Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28155
Printed Date: June-30-2024 at 1:10pm

Topic: Shore station
Posted By: Toeboat
Subject: Shore station
Date Posted: October-22-2012 at 11:35pm
I ' m growing tired of trying to round up my few friends when it comes time to move the lift twice a year. Go for a ski in September no problem, help w lift 2 weeks later and the water is cold...weak excuse. Any clever ideas for low man power floating of lift in and out? What are you guys doing?

-------------
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo

Replies:
Posted By: Mrusso94
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:02am
Get a bunch of tire inner tubes, get them underneath the fixed lateral bars or cross-members down low... bungee them in place then go down with your air hose (you'll need a compressor close by)   scuba gear helps if the water is deep/cold..    Also not sure if you have neighbors with lifts or the accessibility of your shore line but if you have a few people right next to you with lifts talk to them about splitting the cost and having a crane come in.. If you can do a few lifts in one shot it can be pretty affordable and well worth it..

Posted By: Furno
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:46am
The going rate on our lake to have the hoist lifted out is $65. Well worth the money. You can leave the boat in longer with no lingering worries that you'll need to round up your friends, feed them, provide beer, and then listen to the complain about how cold the water is.   

-------------
Andy

'83 2001

Posted By: MI-nick
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:57am
i put in and take out my hewitt cantilever by myself every year...i disassemble it to do so...takes longer, but I can do it myself. it's definitely a PITA, but I don't need to count on other people.

-------------
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Posted By: watrski
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Toeboat Toeboat wrote:

I ' m growing tired of trying to round up my few friends when it comes time to move the lift twice a year. Go for a ski in September no problem, help w lift 2 weeks later and the water is cold...weak excuse. Any clever ideas for low man power floating of lift in and out? What are you guys doing?

I'll get a pic for you tommorow morning.

Tim

-------------
Tubing Sucks.

Posted By: ultrarunner
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 1:03am
You folks hauling your lifts because of potential ice-flows? I'm in Rochester, off the lake in the bay. Lift stays in. I did pull the canopy vinyl this year, but the lift has been in the water for about 8 or 9 years....

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 1:13am
The lake I'm on is part of a river system that is dam controlled, so there is a bit of a ice flow in the Spring, but the biggest issue is in early winter, after the ice is on the lake, they seem to drop the water/ice level about 3 feet. That ice will do some real damage. If they would drop the water level before it freeze, we would be able to leave the hoist in place.

-------------
Andy

'83 2001

Posted By: dochockey
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:00am

Hire it done

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:09am
We make a party out of it. We have 5-6 hoists between our crew. We pick a date that works for most, make sure there is plenty of beer, and remove the lifts on that day. We move all the lifts in about an hour. We also help with any of the dock work that any of the guys need help with. Not to be chauvis....cheuvan.....sexist, but the wives usually have something warm cooking. It's actually a fun day, and usually full of jabs and laughter, especially when Tom trips over a dock post and fills his waders with water.

Threadjack;
Furno, Where are you in Clarkston? I know I can get a crew together to do your hoist if you buy a round at the Union. It can be a r ound of beers , or a few orders of Mac-n-Cheese.   

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: turningpoint84
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:39am
Anyone have a lift in a boathouse? Do you remove yours or leave it in?

-------------
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:56am
Instead of inner tubes we use 2 rowboats under the cradle and winch it down to the frame. It is a 1 man job.

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:06pm
We use the inner tube technique to float them in along with a 10' or so 4X4 which is levered underneath the crossmembers to move it around as needed. Easy peasy deployment.

As for getting them OUT- forget it. 65.00/ea to have them pulled out by somebody else while I crack a beer on the couch. Our shoreline has about a 20" rise right where the water meets the shore- no thanks on any of that business nor the risk of injury. I only move them down hill.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:13pm
Tie her up to the back of the tahoe, put it in 4 low and remove your foot from the brake is my favorite removal method.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

You folks hauling your lifts because of potential ice-flows? I'm in Rochester, off the lake in the bay. Lift stays in. I did pull the canopy vinyl this year, but the lift has been in the water for about 8 or 9 years....

