Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27202
Printed Date: September-25-2024 at 12:24pm

Topic: My 4th Correct Craft
Posted By: bhectus
Subject: My 4th Correct Craft
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:13pm
Well, I'll let the cat out of the bag. I go to pick up this beauty on Monday. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and checked it out but since I hadn't taken payment for my SS I decided not to bid on the initial auction. I spoke to the mechanic at the marine shop where it was (who I have known for a while) and he gave me the complete history of the boat. It's in REALLY good shape. I think I did all right price wise! First thing to get done is to get the Dom decals removed and some BFN decals put on. Not too keen about the dash being cut for a radio but that and an incorrect speedo are really the only issues.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300743371192&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" rel="nofollow - 1987 Dominique/BFN

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Replies:
Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:24pm
Nice! Looks to be in really nice shape.

Posted By: MattB
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:31pm
Very nice looking boat, very clean. A few scratches on the side and rear but they just look cosmetic.

Curious boat choice...83..96..97..87....did you just prefer the classic look of the older boat?
So is the Domonique a BFN with the SN interior and the 351?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6102" rel="nofollow - 2001

http://uksn2001.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - SN2001 Blog

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:46pm
First Dom I've seen that doesn't have 2 buckets up front.

-------------
Brian

Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by MattB MattB wrote:

Very nice looking boat, very clean. A few scratches on the side and rear but they just look cosmetic.

Curious boat choice...83..96..97..87....did you just prefer the classic look of the older boat?
So is the Domonique a BFN with the SN interior and the 351?

Yeah, the scratches should be superficial and I'm hoping to buff them out. We sold the SS for financial reasons, needed to pay my wifes car off so she could stay home and raise our newborn daughter. The choice to go with a BFN was more right place/right time, plus I have regretted selling my '83 ever since I got rid of it. I love the throaty sound of the older boats. Never had a BFN and the last year I owned my '96 I got into barefooting and fell in love with it. I got this at the right price so worse case scenario I won't be out much if anything if I decided to part with it down the road.

The owner had his friend post the auction, and seems he got some details mixed up. It's truly a BFN boat with dominique badging. That's it. Standard 351W motor.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:49pm
The Dominique and bfn were the same boat. The bfn usually got the delux observers seat and 454 the Dominique more commonly had a 2nd bucket and a 351w. But you could order them however you wanted. Otherwise, it was just the graphics that differentiated the 2.

That does look like a clean example, and you did great on the price- congrats Bret!

I think that a 325hp sbf powered bfn would be a very strong performer with a great wake. Stock big block power without the weight.

-------------

Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:04pm
Actually the BFN came standard with a 351W but most original purchasers ordered with the BBC for obvious reasons. I'm sure the BBC is a nice addition for a dedicated BF boat. Not really a huge concern of mine. I really just bought it for the sweet cup-holder on the dog box. I want to make sure my passengers receive the accouterments (sp?) they deserve, can't make them hold their own beers ALL the time!

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: MattB
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:04pm
Somebody making sensible choices in today's economy, respect

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6102" rel="nofollow - 2001

http://uksn2001.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - SN2001 Blog

Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:09pm

thanks Matt! It's all this guys fault - http://www.daveramsey.com" rel="nofollow - Dave Ramsey

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:27pm
Good looking boat!

-------------
83Ski

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:28pm
When you get ready-- I got these !!

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:39pm
hell yeah Marty! PM me for pricing. Do you take paypal?

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Silver15
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:59pm
Sweet boat, Bret! Haul over to Jessamine... You have to teach me to foot now :)
Jake

-------------
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 3:32pm
Nice Find.

Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Silver15 Silver15 wrote:

Sweet boat, Bret! Haul over to Jessamine... You have to teach me to foot now :)
Jake

No Problem Jake! But you get to pull me through the course with yours!

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: parrott
Date Posted: July-27-2012 at 5:17pm
Great looking boat! Classic

-------------
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique

Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 3:00am
OK, picked up the BFN yesterday, some good and some bad....

The good:
Interior is great, floor is solid, engine looks good
Super nice DV4 Ramlin trailer, had been sandblasted and repainted
Real nice bimini, and full cover with side skirts that go all the way to bottom of hull sides

The bad:
Cover needs to be re-waterproofed (no big deal)
Dime sized piece of gel missing on the port-side gunwale (can be fixed)
trailer tires are SHOT! First order of biz is to get new ones.
Dash has been cut - I think I can get the flip-up radio coverplate from white-lake that will at least clean up the installation.

