Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23166
Printed Date: September-25-2024 at 10:16am

Topic: 1969 Mustang H/M engine
Posted By: john b
Subject: 1969 Mustang H/M engine
Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 7:28pm
I have a chance to buy a 69 Mustang with a complete H/M engine (including the sweet looking manifolds) that doesn't and hasn't run for 6 years or more. The boat is a medium blue/white and needs a restoration, complete with stringers most likely. . All of the gauges are in great shape and it has the console and all fittings except the anchor light..
Down side is it is missing the passenger seat and brackets, the drivers seat has the fiberglass frame and brackets, but it is cracked, the fiberglass rear seat is missing, and it would need to be re-finished (paint or gel coat).
It has minimal dock rash but has the usual spider cracking in the usual places.
I am wondering if anyone cares to guess what a complete H/M engine is worth?. Would anyone else consider buying it for parts? I have restored several boats before so I know what a stringers and floor job takes. I am tempted just because I want to rescue it. I read the great thread on the Mustang restoration & stringers on this site.
Any words of wisdom?

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 8:04pm
Sounds like its mostly complete and worth saving. It would be a shame to see a boat like that parted out. Either buy it and restore it or pass it along to another member here to do the same!

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 8:26pm
Yes, grab it and keep us informed (pictures too) about it's condition. I agree with Tim that I'd hate to see it parted out.

The only thing I'd really worry about on the H/M package it the exhaust manifolds themselves. Being aluminum, they are not that robust and rot (white rust) out between the manifold and riser and then you have the "burn through" issue. The burn trough is at the individual exhaust ports where the exhaust takes a right angle turn into the main exhaust cavity. The wall between this cavity and the water jacket burns through.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:17pm
John if you don't grab it your crazy You say it still has it's consol so I'm thinking it's an SS and you know there is only one other on this site with the HM combo You have been looking for a long time and that is one different boat. Somehow you'll be able to find seats and for the back seat, well mine is all wood - easy to duplicate. How about some pictures?? Do you have the serial number? Don't worry about the manifolds,they can be found too. By the way thats one of the reasons I got mine,the PO was told they could be bad and it would be 600 to replace. 21 years later- I'm still running them.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:45pm
The owner would like $2,000 with a trailer. I worry about getting it painted or gel coated. I have done the glass & stringers work before, but I am smart enough to know not to attempt to refining the hull myself. I may look at it again tomorrow.$1,800 and I may go for it. I will try to post some photos after I look at it tomorrow, even if I pass on it. I am worried about getting the parts. It has a wood frame for the rear seat, but it needs to be replaced. I will get the S/N too. The console has a little compartment with a lid, and the gauges are in the dash. It doesn't have the CC plastic bezel around them. It must have been really sweet in that navy blue with white deck when it was new.

Posted By: vondy
Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:07pm
Yeah post some pics and we can tell you for sure what's original and not. My manifolds burnt through, but only after overheating when my freeze plug popped out. Got some more off a guy, Jeff, on this site.

The coolest thing about the HM is that it is different from the norm. They also look really cool once cleaned up and painted.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4645&sort=&pagenum=1 - 69 Mustang HM

Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:22pm
I'm guessing the inside looks like this John?

And David yours looks so good I think I'm convinced that I'm going pull the exhausts and paint them for one of this winters projects

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm guessing the inside looks like this John?

And David yours looks so good I think I'm convinced that I'm going pull the exhausts and paint them for one of this winters projects

Certainly not original if the picture is correct but, certainly restorable.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:56pm

Thanks Gary. I still am trying to figure out a good way to paint the red and white "HM"'s all over the engine. I tried with a small brush and some acrylic artist paint but it was way too sloppy. Might find some paint pens and give it a whirl.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4645&sort=&pagenum=1 - 69 Mustang HM

Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Certainly not original if the picture is correct but, certainly restorable. [/QUOTE]

I agree Pete but it is the ONLY picture out there of a '69 SS dash's and console basic layout since we don't have a brochure reference from those years.You can see the big change from the '68 SS.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: August-18-2011 at 11:14pm
Vondy mask off cut with exacto knife and spray paint