My neighbor was on the same program for many years, this spring it only took 3 divers with lift bags and several boats to retrieve them from 50 ft down on the bottom of the lake. Spring ice out took his docks and lifts with it, they hung on for a while, well at least until the deep water, lol

Like Hollywood mentioned, lower the lift carriage on to a couple row boats then winch the lower cross members up towards the carriage. Carriage wont go down as a result of the boats so the bottom of the lift raises up.

We drag em up the beach with a FWD and some ropes. In the spring use a quad with the plow blade on and push em back in the lake to float em back out using the boat winch technique.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:37pm
Wheel and tow bar kits are great. Otherwise, the local water crew for about $65.00 (no canopy) is a great deal. I do it!! Since I have a abrupt shoreline (16 steps up from the dock) They put it on a work boat and take it down to a neighbors beach. Put the wheels on it and pull it up.

No, a lift in a boathouse is subject to the same damage as leaving it out on shore.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No, a lift in a boathouse is subject to the same damage as leaving it out on shore.

Thanks,

I'll keep this in mind, i figure i can just lift it onto the boathouse piers with the boat hoists we still have attached if we ever get one.

I know i'm going to look into purchasing one this summer.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Thanks,

I'll keep this in mind, i figure i can just lift it onto the boathouse piers with the boat hoists we still have attached if we ever get one.

Why do you need a lift when you have hoists in the boathouse? Those things on a boat called lifting rings do have a purpose!!

I store two of my boats for winter in the boathouse by setting them on beams across the wet slips. The two beams on the left are for spaning the slips. The two on the right are setting up top to spread the load out to multiple floor joists.

Of course depending on what part of the country you are in, the term "boathouse" can mean different structures. Up here, a boathouse is a fully enclosed structure. I know down south, they call a roof only a "boathouse"!!! That's a joke!!! Where are you and what is your boathouse??

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 2:44pm

Thanks,

Why do you need a lift when you have hoists in the boathouse? Those things on a boat called lifting rings do have a purpose!!

I store two of my boats for winter in the boathouse by setting them on beams across the wet slips. The two beams on the left are for spaning the slips. The two on the right are setting up top to spread the load out to multiple floor joists.

Of course depending on what part of the country you are in, the term "boathouse" can mean different structures. Up here, a boathouse is a fully enclosed structure. I know down south, they call a roof only a "boathouse"!!! That's a joke!!! Where are you and what is your boathouse??

Peter thanks for the quick response.

Boathouse is located in Manitowish Waters, WI It's a big OL' 3 slipper, fits 23', 14' and a 17' boats and is full enclosed. We used to do the same exact thing, but big problem we have with our boat house is it sits on a massive footer, and in the fall they lower the lake water about 4ft, this means that footer is exposed to freezing and thawing. So according to my uncle the boat house footer lifts it's self about 12" up every winter out of the water. So the family is not a big fan of storing boats in there. Honestly though, i just can't find anyone that can give us an honest reason why we can't store the boats in there. It would be so damn nice to be able to. I've done a TON of work placing in new Footer supports, burying cement block 2' with rebar going 5-6' even furth down into the mud bed and filling with cement, just to support the massive decking.

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 2:53pm
My neighbor used to store his CC Mustang in his boat house until he sold the boat. I actually don't know if he even had a trailer for the boat. It never left our lake until he sold it.

He pretty much built the boathouse to accommodate that particular boat. So, it was built from the ground up with strong enough joists etc. to lift it from overhead.

Oddly enough, I don't think he used the lifting rings. I'm pretty sure he some kind of cradle made with heavy straps, where it would spend it's winter slumber. He didn't lift the boat regularly during the season, as the water by his boathouse was very calm.

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 5:38pm
TullFooter - On the threadjack - we're just a little north of Clarkston, so we're familiar with the Union and the Mac-n-Cheese. Some of the best around. I keep my boat on Secord Lake, which is in mid-mi. (great skiing lake when it's not busy.) A little further to go and no Union.