I think a new prop is in order, so Tim, I hope you are reading this.... It has the stock Federal 13x13x1 on it right now, and it looks tiny! Powerplant is the standard 351w so what do you recommend here? I'm looking for a good all-around performer. Luckily I won't have to buy the prop-removal tool as it is a little loose already so I might as well do this before it goes in the water again.

New decals are on their way from Nautiqueparts.com, so I'll be buffing out the hull this weekend. She's going back to her BFN roots. Those Dominique decals have got to go!

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:49am
Im confused... why do you think its a BFN and not a Dominique? Id probably opt for the BFN decals as well, but its pretty clear it went out the door as a Dom. Ramlin didnt start making trailers for CC until the mid 90's... that one was built in house and is a Correct Craft trailer.

I *think* thats the stock radio location for an '87... but if you want to ditch it, you can replace the whole dash plate. http://nautiqueskins.com/Dash__Gauges__Switches__Etc.html" rel="nofollow - Nautique Skins has it.

Stock 351w, go with the Acme 540 for all around performance.

-------------

Posted By: Jllogan
Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:53am
Bolt on some more HP!!!!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5792&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1986 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 12:08pm
Bret,
Be prepared for some gel color ghosting under the Dominique decals. Hopefully it can be removed with some wet sanding and a buff.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Airgrabber
Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 12:16pm
I was watching it on ebay, Nice boat, great price

-------------
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!

Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Im confused... why do you think its a BFN and not a Dominique? Id probably opt for the BFN decals as well, but its pretty clear it went out the door as a Dom. Ramlin didnt start making trailers for CC until the mid 90's... that one was built in house and is a Correct Craft trailer.

I *think* thats the stock radio location for an '87... but if you want to ditch it, you can replace the whole dash plate. http://nautiqueskins.com/Dash__Gauges__Switches__Etc.html" rel="nofollow - Nautique Skins has it.

Stock 351w, go with the Acme 540 for all around performance.

Tim, thanks for the help on the prop!
Here's the lowdown on the Dom/BFN confusion. The boat is definitely a BFN. The PO who ordered it originally didn't like the BFN decals for whatever reason so they special ordered with DOM decals. THAT'S IT. They told SECC that if they couldn't get it with Dom decals that they weren't buying. Everything else is BF. I was even given the original owner's book, have all the original buyer's orders, maint. logs, EVERYTHING! It's pretty awesome to have all of this. Original purchase price was $20k and change. That was a lot back then! Tim, let me know if you want to see anything specific and I can scan it in and post.
Thanks also for clearing up the trailer info. It's built extremely well, totally different from the trailer on my old '83. A lot more reinforcement and extra bunks underneath, not the typical wishbone setup. Up by the tongue on the port side there is a 4-digit number "4709". Not sure if this is a model# or ser#?

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 1:24pm
Just ordered the Acme 540 from Delta. $345 shipped! What a deal!

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 1:29pm
Dang, I could have sold you one for 250 in a month

-------------

Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 2:31pm
Since the decals on the side and the plate on the dash are the only things that differentiated the Dom and BFN, I guess Im still confused! The 2 boats are the same besides the badging.   

Im with you though, I think the BFN decals look better since theyre centered fore/aft.

Ive got most of the original paperwork from when my family bought our '88 SN new... pretty cool looking back at that stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 4:33pm
Tim, Dom had a different observer seat, it was a bucket that swiveled fore and aft. That, decals, and badging were the only differences.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Tim, Dom had a different observer seat, it was a bucket that swiveled fore and aft.

Commonly, yes... but not a requirement. Same goes for the 351w vs. 454.

The "Delux Passenger Bucket Seat with Swivel" was standard, but the " http://correctcraftfan.com/reference/1987_brochure/index.asp?page=16" rel="nofollow - Love Seat with Cooler " was optional.

-------------

Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 4:53pm
LOL, either way, come down again next year to SJRR and I'll give ya a few pulls!

Here's a couple pics from the other day with the cover on it. I'll get some more this weekend and post them up. I love the cover, it's no wonder the gel is in such good shape!