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:13am
The dash is the same, but it has a different steering wheel that looks like what was in another Mustang I looked at. There is a faded sticker on the dash that looks to be original warning that it is a high power ski boat and it can hurt you. The interior and floor have been removed so it is pretty much gutted. The floor, console, side panels, dog house and drivers seat are in the garage near the boat, but that is about all there is as far as interior. The upholstery is still on the side panels. This boat has ethe split windshield, but it appears to be plexiglass. I thought the plexi windshield were one piece. Trying to find all the parts scares me. I wish I could find one that had been restored like Gary's or Vondy's, but I am sure that isn't going to happen.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:41am
BTW, it has a flat top dog house and a side mounted throttle. Is that correct? The original ski nylon and floor trim ring is there too.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:56am
The throttle and gear shift is supposed to be in the console John,you can see them in the picture above or here on this Barracuda SS console. It may have been converted to a single lever on the side like mine. Check to see if he has these parts if it has been changed or take a bunch of pictures when you go and I'll look them over.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:02am
The console has no gauges in it like the blue one in the photo. I didn't notice if it had the square hole in the console for them. I forgot to mention, someone stole the Chrome CC badges off of it.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:06am
The doghouse if it has a flat top is most likely wood,which is ok.Here's mine also showing the correct wheel.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:08am
That's the wheel, but this one is rusty. The dog house is fiberglass

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:11am
That's the wheel, but this one is rusty. The dog house is fiberglass. It has a really small nav light that looks original too. The horn looks like the one on yours as well.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:16am
Yours is beautiful.
Is that a Lustron home? That is also beautiful. If so, does it have the original dish washer?

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:32am
I thought the wheel was stainless John,I'll have to check.The horns on mine have been replaced,these new ones have stainless trumpets,the original ones were chrome.Are you saying the chrome side scripts at toward the stern saying Correct Craft are gone? If you can find them they are not cheap,but one of our members was talking about having them reproduced.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:42am
Yes, the script Correct Craft on the sides. The wheel looks like yours, the ring (part you grip) appears to be good quality plastic and is dark brown. This boat sat outside covered so it was probably pretty humid in there at times.
I am pretty sure I see a Lustron home complete with garage in your photo, pretty cool!

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:43am
Thats my Mom and Dads house,I live next door in my Grandma's house.It was supposed to be the second from last one done and one of the very few 2 car garages.The dishwasher/washing machine is long gone,my Mom said it was not a good dishwasher or a good washing machine either.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:51am
Very nice! I used to live in a 1929 Sears catalog house called the Osborne. I miss it sometimes. We have some Lustrons near me. My friend used to own one. I really liked it. It had the porch, but not the garage.
There is no upholstery on the fiberglass dog house, and it looks like there never was.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 2:23am
My Dad built the garage himself,the company had designed it but didn't get it into production by the time they went under.They sent him all the panels and plans.You recieved enough panels to build a solid cube,you got to decide where the doors and windows went.The good thing about that was you ended up with extra panels.He than took those extra panels and closed in the porch making the living room bigger. Looks just as if it was originally done that way.They lived in my great grandmothers house a short walk away and every day my Mom would come and take pictures of the progress.I went to a historic house lecture at the community college and was talking afterwords with the presenter who told me he knew of a woman who took movies of her's being built. He saw my moms book and could not believe it.

Your right,there was no upholstery on a 'glass box

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 2:34am
thread jack....very cool story on the family houses gary!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 2:48am
Thanks John. You know you look back on your life and you wonder how you had the time to get things done. Kids,school,work driving an hour each way and you got stuff done. Now I spend an hour just looking for something and then get side tracked

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 3:43am
You're right, Gary. That is exactly why I am afraid to take on this Mustang project. Did you refinish your hull. It looks so nice in the photos now and a little sad when you got it.
I would love to see it sometime. Let me know if there is an opportunity.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 11:54am
Still a work in process John.Sanded and buffed and I have filled some bad chips.You don't want to look real close but concidering of what I started with--

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:25pm
FYI, if the boat has a gelcoat box with a flat top like this, then the boat is most likely a '70, not a '69.

Rumor has it that *someone* is looking into getting Correct Craft emblems made up, as well as producing a few of the '69-70 fiberglass bucket seats.

