Print Page | Close Window

so my tranny is toast, new tranny is here!

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23868
Printed Date: September-25-2024 at 8:16am

Topic: so my tranny is toast, new tranny is here!
Posted By: kapla
Subject: so my tranny is toast, new tranny is here!
Date Posted: October-17-2011 at 2:36pm
Sort of saw this day was coming eventually!

I been leaving in borrowed time with the tranny and this saturday it showed it first signs of wear!
Its slipping under load...if you are easy on the throtle its fine, but when you hammer it it slips a bit then it pairs up....I experience it first with some ballast (1 750lb sac in the back)..then with no ballast and on takeoff and me on the boom doing barefoot....
I checked tranny fluid and its in level, no leaks, no burnt smell that i can tell, no water, etc...tranny was not hot to the touch....

I say borrowed time as I had some drag on the reverse, I would put in reverse and then to neutral and it kept in reverse.... Its been working with this for the last 2 years.

Now looking at the prices of the spares parts I might need to change and labor here, looks like the best option might be getting a new unit...
still need to do some research....
and this when we are almost at the beginig of the season

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Replies:
Posted By: Jllogan
Date Posted: October-17-2011 at 2:40pm
what about eric?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5792&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1986 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-17-2011 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

what about eric?

I think the shipping, duty and brokerage charges would be a "killer".

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: cbr1000dude
Date Posted: October-17-2011 at 2:57pm
It's probably toasted but there are 2 things I would try first.
Where the cooler return line enters the trans at the bottom drivers side there in a wire mesh filter inside. Remove that line, unscrew the housing (need a 1 1/8 wrench), and the whole assembly will come out with just your finger. If it's full of clutch parts or metal, forget it, you need it rebuilt. If it's clean, try flushing the tranny with several quarts of type F fluid (no friction modifiers), you can blow it through with compressed air at the filler and out the bottom into a pan.
Button it up and add 2 quarts of type F. Might get you through for a while. Worked for me for 10 hours use so far, and mine had water in from a bad tranny cooler.. Yes I will send it to Eric before next summer.

Date Posted: October-17-2011 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

what about eric?

I think the shipping, duty and brokerage charges would be a "killer".

exactly!!!

-------------

Date Posted: October-17-2011 at 3:18pm
in the event i decide for a new unit..I was wondering if with the care of being easy on the throtle..could I continue using it like this? Or there´s a chance to evolve into a complete no fwd in a sudden?

This week I will inspect the cooler and do a fluid change....

-------------

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: October-17-2011 at 9:47pm
Seb, I already spoke with Marcelo to get you a price quote on a new one.

Have you contacted Barrera?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Posted By: skicat2001
Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 12:36am
Seb, sorry to hear your lose there bro. Hope everything gets fixed right.

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 1:46am
for what Ive read looks like the forward drum is craked, so the fluid change doesn´t look like it will work,
out it will go to the local tranny shop to get a quote....but i´m not sure so as they charge for inspecting it if you don´t accept the quote....and as a referece for rebuilt cost I have Lucho experience, he was charged around $2500 for doing a velvet from a moomba, all new seal, gaskets etc....
local dealer quoted me a new tranny around 6k!!!!
if I do the import I can have it in my door for around 3k....in 10-15 day...

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 2:12am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

as a referece for rebuilt cost I have Lucho experience, he was charged around $2500 for doing a velvet from a moomba, all new seal, gaskets etc....

Correction, it was a ZF 45D 1:1 and it was more like U$D2800.

It seem parts for these ZF are pretty high on price compared to the Velvet's.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 7:39am
Thats bad news Kapla with the summer not far away. Tranny problems are a nightmare for us OS customers as the knowledge base of the local repair shops have no comparison to someone like Eric who does one or two every day compared to one or two every year. I remember Eric saying that the PCM transmission parts are the most overpriced. Not the news you probably wanted to hear.

Not sure if I would disassemble and send pics to Eric so he could help diagnose and send the required parts and info or just order a new unit.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 10:08am
buy a new loaded drum........easily can walk Luch thru this one.
are there taxes if you right warranty on the boxes? ship it as a warranty unit
sorry write

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 11:44am
The problem is this country, laws and regulations are never so clear, you could go many ways on this one, but you'd never be sure you will end up getting it through customs and if not you already invested some dough, We discussed it with Kapla, initial investment is U$D1700, best case scenario you get it out of customs with another U$D1700-2000, so final price around U$D3600s.
The guys with the "connections" could get you one out for U$D4500.

so the price difference ends up on U$D900, what would you do?