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 4:56pm
Wow, a waterline cover- score! That explains a lot... hopefully minimal ghosting under those Dominique decals.

Would love a pull behind that rig!

-------------

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: August-01-2012 at 7:24pm
Congrats on the new boat, looks like an outstanding buy. There's a Dom for sale on my way to work every day, I stopped to look once, kind of beat though a decent boat for someone. It's out there rain or shine with no cover and a for sale sign on it. I think they are asking over 8 grand or something like that, never going to move at that price.

It has the swivel bucket, as did the Dominique I looked at last summer. Nice feature if you plan to cruise around a fair amount, but one less seat while a rope is attached.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: August-11-2012 at 11:15pm
Well, I had a productive day today. I fixed my electrical bug with a new starter relay, pressure washed, scrubbed and re-waterproofed my cover, and installed my brand new Acme 540 prop! Unfotunately I didn't have time to take it out but I did have time to polish off a few beers afterwards. Tomorrow morning she hits the water.

Here's a couple teaser shots. I'm hoping to get some good ones in the water tomorrow.

Pics from last weekend - Dominique decals got removed, BFN Decals soon to go on.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: August-11-2012 at 11:26pm
Also ordered up a nice new set of aluminum wheels and new tires for the trailer. The ones on it are dry rotted and definitely not safe. trailerandtruckparts.com has some awesome prices, thanks for the tip Tim!

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: August-12-2012 at 2:55pm
See ya out there!

-------------
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Date Posted: August-12-2012 at 6:13pm
Good seeing you today Jake! Thanks for the idle adjustment, haha! Good to see the Barracuda in the water too. Sounds like it was running like a champ.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 12:11am
no pictures?

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 12:21am
Sorry Seb, no pics this time. :(

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 1:28am
Haha, thanks. Back at you. Your BFN looks and sounds fantastic. The alum treatment on our lake is expected to last another couple of weeks, and then it'll be crystal clear. Come on back for a ski day!   

-------------
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Posted By: randall
Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 12:25pm

thanks Matt! It's all this guys fault - http://www.daveramsey.com" rel="nofollow - Dave Ramsey

Dave is an inboard guy....I specifically remember him saying he proudly owns a MC.

-------------
1973 CC Mustang

Date Posted: August-19-2012 at 11:36pm
Got my new wheels/tires this past week so I figured I'd mount 'em up today. Man, what a difference!

Out with the old:

And in with the new!:

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: August-20-2012 at 1:43am
sweet!

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: August-20-2012 at 11:51am
Looks great!

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: drpookie
Date Posted: August-20-2012 at 10:11pm
Great buy on that boat, I had offered him 500$ more than you got it for, (8 weeks ago, and he didn't accept) I then went on a short deployment for the AF, I emailed him when I got back, and he said too late, its gone, for XXX$! Heartbroken, but glad you got it, its a cherry at 420 hours.

-------------
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique

Date Posted: August-20-2012 at 11:20pm
Jeff, it's funny you went through that too! I called him after the first bid went with no bids and he wanted nothing to do with $5,500 when I called him. Then I see the buy it now auction listed a few days later at $5,500! I dunno why he didn't just call me back? I didn't want to take a chance so I smashed the button. Then, he goes on vacation for a week! I called him while he was out of town and told him the only reason I clicked the B.I.N. feature was so I could come get the boat right away. He offered a few hundred dollar discount and we settled on $5200. Definitely a score.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: drpookie
Date Posted: August-22-2012 at 1:23am
Thats incredible!! I wonder why he didnt email me and accept my 6k? He had countered at 6500. What a weird dude lol.

Im thrilled a CCfan member got this one :)

-------------
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: August-22-2012 at 2:15am
Nice Boat for sure !

Date Posted: September-05-2012 at 10:27pm
Couple pics from my Labor Day labor.... Spend half the day compounding, buffing, and waxing the deck. It was full of oak stains and needed a good polishing too. An EZ-Up makes for great shade on a 95*F sunny FL day.

Installed 2 new vent covers up front as well.

Out back installed stern vent and wired up a new stern light base from Christine's.