-------------

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:46pm
Did the H/M motor fit under the curved top fiberglass dog house? I have looked At two H/M Mustangs that were 69s according to the paper work and they both had flat top fiberglass dog houses.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:33pm
I sure thought it did... but to be honest, I cant think of a single '68-69 H-M that had the glass box... the few around seem to have wooden boxes (like Gary). My understanding was that the humps in the rear of the glass box were added in '68 specifically to accomodate the H-M snails.

One of the few differences between the '69 and '70 boats was the style of the glass motorbox... but we all know how consistent CC was with details like that! There sure was a lot of overlap on the changes between the '68-69 boats, so its unlikely they were 100% better just a year later! That being said, I wouldnt put any sort of faith in what a title or registration says regarding model year... youre completely dependant on the previous owner and DMV to know what theyre talking about. Having the factory look up your hull number is the only way to know for sure.

-------------

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:48pm
The first H/M Mustang I looked at was:
hull S/N M2799
Engine S/N D9HM-3705-2-RWT

I know boats were like antique motorcycles back then. Some states issued titles indicating the model year as the date sold.
I will get the info off the other one today.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 4:50pm
I got the information from the boat.
I took about 60 photos of the boat.
S/N: MSS2595
Engine S/N: D9HM-3101-2-RWT
The S/N plate is on a metal plate on the port stringer.
I will try to post a couple photos.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 5:07pm
John,
The serial number will not give you the build date. Back before the HIN's, the serial numbers were simply sequential as boats were built. You may be able to get in touch with CC and they could give you the info off the build sheet.

My Cuda with the H/M had the flat top glass dog house but, it was a 70!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 6:03pm
The faded dash sticker next to the hour meter that looks to be original to me says:
Attention this is a high performance high powered sport boat. Use care and respect in It's operation.

Knowing what's out there today I had to chuckle a little.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

The faded dash sticker next to the hour meter that looks to be original to me says:
Attention this is a high performance high powered sport boat. Use care and respect in It's operation.

Knowing what's out there today I had to chuckle a little.

Not true. I think you'll be very surprised at the performance of that boat with that H/M!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 9:04pm
Now that I have looked the boat over very closely I can see the controls were most likely in the console. There is a stainless steel plate that covers the square hole where they would have gone. I am thinking that arrangement may have been a little clumsy, but definitely cool. That may just be because of my 45 years of owning boats that had the traditional throttle set ups. I wish I could post a couple photos, but the hosting sites will not allow me to upload them from my phone, I can only email them. I can not figure out any way to do it.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 9:38pm
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] John,
The serial number will not give you the build date. QUOTE]

I can give you a good guess,it's a January or Feburary of '69 boat. Mine was on 12-16 and its 28 boats newer than mine.I believe the same number sequence was used in all Mustangs ie MSS 2595 could have been followed by M 2596. Now since I have a console I realize why there arn't too many around.It takes up already limited floor space,making it hard to get into the front seats but more importantly you can accidently either kick it into gear or just give it the gas climbing into the seats,no safety interlocks.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 9:41pm
John,
Yes, the old dual controls took some getting used to. It's like the old dual controls on the 50's and 60's O/b's!! Clumsy would be an understatement but the cool factor of the SS having them is worth a million!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 10:02pm
My first boat, a 59 Lone Star Malibu with a Merc Mark 30, had dual controls, but they were on the right hand.
BTW, the angle of the exhaust hoses is pretty Sharp at the back of the H/M manifolds. Is there an angle fitting or elbow after them that's missing, or do they just make a Sharp radius bend? Also, I am told that the flat top fiberglass dog house is original, and the hinge holes and wear marks in the floor back that up, so I guess they did put them in 69 H/Ms. It's the second one I've seen that way. The other one was M2799 that I mentioned above.

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 10:28pm

I am told that the flat top fiberglass dog house is original, and the hinge holes and wear marks in the floor back that up, so I guess they did put them in 69 H/Ms.

The only way to confirm that would be to get the serial number to CC, as theyre the only ones who can tell you the year for sure.

-------------

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I am told that the flat top fiberglass dog house is original, and the hinge holes and wear marks in the floor back that up, so I guess they did put them in 69 H/Ms.

