Print Page | Close Window

I Know most of you wont care but...

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23454
Printed Date: June-30-2024 at 11:01am

Topic: I Know most of you wont care but...
Posted By: MIskier
Subject: I Know most of you wont care but...
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 2:00pm
Had to post some pics of the New X-star. Ive been waiting 2 years to tell people about this boat. So here it is

24'
~5000lb
1600lb Ballast

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

1986 CC Ski Nautique 2001

Replies:
Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 2:26pm

-------------

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 2:27pm
Wow. That's a lot of boat.

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 2:52pm
I think your topic sums it up... not to be ugly but your posting it here why?

Wouldn't you be better off posing it on MasterCraftFan?   

Interesting chine/mold lines on the hull. I wonder what their purpose in life is? Why so many? Gotta be a layup nightmare. Sure is busy.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: mdvalant
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 3:00pm
Or planet nautique?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5009 - '90 Ski (sold)
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5479 - '00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 3:09pm
that hull looks like they were not too sure what they were doing

is there a straight line on the hull anywhere

it is exceptionally ugly, I'll give em that

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 3:16pm
Wow, That is ugly!

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

that hull looks like they were not too sure what they were doing

Hi, I'm a MasterCraft.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:00pm
Matt,
I too have to ask why did you post this on CCfan? All you have done is waste valuable memory on Keith’s server. Your thought process is not the greatest. You could have at least posted it in the "off topic" section. Go back to designing real ugly boats!!    

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: MI-nick
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:02pm
almost makes me embarrassed to be a wakeboarder...

-------------
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:06pm
now i see! this boat looks like it was inspired on the one that had the wooden tower!! who has the picture of that one handy?

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:13pm
I must be getting old..... what ever happend to clean/straight lines?

...........graghics? ...heres REAL graphics....

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:21pm
What in the wide, wide world of sports were they thinking of?? I know that the newer boats have really "interesting" designs, but holy ______!!!! That looks like a bat boat on steroids!

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:22pm

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

that pivoting arm is FUGLY

-------------

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

-------------

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:24pm
I just thought of something - If MC has a defective crappy hull come out of the mold, why bother fixing it - just put a wrap on it!!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:25pm
I'm not terribly upset he posted it. Made for a good laugh on this rather gray Friday.

-------------

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:26pm
I think you guy's are being way to critical. I think it looks great,after all better off on a Mastercraft than a Nautique

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:33pm
Did he or anyone else go post picctures of the new Ski Nautique Andy Mapple Edition on the MC site for them to drool over?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:37pm
+1 on the Andy Mapple SN 200. I like it.

Posted By: seacamper
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:37pm
To the Batmoboat Robin! Da na na na na na na na na nahhhhhh

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:38pm
Matt,
I see you are a Naval Architecture Student ...is this some kind of a feasibility study?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:57pm
I interned for them and had a hand in the hull design and some other features on the boat. I've waited nearly 2 years to be able to talk about the boat and just wanted to share something that I was proud to be a part of.

Thanks too all of you who decided to take a S***T on it though! By the way that wrap was a nice tribute to everyone at the factory that helped to design and build the boat.

Its quite obvious that many of you are completely nonobjective. There are only two people on this board that have worked for one of these companies me and Jody, and yet we seem to be far more objective then most here when it comes to different brands of boats.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:00pm
MIskier, haven't you figured out that it is not appropriate to have opinions about anything other than how awesome CC's are?! Come on!!!

KIDDING!!! I do respect the time and effort put into building it. A little back story on it BEFORE you posted the pic might have been more appropriate though. Just a thought...

-------------

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:07pm
Matt;

Please don't take any of the posts personally. It was not directed at you, and I don't blame you for being proud of being part of a new product launch. It is no doubt an exciting time in your life.

However, please keep in mind, this is a Correct Craft site that pretty much caters to the classic boats. So, hopefully you weren't too surprised by the responses. And, you have to admit, the boat is a very futuristic design that may take a little while to get used to. In my opinion, regardless of the mfg., the boat is way to busy, with too many confusing lines, at least for my tastes. But, I tend to prefer the simple, straight classic lines.   

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:13pm
I agree that some of the style lines do make it look a bit busy, if you look at the two boats in my signature both simple and plain as far as looks are concerned,but the lines of the hull do serve a purpose. As the hull displaces more water the multiple chines help to provide extra lift to keep planning times and power requirements in check.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:28pm
I'm sorry but I know ugly when I see it.

the multiple chines have come and gone before...sounds good but the actual effectiveness is highly questionable IMO

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:34pm
Matt, dont take it so hard, man. You probably had an idea what could happen when you posted the topic title.