Last but certainly not least, I put on my dash plaques from Mr. Marty Mabe! It was like the icing on the cake. Except one of my candles blew out. (mismatched speedo Still hunting an original)

This weekend will be more buffing of the hull sides before my BFN decals go on.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: dwouncmd
Date Posted: September-05-2012 at 11:31pm
Can http://www.classicboatwork.com/classicparts/gauges/airguide/airguide.html" rel="nofollow - these guys help?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Posted By: LilRichard
Date Posted: September-06-2012 at 12:42am
Looks great - I'm going through the same thing right now!

Date Posted: September-06-2012 at 1:35am
Looking sweet, I'm not too far behind you!

-------------
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Posted By: turningpoint84
Date Posted: September-07-2012 at 5:16pm
more pictures of your tundra plz!

I have a 2007 myself.

Where did you get those rims, me likey.

-------------
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: September-07-2012 at 9:02pm
haha, OK, but just one since I want to keep this about my boat and not my truck. If you want pics of my truck, there's plenty more on tundratalk.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: September-23-2012 at 10:50pm
Another productive day on the BFN. The PO seemed to think it was a good idea to seal the teak while it was on the boat. Needless to say the gunnel teak looked pretty good but the gel underneath it looked like absolute garbage. Took some wetsanding and buffing to bring it back. Slowly making progress.

Before:

After:

The teak was actually in pretty good shape so I decided to leave well enough alone. Next up is buffing out the hull sides and slapping on the new decals. If only I had more free time....

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:17pm
what did you use to reseal your cover Brett? Need to do mine. Did you do it on the boat or laying on the ground? Seems to me that it would work better as it is on the boat but would think that might make a mess of the sides.
anyhow...great looking boat. You are cleaning her up nice. Friend of ours from our ski club had one of those but sold it for a mc!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:25pm
Looking great Brett,it makes you feel good when small projects have big results.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:43pm
J Bear,

Try 303 Aerospace Fabric Portector for your cover. It is what sunbrella recommends. Get a gallon and use a pump up sprayer ( Bug Sprayer). I need to also do mine in the next few weeks. It looks like the 303 is about $100.00 for a gallon on E-Bay. There is also a 303 Fabric Cleaner that I may try out.

Brett,

Looking good.

Donald

Date Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:47pm
get it online or local Don?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

what did you use to reseal your cover Brett? Need to do mine. Did you do it on the boat or laying on the ground? Seems to me that it would work better as it is on the boat but would think that might make a mess of the sides.
anyhow...great looking boat. You are cleaning her up nice. Friend of ours from our ski club had one of those but sold it for a mc!

john

John, I had really nice results using this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/303-High-Fabric-Guard-Gallon/dp/B0000AY1W7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348447487&sr=8-1&keywords=303+waterproofing" rel="nofollow - 303 High Tech Fabric Guard

You may be able to find some locally at a RV place (I'm sure you have a few to choose from in your neck of the woods. ) but it's expensive. You'll need to plan to use an entire gallon of it. I dumped the whole thing in my 2-gal sprayer and shot it while it was off the boat. I had it strung over my fence, a couple garbage cans and 2 lawn chairs. Best is to do it in full sunlight so it dries quicker. They say not to do it on the boat as it could have some ill effects on the gelcoat and whatever else it touches before it dries. I didn't want to risk finding out what would happen. It works really well in keeping the rain out but with all the rain we've had lately it has developed some mildew on the underside of the cover. My old cover on my '96 used to do the same thing. Doesn't get on anything else, just the inside of the cover for some reason.   

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

J Bear,

Try 303 Aerospace Fabric Portector for your cover. It is what sunbrella recommends. Get a gallon and use a pump up sprayer ( Bug Sprayer). I need to also do mine in the next few weeks. It looks like the 303 is about $100.00 for a gallon on E-Bay. There is also a 303 Fabric Cleaner that I may try out.

Brett,

Looking good.

Donald

Damn, you beat me to the punch, but I beat you on the price!   

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:54pm
West Marine has it, but they are the highest of everyone all of the time.

WOW, that Amazon price is smoking.

Date Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:59pm
thanx guys.

should get it local...lots of them RV places here. Wow...$100 a gallon tho...

should be no trouble doing it in the full sunlight. With all the rain I too am getting mildew on the inside. No ill effects from using the pressure washer? I usually use a hose, bucket of soapy water and a broom to scrub with. Seems as tho it would be easier with the pressure washer.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-24-2012 at 12:16am
Pressure washer was what I used.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Toeboat
Date Posted: September-24-2012 at 12:30am
Teak looks great. What did you use?