The only way to confirm that would be to get the serial number to CC, as theyre the only ones who can tell you the year for sure.

Confirmed again!!   

John,
The serial number will not give you the build date. Back before the HIN's, the serial numbers were simply sequential as boats were built. You may be able to get in touch with CC and they could give you the info off the build sheet.

My Cuda with the H/M had the flat top glass dog house but, it was a 70!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 10:53pm
Just going by Gary's post above!

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 11:03pm

Just going by Gary's post above!

It's not set "in stone"

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 11:28pm

Even that is iffy,I was originally told back when I bought it that it was a '68 SS. Then Reid tells me that due to the venting it's a '69.The gauge layout,front buckets,the wheel and pylon lean toward a '69. To add further confusion just a year or two ago Dave relooked up my numbers right while I was on the phone and he said the records don't actually say MSS in front of my serial number.Other SS's in the series was 2500,2502,both on 8-12-68, 2545,don't have the date written down,and mine 2567 on 12-16-68
Here is a copy of that original letter--

CORRECT CRAFT:
on the waters of the world since 1925
September 21, 1988
Gary Starr
1537 N. River
Algonquin, IL 60102
Dear Mr. Starr,
The boat you now have is a Mustang Super Sport. The Mustang was an
extremely popular boat and there are many still on the water. I
have enclosed the sales literature from 1968 which is the year
model you have. I show that boat being shipped out of the factory
in December of 1968.
Even though the literature I am sending you says Interceptor
engines you have a Holman and Moody engine. That is the original
engine as well as the original trailer that this boat was shipped
with. What I can't read on the invoice is what horsepower the
engine is. It has 220 with a 0 typed over the second 2. I tend to
believe that it isa 289 cu. in. with 200 horsepower as most of my
other literature suggests.
We began building Mustangs in approximately 1965 and the last year
was 1979. They were considered a ski boat and were built in both
16 and 17 foot versions.
As for a prop I just can't be sure. Some of my sheets have no
dates or lengths of the boats so I can't be sure if they are for a
16ft. 1968 Mustang. Much less anything from the Super Sport
series. I am showing 12x12 RH on one sheet and 12x14 on another
and neither one of those is for a 289 engine. I also don't know
the maximum rpm's on that engine which is what you really need to
know to prop it properly. The one thing you need to remember when
you get a prop is that it needs to be right hand rotation.
Well, thats about all I can tell you.I have highlighted some of the information you might want to know.If there is anything else I might be able to help you with please let me know.
Phone (407) 855-4141
FAX (407) 851-7844
Sincerely, Debbie Johnston
Customer Service

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-19-2011 at 11:38pm

Even that is iffy,I was originally told back when I bought it that it was a '68 SS. Then Reid tells me that due to the venting it's a '69.The gauge layout,front buckets,the wheel and pylon lean toward a '69. To add further confusion just a year or two ago Dave relooked up my numbers right while I was on the phone and he said the records don't actually say MSS.
Here is a copy of that letter--

CORRECT CRAFT:
on the waters of the world since 1925
September 21, 1988
Gary Starr
1537 N. River
Algonquin, IL 60102
Dear Mr. Starr,
The boat you now have is a Mustang Super Sport. The Mustang was an
extremely popular boat and there are many still on the water. I
have enclosed the sales literature from 1968 which is the year
model you have. I show that boat being shipped out of the factory
in December of 1968.
Even though the literature I am sending you says Interceptor
engines you have a Holman and Moody engine. That is the original
engine as well as the original trailer that this boat was shipped
with. What I can't read on the invoice is what horsepower the
engine is. It has 220 with a 0 typed over the second 2. I tend to
believe that it isa 289 cu. in. with 200 horsepower as most of my
other literature suggests.
We began building Mustangs in approximately 1965 and the last year
was 1979. They were considered a ski boat and were built in both
16 and 17 foot versions.
As for a prop I just can't be sure. Some of my sheets have no
dates or lengths of the boats so I can't be sure if they are for a
16ft. 1968 Mustang. Much less anything from the Super Sport
series. I am showing 12x12 RH on one sheet and 12x14 on another
and neither one of those is for a 289 engine. I also don't know
the maximum rpm's on that engine which is what you really need to
know to prop it properly. The one thing you need to remember when
you get a prop is that it needs to be right hand rotation.
Well, thats about all I can tell you.I have highlighted some of the information you might want to know.If there is anything else I might be able to help you with please let me know.
Phone (407) 855-4141
FAX (407) 851-7844
Sincerely, Debbie Johnston
Customer Service

Funny!!   