You have to understand you posted the Mastercraft on a "classic"* Correct Craft site. *(read a lot of old people). I'm guessing that middle age and up guys are not your target audience? I personally dont even like the graphics on most of the new Air Nautiques.

Dont know if there is a Mastercraft , wakeboard site around? ...bet the response would be different. You should be proud of being involved in the project, but get used to taking a few bruises when you ask for opinions, especially when not in the target audience.

Cheers!

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by MIskier MIskier wrote:

the lines of the hull do serve a purpose. As the hull displaces more water the multiple chines help to provide extra lift to keep planning times and power requirements in check.

Gar Wood did it in the winter of 1921 - 22 on his 33' "Baby Gar".

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:38pm
Actually they are quite effective from a Naval Architects point of view and are used on a variety of different craft from small boats like the X-star to ships. Good example is the latest fire boats. Semi planning boat with a double chine so when on station the wider upper chine increases role stability while the monitors are in action.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:41pm
Yes there is an MC site team talk but everyone over there was waiting for the launch of the boat this morning. I posted here because with most of the audience being a little older I figured they could be more objective and well adult like...

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:44pm
Its a boat so I am interested.. but what does it do? It is kinda ugly, but does it board or surf better for some reason? I would sure hate to wetsand it after a couple years out in the sun.. A wrap might not be a bad idea.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:44pm

Yes there is an MC site team talk but everyone over there was waiting for the launch of the boat this morning. I posted here because with most of the audience being a little older I figured they could be more objective and well adult like...

............"adult like"........ polite way to say old?

btw, What do they figure the average target is? Male/20's?...

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:45pm
Someone needs to come up with wraps for every year Nautique ever made. Forget wet sanding and all that crap, just re-wrap it.

Scratch? damn, will have to re-wrap next spring. Don't be a fool, wrap your tool!

Seriously though...although it still isn't "original"

-------------

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:48pm
Could you post pics of your boat designs?

I think having a hull designer onboard the site is quite interesting and gives this forum another area of expertise.

thanks for sharing and stay around!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:54pm
The boat does throw a better wake then the old boat and requires significantly less weight to produce a wake that is "pro level." In the old boat during pro tour stops they were running nearly 6,000lbs of ballast.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:55pm
I will, I started working on a ski boat design of my own and will post a screen capture of a 2d drawing of it. The hull form is quite unique, but I wont be posting any pics of that since I want to have a marketable design.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:57pm
Matt...I wouldn't blame you a bit for being upset with a bunch of "old" classic Correct Craft guys that just don't get the new MC designs. In fact, you will probably now want to get rid of that '86 Ski Nautique. I would be MORE than happy to help you in that endeavour

Seriously, I have always liked the '86! The best of old and new. Old hull, new in-gel graphics/interior. Just a clean looking design.

Also, you probably learned something with this post too. You should have, as Adamt I think it was said, told a little bit of the back story with the boat so people knew what was going on with it, and how you were involved with the boat. People may have tempered their responses some....or maybe not.

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 5:57pm
No mid 30's to early 40's with a large amount of disposable income is the target audience for the buyer with the thought that kids will have an influence in dads decision.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 6:08pm
congrats on just being anywhere near a boat manufacturer or design team i am sure there isnt a person here who wouldnt want the same chance. like it or dislike the boat it is what we all look at driving down the road and cruising the shores.

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 6:15pm

No mid 30's to early 40's with a large amount of disposable income is the target audience for the buyer with the thought that kids will have an influence in dads decision.

....and I had to beg for an allowance....

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 6:18pm
btw, I still like this "old man" boat...

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 6:37pm
Matt, I know how much fun it can be working with a prototype boat. I worked for Skier's Choice (Supra and Moomba Boats) for several years as the warranty manager for the company.

I worked closely with the R&D team, engineering (Mike Shirley/ Rob Shirley's (founder of Master Craft)son and Rick Tinker the owner.