-------------
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo

Date Posted: September-24-2012 at 4:00pm
Thanks Toeboat! Used 1000-grit 3M paper, wetsanded, then went to 3M medium grit compound, all by hand, then followed with McGuires Swirl-X remover with a DA and foam pad which polishes out the fine scratches left over. Then waxed with Collinite #925 marine wax. Can't say enough good things about that Collinite wax. Goes on easy, wipes off easy and gives the gel a deep glossy shine.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Toeboat
Date Posted: September-24-2012 at 11:54pm
Did you do the same to the platform?

-------------
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo

Date Posted: September-25-2012 at 12:53am
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I haven't touched the teak. The PO used some kind of teak sealer. Not sure exactly what, but its still in good shape, the platform looks the same. Guess I'll leave it alone for a while but eventually it will all get sanded down, cleaned, brightened, and oiled all proper-like. Not a fan of the sealers. Once they start to chip and flake it really starts to look haggard.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:23pm
Well, here we are just over 8 weeks away from SJRR 2013 and I figured I better get my butt in gear on getting the BFN finished as there's still some hunting weekends left and I am running out of time. Spent half a day Sunday buffing out the gel on the port side and put on the new decals. I decided not to pull the original pinstriping as it is in pretty good overall shape and I'm sure it would be difficult to find that light blue in the width I would need anyway. I ran the rotary over them and didn't do any damage. I was going to tape them off but decided not to. Good call, would have taken a lot more time. 3M super duty, then Finesse It was used, then applied the decals. Going to let them sit for a week so all the moisture dries from the application process and then will wax with Collinite. Still have the starboard side and stern to do.   Anyone have a line on where to get new stern decals? Zach? (sorry, forgot to ask you on the phone today). I'm really looking for BFN specific but will settle for plain "Correct Craft Competition Ski Boat" if I have to.

Here's how she sits now. I decided I wasn't going to add the 2001 decals since technically the BFN's were not true 2001 hull boats, so they are a little farther back than they would be normally. It was going to be hard if not impossible to get the larger 88 style decals any farther forward in between the pinstriping.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:28pm
Brett, did you install the decals on the wrong side? They should be slanting to the rear on both sides (ie, theyre not the same- port slants right and stbd slants left)...

I think youre going to want to add those 2001 decals though- will look a little bare without them!

Looks good in the pic! How did the gel come out skipping right to the Finesse-It (II?) from the Super Duty? I could never get all the fine scratches out without an intermediate compound.

Looks better than the Dominique decals, thats for sure!

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:35pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] Brett, did you install the decals on the wrong side? They should be slanting to the rear on both sides (ie, theyre not the same- port slants right and stbd slants left)...

QUOTE]

GRRRRRRR!!!! FML. Not re-doing it.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:37pm
Dang, that sucks man. Sleep on it... youre only half committed now!

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:39pm

GRRRRRRR!!!! FML. Not re-doing it.

Would have never noticed....looks great!!!

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:39pm
Peel it off and fix it now.

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:40pm
that means I would have to buy another set. I'm only half committed in time and labor.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:40pm
Will someone sell you half a set? Christines or Zach at N3?

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:44pm
Hang the other side in the garage.

Also, some BFNs did just get the competition ski boat transom decal, not barefoot.

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Would have never noticed....looks great!!!

I agree. Only you, God, and TRBenj will know.

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:47pm
I'll look at the other side when I get home tonight. If the "B" in Barefoot is shrunken a little like I think it may be then I'll re-do it. I just looked at a couple pics online and it appears that may be the case. If it is the same height as the other letters I'm moving forward as is.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:47pm
Hell, its a "resto-mod" clone anyway.. I say leave the decal on if you can't get another cheap.. Nice going "TIM"

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Hell, its a "resto-mod" clone anyway.. I say leave the decal on if you can't get another cheap.. Nice going "TIM"

? The only thing not original is the '88 decals in lieu of the '87 ones.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:57pm
I completely missed this post Brett! Hold off on putting those on and if I can get Jason to run me a half set I would be glad to help out. You are running the 88 Graphics on it correct?

