Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25454
Printed Date: October-05-2024 at 6:32pm

Topic: 1973 Skier Project
Posted By: kaizenkid
Subject: 1973 Skier Project
Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 12:58am
New to forum so please let me know if I make mistakes, etc.

Just purchased a 1973 Skier in pretty decent shape. It seems to have the 273 Chrysler engine with a Eddlebrock 4 barrel carb. It had been sitting for 2 years but we got it to start right up using a remote fuel tank. Looks like I need to do the following:

- Rebuild alternator.
- Full detail, wet sand, etc.
- Change all fluids.
- Adjust speedo, fuel gauge.

I guess I have a couple of questions. Boat came with a teak platform that seems added. I have thought about removing and putting in a ladder to be more "classic". The platform seems to slow the boat down? I plan to use the boat for low speed "scurfing" 12-15 mph on a small lake and the platform may be nice.

Also, I would really like to "dress up" the engine. Is it possible to paint without removing from boat? Maybe new valve covers, etc.? Any good sources for parts? I am converting the points to elec. ignition.

The boat seems slow, I am used to a 94. Thinking about buying a new Acme prop but don't know which one is ideal for this boat? The previous owner gave me 4 props but I don;t think any of them are "ideal". Would like to sell those 4 props and buy the right prop?

Just looking for any help, thanks.

KC

-------------
1973 Skier

Replies:
Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 2:36am
Boat came with a teak platform that seems added. I have thought about removing and putting in a ladder to be more "classic". The platform seems to slow the boat down? I plan to use the boat for low speed "scurfing" 12-15 mph on a small lake and the platform may be nice.

It was added. I dont think it would slow the boat down. I like the original idea but the platform makes it much easier to get in and out of the boat.

Also, I would really like to "dress up" the engine. Is it possible to paint without removing from boat? Maybe new valve covers, etc.? Any good sources for parts? I am converting the points to elec. ignition.

Unless you have a lift handy, I would use the boat and engine as is this summer. Pull it this winter and clean it up. As far as parts I would suggest Discount inboard marine or my correct craft parts. I am a points guy but to each his own.

The boat seems slow, I am used to a 94. Thinking about buying a new Acme prop but don't know which one is ideal for this boat? The previous owner gave me 4 props but I don;t think any of them are "ideal". Would like to sell those 4 props and buy the right prop?

TRBenj is the local prop expert. maybe he will see this and give you some advise.

Welcome to the site

-------------
83Ski

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 2:49am
Welcome to the site and congrats on the Skier purchase!

Platform was added for sure as it wasn't offered as an option from the factory until 78. Removing it will require you to fill the holes and the patch the gel. If you have a use for it and it was done in good taste id say leave it. Not sure what you mean by slowing the boat down tho? Can you elaborate?

Let's see some pictures of your new purchase. I'm surprised your not saying it faster as those hulls should have a higher top end than a NWZ hull. Have you done a compression test?

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 9:20am
Kevin,
Yes, welcome to CCfan. You have found the best spot for any of your questions on yor Skier.

Yes, the plateform was added. It would be great if you removed it taking the boat back to original.

Why the EI conversion? There's nothing wrong with a point set - they work for years and some of the EI conversions have had problems. Don't just go for the "bling" factor. The EI conversion WILL NOT do anything for the engine performance.

You say the boat seems slow - what RPM is the engine cranking up to? Double check it with a shop tach. Prop on it now? The 273 is a great engine.

Pictures!! We want pictures!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:05am
It could be the Parasail you have mounted on top that is slowing you down?

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:09am
I used my GPS during first water test and 35-36 mph was top end at I think aprox. 4200 RPM. I was a little nervous as boat seemed louder and more lathargic than the 94 I had before. I realize it is an older boat so just trying to get an uderstanding of what to expect.

The compression test came out OK, 95,95,95,100,95,100,100,100.

I was thinking the EI conversion would just work better and give me less headaches over time? I'm not a mechanic so I usually take it to the shop for repairs.