We have 2 Volvo exhaust manifolds on customs, customers had to leave them there and ended up buying overpriced locally. Could not get them out and lost the investment.

We are trying to price one through the new Nautique dealer, Eric how much would the drum cost? how much does it weight?

edit: the numbers above are not exact but were set as an example of the situation. No animals were harmed during this post.

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 3:33pm
a loaded drum as the drum and the clutch assy? and of course the gasket set....and seals?
around $800 in parts only US price.....local price por those part can sometimes be double or triple, depends where you buy them. Then there´s the warranty issue, If you provide the parts to the shop they might not warrant the job. But they kill you with the price of the parts they provide...same parts

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 3:41pm
so i´m not sure what to do.....
geez...
If i order a new one I can recup some money by selling the old unit as core...I could get around 700-1000 in this crazy country!

my tranny was not the one that came in hte boat, it was replaced by a rebuilt unit and lasted 8 years, 1200hrs, it oil changed every 100hrs.

firts unit also quit around 1100 hours being 300 mine and the rest from the PO..so service history prior to my purchase is unkown..Boat was abused some! this one had a broken pump.

so looks like they have service life of around 1200? or its just lottery?

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 3:55pm

so looks like they have service life of around 1200? or its just lottery?

I would bet that how well it was cared for- oil changes, alignment, etc as well as how hard it was run would be greater influences on life expectancy than "luck of the draw". Neither you nor the previous owner ran your boat with hefty ballast, right?

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 5:00pm
around 2klb ballast ain´t that much...

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 6:04pm
If I opt for a new unit...buying new oil lines and a cooler is a must? or can I reuse my old stuf....which is in good shape? anyway its not that expensive those parts

-------------

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 6:29pm

around 2klb ballast ain´t that much...

Yep, 1200 hours seems about right then...

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 7:26pm

Sort of coming!

I been leaving in borrowed time with the tranny and this saturday it showed it first signs of wear!
Its sipping load...if you are easy on the throte its fine, but when you hammer it it sips a bit....I fist with some ball sac in the back..then with no balls and me bare....
I checked tranny and it leaks, no smell that i can tell...tranny was hot to touch....

I say borrowed time as I had some drag I would put on and kept working with this for the last 2 years.

Now looking at the prices of a new unit...
still need to do some research....
and this when we are almost at the beginig of the season

you have a cross dressing season? quinner does it all year

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 7:48pm
you got me!

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 8:11pm
drum 326.00 clutch kit 200.00 seal and gasket 186.00
what happens when you guys purchase from E-bay?
my suggestion of writing warranty on the box and paperwork normally will let it slide thru customs

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 8:13pm
a new cooler and lines wouldnt hurt, cheap insurance

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 8:14pm
we do know people at DIM, would a ghost invoice help? credit card the transaction possibly?

-------------

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: October-18-2011 at 10:53pm
Can someone hand carry your parts across customs in a suitcase? In my world shipping experience, what comes in the suitcase and is hand carried in will be seen in a much different light than items that are shipped.    Kind of a crazy idea, but since there is a lack of expertise in your area, a "vacation" for Eric where he brings the parts with him might be cheaper than getting the parts shipped...   you would also be sure it's done well, and be confident in the "shop" doing the work.

Date Posted: October-19-2011 at 9:43am
you cant let a kid like me loose in a candy store

-------------

Date Posted: October-19-2011 at 7:44pm
been doing some more research....and looks like a new one will be the option..I´m working on shipping quotes.
Looks like dim has the best price @ $1550...so I might buy them from them.
Still waiting from other option.
Once I make the purchase it will take 15 days to get here...

-------------

Date Posted: October-20-2011 at 9:58am
wish i had one laying around to send ya, 40 empty cases and no drums, like i said the parts are a killer.
Kap, not all drums crack, it could just need a freshening up, nice soft pliable o-rings do wonders.
would Luch be willing to tear into it? its unusual to see a trans with your hours with a cracked drum, more prevalent in lower hour boats. there are times when you can go thru these transmissions with a seal and gasket kit and clutches, all it takes is one good slip and if you glaze the clutches they wont hold, that may too be a possibilty

-------------

Date Posted: October-20-2011 at 10:58am
Eric, Kapla's 200 milles away and has the one or two specialized shops in town, I offered him assitance in taking it out and putting it back in the boat. I dont know if I'd want my first tranny to be a friend's... or I do?
but as he's still unsure what he will do with this unit because of the potential price of parts. I suggested him getting a new unit as well. Then if He wants to tear into it just for curiosity i'd be all in!