Someone suggested pushing the hoist in with a ATV with a plow. You've got to be careful with that as well. Like some of the others, our lake is pretty steep at the edge and I've seen one or two just keep going with a little push. Most of us have the hoist cabled to something on shore.

-------------
Andy

'83 2001

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 5:50pm
Move south? or pay someone? Nothing is easy- with boating.

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:13pm
Peter,
WTH are you talking about regarding "footers"?? Is the boathouse on cribs, pilings or concrete? If the later, you had better check with the DNR since they have some pretty tough restrictions even though Walker relaxed them.

I find it hard to believe that your uncle has a problem with storing boats in it. Fill me in more on his concerns.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:29pm

Peter,
WTH are you talking about regarding "footers"?? Is the boathouse on cribs, pilings or concrete? If the later, you had better check with the DNR since they have some pretty tough restrictions even though Walker relaxed them.

I find it hard to believe that your uncle has a problem with storing boats in it. Fill me in more on his concerns.

It's a seperate Massize concrete footer that supports the front of the boat house. It's 3ftx75ftx apparently 4ft deep. My Uncle has no say really on storing in the boathouse, he just thinks it's unsafe because this massive footer rises up in the winter according to him. I call him out on a lot of his BS, but it's very frustrating dealing with him, plus I'm never there in the winter, my goal is to take pictures of everything when i go up this winter and see how it reacts.

He tried "fixing" the boathouse about 10 years ago, charged my grandmother 100K, and the fix failed in 2 years it was crazy. The problem was the boat house was deattaching from the foundation that's up against the ground of the shore, plus a few other issues.

Feel free to ask away with any more questions. I can answer them as best I can, I really would love to store my 1970 in the boathouse every year.

Yes the DNR concerns me, we have one of the biggest and nicest pure boathouses on the chain and not being able to spend certain amounts to fix it is beyond crazy.

O and I built some concrete pilings myself, so support the rotting floor in spots, i then replaced the floor in spots as it was sagging. I wish i could redesign the whole damn thing, Poor a solid Rebar foundation.

-------------

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:41pm
10 years ago the DNR will be after his ass. Per them, you are only allowed to put 50% of the appraised valuation in repairs over it's lifetime!! Walker lifted that but not 10 years ago.

So, he feels he gets some frost heave when the water is lowered! What does that have to do with storing a boat?

Get a permit, move the boathouse off the concrete and have some decent pilings driven.

This is Charlies (brady) boathouse. He was able to get it classified as historical so he could do anything with it to bring it back to original!

Sorry about the small picture. They moved it on the ice about 100'. set new pilings and moved it back.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:49pm

HOLY great news, i had no clue that was possible, our boat house was only built in 1968(yes my Grandpa won in court to have it built right after they were outlawed) so probably a no go on the histoircal society, also IDK about moving that sucker, it's MASSIVE.

Would love to look into getting a permit to move it, you know the correct avenue to go?

-------------

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 8:29pm

also IDK about moving that sucker, it's MASSIVE.

Would love to look into getting a permit to move it, you know the correct avenue to go?

"Massive"??? No, it's a single story 3 slip!!! Charlies is a two story 3 slip!! Why do you think it's massive? I've seen two story 4 slips moved. BTW, Charlies boathouse was on the other side of the lake at one time. They moved it across the ice with a team of horses.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:24pm
Thanks for making me feel right at home, Peter. I see your boathouse almost every day in the summer. Maybe next summer we can get together with Andy up on Rest Lake and his red Mustang and have a Mustang parade over to the Tiki Bar.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:30pm
Going rate on my lake for the guy to come in and lift it out and put it onshore is $95. I can't bring myself to do that. So what to do I have on hand? Cradle goes up powered by 4000 lb winch and tubes. I figure I need two blocks( pulleys), a couple 5' 2x6 with a trailer roller on each end to span tubes. Tie a line to frame of lift on strbrd side, run on top of 2x6 on top of tube, then back down to frame on port side thru block. Snug up and tie back off to cradle which is lowered as far as possible. Cranking cradle up then pulls tubes down and floats lift. Move to shoreline and pull it out with JD 425.