I will say I loved my job and working for Skier's Choice they were one of the best companies I have ever worked for, I was laid off and lost my job with them due to the economy.
So I can understand your excitement. I own many "old" Correct Craft boats and love them all but do have respect for the new ones too (Even though I may not like them). I am still involved in the "Industry" Working for Composites One selling resin,gel coat,glass and other materials to most of the boat builders in the southeast and the coast of North and South Carolina working with many custom boat builders as well. I will say your photos are interesting and Master Craft is always working on "Something new" I see you have an 86 2001 too

Nautique Frk    Mike Thrower

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 7:43pm
do the hood scoop looking things on the back deck have a functional purpose? Hard to tell from the picture.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:00pm
Matt, you had my dream job! How cool to say that you worked on a boat design. There just are not many guys who can say that.
I graduated with a Mech Engineering degree back in, uh... let's just say I'm in that "target audience" you mention age-wise (except for the lots of income part). Anyhow, before I graduated I sent off a resume to apply at Master Craft, Correct Craft, Malibu etc. I got very nicely worded rejections from all three so I moved on to aerospace and have worked in that industry ever since.

Chines work. It's a scientific fact.

And, kudos to you for keep this under your hat for so long. That kind of honesty and loyalty will get you far in business and in life. Also congrats on meeting those design requirements! It's very cool that you were able to meet your design objectives of a pro style wake with 25% of the ballast required. That should make the boat more safe, correct?

I like the look and lines of a classic small-wake ski boat myself, but I can hear the pride you have in this design. And for that I say, "WELL DONE!"

-------------

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:11pm
The back looks like a jet ski and the tower looks like it's from the Transformer movies.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:13pm
Yes being able to get that internship with MC was a dream come true, and I couldn't have asked for better mentors than the engineering team there. They trusted me enough to let me work without someone looking over my shoulder and were very receptive to the ideas that I put fourth during meetings.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:16pm
I should have qualified my statement a little better the pros arent running just the standard ballast they are adding some on top of that, they are running more like 50% of what they were running previously.

As far as classic ski boat designs are concerned then you will probably really like the look of the boat that I have been working on. Ill post up an autocad sketch of it.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:18pm
The rear vents are for the blower. IF you're referring to the headrests those are only headrests no purpose beyond that.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I must be getting old..... what ever happend to clean/straight lines?

...........graghics? ...heres REAL graphics....

That's my '73!

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:29pm

Here is a sketch of my design, there is no top view since I am still working on the interior layout. Here are the quick specs
loa 19'
beam 6" 91"
sub 2500lb weight wet
10 gal "tournament" bow tank in addition to standard tank
rumble seat style bow seating rather than a traditional open bow, this allows the clean lines of the closed bow design to be maintained
engine foundation is designed around using a small tdi engine.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:43pm
That's a cool looking boat.

I like the rumble seat idea.

TDI, being like a diesel?

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:45pm
Sweet design! Looks great. Much cooler than the MC in your original post.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 9:43pm
what would "rumble seating" mean?

Just a thought but keep the stern lines simple and practical, I think the new boats have too many steps or tweaks, adds complexity to the material overlay, use more of it, are harder to finish and pull out of the mold and end up costing more to the customer too. This a trend nowadays but in the water simpler is better IMHO.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 9:50pm
Lots of bling on that boat,but that is not much appreciated here. Post it again in about thirty years, it may be ahead of its time. of course it still wont be a cc.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 10:56pm
Very cool Matt and thanks for sharing-really!

I have a theory on boats like that though. Most of the folks on this site are into skilled watersports as well as their boats. Most are super decent folk too. All too often when I see a boat like that coming, it's full of spoiled kids slinging tubes and beers, and making general arses of themselves. Maybe that's the negative association some make regardless of brand? Chances are equal that I'm FOS, so...   

Any hull design ideas/mods you'd like to share with us suits me fine.   

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 11:22pm
I think Matt that part of the complaints come from the fact that your pictures are out of water shots.Even your drawing above,which I think has nice lines shows how it would sit in the water.People like sausage,they don't like seeing it made.People like wakeboard boats,I guess they don't want to see how it makes that wake I personally don't like the hard chine lines toward the rear of my Mustang,but when it's in it's element who knows-

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 11:45pm
Matt,
Now that design is COOL!! only thing that WOULD make it cooler is posted below......

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-09-2011 at 11:45pm

Now we're talkin...!!!!!!!!

( I am actually proud I even figured out how to do that!).

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 12:38am
62 wood - That is freaking awesome.

