Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2405
Printed Date: June-23-2024 at 3:31pm

Topic: windshield fabrication
Posted By: Lazarus II
Subject: windshield fabrication
Date Posted: September-08-2005 at 8:10am
Hey all im doing my best to resurrect my 79 SN and i dont have a complete windshield, the desire to cough up the big bux for a re-pro, nor the patience to scour the globe looking for a used one for too much money. That said, i have 2 options; 1)rock out with no windshield (not crazy 'bout that one) or 2)
construct one myself. My thought is to make a two piece windshield out of bent 3/8" or 1/2" plexiglass. Im not worried about actually making it, no problem, I just wondered if anyone else has done this or has any useful thoughts on the matter. Any pics would be great.

Thanx in advance
Zack

-------------
Going fast never hurt a soul, its the sudden stops that get ya!!!!!!
79 Ski Nautique

Replies:
Posted By: David F
Date Posted: September-08-2005 at 1:04pm
Someone posted that a wrecked '74 is being auctioned. Windshield would probably be similiar if not exact.

Not meaning to sound rude, but a home made plexiglass windshield would look like crud, regardless of your talents. A good clean (factory) windsheild is key in making any old boat look good.

Posted By: hyper1685
Date Posted: September-13-2005 at 8:40pm
my windshield shattered last year. i put Lexan in its place until i can find a replacment. the lexan has held up well.

Chris

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=651&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990 - My Boat

Posted By: neal.west
Date Posted: December-20-2005 at 12:50pm
Windshield was probably made by Taylor Made. Check their website, they may have the exact glass. They were very helpful when I replace all the molding in mine last winter.

Posted By: Rick
Date Posted: December-27-2005 at 8:12pm
Rancho Marine recycling may have the trim and windshield you need It's in Rancho Cordoba, Ca near Sacramento.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=250&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000%20" rel="nofollow - 2000 Ski

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: December-27-2005 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

Rancho Marine recycling may have the trim and windshield you need It's in Rancho Cordoba, Ca near Sacramento.

The place to which Rick refers has a website as well - www.boatrecycling.com. If believe
it's actually Rancho Cordova. Anyway, check out the site, you can get a phone number from there.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: wakemaniac
Date Posted: May-30-2006 at 2:37am
I used 3/16" thick lexan, I could have probably used 1/4". It's quite easy to fabricate, start with a cardboard template and fit that to the frame, then cut your lexan a little bit larger than the cardboard template and trim to fit. I used and angle grinder with a zip disk to cut the lexan, super easy to do, just be careful of the fumes, they're kinda nasty to say the least. When you're done and it fits perfect, take the lexan out one last time and trace it onto another piece of cardboard and save the template for the next time.

Print Page | Close Window