Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22390
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 2:23pm

Topic: Water pickup
Posted By: Ewiseman
Subject: Water pickup
Date Posted: July-02-2011 at 10:44pm
Took my 1991 correct craft out today, buy it will not pick up water, nothing appears to be blocked....any one have some suggestions?

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-02-2011 at 10:54pm
Eric,
You need to give us some more info. Have you ever run the engine without water hooked up. This will burn up the rubber RWP impeller in no time.

Are ALL your hose connections tight? A small air leak on the suction side of the RWP will give you problems.

Do you have a RW strainer on the 91. You should have but make sure the cover gasket/O ring is in good shape.

Have you pulled to RWP impeller cover to check the condition of the impeller?

Tell us more and welcome to CCfan. You have found the one and only true site for CC's!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Ewiseman
Date Posted: July-02-2011 at 11:09pm
Thanks Peter
Yes I started the engine for about 30 seconds just to make sure it started.....was that to long?

I have looked at the strained and the impeller

If I put the pickup hose in a five gallon bucked off water will that pick up water or doesmit require more pressure, perhaps I installed the pump backwards?

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: July-03-2011 at 2:36am
The bucket will tell you if is picking up or pushing the wrong direction.   There is a bit of water that stays in he hose between the filter and the raw water pump, but not 30 sec worth. The bucket should give you about a minute just by itself. I forgot to put the cup on my strainer this spring and ran at idle for a couple of minutes before I figured out what was wrong, I got lucky and the impeller survived, but I keep a spare on the boat because I'm sure I shortened it's life even though it passed the bucket test just fine.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-03-2011 at 9:32am
Eric,
Never run the engine without water. You may get lucky with the short run time not damaging the impeller. If you ever have to run the engine (short time) and can't hook up the water, you need to remove the RWP V belt.

The RWP does not require pressure for it to work. The rubber impeller pump is a semi positive displacement and is a great design for suction lift.

Yes, it is possible you installed the pump backwards. Many have!! Do the bucket test and check it.

Welcome to CCfan. Can you make it to GL for the reunion? It's a great time with a fantastic group of people.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window