Matt, you have a good eye and skills with the CAD. I also like your out-of-the-box thinking about powerplants. A low soft wake would be even lower and softer if we could get more power and torque out of a smaller package than a big American V8 design. Turbos, alternate fuels, direct injection... you're thinking smart there.

-------------

Posted By: Nautiquehunter
Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 12:39am
Do you have any idea what the X Star will cost?

Posted By: P71_CrownVic
Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 12:51am
Funny...the new CC wakeboard boats look just as gaudy...yet, they are liked.

For me...gaudy is gaudy. I'll take my '86 any day over that MC or the comparable CC.

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 1:53am
Yea but This is even better

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yea but This is even better

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 1:59am
I think I see a pattern here

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 2:01am

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 2:51am
North of 100K as the base

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 2:54am
Actually that design is intended for my own company. I am also into boat building using advanced composites, and advanced methods. Companies like CC or MC are too well established and have too many different models to introduce things like cored hulls, infusion, prepreg laminates etc.

The whole idea is that a lighter boat requires less power, fuel, and resources in general.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 2:55am
any thread that includes "more adult like" and "wrap your tool" has got to be good.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 3:05am
Matt, is your name on the hull somewhere? Do you know where it is? You should really get a picture of you standing next to your name. :)

If you watch this video you'll see that the "transformers" theme isn't too far off. The seats flip, stow, sit forward or backward, there is a new clamping system for boards... and the dash is, well, you have to see it. I hope they waterproofed everything well with ALL those electronics and motors and such. The disappointing thing about the video is that they don't show the wake.

http://www.mastercraft.com/company/news/542 - Master Craft Announcment

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 3:15am
Yeah its on there near the rub rail on the bow. I wish I could have been there but I had to attend to things for school and the local Society of Naval Architects this weekend. I asked one of the engineers to get a picture of it for me.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 3:19am
That's just cool. Neat idea for MC to do that for everybody who worked on the boat.

So - what exactly did you work on? Hull design? Which part?

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 3:25am
I did the stability and hydrostatic calcs for the boat, weight study, and most of the 2d detail drawings. The Naval Architect that they have on staff did the 3d lofting of the hull and what not but some of my ideas were incorporated into the design.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 11:08am
Matt, your boat sounds like a lot of the same ideas Epic had when they started out, but looks much better. I have a friend who has one and although it's way too 'stripped down' even when compared to my 93 it does exactly what it is supposed to do. Looking at the current specs I think they have gone away from the original lay up because the boats don't seem to have any more things added, but the listed weight is up a lot. I always thought that was one of the coolest things about those boats, they really did weigh about the same as my Excel, my friend tows it to the ramp with a little H3 and you don't even notice your pulling a boat.

Having spent some time in a fully loaded Xstar, the wake is absolutely amazing, so was the gas bill. Interesting to see they are trying to keep the wake and reduce the gas bill with hull design, instead of adding a wake plate and diesel engine.

The interior is definitely more 'Nautique' like with the flip up and the reversible seats. The orange basketball color is god awful, but that's probably more for the show I hope.

I'll stick to my small boat though for one simple reason, when I get out in those big ones I have to wait to long for my turn. They're fun and have amazing wakes and all kinds of other creature comforts, but it can take a whole afternoon for everyone to get a turn. I'd much rather do without all that, spend a half day out and every one in the boat can ride until they're to tired to ride anymore and we still have half a tank of gas.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 11:49am
CCF guys - would the 2001 hull qualify as a double chine because of the spray relief pockets? Just wondering what the exact definition is.

Matt - I like how you rolled-in the stern corners on your design - reminds me of a barrel back woodie. Good luck on your endevour, hope to see it at a boat show someday.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 1:22pm
The spray pocket doesn't really function as a double chine is defined. A double chine hull is designed to avoid reattachment of the spray to the upper chine at high speed, whereas with a ski boat with a spray pocket that is opposite of what you want it to do.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 6:28pm
Jeeze Matt (good name BTW), you sure know how to roll in style:

If I offended you in any way, I do apologize. While I am not a fan of ANY of the pro wakeboard boats made today, I can appreciate a good bit of engineering.

If you ever do another intern for any inboard boat company, encourage them to get back to proper sounding boats (like our '86s). The new ones sound like vacuum cleaners.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

CCF guys - would the 2001 hull qualify as a double chine because of the spray relief pockets? Just wondering what the exact definition is.