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: October-20-2011 at 4:03pm
Eric

I had parts quoted locally and I can tell you prices are high! gasket set $490, complete clutch assy around $900, there you go with the $1400 in parts, add $600 in labour the shop takes to do the tear down, clean, parts replacement etc, etc...and you are in the 2k...then if the drum is cracked another $900, and if the pump is shot, another $900...so the bill is up to $3600....
I could save some money buying the parts in the US but i would have to buy all parts needed including the drum and pump, just in case.. you ..know ...in that case I would end up paying around 1200 net in parts if I get someone to bring them in their luggage without paying taxes, or around 1800-2000 if I have them shipped and pay taxes...labours of course if fixed so I end up again around 2000-2500 for a rebuilt unit....Time is also a factor....If I order the parts I have to wait around 10 days to have them here and another 10 days in the shop for a rebuilt....

So the new unit looks like the best option..and I get to play with the old tranny, even with more time..I could have it diagnosed by you, buy the needed parts there and then sell it as a rebuilt unit...
For reference a PCM 1:1 is $4500, A velvet in the 3600-4000 range as they are more common here.

-------------

Date Posted: October-20-2011 at 4:07pm
I was wondering If i could use the boat in this condition at leat to cruise around until the new unit arrives?
Its only slipping under heavy load, normal cruising is fine.

I plan on doing a fluid change anyway as it was in the schedule around these dates...

-------------

Date Posted: October-21-2011 at 9:47am
well your in a predicament, we know the end result will be a new trans, some straight 40 weight would probably be the best route, and, I shouldnt say this, a half a can of trans sealer only to swell the seals a bit. this goes against everything i preach, but this may be a case to where it warrants the use of an additive to get you the 10 or so days you need until you get a new trans. the damage is done and you are replacing with new. using the 40 weight should keep the packs held. make sure you order a damper also

-------------

Date Posted: October-21-2011 at 4:24pm
Should have read this before..lol I replace the atf fluid and put some new one there....I took out 2 quarts, and in the bottom of the bottle you could see some tiny metal flakes, golden, so it brass. Put 2 quarts and went for a test...now its worst, it will go forward but once you want to give it plane it start slipping, then it engages slips etc....
On the damper plate, I put a new one when I did the engine back in 2009, and have put around 150hrs since...really need to put a new one again? if so the PCM is the one? pricey at $180, or you carry and alternate I could get from you?

-------------

Date Posted: October-21-2011 at 5:05pm
never heard of a tranny sealer lol is this the product?
http://www.barsproducts.com/4502.htm - rislone

-------------

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: October-21-2011 at 9:26pm
Kapla why not give it a try the damage is already done. I wonder what the brass/gold flakes are? Eric clutch pack or pump wear?

You have convinced me to go the same way if God forbid I ever have trans problems. Order a new unit from the US at least we have a free trade agreement with the US and the Australian government will only put a 10% consumption tax on the price. If it was marked as a gift they sneak through without. Have never heard of the warranty one though. Maybe worth a try though as giving my wife a transmission for the boat as a gift would be a worse idea than any tax the government could impose.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-21-2011 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Maybe worth a try though as giving my wife a transmission for the boat as a gift would be a worse idea than any tax the government could impose.

Would it be wrong for her to give it to you?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:09am
fooled many a Coast Gaurd inspectors with thicker oil, the brass in the bottem is from the slippage, try the thicker oil

-------------

Date Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:13am

-------------

Date Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:17am
the thing about these drums cracking is with the return spring installed it will hold the hub into the drum tight and many a crack have been missed because of this, more than once guys have decided to rebuild (which some dont understand the term) they pull the trans, tear it down, new clutches, seal and gasket kit, re-assemble, take it to the lake with their buds, hit and smoke it again

