days ago I was gonna apologize to you Robert for the newbie mistake of pulling your thread off topic by talking about babies and kids on board. Then your thread took off on that topic and lots of other interesting stuff too in addition to your main idea.

I discovered the 210 SAN/SSN hull in 2003 and have wanted it ever since. I have ridden behind a few different boats '02 VLX (4000#), '01 Malibu Sportster (4000# - talk about a wet boat!), old X-star (now 205v), Supra SSV and direct drives, '04 MB B52, and while they are all great for wakeboarding, everyone considered the SAN hull (1995-2006) to be the best wakeboarding hull. I've never had any experience with the new X-star hull so I don't know about it.

Anyway, we had a '77 SEA RAY 21' that I had bought for $150 and salvaged it from death. We rode behind that thing for 10 YEARS until I finally nailed a 2000 SAN right before Christmas this year. It took me that long to save for it, but I wasn't about the get anything else just to get in a better boat. (People would probably be amazed at how good of a wake you can get out of some sterndrives if you try hard enough LOL).

Anyway, compared to the SEARAY, the SAN is more of a "wet" boat. Running 2500# of ballast and three people in the front it's near impossible to keep the bow dry when a similarly loaded wakeboat goes by and you're not on plane.

So I just searched for a Super Sport or Super Air hull from 1995 - 2006 that I could afford and got lucky to find this one. I was thrilled to find out how much torque that GT40 produces!

I am also interested to hear what someone knowledgeable has to say about the '05 SV211 vs old 210 vs new 210 hulls.

Posted By: drtybrdy9
Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:07pm
Rob,
Hang in there. If you have the time and patience to wait, you can find great deals out there. I was look for a couple seasons before we could find one in our price range. I searched craigslist for about a 500 mile range of where i live. Finally last fall we pulled the trigger, we got our 05 210 for 28k or 29k can't remember. Granted there were a few bugs to work out, heater, shower, stereo issues but those were minor fixes and to be honest I never use heaters or showers in boats anyways. Also, spring is not the best time to be looking for deals as a buyer.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5402&sort=&pagenum=1 - 05 SAN Limited 210

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by drtybrdy9 drtybrdy9 wrote:

Rob,
Hang in there. If you have the time and patience to wait, you can find great deals out there. I was look for a couple seasons before we could find one in our price range. I searched craigslist for about a 500 mile range of where i live. Finally last fall we pulled the trigger, we got our 05 210 for 28k or 29k can't remember. Granted there were a few bugs to work out, heater, shower, stereo issues but those were minor fixes and to be honest I never use heaters or showers in boats anyways. Also, spring is not the best time to be looking for deals as a buyer.

Mason, nice machine.. and I second your opinion about shopping in the Spring,,, well unless cash is no object ha..

Are you going to bring that nice rig to Green Lake this July???

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Are you going to bring that nice rig to Green Lake this July???

Moj'

LOL!!! Moj, you are shameless - I love it. If I ever have my own company you are going to be my first call to head up my marketing department.. I am with you though man, everyone should try to attend GL!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: drtybrdy9
Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:39pm
What are the dates? I probably won't be making it, this summer is going to crazy for me, I'm 27 and I swear everyone i know is getting married. Half my weekends are weddings and the other half are people who are going to be pissed at me for choosing the lake over their weddings. So be it!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5402&sort=&pagenum=1 - 05 SAN Limited 210

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

And did I mention it handles like a sports car.

Reid, you of all people should know......if it's a Correct Craft; they ALL handle like a sports car.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: April-08-2011 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

And did I mention it handles like a sports car.

Reid, you of all people should know......if it's a Correct Craft; they ALL handle like a sports car.

Thanks Tim, and I'm sorry as you're 100% correct. What I meant to say was that it handles just like a new 2012 Boss 302 Mustang! It's on rails! If you could just get that new 444 HP 5.0 in a little Nautique.......

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: Nautique Fan
Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 12:36am
Gotta agree with the SAN or SSN is a great family boat. We love the openness of the boat, all the extra storage. It was a big upgrade over my old 2001 hull. We had 11 people on my Super Sport yesterday! 4 of which were kids, but we all still had a lot of room.

As far as wakes go, wakeboarding wake is incredible, the slalom wake makes the 2001 hull seem great and it is even a little steep. Tubing (i know) we tried it out for the first time yesterday and everyone in the boat had a blast watching the crashes. I had no idea what I was missing as a wakeboard/all around family boat until we bought the Super Sport, we love it!

-------------
1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)

Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 9:42am
sorry Reid, just being the Devils advocate...one worse than being house poor is being boat poor, if someone is in the position to coffer up for new CC, and cover it in cash.....surely they are intelligent enough to make their own decision.
nothing worse than seeing a 70k CC next to a 35k DW

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:08am
Up early Eric? Me too! Whats a DW?

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:17am
double wide, and i dont mean ass...im about to paint some ceilings, thats why im up earlier

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:20am
Thanks for the explanation Michelangelo!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:48am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Michelangelo!

Chris,
Or,

believe it or not, my real first name is Nelson.

Michelangelo Nelson

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 2:04pm
i wouldnt name my enemies that name

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 2:05pm
the things i gotta do to get laid, in between coats

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 2:11pm
So I guess I should just throw a few things out there. My buying time frame is most likely going to be around August / September of this year (That is when I make my final truck payment and also corresponds to when I have my yearly review (hopefully this means a raise as well).)/ August September of next year if I decide to pay in cash. When this time comes I will either use the new disposable income to add to my Financial Investments, purchase another rental property, or purchase a boat. Now this could spin off into many different threads, but the original idea / concept for me is this, Would I enjoy a brand new $100,000 boat more so than a 5-10 year old one?

So lets say we were comparing a 2000 SAN, 2005 SAN, and 2011 SAN. What if any justifications would there be in purchasing any one of these over the other? Would I enjoy a 2011 SAN $75,000 worth more than a 2000 SAN?

"the things you own will start to own you" Eric Lavine's Signature

-------------

Posted By: Nautique Fan
Date Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:36pm
At the end of the day, it will cost you a hell of a lot more than $75,000. By the time you figure interest, length of the loan and the opportunity cost of the extra money you financed that could have been invested and made a return on your money... IMO you would be making a bad financial decision to put that kind of money in a depreciating asset if you don't have the ability to pay cash for it. Let your money work for you, not the other way around.

If you are starting a family soon, you will realize how expensive kids actually are. Between diapers and doctors, you will spend a small fortune. Like Eric said, you don't want a 75k Correct Craft sitting next to a double wide. With the support on this website, the older boats are a good bet.

This is just my opinion, i tend to be a little on the conservative side though. Good luck with whichever way you go.

-------------
1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)

Posted By: sweet77
Date Posted: April-10-2011 at 12:46pm

)/ August September of next year if I decide to pay in cash.

yeah but this guy is paying in $$$$$CASH$$$$$$. talk to REIDP he can hook you up with either a brand new boat or a slightly used boat which is what your original question was if you got 75k laying around im sure your not going to be living in a DW. Im 23ad have a pretty nice house of my own. some days i wish i could trade the house for a DW and head out to the lake

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5528&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t

Print Page | Close Window