Print Page | Close Window

wakeboard with a ski rope

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Ski, Ride and Foot Talk
Forum Discription: Share photos, techniques, discuss equipment, etc.
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25710
Printed Date: September-27-2024 at 10:19am

Topic: wakeboard with a ski rope
Posted By: cragginshred
Subject: wakeboard with a ski rope
Date Posted: April-24-2012 at 3:45am
How crucial is it to have a wakeboard rope? Can I use my ski rope? What will I notice the most? Also until I get a skylon extension pole should I try wakeboarding off my ski pylon or the back of the boat (95sport nautique).

Replies:
Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: April-24-2012 at 3:55am
I am no expert, but from what I understand, wakeboard ropes are static, and don't stretch.   Ski ropes have some stretch to them. Yes, you can use a ski rope for WB'ing how much it affects you will depend on your skill level and proficiency.   If you have lots of time with either rope, you'll probably notice a difference, if not, you probably won't notice anything at all.   I would pull off of the pylon for all events.    

Posted By: MattB
Date Posted: April-24-2012 at 6:37am
If you are just starting to get up on a wakeboard its not crucial but I would really not waste much time before you switch to a non-stretch line. On many of the tricks (even basic tricks) you are building up line tension ready for a release, you can't do this (easily) and keep the line under control if you have a line that stretches.

Its not impossible but for the cost of a line there is no point making things difficult for yourself the early progression in wakeboarding can be frustrating enough anyway.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6102" rel="nofollow - 2001

http://uksn2001.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - SN2001 Blog

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 1:57am
After having a no stretch line......I won't have anything else.

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 3:49am
Most very good wakeboarders will tell you they care more about the rope than the board. They can do difficult tricks on any old board. They can't do them with a lousy rope.

There is no issue with the low pylon. If anything, one learns to use technique, rather than use the high pylon as a crutch. At some point the low pylon limits the super tought tricks. But again, the very good wakeboarders can do more tricks off the low pylon than most of us will every be able to do, not matter what equipment we are using.
BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 1:55pm
You asked about pulling off the back of the boat. I don't have a tower or extended pylon, so I tried that one time when I had a full load of passengers so no-one got chaffed.

It works, but you'll feel that a good size boarder can pull the back of the boat a bit at slow speeds, not a big deal. Also, the stern of the boat is quite a bit lower than the center pylon (even the OEM pylon) at boarding speeds.

So, even though the center pylon may not be pulling upwards, at least it's pulling level where the stern tow point is literally pulling the boarder down.

Posted By: watrski
Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:25pm
A low stretch rope is a good idea. Not critical for learning. You don't want a rope with no stretch....I remember trying one a long time ago. Talk about making you tired fast!

I tell everybody that the best thing to buy if they want to be a great (insert sport here) is to run gas through their boat. You can spend lots of money but putting the time in is what builds skill.

Posted By: Jllogan
Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

I tell everybody that the best thing to buy if they want to be a great (insert sport here) is to run gas through their boat. .

Thats funny Ive burnt lots of gas in my boat this year but I havent gotten any better at skiing. I guess I run it some more this evening when I get home.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5792&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1986 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: watrski
Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 10:35pm
Your getting buff by taking parts in and out of your boat though.

Posted By: 76tique
Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 11:03pm
The no stretch line makes a surprising difference on pop off the wake. Much more important than a skylon. I was pretty shocked after riding with a no stretch line for a season how "mushy" the ski line felt when we forgot the wake line one day. I still can't tell much difference riding on or off the skylon after 3 seasons. Mostly we just like the skylon for the board rack and extra space in the boat. If you are saving $$ I would definitely go for the low stretch line first, skylon second.

-------------
He who dies with the most toys, wins

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5648&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold

Posted By: mrinboard
Date Posted: April-26-2012 at 12:28am
Just pay the money and get a good rope

-------------
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"

Posted By: cragginshred
Date Posted: April-26-2012 at 12:31am
Ok convinced I need a wake board specific rope And that the pylon will be good to learn on. Keep in mind no expert boarders will be looking to do flips or anything this summer off my boat. BUT I do want to learn and likely want to jump the wake! OK any links for a good but reasonably priced wakeboard rope?

Posted By: MattB
Date Posted: April-26-2012 at 7:23am
Buy a cheep line and handle combo package that has multiple connection loops/sections probably in 5' sections from 55' to 70'
With the multiple sections you can adjust the length for different people.

For example you can go at 70' when somebody is just starting to jump the wake so they don't need to worry about the second wake or they have lots of space to ride comfortably behind the boat between the 2 wakes without any worry of going over the wake, this is also a great place to practice surface control.

As you progress and start jumping the wakes start down at 55 or 60' (obviously speed dependent) and as you get better lengthen it back out, but make it easy for yourself.

Oh and remember NO CHARGING at the wake, you need a progressive edge (plenty of info about this on the web).

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6102" rel="nofollow - 2001

http://uksn2001.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - SN2001 Blog

Posted By: kenowja
Date Posted: May-02-2012 at 2:55pm
Hey i love to wake board, just got a new board, a liquid force trip 134 or 138 i can't remember, but i wouldn't want to get pulled behind a boat if you're going to be being pulled from the back of the boat, in my opinion, get the rope, because like everyone above said, who is a wake boarder, YOU NEED a wake boarding rope, i get pulled behind a 1989 nautique 2001 with the reverse gel coat,and a coyote, by Aztec boat. when you are learning how to control your board, figure your stance. have somebody give you a little push when your not expecting it, and what ever foot you push out to balance yourself, is what foot should be facing the boat when you are boarding.
HAVE FUN!!!

-------------
Jake

Print Page | Close Window