Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28057
Printed Date: September-21-2024 at 9:08pm

Topic: 1969 San Juan has a new home
Posted By: ny_nautique
Subject: 1969 San Juan has a new home
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:03pm
Well I was at Boston Harbor this morning at 8:30 and was on the road by 9:30. Truck, boat, and trailer made the trip from Boston to Albany without a problem. I will post pics and more info later tonight.
She's gonna be quite the project!

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Replies:
Posted By: cphase
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:08pm
Congrats! Glad you had en uneventful trip!

-------------
Thanks,

Jeff
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6549" rel="nofollow - 82 SN
http://www.archlinux.org" rel="nofollow - Arch Linux

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:13pm
Thats great hope to see it someday. What engine does it have?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: juniorwoody
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:40pm
Always a great relief to get the unknown part of the adventure behind you.

-------------
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future

Posted By: hein
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 7:55pm
Will be keeping an eye on the progress!

-------------
A bad day skiing is better than a good day at work.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 8:15pm

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 8:45pm
Well done....Quite the logistics!   

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

She's gonna be quite the project!

We are here to help!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 9:35pm
Looking forward to the pics!

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 9:54pm
After all that trailer discussion it sounds like it ended up being an easy fit! That had to be a 6,000 lb. load, what did you tow it with?

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:04pm
OK, story first and then some pics.
First of all, the previous owner Joe was a great guy. Between him, his son, and the dockmaster, things went pretty smoothly. The boat has been in his family since the early 70s yet it didn't seem like he was too concerned to be "losing" it.
I was going to take my dad's GMC2500 but I took a chance with my truck instead. I have a 2011 Nissan Frontier 6 cyl and it is rated for 5600 lbs towing. This was right at the edge, and my truck is MUCH more comfortable and trustworthy than my dad's. And, I thought it would be nice to have something a bit smaller to navigate the tight streets of Boston. That proved to be a good idea.

I had to back into the gates at the yacht club https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Columbia+Yacht+Club,+William+J+Day+Boulevard,+Boston,+MA&hl=en&ll=42.332185,-71.027726&spn=0.000427,0.000603&sll=42.746632,-75.770041&sspn=4.912809,9.876709&oq=columbia+yacht+club&t=h&hq=Columbia+Yacht+Club,&hnear=William+J+Day+Blvd,+Boston,+Suffolk,+Massachusetts&z=21&layer=c&cbll=42.332185,-71.027726&panoid=ShHVDH-44eMSIi8hXw_gmQ&cbp=12,154.13,,0,12.31" rel="nofollow - shown here . It was 8:30 am (rush hour) and I had to back into that gate with cars parked as close as they could be to the driveway. I tried to jacknife back in but it just wasn't working. I detached the trailer and we pushed it in by hand, and then I backed my truck in and hooked back up. It was so tight in there that I thought I'd be scratching cars as I left but everything fit.
It was quite heavy on my truck and unfortunately the boat sat a bit too far forward on the trailer so there was too much tongue weight, but I decided it would be fine.
I stopped at every rest stop along the way on I90 and everything was good. I transferred about 150 lbs from my truck bed to the rear of the boat and that helped as well.

As you can see, the bottom was COVERED in marine life. Things were squirming and very smelly, and they got the ride of their life going 180 miles on the highway.

I had to sacrifice the lives of about a million tiny shrimp and mussels when I got home!

The engine is a 1998 350 EFI. Joe bought had it installed new in 1998 and even gave me the receipt. He also had a new teleflex steering cable that wasn't installed.
The floor was replaced with with plywood; the upholstery is fairly new, and the original color is the hideous maroon that you can see in the 1968 catalog.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:20pm
And now for the pics.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:28pm
The guy in the boat is Joe, the previous owner. The last pic is it connected to my dad's truck; I used his truck to back it into his yard for the weekend.

I'll post pics of the interior and engine tomorrow. It was getting too dark, cold, and windy.

I brought a bunch of tools, 2x4 blocks, 4x4s, 2 jacks, a 20 inch 6x6, and some kneeling pads but I didn't need any of that!