Thanks for the help, here are some pre-project photos. Boat will be wet-sanded and detailed this week along with the alternator rebuild. Will post more photos in about 10 days.

-------------
1973 Skier

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:30am
Louder than a '94? Yup!

More lethargic? It wont be quite as quick out of the hole, but should run with it up top (45+ mph). It sounds like youre underperforming by a good margin at 36mph @ 4200 RPM. I have no experience with the Chryslers, but the 273 is a good little motor. The compression numbers are consistent, so thats a good start... though they are a little lower than I would have hoped (this could be dependant on your particular gauge though). Did you perform it hot or cold?

Id check to see what prop is on there now, and then start investigating the ignition and fuel.

The platform isnt original to the boat and I really dislike how they look on the older boats... but they do offer a good bit of functionality. Luckily you have what I would call an "original style" platform, meaning it looks to be exactly like the one they installed on that hull (Ski Tique) when it became available years later.

-------------

Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:30am
Kevin,
You should be seeing about 10 more MPH. Somethings up? Check you RPM with a shop tach. Also, do you know if you have extra weight from wet foam? Stringher condition? Alignment?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:57am
Thanks for all the help. The compression test was done at the shop so I imagine it was done cold. How do I check for wet foam? Weigh the boat? Any idea what the boat vs. trailer should weigh?

I also noticed that I do not see the typical speedo pickup anywhere on the back of the boat. Is there supposed to be a pickup or do these boats measure mph a different way?

-------------
1973 Skier

Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 12:04pm
Kevin,
Weighing the boat is a good method. Weights of the hull and trailer should be in the ref section.

You pitot for the speedo may be a through hull type. Look for one one on the hull bottom near the engine.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by kaizenkid kaizenkid wrote:

Also, I would really like to "dress up" the engine. Is it possible to paint without removing from boat? Maybe new valve covers, etc.? Any good sources for parts?

I'll admit, this was definitely a budget job, entirely cosmetic with no functional improvements, and definitely not original, but to answer your question, this was a still-in-the-boat engine dress-up. So yes it can be done. Not the quality of some of the out-of-the-boat dress-ups I've seen, but it met my goals.

Before

After

-------------

Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 1:31pm
Oh, and dont bother weighing the boat. If you have wet foam, it wont drop 10mph off the top end. None of my boats slow down even 1mph when I have 4-6 people aboard.

Holeshot would be a little worse if youre carrying around extra weight, but that too, is tough to quantify without a baseline. I would go so far as to say that if you determine your stringers to be solid, then the weight of the boat is largely immaterial. There is no definitive way to measure that anyways- even if you can get a very accurate current weight, no one can be sure of how close the original factory estimates were.

In short, the powertrain has other issues you need to track down.

-------------

Date Posted: April-04-2012 at 5:21pm
Regarding speed then it sounds like it either needs a carb job or new prop? I will try next time without the bimini and see if it makes a difference.

I bought 7 quarts of the Valvoline R1 20W-50 racing oil after reading for about an hour on these posts. I returned the Fram oil filter and bought a Wix Racing filter instead.

Does it make sense to replace the spark plugs with platinum plugs?

-------------
1973 Skier

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: April-07-2012 at 4:27pm

Regarding speed then it sounds like it either needs a carb job or new prop? I will try next time without the bimini and see if it makes a difference.

That bimini won't slow you down either.

Prop will make the biggest difference. I'll let the prop experts advise you on what to get. In the mean time, post what prop is on the boat now.

Are you using a GPS or spedo's to track your speed?

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2012 at 7:01pm
Yes,

I used a GPS to track speed and top speed was 35-36 mph. I have a 3 blade prop, it is marked Federal 1072, 147B, F2RH9. The previous owner gave me 4 other props as well, all are 3 blade. I am thinking about selling all 5 props and just buying a new Acme? Any help with the right Acme model # would be appreciated.

I figured out the pitot. It looks like a tracking fin!! We were looking at the pitot and saying, damn that is the smallest tracking fin I have ever seen.