-------------

Date Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:23am
what may be happening to your trans is when you put the boat in forward the oil pressure in the drum spreads the crack and leaks, this goes back to the old pool theory I came up with a few years back, oil volume is down and the pressure drops, this would be considered an internal leak which some dont understand the meaning. like i said many times clutch plates do not wear, they need a reason and a good example would be the Caterpillar transmission I did, 30 years old digging its entire life with abusive operators, I could still read the etchings on the faces of the bronze plates and still see the blanche grind marks on the steel seperator plates and I opted not to replace the plates and savred the customer about 3k, Cat wouldve automatically replaced them

-------------

Date Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:32am

-------------

Date Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:34am
this drum is a result of water in the oil, you can see the slop in the cast iron seal ring, the seal rings wear into the case and expand and it is impossible to remove the drum without breaking it, at this point normally i have to sleeve the case and install a new drum

-------------

Date Posted: October-22-2011 at 12:31pm
to clear up something, bottom, through, my sub conscience does my spellin

-------------

Date Posted: October-24-2011 at 9:35pm
I´m pulling the trigger tomorrow, but need to confirm something. Eric
you menction getting a new damper plate. The one I have now is only 180hrs old, was replaced 2 years ago when i rebuilt the engine. I really need to put a new one again?

-------------

Date Posted: October-24-2011 at 11:40pm
Let me venture an answer, but I dont think you'd need one, and in case you do, Bettiga sells some great ones with rubber bushings instead of springs, I think those are quite better but some machining might be required on the damper before install.

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-01-2011 at 9:04pm
well I ordered a new tranny along with a new cooler, impeller, some gaskets..and a new carb!
I should arrive here in 15-20 days....

To kill some time, i might go ahead and remove the tranny and take it appart to inspect its condition.

-------------

Date Posted: November-01-2011 at 9:36pm

To kill some time, i might go ahead and remove the tranny and take it appart to inspect its condition.

Seb,
Yes, pull it apart and find out what's going on with it. We and I'm sure Eric would love to know.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-01-2011 at 9:50pm
dont forget the steering cable!! It adds a tremendous sense of thrill to pull your barefoot runs!

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-02-2011 at 12:18am
lol

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2011 at 10:28am
Luch, im having a prob now with the rubber bushing dampers, not me, but my customer, he removed the spring type and went with the bush type and is on his second one because of a noise, i believe his was spec'd wrong. the rubber or nylon can be the wrong material and be to hard for the application, so if you opt to go with a bushing, which i dont think you can with a PCM trans, then be careful

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2011 at 10:30am
your probably fine with 180 hours, but, use it as a spare?

-------------

Posted By: mdvalant
Date Posted: November-02-2011 at 12:46pm
My buddy went nautique recovering after the lake delhi dam breach over this weekend...He found his old 92, the top shell was pretty much ripped off, still has some running gear, no carb but the tranny is there..I told him a I have friend in ARG that would love it...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5009 - '90 Ski (sold)
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5479 - '00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Date Posted: November-02-2011 at 3:04pm
poor boat!

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2011 at 1:13am
Eric, I installed a rubber one in the Moomba, GM 350 and ZF45D, it has performed good so far, at least no complaints, I'd hate to pull that thing apart again...

We also installed one in a Volvo turbo diesel 160hp with a 280 leg.

The spring ones are getting scarce down here, where did your customer install it?

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-03-2011 at 9:39am
on the back of the flywheel

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2011 at 9:43am
you asked, lol, its on a fishing boat I believe, the customer who did the install did say it was the replacement from Mercury, its a zf630a, which is gear to gear contact unlike the straight 450d,
it had a spring damper and was replaced with the rubber type as instructed from merc.

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2011 at 10:22pm
I know the ZF dealer in Argentina is installing those... I will ask about the bushing hardness as Im working on a 4.3 conversion for inboard installation and we'd be putting another rubber damper.

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-04-2011 at 10:12am
I guess you didnt like my joke

-------------

Date Posted: November-04-2011 at 10:52am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

on the back of the flywheel

sorry I missed that one,

Yesterday I was pulling the plugs on a EX, you know the firing order?
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 right? U$D250 an OEM plug set... what a steal!!!! (AC delco Iridium)

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-04-2011 at 8:23pm
30 bucks a plug!!! WTF we are getting ripped with spares parts!!!

Call that mark up!! 5X the cost!

-------------

Date Posted: November-04-2011 at 9:46pm
32 per piece, cost is 90 for the set on skidim, you do the maths...