There's a chance that the engine could be OK. It sounds like Joe did a good job of turning it off right when he noticed the oil pressure drop. Hopefully it's just a rusted out oil pan. It is going to be tough for me to lift the engine with this insanely tall boat.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:34pm
Nice Find,

Did it come with a Wildlife Title or Bill of Sale ( free) something that will help you get it registered in New York State?

Donald

Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:37pm
Yes, he gave me the title and signed it over to me as a gift. I hope that is all we need. I'm going to call/stop by DMV on Monday just to make sure I have all the paperwork I need.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:39pm
Also, Joe had a new engine cover built, probably when he installed the 1998 Chevy 350. It is pretty far from "original" and may be tough to get it back. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go down to the gel to expose that maroon color.

And... my truck got 14MPG on the way out with just the trailer; it got 7.7MPG on the way home! But, it did well even going up those big hills in the Berkshires.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 1:29am
Very Cool....Let the fun begin!!!!!

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 1:37am
I can't believe you got that free, that's an awesome deal! Until your pictures I didn't realize a San Juan had a cabin like that.

I assume the boat was originally RR with 1:1. Is the 350 he put in still RR with same tranny? I know maybe too early to ask questions, you just got back!

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 9:35am
That's a pretty nice find and now you can make some clam cakes and chowder this weekend too.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 9:38am
Big time cool!!! Keep the pictures coming.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Bakchose
Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:13am
I've been past that marina a bunch of times. You aren't kidding when you say it is a tight fit backing in there. I wonder how much additonal weight the marine life adds to the boat? I'm curious to find out what happened to the engine. Keep us posted.

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I can't believe you got that free, that's an awesome deal! Until your pictures I didn't realize a San Juan had a cabin like that.

I assume the boat was originally RR with 1:1. Is the 350 he put in still RR with same tranny? I know maybe too early to ask questions, you just got back!

I'm keeping the boat at my parents house for now so I'm heading over there to check it out right now. The cabin even has a porta potty. Before I left I had searched the web for any pics I could find of the cabin and only found one. It is pretty small but will allow the kids to get out of the rain or sun.

How would I go about winterizing this? I assume it is a closed cooling loop, and we know most of the oil is drained. I'm not sure if I'll be able to lift the engine before spring.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:48am
I doubt it's closed loop cooling, you'll see right away when you get there, that would be quite a modification on an older boat. Assuming it's not, the question is whether you can flush the engine a bit before you drain it, not sure how to do that without spinning over the engine. With the oil gone, that's not a good idea. You may just have to drain it and stop there.

If it was me, I might try the following. Pull the spark plugs, squirt a bit of light oil in each cylinder, put a wrench on the crank pulley bolt, and see if it easily spins. If it feels smooth turning by hand, I might find a way to hold some oil in the pan, then spin the engine over with the starter while feeding water to the raw water pump intake. This would not only flush out the engine a bit, but would also pump clean oil through so hopefully you get everything coated for the winter. Then you can drain the fresh water for the winter.

Just thinking aloud, curious for comments from others.

-------------

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:50am
Cool find, I hope you can salvage the engine. I would just drain it well, even the closed loop, for winterization.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:55am
By the way, I'm now officially wanting your boat. I always thought I wanted a Cuddy Nautique because of the cabin, but seems like you've got the best of both worlds, cabin plus huge cockpit. I'll give you twice what you paid for it, cash, right now!

-------------

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:57am
I'll go along with David.
Fog via the plug holes, the drain and pour the antifreeze. If it does by chance have a fresh water cooling system, then all that is needed is to drain and antifreeze the raw water side of the cooling system. Post some pictures of the engine if it is fresh water.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: ultrarunner
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 1:30am
Hey Jeff, thanks so much for the update. I too hadn't realized the San Juans had the cuddy. Very slick, and now I REALLY want one once the twins are big enough to get out on the water!

As I said, I'm in and out of ALB all the time. Would love to come take a look sometime. Will you have it inside for the winter?

Looks like it's bottom-painted, so that's good. 3000psi from the pressure washer and you can have a clam bake!