-------------
Toeboat

06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo

Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:44pm
Some years ago I found the most expensive way to move a Shore Station. At the time I had one bad arm and a bad knee. I picked it up with a sling over my shoulders and my one good arm. I moved it to where I wanted it, a total of about 3'. The aftermath? The shoulder surgery to my one previously good arm was enough to buy a really nice ski boat and pay a crew to move the lift for years.

-------------

Date Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:30am

Going rate on my lake for the guy to come in and lift it out and put it onshore is $95. I can't bring myself to do that. So what to do I have on hand? Cradle goes up powered by 4000 lb winch and tubes. I figure I need two blocks( pulleys), a couple 5' 2x6 with a trailer roller on each end to span tubes. Tie a line to frame of lift on strbrd side, run on top of 2x6 on top of tube, then back down to frame on port side thru block. Snug up and tie back off to cradle which is lowered as far as possible. Cranking cradle up then pulls tubes down and floats lift. Move to shoreline and pull it out with JD 425.

Just Find a guy with a helicopter, simple solution.

I'm kidding, but would be quite funny seeing a helicopter brought in carrying a shore station.

-------------

Date Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:35am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Thanks for making me feel right at home, Peter. I see your boathouse almost every day in the summer. Maybe next summer we can get together with Andy up on Rest Lake and his red Mustang and have a Mustang parade over to the Tiki Bar.

John, definitely.

I have about 5 things i need to do mine before it's maiden voyage next summer.

1. Replace the exhaust, going to use my 1968's.
2. Change the oil, any chance you have a pump handy?
3. Replace the steering wheel.
4. install an automatic bilge, i might lift it in the boat house just in case, until i'm comfortable leaving it sitting in the water overnight.
5. Install a new Gas tank.
4. Pray the boat runs well
5. Pray it floats ok.

-------------

Date Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:37am

also IDK about moving that sucker, it's MASSIVE.

"Massive"??? No, it's a single story 3 slip!!! Charlies is a two story 3 slip!! Why do you think it's massive? I've seen two story 4 slips moved. BTW, Charlies boathouse was on the other side of the lake at one time. They moved it across the ice with a team of horses.

Ha, i guess not, it's the biggest on our chain i believe besides maybe 1 other.

I assume the time to move it is in the winter then???

-------------

Posted By: P71_CrownVic
Date Posted: October-24-2012 at 12:59pm
This is what I use. A chain and a strap. Then I pull it in with my Grandma's Buick.

Works like a charm.

EDIT: I should get into the habit of actually reading the whole thread before responding. But I'll leave the pic up should anyone else stumble upon this thread.

Honestly though, i just can't find anyone that can give us an honest reason why we can't store the boats in there. It would be so damn nice to be able to.

I'll give you a reason. More than likely, they are going to STOP lowering the water in the fall...or if they do lower it, half a foot to a foot MAX.

The evil Wisconsin DNR does not like the effect lowering the water 3-4 feet on our chain is doing to the wetlands in the area. Seems 70 years of doing the same thing is all the sudden a massive issue.

And I'd love to crash the Mustang parade.   

-------------

Date Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

I'm trying to figure out where you're at on the chain???

Usually I can pin point from just a picture, it's bothering me haha.

The picture JohnB posted of the red mustang is on the rest lake channel in front of the wistucky boat house, if i were to guess you were over on island, but like i said you picture is throwing me for a loop.

-------------

Date Posted: October-24-2012 at 5:01pm

Of course you can join in, but I don't think your boat would fit in without at least one scratch or imperfection in it.

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 4:56pm

The picture JohnB posted of the red mustang is on the rest lake channel in front of the wistucky boat house, if i were to guess you were over on island, but like i said you picture is throwing me for a loop.

I'm the same way! And you are correct, that is on Island Lake!

Of course you can join in, but I don't think your boat would fit in without at least one scratch or imperfection in it.

HA!

Well then the nice scratch I put in it earlier this year from the top of my trailer guide pole should be my ticket in!

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 5:09pm
Ha that was my guess, just didn't see any of the those damn lil islands out there in the picture.

Bet you're happy Umbachs/Harry's is back in business!

Love your lake, hardly any traffic on it in that area!