The 2001 doesnt have spray relief pockets (they were added in 1990 on the NWZ hull). Youre referring to the "tapered chine" that was introduced on the 2001. Id like to hear more about what effects that has on performance, theoretically.

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

The 2001 doesnt have spray relief pockets (they were added in 1990 on the NWZ hull). Youre referring to the "tapered chine" that was introduced on the 2001. Id like to hear more about what effects that has on performance, theoretically.

Whatever they did to the hull was nothing short of amazing. Having just been on the Mississippi and caught in the wash of TWO barges (and the massive rollers that go along with it), I can tell you that NO water came up over the nose and the boat was dry.

On the St Croix, I have to deal with waves from boats like these:

And the boat stays dry. The ride is also very good considering this is a low-slung inboard ski boat.

What CC did is nothing short of amazing...in my opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 9:59pm
Youre referring to the ones that are molded into the running surface?

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 10:01pm
The mfg's have to continue to move towards quieter and quieter boats if they wish to sell in the European markets. MC's boats are all certified to a standard in Austria for lakes in Avalanche prone areas. I believe it was 72db at 150 drive by they had to pass.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-10-2011 at 11:10pm
a tapered chine is a shape on the chines so air is trapped below the hull generating lift and reducing friction.

I think most if not all modern boats have them.

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 1:26am
That is a reverse or negative chine.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 2:10pm
my bad, so how does a tapered chine work?

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 2:19pm

That is a reverse or negative chine.

No, I'm talking about a tapered chine. CC has used them since the 2001 hull. Not all other ski boat manufacturers use them. You can see them pretty clearly here on my '90.

To my knowledge, CC has used a reverse chine on every glass hull they've made, with the exception of the 1st gen SN (which got spray rails).

1st gen SN:

-------------

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 4:04pm
You can call it either I suppose, but it is also referred to as a spray pocket, it is just a small upper chine where the spray is allowed to reattach to the hull to deflect it out away from the boat.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 4:14pm

You can call it either I suppose, but it is also referred to as a spray pocket, it is just a small upper chine where the spray is allowed to reattach to the hull to deflect it out away from the boat.

No, theres definitely a difference between a reverse chine and a tapered chine (see pictures above). CC also used/uses spray relief pockets that are another animal- they reside completely below the chine.

http://correctcraftfan.com/reference/1990_brochure/index.asp?page=08 - Spray Relief Pockets from 1990 brochure

-------------

Posted By: 89Martinique
Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 4:39pm
i like the old graphics like you the new ones are too busy the old ones are far superior

-------------
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 6:21pm
I wasnt referring to a reverse chine and a spray pocket (like the ones on a 2001, early 90's CC or 90's - current MC's) as the same thing. I was referring to calling a tapered chine and a spray pocket the same thing.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 6:50pm
so what are all of these and what purpose do they serve?

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 6:59pm
Purpose of what? The boat?

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 7:15pm
the chines/spraypockets or whatever on the hull---why so many? does each have a purpose? at a different speed or?

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 9:32pm
Yeah as the displacement is increased there is a corresponding increase in lifting surface.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 10:36pm

Yeah as the displacement is increased there is a corresponding increase in lifting surface.

Please expound on this since we do have members who may not understand displacement and lifting surfaces. BTW, to me, they are totally different!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 10:47pm
The boat has multiple chines, as you can see in the photo. This means as the boat sinks deeper in the water due to added ballast there is a corresponding increase in the number of lift generating surfaces (i.e. the reason that there are multiple chines). This means that the boat has more surfaces to generate lift to offset the added weight.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 10:58pm
So, Actually what you're trying to say is, It's a coefficient of correlation between variables of drag and lift in a displaceable current.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:06pm

This means that the boat has more surfaces to generate lift to offset the added weight.

Ok now I'm confused. If you want to offset the added weight, why not just not put in so much weight that it needs offset. The wake is created by the larger displacement, so if the multichine arrangement is to create lift to reduce the displacement, then why not reduce the weight instead of make a complex hull design?

Alan, you sound like that guy talking about the transmission that was posted a couple weeks ago.

-------------

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:11pm
More so you can get 10,000lbs of boat moving in less than a month, I guess I should have explained the region that we wanted to create more lift.

-------------
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Date Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:22pm
Hahahaha!   Larry, I'm just as confused.
If you want to increase lifting surface, it would be a flatbottom.

Which trans thread?   I was discussing a 10-17-202.

Print Page | Close Window