Keep the pics coming when you can. Glad you got the boy out there with ya!

Ultra

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 2:58am
Man, that thing had it's own ecosystem! Glad you made it home with it ok and good luck with the project

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 12:38pm
Barnical bill called, wants his boat back! cool find.

Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 12:47pm
Hey ultra - let me know when you're heading out here, I should be available. I'm not sure where the boat may be. I'm looking at renting a 3-stall garage for my boats and business right now so we'll see...

Update... I only had a few hours yesterday and it was going to rain so I didn't get much done.

First order of business was to get rid of the nasty port-a-potty:

Notice how rusted the lifting hardware is on the bow. I wonder how long that would last. And I wonder how I'm going to find a replacement.

Here are a few shots of the engine.

And to prove it really is a Correct Craft (or at least has a CC badge)

I won't be able to get to it today, but Wednesday looks good for me to get back to work on at least one of my boats.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 12:51pm
So there was a 2" hose connected to the portapotty - anyone have a guess as to where it goes... and what went in it? I want to get that hose out of there.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Big t
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 1:21pm
It's probly was used to pump it out is there a clean out in the deck? Or it might be an old enuff set up to dump directly over board that's my guse

Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 1:22pm
Yeah, really nasty stuff went in it, and I bet that exit hose went to the bilge....

yikes!

Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Big t Big t wrote:

enuff guse

???

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Nice Find,

Did it come with a Wildlife Title or Bill of Sale ( free) something that will help you get it registered in New York State?

Donald

Wildlife title? It looks like it came with an entire wildlife sanctuary. I have never seen anything like that before.
Nice looking boat. It is enormous.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 11:06am
I would have loved to back that boat onto the ramp of some of the new england lakes just to see the look on the faces of some of the inspectors that look for foreign objects on the hulls ... I can see them just running at the boat screaming stop stop.

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: turningpoint84
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I would have loved to back that boat onto the ramp of some of the new england lakes just to see the look on the faces of some of the inspectors that look for foreign objects on the hulls ... I can see them just running at the boat screaming stop stop.

Hahah I would love that also.

didn't think those suckers culd attach onto brass.

-------------
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:35pm
You're right Peter, the milfoil inspectors wouldn't have known what to do with that one!

To be honest, all that stuff on the hull kind of creeps me out, I think I would have had to stop at a self serve car wash and used a scraper to get most off, see if the high pressure hose would do anything. Then again I'd feel guilty plugging up their drains ....

-------------

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:50pm
That barge would make a great home for a 572 crate motor

-------------
Brian

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:57pm
You are going to have to take that free boat back because I did see a FRAM OIL FILTER on that engine.

Donald

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Yikes! I'm not so sure there has ever been a 50 mph San Juan, and not so sure how it would handle at high speed, but I guess anything is worth a try. Seems like a fairly bow heavy boat that might want to bow steer suddenly at higher speeds.

I'm thinking a Peninsular 6.5 diesel. Unfortunately they are very expensive.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:02pm

Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Yikes! I'm not so sure there has ever been a 50 mph San Juan, and not so sure how it would handle at high speed, but I guess anything is worth a try. Seems like a fairly bow heavy boat that might want to bow steer suddenly at higher speeds.

I disagree. The v-hulls handle speed nicely and dont do any of the scary things that the flat bottoms do, even when eclipsing the 60mph mark. No tendencies to chine lock, rudder stall, etc. They get up and teeter on the center of the hull, pretty uneventful... even when bow planted (our BFN buries the nose around 55mph and keeps pulling from there). I bet you could put some good power to that tank.

-------------

Posted By: 79SNbrady
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:14pm
cant wait to see the SJ back on the water with a more hydrodynamically efficient hull

-------------
"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

1979 Ski Nautique - (stringer job completed summer 2012)
2007 236 Team - All White!

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:16pm
Well let's find out then! I get what you're saying about the v-hull, maybe instead of one person in the backseat it would need 3 people to get that bow up a bit.

Jeff, you haven't even started on it and a bunch of people are trying to talk you into putting 400 plus HP in the boat!