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 11:54am
Gary, even if CC "cant find it", I can tell you for sure that if your boat was built in Dec of '68, then its a '69! If it were built in the summer, it may have been a question.

-------------

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 1:04pm
Had a long talk with John last night and this am looks like he's in his own words, "pulling the trigger" Looks to be in better shape than mine was and think it will be a great addition to his fleet.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 1:33pm
I don't mean to step on any toes or steal any of his thunder,he is having trouble posting pictures from his phone,but here is a tease-

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 6:35pm
Thank you for posting the photo for me Gary. Now that I have seen it here it seems real. It was nice to learn that some came with a wood rear seat frame, as this one has. I thought the glass frame was missing, but it looks like this one had wood originally. My wife is not as excited as me. She wanted me to buy one that needed nothing. I am a little apprehensive about taking on the project as well. I have done this several times before, so I know what I'm in for. I never would have considered this project if it wasn't for this site. What a great support network. If you see it in the for sale section in a year or so you will know I failed. I will try writing to CC for history. I hope they still do that.

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 6:43pm
I can understand her feelings John.I'm not sure that one could be found needing nothing! CC takes awhile to get back to you just so you know. If you want me to post the rest of the pics just say the word.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 6:54pm
If you think anyone would be interested or have some advice for me give it a go. I love to see it.

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 7:17pm
John,
Just keep going forward!! I'd love to see you take on this project. Also, keep in mind that Villa Park really isn't that far from where I work in Schiller Park and I'd be very happy to take a detour one day on my way home to visit. I get out of work at about 2 - 2:30

BTW, get a picture posted of the instrument cluster. It too can give us an idea of the year of the boat.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 7:46pm
Gary, would you please post a few photos of the dash, engine, and anything else that is interesting. Maybe the console. BTW I am going th need a fiberglass passenger seat & bracket among other things.

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 8:02pm
That is a very generous offer. I would appreciate having it looked over by expert eyes. I will be relying on this site a lot over the next year or two.

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 8:50pm

That is a very generous offer. I would appreciate having it looked over by expert eyes. I will be relying on this site a lot over the next year or two.

I'm up for it!!
Wk: 847 678 7573 ext 654
Hm: 847 763 7369

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 8:59pm
Thank you. I won't be home from Manitowish Waters WI until the end of September.

Date Posted: August-20-2011 at 11:04pm

sorry for the size,I'm out of time!

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: August-21-2011 at 2:45am
Buy that boat!

-------------

Date Posted: August-21-2011 at 3:22am
I did buy it. I pick it up next week. I am both excited and apprehensive.

Date Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:40pm
I tried not to be lazy and searched for a post about re gel coating a boat, bit I couldn't find what I was looking for. Is anyone familiar with a post like that?

Date Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:56pm
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21677&PN=1&title=gelcoat - This is the one I was talking about the other night.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-21-2011 at 9:12pm
Here's a couple of how my back seat is done John.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-22-2011 at 1:48pm
I am reasonably sure someone can tell me what the original anchor light looked like on a 69 Mustang. Mine has a Perko type with the swing top retainer and a cheap mast with a plastic fixture. It was mounted on a small block of wood for some reason. I will need to track one down.

Date Posted: August-22-2011 at 2:33pm

I am reasonably sure someone can tell me what the original anchor light looked like on a 69 Mustang. Mine has a Perko type with the swing top retainer and a cheap mast with a plastic fixture. It was mounted on a small block of wood for some reason. I will need to track one down.

John,
Take a look in the diaries and see if you can find some pictures of stern lights. I did and it looks like that era CC used two. However, I do know that they used a all metal Perko on the Cuda's that Perko still makes. Charlie (Brady) got one for his Cuda and the base was a perfect match.