Another question, I filled the tank up with good gas (ethanol free). I noticed I had quite a bit dripping out of the vent on the stern. I topped of the tank when I was filling it up and hoping it won't leak next time if I make sure not to top it off?

What I plan to do to the engine is clean up as best I can and install some braided hoses and try to repaint as much of the engine as possible. Are there any better valve covers available?

Boat detail and most work should be done in another 7-10 days and I will post follow up photos.

Thanks for all the help!

-------------
1973 Skier

Date Posted: April-09-2012 at 7:32pm
If you have a 12x13 or 12x14 Federal in the pile of props he gave you, then try that before plunking down the cash for a new wheel. Either should run half way decent on that hull and powertrain combo, if all is working as it should. The dimensions should be stamped either on the hub face, or along the body of the prop.

If and when you do get a new prop, an Acme 1210 (12.5x12) or 3-blade OJ 12x13 would be the way to go, I think. Both perform really nicely.

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2012 at 8:14pm
Here is a photo of the prop. that is on the boat and the other 4 props.

Maybe the installed prop is really marked 12RH9 which would be a 12x9?

The other 4 are marked (from left to right in photo)

13 x13
12 x 15
12 x 14
11 x 12

-------------
1973 Skier

Date Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:39am
A 12x9 would help explain the speed vs. RPM discrepancy (36mph @ 4200 RPM). With a "proper" prop on the boat, you should be underturning slightly (ie, the same 4200 RPM should be pushing you closer to 44mph). I am not certain of the small Chrysler's recommended max RPM, but I would expect it to be in the same ballpark as the Fords (4400rpm).

2 things still dont make sense. If the engine was running properly, then that 12x9 should give you a tremendous holeshot. It should also allow the engine to over rev significantly (>5000rpm). If you can only pull it 4200, then something isnt quite right.

The first thing I would do would be to swap out the prop for the 12x14. Keep the 12x15 for now (its a bit too big, but would make an ok back up), and sell the others- they are not appropriate for the boat. When you get the boat running right, I would keep the 12x14 as your spare and upgrade to something new, as mentioned above. But get the boat sorted out first.

-------------

Date Posted: April-10-2012 at 11:14am
Thank you for the advice. I'm not certain of the exact RPM, it may have reached 4400-4500RPM. I didn't leave it there for long as it was just an inital water test and I hadn't yet changed the oil or tanny fluid, etc.

I will swap out the prop to the 12 x 14 and keep the 12x15 as a backup. I will post the others on here for sale.

I also plan to buy a new bimini. The one that came with the boat is about 60" tall, I would like to get that down to 42" or less and get a better quality.

Thanks again for the help!

-------------
1973 Skier

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: April-10-2012 at 11:47am

I also plan to buy a new bimini. The one that came with the boat is about 60" tall, I would like to get that down to 42" or less and get a better quality.

You might be able to modify what you have. Looking at the picture of the top you can always drill out the rivets or unscrew the attach points at the bottom, saw off as much as you dare then reattach the mounting hardware making the top more useful and apealing.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: MAN - GA
Date Posted: April-10-2012 at 12:01pm
If and when you do get a new prop, an Acme 1210 (12.5x12) or 3-blade OJ 12x13 would be the way to go, I think. Both perform really nicely.[/QUOTE]

I'll vote +1 on this recommendation I have a 75 Mustang and this prop is phenomenal.

Date Posted: April-10-2012 at 1:23pm
Great advice on the bimini, I will try that. I have a friend with a tarp business and could re-do with sunbrella material.

-------------
1973 Skier

Date Posted: April-10-2012 at 1:26pm
OK, I have a dumb question....

I would like to change out the points with elec. ignition. This will be a family boat on a small lake (dont' worry we don't tube) and I just want less hassle and don't want to deal with the points.

A friend pointed me to Overtons and said they had a kit for under $100 that would work but everywhere I look I see kits by Sierra and Mallory for $450 -$650. Thats a big difference. What's the deal with the different options?

-------------
1973 Skier

Date Posted: April-10-2012 at 2:08pm
Sorry, but I have a dumb question! What's wrong with your point set? I went somthing like 27 years without touching them on my X55! I doubt anyone can say that about one of the conversions!