It does have a really nice hull profile!

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:21pm

I get what you're saying about the v-hull, maybe instead of one person in the backseat it would need 3 people to get that bow up a bit.

Unlike the flat bottomed boats, I have not found the v-hull to respond to additional weight in the back. Ours runs just as fast with 2 in front as with a back seat full. Definitely different hull dynamics!

-------------

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:28pm
Awesome photos !!

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 2:56pm
It's an Apex cool!! That motor screams around 5300 rpm. She been in the water for sommmeee time. Looks like you and I have the only free boats on the site!

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Unlike the flat bottomed boats, I have not found the v-hull to respond to additional weight in the back. Ours runs just as fast with 2 in front as with a back seat full. Definitely different hull dynamics!

I guess so, learn something here every day. What's top speed on your BFN these days?

I looked in the diaries, there's a GT-40 powered SJ, a few 454's, one 440. There's a twin 302, and I don't think I've seen a twin powered SJ or Cuddy with anything bigger than 302's. So, there's some 300 plus HP boats on this site, would be interesting to see some top speed numbers from them, and from the twin setup.

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 3:24pm
I think the 302's were the standard option for all the twins... probably because theyre the narrowest 8cyl. A single screw small block seems like it would be overworked in such a large boat... a buddy of mine had a 302 in a 20' Shamrock and it could be propped to come out of the hole nice, but topped out in the mid 30's. A big block would be a better option, I would think.

Still tuning props, etc on our BFN, but its running a consistent 61-62mph.

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 3:43pm
Tim - I know it's hard to see - I'll get some better pics and a number - but doesn't the prop on the SJ look ridiculously small?

And yeah, "Tank" is definitely the word to describe this thing.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 3:57pm
Tough to tell from the pics... might be a 13"? Doesnt look to have any extra clearance.

-------------

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 4:58pm
that is definitely a Nautank

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 5:02pm
That thing is pretty cool, I would get the apex running as it should be great economical power for that boat. It is not like you are going to be pulling slalom skiers or footers with the thing, if you can get the thing to cruise 30 mph at 3800 you would be doing pretty darn well. Run it down the intercoastal to florida for the winter!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It is not like you are going to be pulling slalom skiers or footers with the thing

Why not? With such a deep vee, I bet you could foot behind it in 3' seas!

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:28pm
I'll volunteer to ski behind it, might get some good air over the wakes! Would be a challenge to get back into the boat. Maybe it will be the ultimate surf machine.

Joe, you're right of course, the real practical thing is to be able to cruise efficiently at 24 - 32 mph. I think it would be a blast as a coastal day cruiser, or big lake cruiser. If I had to repower it though I'd definitely go with a big block.

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:35pm
There used to be one on our lake with a 318 and it seemed to cruise along pretty well. Their intended market wasn't looking to go fast or pull skiers and footers, although it may be the original surfing boat. Correct Craft was way ahead on surfing based on the '66 brochure.

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:57pm
The '68 brochure shows 5 different engine configs. WOW, 60 gallon tank! You sure don't want to guzzle the go-juice!

With a dry-weight of 4400 lbs, sure looks like the boat was a bit underpowered in all motors except the mercruiser...even the twins only combined to get you 250hp...

But then again, this was essentially just a party-barge, so the 250hp options were likely plenty...

Ultra

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:03pm

It is not like you are going to be pulling slalom skiers or footers with the thing

5 bucks a gallon for gas on the water is why not, having a big water crusier that you can't afford to cruise in is just plain ol annoying, big waters mean big distances to cover. Fuel injected small block is the way to be! (Unless you got diesel power money burning a hole in your pocket).

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:06pm

5 bucks a gallon for gas on the water is why not, having a big water crusier that you can't afford to cruise in is just plain ol annoying, big waters mean big distances to cover. Fuel injected small block is the way to be! (Unless you got diesel power money burning a hole in your pocket).

If I had that boat it wouldn't exceed 1000 rpms on Sebago Lake.

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:10pm
Economy, eh? Ive heard of it.