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-16-2011 at 4:28pm
Update:

I´m picking up the tranny today afternoon after work...pictures to come with the goodies.
Then I will need to paint the tranny.

then make some time to work on the boat...hope to have ti ready by next week....

updates soon.

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2011 at 4:30pm
any break in required for the new tranny? or just add fluid and go boating?

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2011 at 11:45pm
new carb

new tranny

made in italy!
and its actually 1:1.258

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2011 at 9:30am
now why the f is it a 1.1258...Im afraid you got a Monday built transmission

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2011 at 9:32am
actually, it looks as if you have the different back end and they may have started manufacturing a differet gear set
Joe had a pic once of the different Back end and i believe it was cast iron? Kap, put a magnet to the Backend and see if it sticks

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2011 at 9:41pm
yes is cast, looks like the new desing allows the back end to be used on both tranny, the 1.23 and the 1:1

tranny is now painted to match the engine...

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2011 at 10:17pm

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 8:21am
Ready to install!

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 9:51am
no on the 1:1 case, completely different, when i talk about case breakage it is normally the back ends of the older style PCM 1.23'3, they were aluminum and something had to justify changing them to cast iron, there is alot of gear spread force on these ass ends and i have seen on some hard hits it breaking the back section off...these are the ones you dont want to slide hammer the coupling off, not that i ever use a slide hammer at all on any trans

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 9:53am
Kap, you gonna tear the other one apart soon?

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 11:36am
how hard is tearing it apart? is it possible then to put it back toghether or requires certain tools?
I´d like to sell it as is, telling its need to be rebuilt, but I don´t know if the potential buyer would like it assembled or opened and all parts in a box? At least uppon dissasemble I would accurately diagnose the needed rebuilt parts (with your help)...
I´m not the one that like to bag and tags every single bolt, so putting it back together might be a puzzle..lol

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 12:26pm
Seb, congratulations on getting your new parts, I saw your missing call later on wed, I was on Mdq surfing (getting spanked by the sea waves), I will be on B.A. by tomorrow afternoon, plan to stay until monday early morning then head back to Rosario unless you need/want any help assembling the boat then I can reschedule and stay for the day to lend you a hand.

As for the trans, I think it's better to sell it as it is. A box of parts isnt worth a dime.

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 12:38pm
WE gathering would be nice...at least for some cold ones...can´t work on the boat during the WE in the marina...suckers!
I will be ready on wednesday to work there...but I think I have it covered..anyway thanks....
Call me when you get to BA...
right now the box its for sale @ ML....
the carb will go for sale also! any interest?

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 1:50pm
Does this different variation on the Power Plus maintain the same out put one as the previous 1:23. In other words, will the motor and stuff have to be tilted to a great degree, or just typical alignment?

Also, is this going to affect the propeller being used?

Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 2:02pm
hope not lol..actually its marketed as a 1.123...i don´t think that minimal change makes any differece...
I recall seeing some crate engines at the dealer some years ago with this same tranny, with the same reduction...it caught my attention by then...
last time i went to the dealer to ask about the spare parts to repair my tranny, they had a EX343 ready to drop in with a 1:1 tranny.....
They asked 4500 for the tranny alone (1:1) and if they were to sell a 1.23 they would have to quote aroun 6k!
I got mine new, along with the carb and the cooler, impeller and some gaskets for $3800 total....not bad! and can recoup some if i sell the old tranny and carb...rough estimate i could get around 1k for both parts....

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 2:30pm
You're probably right, just figured I'd throw the prop question out there.

Date Posted: November-18-2011 at 3:07pm
lets see if the experts can comment on the thing!

-------------

Date Posted: November-23-2011 at 9:38pm
Eric just got off the phone with Kapla, I'm not 100% sure the PCM circulates oil as the BW does, by this I mean oil inlet from cooler below and oil outlet to cooler above on the tranny case. Can you confirm?

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-23-2011 at 10:54pm
front cover side of transmission is oil flow out, top of transmission is oil from cooler going back into trans

-------------

Date Posted: November-23-2011 at 10:57pm
this is opposite to the warners right?