Really hope i can join in next year.

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 6:05pm

HA!

Well then the nice scratch I put in it earlier this year from the top of my trailer guide pole should be my ticket in!

I'm the first shack on the river just out of Stone, heading for Rest on the north shore, just west of the Barber Greene lodge on the corner. Stop in anytime in the summer, the beverage fridge is usually well stocked, and we love visitors with CCs. It looks a little sad this time of year with the boats out and the water going down. Andy's red Mustang photo was taken from my dock when he stopped to say hi. It was pretty dark at the time and the photo isn't very good.

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 6:50pm

HA!

I'm the first shack on the river just out of Stone, heading for Rest on the north shore, just west of the Barber Greene lodge on the corner. Stop in anytime in the summer, the beverage fridge is usually well stocked, and we love visitors with CCs. It looks a little sad this time of year with the boats out and the water going down. Andy's red Mustang photo was taken from my dock when he stopped to say hi. It was pretty dark at the time and the photo isn't very good.

I know that place well! That's a nice spot, i certainly will!

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 7:10pm
ALL OF YOU
What is up with the long crazy quoting? My goodness.

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 7:25pm

Ha that was my guess, just didn't see any of the those damn lil islands out there in the picture.

It's Hogans General Store now. And yes, we are very happy it's open. I refuse to buy gasoline at Musky Country as he overcharges like crazy. So, it was Dietez for gas.

I absolutely love our property on Island lake. Nothing across from us, and boats usually just turn around by the little tiny island and head back from where they came.

And lucky for me, my grandparents have property on both sides of the peninsula. So, I get some great sunsets. The sunset picture on www.manitowishwaters.org was one that I took.

There is no place in he world I'd rather be.

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

ALL OF YOU

Aren't you supposed to post the entire thread with every comment?

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 7:52pm

HA!

It's Hogans General Store now. And yes, we are very happy it's open. I refuse to buy gasoline at Musky Country as he overcharges like crazy. So, it was Dietez for gas.

I absolutely love our property on Island lake. Nothing across from us, and boats usually just turn around by the little tiny island and head back from where they came.

And lucky for me, my grandparents have property on both sides of the peninsula. So, I get some great sunsets. The sunset picture on www.manitowishwaters.org was one that I took.

ALL OF YOU

I think so... thats just proper etiquette. Get with it, Hollywood!

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 7:56pm
I'm too tired to edit these (again). :(

It will serve as a great example if what not to do.

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

HA!

ALL OF YOU

I think so... thats just proper etiquette. Get with it, Hollywood!

have we set a record with this one yet?

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 9:02pm
Store it in a boat house for the winter??? really limits
your boating.I'm going to store mine again this way this
year---

Here it is in Tennessee

Here it is at SJRR,why be boring when storing

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 9:12pm
One thing the DNR doesn't have much control over is water levels. They were stet "in stone" way back when the Wisconsin Valley Improvement Company was put in place and controlled all the damns. WVI lowers the water levels in anticipation of the spring runoff from snow pack out of every headwater of every reservoir system they control in northern Wisconsin. To my knowledge, they control every system south of the east west continental divide in northern Wi.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 11:37pm

One thing the DNR doesn't have much control over is water levels. They were stet "in stone" way back when the Wisconsin Valley Improvement Company was put in place and controlled all the damns. WVI lowers the water levels in anticipation of the spring runoff from snow pack out of every headwater of every reservoir system they control in northern Wisconsin. To my knowledge, they control every system south of the east west continental divide in northern Wi.

That is true on most waterways, but our chain bends the trend. The dam is owned and operated by Xcel Energy and there has been a study going on for the last 5-6 years intended to change the operating order that has been in place since 1937.
They lower our chain 3 1/2-4 feet every winter and it results in thousands of acres of wetlands being dry most of the year, and the people downstream n the river having very little water flow in the spring when we capture nearly all of it to fill our chain. We then hoard the water during dry times, unwilling to share with the people downstream and the Turtle Flambeau Flowage, a 13,000 acre wildlife refuge. It's good for our docks, Shore Stations, and boathouses, but there are environmental consequences. I'm somewhere in between on the matter, and since I don't have a boat house and I am a seasonal resident and therefore can't vote, I remain silent, but read all the impact studies and proposals..

http://dnr.wi.gov/water/basin/upwis/restlakedam/" rel="nofollow - DNR dam operation study and proposals

For those of you who live on the Manitowish Chain, the DNR has extended the time you have to comment on the study and proposals, so if you have a strong opinion read the info on the link and submit your comment. It is a somewhat lengthy read.