EFI... cant argue there. Big block vs. small? Are we sure that a big block propped appropriately wouldnt deliver the same economy (through reduced RPM's) as a small block?

Seeing as how he's got the makings of a EFI SBC, Id stick with it... but if it were me, and I was starting from scratch, a big block would get some serious consideration. And you'd better believe it would be getting ski pylon!

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:15pm
Jeff, do you plan to get the floor up this winter and take a look? We're these old SJ's foamed?

Im sure you're as fascinated as the rest of us to see what type of condition it's in....

Mark

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:16pm
Joe, if Jeff could afford to buy this boat he can afford to feed it fuel.

Oh, that's right, the boat was free ..... I'm still jealous!

I think we all agree that, assuming no major issues with it, he's best to run what it has now for a season and see how he likes it. I think all that's needed is with a load of 8 people and gear on board the boat should roll over the top and plane in a reasonable time.

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:40pm
Surfing was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw this thing in person. There really isn't any way of getting back into the boat. I'm going to have to build a swim platform and get a ladder for it.

Also, I noticed that the giant bow railing isn't there, and a somewhat close inspection makes me think it never was.

There was/is foam in it. The PO Joe said everything is encased in foam. We know what that means. I've also noticed a lot of delamination that looks exactly like my 84 looked. With that said, the stringer system looks to be a bunch of 2xs with minimal (if any) notches. I sent a few PMs to some of the other SJ owners but haven't seen any responses yet.

I stopped over my parents' house a few hours ago to check it out. It has been raining all day so I wanted to see how my tarps held up. Some more of the mussels have fallen off. The bases that they use to stick to the surface have hardened and have to be scraped off. I'd say I have about 85% of the mussels off but the rest is going to be a pain. I need to get it off the trailer and get underneath it. I think one more trip to the power washer is in order first.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:52pm
Does anyone know where I can find the lifting eyes? They are both this style:

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 11:31am
How soon do you need them? I'm going to part out my 1968-69 mustang, has nice healthy lifting eyes.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 11:36am
I think you better FedEx them. Jeff may want to drop that in the Mohawk river this weekend! Get on it!

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 11:52am
Well, I could drop it in the Mohawk... I did get the registration yesterday. Although it wouldn't move under its own power. Of course I'd be tackled by DEC if I let that thing near a waterway.

Wanted to make sure I didn't have any problems with the title from Mass. $57 later and I've got stickers.

Turning point - I am going to block it for now, but want to lift it soon. It is going to be fun trying to get those old rusted lifting rings out.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 12:00pm

It is going to be fun trying to get those old rusted lifting rings out.

If the threaded rods are shot, take a sawzall to them. It'll be more pleasant to remove the actual rings from the rods on the bench than in the boat.

-------------

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 12:11pm
Yes Jeff, just saw off those rods. I'd use a good hacksaw blade. Sawzalls can get out of control sometimes in small spaces, and BOOM, the blade gets shoved through the side of the boat!

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Yes Jeff, just saw off those rods. I'd use a good hacksaw blade. Sawzalls can get out of control sometimes in small spaces, and BOOM, the blade gets shoved through the side of the boat!

I'd still use a sawzall, they make very small metal cutting ones, 2-3" in length, so you don't have an " O *************** me" moment. :)

-------------

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

I'd still use a sawzall, they make very small metal cutting ones, 2-3" in length, so you don't have an " O *************** me" moment. :)

I'd say power tools should be fine, there looks to be a ton of room there!

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 2:53pm

As a self-proclaimed sawzall artist, I'd recommend more sawzall practice! I'm a surgeon with that tool- one of the best tools ever made by man.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

As a self-proclaimed sawzall artist, I'd recommend more sawzall practice! I'm a surgeon with that tool- one of the best tools ever made by man.

What's your brand?

-------------

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 6:46pm
You can get lifting eyes from Perko, you will have to buy or make new threaded rod stock and plates. Cool boat you probably had 400 lbs of marine life on that hull ?

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 7:36pm
That thing looks like it would be awesome to wakeboard behind. You should paint it lime green and black and call it the "SJ23".   