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/navigation_lights_under_20_meters/product/133/ - All metal Perko

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-22-2011 at 2:46pm
Thanks for the help
I checked and saw several in the diaries before I asked, but they were not all alike. My base lookes similar, but the mast is different from all of them. Maybe mine is the original base with a newer cheapie mast and light. I will check Perko out.
I read Wakeslayers post "water behind a stringers" again for bedtime reading last night. I'm getting pumped about this boat!

Date Posted: August-22-2011 at 4:56pm
Here is what was on mine,kind of mangled up but did not have the feature of being able to remove the light portion easily,possibly why it has the ski rope guard?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-22-2011 at 5:02pm
Very nice, thank you Gary.

Date Posted: August-22-2011 at 5:19pm

However, I do know that they used a all metal Perko on the Cuda's that Perko still makes. Charlie (Brady) got one for his Cuda and the base was a perfect match.

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/navigation_lights_under_20_meters/product/133/ - All metal Perko

This is the one I got for mine. The base matched up great. I never had the light so I don't know what it originally looked like. I like the new one, it's nice. I only wish the light was LED.

-------------

Date Posted: August-22-2011 at 6:00pm
Thank you David. That looks like the photo of Gary's, and a good choice.
I know I probably paid too much for this Mustang, and I really didn't want a project, but everyone has been so helpful on this site that I am ready to undertake another restoration. Thanks for all the complements and encouragement. I hope that if I have a hairbrained idea about the project that I will have some critics as well. I feel like this will be the sister to Gary's. Very close in S/Ns and both blue. I have a few reservations about the H/M engine. It may not be out there in abundance, but the 260 interceptor is such a classic. The iron manifolds seem less troublesome too.

Date Posted: August-23-2011 at 5:21pm
I just got it home. The only major bummer is the windshield. The drivers side is good, but the passenger side glass is missing. Some. PO has made a plexiglass passenger side windshield. It looks pretty good, but definitely not acceptable to me. I will have to pull out my wallet and wait for one of those I suspect. Other than that no surprises. The floor pan was used by Webster for a definition of spider/ stress cracking, but its all there. I don't think it will be going back in. The H/M is a 4bbl Holly, although I suspect it is not the original as it has J tubes. The other one I looked at did not. There is no tag.
So far on my shopping list are four items,each constructed from unobtainium. The CC badges that were stolen from it (side Chrome CC nameplates), the passenger side glass windshield one fiberglass seat frame with brackets, and the throttle/shift for the console. I believe it is a CC trailer with a little mod to the front. I am not off to a great start, but most projects are like this. It is really pretty to me.

Date Posted: August-24-2011 at 11:43pm
I had a little time to look at the boat today. I took the manifolds off and gave them a good visual inspection. They look good, but I didn't remove the risers. I will give them a water test soon. The boat has almost all the parts, but is pretty rough. The engine is locked up and I am sure the velvet drive needs Eric. I want to have the boat gel coated. I had heard that Watercraft Sales in Three Lakes WI does it. I called and talked to Mark in and he confirmed it. Does anyone have experience with them? The trailer looks too big for the boat. I don't know if if is the right one. I may look at the boat a little more tomorrow.

Date Posted: August-24-2011 at 11:58pm

I want to have the boat gel coated. I had heard that Watercraft Sales in Three Lakes WI does it. I called and talked to Mark in and he confirmed it.

John,
Look at my GD signature line!!!!!! And. if you did ANY on sire searching, you'd find I worked for Watercraft in the late 60's and early 70's. Absolute BS from Mark!!! It's all job'd out and the person that does their work is a very close personal friend. Pay attention and search CCfan!!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:26am
I saw that. I thought you may be familiar with them. Hmmm, maybe you could make an intro to your guy? A friend of mine has a high end body shop. He can paint it, but I have always shied away from paint. His painter won't work with gel coat. If I don't make a plan soon I may have to dump this one or try to part it out and find a good one that's ready to go. The windshield glass and seat frame really scare me, Mrs Bee won't sit on a milk crate, and my daughter had an un- flattering comment about its appearance.

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:28am
BTW, someone hit this trailer with the ugly stick.