-------------

Posted By: scottb7
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 12:38am

Two shoremaster wheel caddy kits get's it up on 4 wheels. Then just pull out with winch or car or whatever.

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 1:33pm

That's right! Hogan's, great meat there. The vintage toy area is a little odd/creepy though IMO haha.

Yeah the guy as musky country seems like he's begging for someone to buy it, and for sunsets, best i've ever seen are up there, we have a great view ourselves.

I'll check out the website, usually go on greer's pier and check out the dock cams when i'm missing the place haha.

-------------

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 1:35pm

I'm too tired to edit these (again). :(

It will serve as a great example if what not to do.

Does it really make a difference? we are bogging down the server?

-------------

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 2:51pm
I would absolutely classify wasteful site activity as bogging down the server.

-------------

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 4:25pm
I have a Floe boatlift and one of the best features are the screwjack legs. I raise the lift legs(insert a socket on a battery drill and push the button)This could be done ,maually on those pull the pin types. Then once the lift is high up on it's legs I back a pontoon boat trailer under the lift, crank it up until the legs are off the bottom, raise the legs up, put a safety stramp or two to keep it secure on the trailer and pull it out, back it into the spot out of the way, and lower the trailer and raise the legs so I can pull out the trailer. I then back the traile in the water, float over and and store my dock sections (aluminum 4 x10)onto the trailer and pull them out too. My pontoon trailer has a tongue that extends about 3 feet which helps a great deal. The whole project is done by just myself and an 11 year old boy and we've been doing it this way for years.
Returning to the water in the spring is just the opposite procedure

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 4:53pm

I thought we were in the part of the forum where we could discuss anything? I'm sorry if you find this wasteful, but me knowing there's 3 other guys within 2 miles of where i store my 1970 mustang is very nice to know. Especially guys that would help me out with any issue that I have. We're sorry if we're also talking about this amazing place that the 4 of us have had been lucky enough to spend time at and take our boats out on.

What is the point of this place then, what is meaningful site activity?

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 4:58pm
Talk back and forth off topic all you want.. we do that here, just dont quote the entire conversation every time you respond having the exact same text and pictures over and over and over is a waste of resources bandwith and frankly the time of anyone trying to get to the bottom of the page.

Quotes are important when you are trying to reply to something specifically stated earlier in the thread, simply delete everything else in the message other than what you are responding to and make the world a better place.   

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Talk back and forth off topic all you want.. we do that here, just dont quote the entire conversation every time you respond having the exact same text and pictures over and over and over is a waste of resources bandwith and frankly the time of anyone trying to get to the bottom of the page.

Quotes are important when you are trying to reply to something specifically stated earlier in the thread, simply delete everything else in the message other than what you are responding to and make the world a better place.   

Yeah i started doing that after hollywood pointed it out to me, it is quite annoying I'll agree, i just didn't know if their was another reason!

-------------

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 6:11pm

That is true on most waterways, but our chain bends the trend. The dam is owned and operated by Xcel Energy and there has been a study going on for the last 5-6 years intended to change the operating order that has been in place since 1937.
They lower our chain 3 1/2-4 feet every winter and it results in thousands of acres of wetlands being dry most of the year, and the people downstream n the river having very little water flow in the spring when we capture nearly all of it to fill our chain. We then hoard the water during dry times, unwilling to share with the people downstream and the Turtle Flambeau Flowage, a 13,000 acre wildlife refuge. It's good for our docks, Shore Stations, and boathouses, but there are environmental consequences. I'm somewhere in between on the matter, and since I don't have a boat house and I am a seasonal resident and therefore can't vote, I remain silent, but read all the impact studies and proposals..

http://dnr.wi.gov/water/basin/upwis/restlakedam/" rel="nofollow - DNR dam operation study and proposals

For those of you who live on the Manitowish Chain, the DNR has extended the time you have to comment on the study and proposals, so if you have a strong opinion read the info on the link and submit your comment. It is a somewhat lengthy read.