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

That thing looks like it would be awesome to wakeboard behind. You should paint it lime green and black and call it the "SJ23".   

I was thinking dedicated tube boat. I could fit a few already inflated tubes in there!

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 8:08pm
Pete will love seeing the San Juan "Tube Special" Woooo Hooooo !!

Date Posted: October-16-2012 at 9:04pm
I forgot to mention this... I usually average about 17.2 MPG in my truck. On the way out with the empty trailer it was 14.0. On the way back with the boat it was 7.7!

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: C-Bass
Date Posted: October-17-2012 at 12:03pm

I forgot to mention this... I usually average about 17.2 MPG in my truck. On the way out with the empty trailer it was 14.0. On the way back with the boat it was 7.7!

You didn't forget

And... my truck got 14MPG on the way out with just the trailer; it got 7.7MPG on the way home! But, it did well even going up those big hills in the Berkshires.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Date Posted: October-17-2012 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

You didn't forget

LOL I guess not.
Kick his ass seabass!

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 2:28am
A few more pics and comments.
Here is what it looks like after 1) Scraping as many mussels off as I could last Friday and Saturday with a shovel 2) Using a power washer at home for 30 mins 3) Going to a powerwashing place 2x and finally 4) scraping stuff off with a blade (actually the scraper end of a grill brush...).

I think I'm going to have to don the breather and goggles and go at the bottom with my angle grinder and a flapper disk.

You can also see how many coats of paint is on this thing. With all the paint, wet foam, and sea life, it probably has an extra 500 lbs! The barrel of mussels from Saturday had to be 120 lbs itself.

You can see the original doodoo mahogany gelcoat poking through in some spaces.

I also checked the tranny and it is indeed a BW 1:1 Velvet Drive 10-17-004. I may try to hoist the engine this weekend. The exhaust manifolds are worse than on my 84. One of the engine mounts is sooo rusted I'm not sure how I'm going to get it off. And one of the mounts has a lag that is only screwed in about 1/2 inch, with 2+ inches sticking up from the top.

I tried to get video of under the oil pan to see what I'm dealing with and can't see anything conclusive yet.

Suggestions on what you would do with the paint or any other ideas?

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 2:33am
Oh, I also tried to find the hull drain but haven't found one yet. Could it be there isn't one?

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 2:39am
Two questions - is that prop guard that extends down from the cutlass bearing housing unusual? And what is the round disk with a bolt through it visible on both sides of the rudder?

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 2:50am
The prop guard is part of the strut. You can see it http://www.nautiqueparts.com/strutsa-9-wbforcorrectcraftsanjuan.aspx" rel="nofollow - here.

The disk is a zinc anode for salt water. http://www.boatzincs.com/rudder.html" rel="nofollow - Example

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 3:01am

The prop guard is part of the strut. You can see it http://www.nautiqueparts.com/strutsa-9-wbforcorrectcraftsanjuan.aspx" rel="nofollow - here.

The disk is a zinc anode for salt water. http://www.boatzincs.com/rudder.html" rel="nofollow - Example

Yes, I just haven't seen a CC strut that had a guard like that before, kind of surprised me. I wonder if it's partly designed as a weed cutter.

Anode didn't occur to me. So, if it's on the rudder, is there another one somewhere to protect the shaft, strut, and prop?

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 8:36am
Jeff,
I'd go after the bottom paint with some Zip Strip before you try removing it mechanically. Then the very last I'd use a DA or RO sander.
David,
The extended skag on the strut is common on larger blue water boats.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:01am
looks like a good candidate for soda blasting

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:21am

Oh, I also tried to find the hull drain but haven't found one yet. Could it be there isn't one?

It's gotta be there somewhere. maybe still covered up with crap on the transom?

I'd second the power-wash with something more harsh before grinders and such. It'll come off....

I suspect you'll find a center drain when you pull the motor. I haven't been in one of these deep hull nautiques before, so it may not be visible.

Hoping to get down to the Fish Tique later, but that grab might push till Monday..

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:24am

You can see the original doodoo mahogany gelcoat poking through in some spaces.