I have a set of 86 Graphics that jason could probably run with the Feet as the Os. Maybe white with light blue shadows? Those full sets are only ike 215 ish including the rear transom set and the 2001's. Only difference from 86-87 was the small feet after the word Nautique and regular Os instead of feet.

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 6:00pm
Not correct. Neither had feet for the Os. 87 had feet by the B in Barefoot. Only 89 and 90 had feet for Os.

-------------

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 6:02pm

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

? The only thing not original is the '88 decals in lieu of the '87 ones.

Thought this was a Dom originally and you were making the switch.. Sorry. read later it was ordered that way..
Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 6:48pm
Oops I just assumed that was the 86 set. They look cool anyways! I can just have my decal guy do 0s instead of Feet.

I have an "original" set of blue and light blue Barefoot Nautique decals here that have feet for the Os HW. Maybe it was a custom set done on the 80's the yellowing of the paper tells the age of the decals.

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 6:53pm
Must be for a Cypress Gardens boat.

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 7:18pm
Must have been. Who wantes 86-87 Barefooter graphics with feet for Os!

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 7:22pm
Looks like someone in this thread could use some.

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 7:24pm
Are they guaranteed not to fall off? Those seem kind of old....

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 7:32pm
Haha no they would be new Brett. He hasnt run a set yet.

-------------

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 9:32pm
Zach, you've got my email, shoot me a pic of them if you don't mind. I will probably be interested in them in the near future. Just got home and measured and there is no height difference on the "B" in Barefoot for the other side decals like I thought there may be. It looked in various pics I searched on the web that it was slightly smaller but it isn't on my set anyway. I'm going to put the other side on and run them as is for now, backwards and all. It's not a big deal for me really, and they aren't the correct 1987 decals to begin with. Tim, I do appreciate you pointing out that they were backwards, I surely wouldn't expect you to hold out on me. Your wealth of knowledge and memory never ceases to amaze me!

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 10:35pm
Everything happens for a reason, the end result will be better!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 10:38pm
In the meantime, Timmy is too CC smart for his own good!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: January-15-2013 at 11:11pm
Brett, he already has correct craft nautique the 2001 done for the regular 85-87 ski graphics. It won't take him to long to duplicate the barefoot maybe a little longer to make the os instead of feet. The color is just as simple as ordering colored vinyl. I need to have him finish the footer ones anyways so I have them availiable for sale.

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2013 at 10:51pm
Ordered another set of the '88 BFN decals from White Lake today. They are still on clearance so I figured I might as well while I can. Thanks a lot Tim.....

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: February-10-2013 at 10:14pm
Well, another day of work done in preparation for SJRR '13. I took everyone's advice and swapped the decals. Also took a little extra time today wetsanded out some small scratches that were bothering me and then re-compounded and buffed both sides before putting the new decals on. Came out real nice. I'm really leaning towards putting the old style Correct Craft decal with the globe on it at the stern where the 2001 decals would be. Not a fan of those but it does need something there to fill the void.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: February-10-2013 at 11:14pm
Much better

-------------

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: February-10-2013 at 11:15pm
Looks like a great boat that you made better...... Wish I could ride across lake George in that this march.

Date Posted: February-10-2013 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Looks like a great boat that you made better...... Wish I could ride across lake George in that this march.

Only on one condition, you leave your car keys at the dock.
Come on down, you're always welcome to go for a pull!

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: February-11-2013 at 12:34am
The CC sticker is going to look lost in that big space, go with the 2001.   My Excel has CC across the the back in the stripe, outlined letters but not the same as on the side with the clear centers. That's where you should have it say CC.

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: February-11-2013 at 12:43am
The CC sticker is going to look lost in that big space, go with the 2001.   My Excel has CC across the the back in the stripe, outlined letters but not the same as on the side with the clear centers. That's where you should have it say CC.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: February-11-2013 at 11:10am
Yep, I agree.... You've come this far our young Padawan friend to change directions now. Put the the 2001 decals on it. It'd be like having a Spaghetti dinner with buttered garlic bread then leaving off the garlic. It just ain't right. You'll be happy that you did after the fact, the other 2001 owners will too and even Pete.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: February-11-2013 at 12:32pm
I'm on the bandwagon too, go with 2001, I always liked that logo anyway.

You could put that boat on a showroom floor and sell it as new, you've done an amazing job on it!

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Print Page | Close Window