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-24-2011 at 12:32am
wow long day I´m tired...spent 11 hours on the install and yet not finished....
everything was going fine, had the tranny installed by noon..I was adjusting the last bolt (the one that holds the trans cable bracket)..and suddenly it started to turn loose, I stripped the thread...damn...put a longer bolt to see if y could find good threado to bite, no go.
Ended up calling a guy who does helicoil inserts, did all 4 bolts, just to be safe, didn´t want another one to strip. Once I got the solved i was able to put everything back together.
Then I started the alligment but couldn´t finish it as it was dusk and I was busted....
I did some help calls to Eric, and Lucho
Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: November-24-2011 at 12:44am
this is how it was intalled prior dissasemble

the hose from the side goes to the top entry of the cooler, the hose from the top enters to the bottom side of the cooler...

is this the correct way?

-------------

Date Posted: November-24-2011 at 2:01am
According to the oil flow explanation Eric gave, I think your hoses are switched.

Oil flow through the cooler should be opposite to water flow.

I hadnt noticed the front / side fitting, I thought it had one down in the case and other on top as the BW. So totally different configurations.

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-24-2011 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Oil flow through the cooler should be opposite to water flow.

Correct as this maintains the max delta "T" which in turn will give you the best cooling efficiency.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-24-2011 at 10:24am
if your water goes into the bottem of the cooler then you have it plumbed correctly.
11 hours? sounds like the guy i just fired lol, once in a while with inspiration, and my premium i need some money quick fee, i'll have a Borg out, rebuilt and back in by 3:00 that afternoon with an 8:00 am start time...skipping lunch of course.

-------------

Date Posted: November-24-2011 at 10:29am
Luch, yes it is opposite,
PCM carry charge (pack) pressure thru the cooler, 120 lbs or so
Borg, carries cascading oil, whatever is left gets dumped into the cooler, under slight pressure,
if you look closely at the pcm circuit, the hose comes right off of a port from the pump to the valve, the borg goes to the valve first then to the hose

-------------

Date Posted: November-24-2011 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

if your water goes into the bottem of the cooler then you have it plumbed correctly.
11 hours? sounds like the guy i just fired lol, once in a while with inspiration, and my premium i need some money quick fee, i'll have a Borg out, rebuilt and back in by 3:00 that afternoon with an 8:00 am start time...skipping lunch of course.

ERR looks like I´been running it for a while with the wrong cooling set up....water was entering at top, and leaving bottom...
Well now is the time to put it correctly!.

-------------

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: November-25-2011 at 1:18am
Grab the girls and hurry up!

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Date Posted: November-25-2011 at 1:37am
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24091&PID=305783&title=1978-nautique-mechanical-refurbishment#305783 - another bad cooler install??

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-25-2011 at 10:35am
once in a great while......i gotta a mind fart, Kap do me a favor and fire the boat with the lines loose, i dont know why but after seeing the pic Luch posted, i maybe fcn wrong.....Ive done it hundred times but cant remember which port it comes out....I maybe thinking about the 450 d. damn, im just unsure

-------------

Date Posted: November-25-2011 at 10:38am
I always loop the hose to test them and never pay attention, the best thing to do is fire the boat, pull the hoses and it will come out of one of them and that is cooler out.

-------------

Date Posted: November-25-2011 at 2:08pm
Lucho
I was going to refer to that picture lol!

Eric, If I fire the engine with the lines detached, won´t it start pucking fluid all over?

Probably it was plumber the right way always, I can see a not so clear picture en the manual and it seems to be plumbed the same way.

-------------

Date Posted: November-25-2011 at 2:37pm
someone should post a PCM tranny manual..non available in the reference section.

-------------

Date Posted: November-25-2011 at 10:07pm
The pic on the PCM manual is from a BW, there's no reference there to the PCM trans.

Kap, yes fluid will spill, so you better have a towel close!

-------------

Commander 351W

Date Posted: November-26-2011 at 9:14am
No, im sure the pic is from a pcm its tim 90 nautique actually, so it must be a pcm...

-------------

Date Posted: November-26-2011 at 11:10am
the oil comes out very slow, just start it long enough to see where it comes out

-------------

Date Posted: November-28-2011 at 6:19pm
Finally it was well conected, oil exits from top of tranny...
Saturday i finished the connectios with the help of a friend and went for a test drive...
Perfect...
Back in the water!!!! Uuuhuuu...

-------------

Date Posted: November-28-2011 at 6:27pm
AHHHHH good to hear

-------------

Date Posted: November-28-2011 at 6:53pm

Print Page | Close Window