Overtons??? I thought they were experts with selling ski equipment and yes tubes!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-11-2012 at 1:04am
Regarding a better prop, would the Acme 540 work on my boat? I also noticed TRBenj has a nice 1606 for sale.

540: 13x12
1606: 12.5 x 11.5

I think the boat probably came with a 12 x 14?

Are you guys gonna give me $#@! if I put braided hoses and new eddlebrock valve covers on my engine?

Thanks

-------------
1973 Skier

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: April-11-2012 at 1:26am
Of course they will give you ish but its your boat. I love my 73 Skier and am glad to see another one on here.

The breather vent on the gas tank is going to overflow. I rarely fill more than 2/3rds full because it will leak as you can see the evidence on your transom water line.

I would go with Pete's recommendation and stick with points.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: April-11-2012 at 1:31am
Start with a new carb!

Posted By: Ed
Date Posted: April-11-2012 at 5:10am
I think that it is a cool boat! Do what you want to it, It's yours and you need to be happy with it!!! These guys have already, and will always give you great advise though! Welcome to the site!!!

Date Posted: April-11-2012 at 10:45am
I just replied to your email about the 1606. I think the 1210 would be ideal since it appears the 273's came with 12x14's originally... but I dont think the 1606 would be far off. It would come out of the hole a little better, you just want to make sure your revs arent totally out of this world. My guess is that you'd end up in the 4600-4800 range with it, once you get the rest of the powertrain dialed in.

As far as the 540 goes, it will physically bolt on, but will leave you with insufficient prop to hull clearance. The 12.5" diameter Acme props like the 1210 and 1606 are "cut down" versions of the popular 13" diameter props commonly used on the larger (17-18', 351w powered) boats like the 540 and 542. They were cut down specifically for boats like ours that originally came with 12" diameter props.

Skip the braided hoses and the electronic ignition... at least until you get the boat running properly. (Personally, Id skip them both altogether). The closer to original the boat looks, the better, in my opinion! I love the early 70's Skiers... I own a few.

-------------

Date Posted: April-19-2012 at 10:34pm
Just spoke with my buddy at Southeast MC. They are finishing up the wet sand today and everything else is done. They had a little bit of trouble with the shaft packing area, had to buy a rubber hose fitting, old one was in bad shape. I will post photos as soon as I have her back!

-------------
1973 Skier

Date Posted: April-27-2012 at 6:10pm
Picked the boat up today! Just in time for the weekend!

Everything is done except the speedo is still about 8MPH slow. This boat has the old tracking fin type speedo and may be hard to fix or replace. The shop water tested the boat but did not have a GPS so I will check the top speed tomorrow on the lake. He said the speedo indicated 36mph and it was running about 8mph slow so with the original prop now back on the boat it sounds like she is running 44mph.

I would like to touch up the tan stripe on the stern. Looks to be paint over the gel coat. Any ideas?

Here are some new photos...

-------------
1973 Skier

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: April-27-2012 at 6:41pm
Very Nice!! Now the important part: Enjoy it!!

-------------

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: April-28-2012 at 12:02pm
She's purty for sure and looks so much better than looking like she is dangling from a parachute the previous owner called a bimini.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:57am
UPDATE:

The family and I got to enjoy the boat this weekend and she performed perfectly! The boat looks great and runs very well. Thanks to Tim B. for all the advice on the prop, switching out to the 12x14 made a huge difference. Boat no longer feels sluggish and tops out at 42mph on my small 42 acre lake. I got a nice ski session in behind the boat and it feels good to hear the sound of a nice classic ski boat out on the water. Much thanks to everyone for all the good advice.

KC

-------------
1973 Skier

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:06am
The original boot stripe would have been painted on over the gel. That stripe does not appear to be the one that would have originally come on the boat- it more closely resembles the one used in the mid-late 70's. The 71-73 version is a bit cleaner- if youre going to bother touching it up, Id put the correct shaped one back on. Or, just remove it entirely, as some Skiers did not have them (like mine).