Thanks! Interesting read, will be interesting in what they decide. I'm happy aslong as we're above 7'. I do wonder about the cleat lake people though, even when the water is high, that's still not easy to get a boat through, lose 18" would seem crazy.

My other huge issue is obviously our boat house, it would be pretty much useless if the water were to be down a foot, along with a lot of peoples permanent docks.

Also not lowering the water in the winter would crate a ton of ice issues.

This will be interesting to see how it develops.

I wonder if they've considered raising the water even more in the spring?

Go to 9' 6" and then allow it to go down 8'.

I'd be happy with more water.

-------------

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 7:09pm
OMFG. You just did it again.

-------------

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 7:13pm

OK if i removed Pbrainard it's maybe a 1/10th of the screen, if i don't quote JohnB my post makes no sense, it would be in reference to nothing.

What are you? the Quote Nazi?!!!!!!

Who do i need to donate $ to to get you off my back?

-------------

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 7:38pm
Peter, I don't think you will have a Boathouse problem regardless of what they do. Yours is more or less a pocket Boathouse, so you shouldn't have the big ice issues.
The DNR issues permits to excavated your boat house, and Chuck Kramer of Chucks Excavating cannot do the permitting process and the work. He excavated my friends boat house last year because the sand had moved making it shallow. Chuck is a great guy and does very nice work. You can find him some evenings at the Rustic, he is the really huge guy.
Personally I think they will just decide to draw it down less than 2', but this is based on blue sky. The passage to clear is a little over 4' at full pool, so I don't see much of a problem there. I frequently go to Wild Rice Lake too and never have a problem.

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 7:55pm

What are you? the Quote Nazi?!!!!!!

Careful, he'll start changing your avatar picture before too long.

-------------

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 8:10pm
All I can say is:   Thank You, Thank You Quote Nazi !!!

And quoting pics ???   I'm like WTF ???

Now we need a Resizing Nazi !!!

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 9:16pm

I've often wondered if you can deny/reduce the strange spam threads that show up fairly often.

(although it is convenient to go to just one website to both solve a mechanical issue, and find a new handbag to match my shoes)

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 9:45pm

Peter, I don't think you will have a Boathouse problem regardless of what they do. Yours is more or less a pocket Boathouse, so you shouldn't have the big ice issues.
The DNR issues permits to excavated your boat house, and Chuck Kramer of Chucks Excavating cannot do the permitting process and the work. He excavated my friends boat house last year because the sand had moved making it shallow. Chuck is a great guy and does very nice work. You can find him some evenings at the Rustic, he is the really huge guy.
Personally I think they will just decide to draw it down less than 2', but this is based on blue sky. The passage to clear is a little over 4' at full pool, so I don't see much of a problem there. I frequently go to Wild Rice Lake too and never have a problem.

My mom and chuck are on a 1st name basis, he knows me pretty well too.

Problem is our boathouse has 1 large cement footer that goes across the front. so back in the summer of 2007, when the water was really low the rudder on our 99 supra would smack against it when big waves came into the boathouse to the point of where we had to move it to the floating dock, another DNR favorite.

So we're f'd!

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 12:39am
Thanks for the ideas. I got it with tubes under the frame and using pier sections as ramps into the yard.

-------------
Toeboat

06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 2:49am
Ok, enough about the quotes. We get it.

Secondly, I wish they evil Wisconsin DNR would just leave our water levels the hell alone. 70+ years we have operated this way.

I don't care about the sturgeon, I don't care about wetlands that dry up in the winter, etc.

Frankly, my grandma payes a lot of money to use that chain. We expect water in the spring, and a draw down in the winter so we don't have to pull things completely in.