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 2:47am
My wife liked ours when I brought it home,she knew where she could find me - in the garage. No prize either,engine locked up,strut bent,no rudder,no prop,no glass at all.Any one can just go and buy one
I needed pretty much the same parts you do and thru all the great people on this site,some I've met,others we've only emailed,they have helped me pull it all together.
Show them these pictures maybe it will help-

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 6:00am
The after photo is what she expected me to come home with. Maybe its a sign of age, but she thinks a few sheets of plywood and a motor is the most fun you can have on the water. She also clearly remembers my last restoration. A trip to KS for a boat, a trip to OH for an engine, followed by 250 hours in the garage in five weeks. It was epic.
Someone has modified the engine on this boat. According to the H/M tag it is a 2V, 210 HP 302 built in 69. The intake and carb have been changed to 4V. Here is some info I found on another site. It must be true, it was on the interweb.

http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/343-dechipering-holman-moody-serial-numbers

I initially wanted a Donzi Sweet 16, but wife & daughters did not like the styling. They think the red Mustang on our chain is cute, and so the quest began. After about 2000 miles of travel to look at them, I was in a bar in Manitowish Waters having a pizza and talking to the bartender about it and he told me he had one. Funny how things work out.

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 5:24pm
I fell asleep reading gel coat threads. It's hard to find a search string that weeds out what I'm not looking for. I still don't know where to take it for a reputable shop/ individual. I'll read more tonight.

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 5:56pm

Here's what mine looked like when I brought her home. She's come a long way.

My advice would be to not sweat it. Take your time restoring. You have another boat right? This is our only boat so it put a lot more pressure on me to get her done. Too much pressure. It got to where I was not enjoying it anymore. My wife would divorce me if I told her I was going to do another anytime soon. I don't even think she likes the boat anymore.

I still need original seats. One of these days I'll find some or Tim on here will get around to making some from his molds and hopefully sell them. Missing one of my side emblems as well. That pissed me off cus I think it just fell off and sank to the bottom of the lake.

I ended up having a plexi windshield made. Mine's one piece though.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 6:05pm
I want to make it a winter project, but before I sink money into it I want to get an idea of what I'm up against as far as the gel coat is concerned. I can do everything else myself, well, except make a windshield pane, seats, and badges.

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 6:39pm
The pictures arent the greatest, but Im not sure what youre seeing that would make you think you need to respray the gel. I cant even see any appreciable chips. Gel needs to be VERY far gone to be beyond saving. Take a look at Gary and Bruce's Mustangs above... those are a result of wetsanding and polishing. Ive seen ones that started off even uglier come back to life. Yours looks pretty tame in comparison- a great starting point.

If you do decide not to proceed on the project due to the wife factor, Im sure someone here would love to pick up where you left off!

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 9:33pm
Stay off those other sites John.There is way more knowledge on here    I'm surprised that yours is a 302,mine was a 289 and a 2 bbl too,but now is a 302 as well.What are your engine numbers ? When you get it down here,I'd come over and help Pete have a look at it too.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 9:45pm

Stay off those other sites John.There is way more knowledge on here    I'm surprised that yours is a 302,mine was a 289 and a 2 bbl too,but now is a 302 as well.What are your engine numbers ? When you get it down here,I'd come over and help Pete have a look at it too.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 10:21pm
I wish Pete could customize his little smiley face icons to have the white shirt attached

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I wish Pete could customize his little smiley face icons to have the white shirt attached

Real nice Peter!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-25-2011 at 11:55pm
I posted my engine #s back somewhere like page 2 along with the numbers from the 69 H/M Mustang I passed on in West Bend WI.
As far as the gel coat It's gone. I have many hours of wet sanding, buffing, and waxing boats to know the difference. You just can't polish out cracks and chips. I wish I could. As I mentioned my friend could paint it at his body shop, but I am afraid of paint. He has done boats before with good results, and just finished the front deck of my friends newer Four Winns that somehow got jammed under a dock.
I just need to get the opinion of an experienced gel coater. I looked at the thread on that yellow CC that the owner did, he made it sound easy. It may be easy to shoot it, but like a paint job the labor is in the details.
Just curious, do these boats ever level out on plane, or do they always ride bow high?
BTW Mrs Bee is on board as long as I thin out a few unused toys. I really owe her. I have been with her since we were 18 and she is still my best friend.