Proper stripe:

Glad to hear its running better! 42-44mph is still on the slow side (mine is good for 45-46mph and is about the slowest one Ive come across... 46-49 is more typical), so I would still go through the engine to make sure its tuned up properly.

-------------

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 1:03am
I plan to put the boat on a larger lake soon and see if that makes a difference. I would like to see the original speedo working accurately but we are having trouble since there is no pitot sensor, this boat has a tracking fin sensor. Any idea where to find a relacement or how to fix? I am thinking about blowing it out with my air compressor?

-------------
1973 Skier

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The original boot stripe would have been painted on over the gel.

Tim,
I sure with boot stripes that varied in width ot leaned towards being graphics, it is paint, however my 70 Cuda as well as 2 others I know of up north had vinyl boot stripes! Probably the first time CC stuck something on a boat other than paint!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 11:02am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,
I sure with boot stripes that varied in width ot leaned towards being graphics, it is paint, however my 70 Cuda as well as 2 others I know of up north had vinyl boot stripes! Probably the first time CC stuck something on a boat other than paint!

Youre correct that the pre-1971 boot stripes (or are these technically waterline stripes?) are straight and could very well be vinyl... I dont have any boats with one so I couldnt tell you for sure. I do know that the 71+ boot stripes are paint (which is what we're discussing here)

There is nothing inherently wrong with the "shark fin" speedo pick up. I have one on my Skier and its as accurate as the pitots I have on my other boats. If your speedo isnt working, then you need to troubleshoot why.

-------------

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 11:35am

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,

Youre correct that the pre-1971 boot stripes (or are these technically waterline stripes?) are straight and could very well be vinyl... I dont have any boats with one so I couldnt tell you for sure. I do know that the 71+ boot stripes are paint (which is what we're discussing here)

Tim,
You stated "boot stripe"!

"The boot stripe is a narrow stripe of paint that separates the topside of a boat from the bottom."

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 12:12pm
Pete, the http://www.ageofsail.net/aoshipmd.asp?sletter=boot%20stripe;iword=1" rel="nofollow - definition I found states that a boot stripe is "a painted stripe along the outside and just above the waterline."

As opposed to at the waterline. I assumed "water line stripe" would be the proper term for a pre-'71 CC, and "boot stripe" would be the proper term for a '71+. If Im using the terms incorrectly, please let me know.

pre-71:

'71+:

-------------

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 2:55pm
Looking good! Every time I have a day off it rains, and this weekend looks to be no exception. Still have not been to the lake this year.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 3:11pm
The terms are synonymous, but stripe on Keegan's boat is just a plain old stripe.

The stripe on Kaizen's boat could be original. Pretty much the same as this 74 Skier.

Date Posted: May-09-2012 at 3:17pm
Bruce, that stripe is a 74-75 version. 1973 was the last year for the colored hulls and decks- starting in '74, they were all white and the only colors were on the stripe and interior. So the OP's boat is most likely a '73, as he states (or older).

I do agree that the OP's boat has a stripe that was meant to look like a slightly newer version... but its still not quite "correct".

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2015 at 2:52pm
Had to put the 73 Skier back in the shop. Carpet was looking rough and some floor boards were soft. Turns out most of the deck was wet and had termites, ants. Going to install all new marine board with resin coating on top and bottom and new dark blue carpet. Stringers seem ok but will need to replace 2 support boards in rear near packing area.

Quick question, cant seem to get the ski pole out! We took out 4 deck screws and removed a set screw but she still wont budge. Really need to get this out to complete project. Any ideas?

-------------
1973 Skier

Posted By: aghaydon993
Date Posted: March-13-2016 at 11:13pm
do you still have teak deck?

Date Posted: March-13-2016 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by aghaydon993 aghaydon993 wrote:

do you still have teak deck?

Alex,
Kevin hasn't been on site since last June so I thought I may be of some help. You're asking about a teak deck. Do you mean a swim platform on the transom? Are you looking for one?

Welcome to CCfan. Tell us more. Do you have a CC?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window