Whats wrong with mahogany gel? Beats white paint by a mile! Id be stripping it down to the gel and restoring it, but thats just me.

That strut with the skag was pretty common on the large (glass) CC's in the 60's and early 70's. All of the 18'+ boats Ive seen have them- Wildcat, Tournament Skier, etc.

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 1:47pm
I would soda blast if it were mine !

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 1:58pm
Drain Plug Hunting:

The only Juan I am familiar with was a Twin inline 6 MerC I/O with the plug in the Transom.

Three locations to look:

Transom
Engine Room (doubtful)
V-Berth   (up-front, floor access panel, deepest part of the hull)

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 9:27pm
I would try some strong acid on the hull once you get within 1/8 inch of it!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 9:37pm
Mahogany actually turns into a nice cherry red with just a little wet sanding.

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:07pm
Hey Jeff, I agree, the acid wash will knock most of that stuff right off down to the bottom paint...

After that, I wouldn't be so quick about a repaint. It appears there is plenty of it on there to begin with. In looking at some of your pictures, there appears to be maybe layers of paint that came off, and then repainted over? Lots of layers when looking at the pictures of the exhaust area and along the sides near the transom where the green paint meets the cream color.

As you have likely seen, while it can be a fair amount of work, Gel Coat can be brought back, and to some extent, it's been protected with all the paint. In my opinion, if you're up for it, I'd get the paint off and bring it right back. It's easy enough to do a small flat section back at the transom area. You'll be surprise I think...

Keep the pictures coming....

Ultra...

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:29pm
I'm just afraid of getting down to the gel and finding spider cracks and bubbles all over. And, I think that mahogany SJ in the 1968 brochure looks hideous.
I really would like to restore it to original, but I think it is so far gone that it would be very costly. Seats, engine cover, floor, cuddy, lift rings, gauges, etc. would have to be done.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Mahogany actually turns into a nice cherry red with just a little wet sanding.

When I sanded my console Bruce,it seems to be very "intense". It got on everything even when wet sanding. I never polished it though so I don't know what the final result would be. Seems alot of CC's were that color.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:44pm
Give it a try Jeff and see what you get with a small section on the bottom or along the side. If you find the worse, it's not that big a deal to sand it all down correctly and re-shoot it with an appropriate paint.

Ultra

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: October-19-2012 at 12:42am

It's gotta be there somewhere. maybe still covered up with crap on the transom?

I'd second the power-wash with something more harsh before grinders and such. It'll come off....

I suspect you'll find a center drain when you pull the motor. I haven't been in one of these deep hull nautiques before, so it may not be visible.

Hoping to get down to the Fish Tique later, but that grab might push till Monday..

Deep hull nautique? Aw, c'mon..there is a definite overuse of the word "nautique" in the Correct Craft world. A San Juan is the furthest thing from a Nautique. "Correct Craft, since 1925". Nautique since when, 1961? The PO of my Southwind apparently felt compelled to put a "Nautique" sticker on the side windshield which cracks me up. Since it does not have a hull-side billboard, I guess he thought maybe no one has heard of Correct Craft but everyone has heard of Nautique. I say if you know inboards you know "Correct Craft" and if you don't, who cares??

That San Juan has truly great lines, there must be some real saltwater guys on CCFan that can give you the straight scoop on cleaing it up.

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: watrski
Date Posted: October-19-2012 at 12:52am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I would try some strong acid on the hull once you get within 1/8 inch of it!

+1 Find a janitorial supply store. It only works when it is above 60, FYI.

-------------
Tubing Sucks.

Date Posted: October-19-2012 at 3:09am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

That San Juan has truly great lines, there must be some real saltwater guys on CCFan that can give you the straight scoop on cleaing it up.

I'm a long way from salt water,but I do have a saltwater boat sitting on the lift in front of the house- They tape off the waterline and sandblast the bottom. Then new bottom paint is applied. 9 times out of ten the whole boat is painted also,it's just the way of life. Down where my Dad has been boating for over 30 years you don't see any that old either

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Print Page | Close Window