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:08am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

with the monogramed cuffs!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: August-26-2011 at 5:35pm

Just curious, do these boats ever level out on plane, or do they always ride bow high?

They plane out but are always bow high.

-------------

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: August-26-2011 at 9:03pm
if its bow high but not porpoising thats a perfect world

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: August-26-2011 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

They plane out but are always bow high.

John,
David is correct. It's just the nature of most of the 60'hulls and BTW as well as most of any boat manufacturer's hulls in the 60's and prior.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-26-2011 at 10:22pm
The weather was marginal for the project I have going on outside so I did some research to try to get a title for this lost soul. This boat has been sold or given away many times on bills of sale without a title changing hands, so I thought I better get started. The sticker on the boat was from 1998 so I figured that was when it was last used. WI DNR was very helpful, they gave me all of the information on the owner of record, including a disconnected tx. A quick internet search located the PO with a tx. I spoke to the gentleman and found out he is a retired judge from a WI county. He was excited that the boat had a new owner and will get a replacement title and sign it over. He told me he sold the boat in 98 to a guy who just left if outside and he believes it was never used again. He bought it from a DR. In Bloomingdale IL in about 91. Blommingdale is one town away from my primary home. The judge did a floor & foam job and buffer and waxed it when he bought it. The boat reportedly looked and ran great. He said that he liked the boat very much, but he changes boats fairly often. He also told me that the boat was very fast and took only a couple of boat lengths to get on plane. .Interestingly he said there is one exactly like it on White Sand Lake in northern WI. He told me that boat is in showroom condition. I would like to see it. His son is presently restoring a Chris Craft. The last thing he made me do was promise to take him for a ride if I finish it, and he meant it.

Date Posted: August-26-2011 at 10:46pm
John.
Do NOT be concerned about how the hull planes!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-26-2011 at 11:29pm
The trailer my boat is on looks way to wide for it. I believe it is a CC trailer with a modified tongue and bow stop. Is there any dead giveaway? Yes I have searched the forums and come up empty handed.

Date Posted: August-27-2011 at 12:37am
Is the serial number plate still on it? It's up front by the tongue. Here's a couple of pictures of mine,with even some goofy side rails

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-28-2011 at 2:44am
It looks like I have smoothed things over with the Queen Bee. I agreed to sell both of my antique Mark Twain boats to take on this Mustang project. I hope I am not making a big mistake, but maybe It's time for a change. I have owned the 72 MT since 77. I bought it from a friend who bought it new. I have a lot of good memories of my girls growing up skiing, tubing, and just cruising in it. They both got their boat licenses when they were 12 and have been using it alone since then.
There are so many issues with the Mustang it scares me. The parts I need may take a very long time to find. I am striking out in my attempts to find someone I can trust to gel coat it. It may end up painted. Here is the other MT i am giving up. No, the dash isn't original, I made it. It is a 15' I/O and I have repowered it 1 1/2 times.

Date Posted: August-28-2011 at 11:53pm
I took the fabric off of my one fiberglass front seat. The frame is on life support. It has cracks where the back meets the base. I am surprised any have survived. Substantial... Not!   I am going to check with a fiberglass fabricator in Chicago I know of.

Date Posted: August-29-2011 at 12:48am
I had one like that too John so I threw it out and made a bench seat like my buddies Ski Nautique. Been kicking myself ever since.I sure it could have been repaired.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-31-2011 at 1:50pm
Hi David,
Can you tell me about the front seats in your boat. They don't look like the ONE frame I have, but they look great. Are they original,, or something you bought and had reupholstered? I read that someone may attempt to manufacturer them. Your boat and Gary's are the inspiration that made me begin this project. I'm not sure I can meet your standards.

Date Posted: August-31-2011 at 2:32pm
Vondy's seats are generic boat seats available from Overtons, etc. The original buckets look like this:

Im the one who has made a mold to reproduce the buckets... but doing so is a ways down on my list of projects. I havent looked into getting the aluminum frames reproduced.

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2011 at 5:23pm
Yeah my seats are not original, one of the POs put them in.

I can't wait to get some though. The sides on these make getting in and out a little tough.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window