Again, 70+ years of the same exact thing. Without a full pool, the town would not exist and there would be no attraction to the area. That area is dependant on that chain of lakes and a full pool. Monkeying with the water levels is not an option.

If it were up to the evil Wisconsin DNR, they would have the dam removed completely and return the area to what it was over 100 years ago.

The DNR needs to stop this colossal waste of everyones time. Remember 2007?

BEFORE:

AFTER (yes, this was taken during the HEIGHT of the summer season)

Same area, same lift.

Problem is our boathouse has 1 large cement footer that goes across the front. so back in the summer of 2007, when the water was really low the rudder on our 99 supra would smack against it when big waves came into the boathouse to the point of where we had to move it to the floating dock, another DNR favorite.

So we're f'd!

I always would see that Supra there when we would go to Voss' in the morning for breakfast.

2007 was a disaster, and the reason I think the Wiscon DNR is more crooked than Bernie Madoff.

I have a TON of pictures of the destruction they caused in 2007.

------------

John, with the water where it belongs, I was able to get my boat to every lake on the chain without problem, but I *HATE* going through Fawn/Stone. Every damn time I go through there I hit something. Which wouldn't really bother me as I go slow, but the fact that I'm driving between the red/green bouys and STILL hitting things has me a bit irritated. If you're going to put up bouys, at least make sure that the area you are telling people to navigate is clear of hazards.

And as soon as I become king of the world, I'm removing all of the pointless bouys OUT of the Island Lake/Spider Lake channel. I was able to successfully navigate that channel before I was 10...so if adults can't do it now, get off my chain.

Wow, I must be angry tonight...I need a Valium

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 3:37pm
Haha, u laugh everytime is the bug rock n front of that boathouse scratched up even with the bouys there.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 3:48pm
Oh yeah. It still has a nice aluminium top to it.

And that's, again, part of my beef. If you're going to tell people where to navigate, at least make sure the channel you specify is clear. If I were to actually follow the buoys from Spider into Island, I would hit the rock.

And the green one from Island to Spider can go WAYYY closer to the sand bar.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:09pm
Buoys are only "navigational aids". Read your DNR booklet!!!!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:36pm
Well then there's no point to these buoys in question as even without them there really is only one path you can take.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:40pm
Without another major multi year drought I doubt we will see anything like the summer of 07 again.

-------------

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:43pm
there is more wasted space in this thread than in " I didnt build that"

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 7:22pm

Without another major multi year drought I doubt we will see anything like the summer of 07 again.

Come on John, you know full well that our water levels were far lower than other lakes in the area in 2007. The DNR KNEW that we were dumping far too much water over the dam and yet continued to strong arm the dam operators into releasing more water than they ever should have. we had someting like 14 CFS coming into the chain and they were releasing anywhere from 50 to closer to 70 CFS.

------------------------

Quote there is more wasted space in this thread than in " I didnt build that"

No one forced you to read it.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 7:55pm

Well then there's no point to these buoys in question as even without them there really is only one path you can take.

Yes, the deeper path! Once again, those red and green buoys are only aids. Your on your own navigational skills!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-28-2012 at 4:20pm
Depth isn't the issue. It's plenty deep enough. But I just think that if you are going to put buoys out directing people where to go, hen you have an obligation to ensure that path is clear. Otherwise the buoys are pointless.

-------------

Date Posted: October-28-2012 at 11:24pm

Come on John, you know full well that our water levels were far lower than other lakes in the area in 2007. The DNR KNEW that we were dumping far too much water over the dam and yet continued to strong arm the dam operators into releasing more water than they ever should have. we had someting like 14 CFS coming into the chain and they were releasing anywhere from 50 to closer to 70 CFS.

I'm not sure they knew it. I don't believe they had any incentive to screw it up, but they had a steep learning curve after 2007. The flow is not regulated by law to 25% of what is coming into the chain, but to a minimum of 25% of the normal downstream flow. 2007 was the first year they tried with any precision to determine the flow rate and their calculations were not accurate. In addition, the drought did not help. The new electronically monitored sluice gate has been instrumental in determining what the flow actually is. Before that Bill could not put an additional board in the dam until there was a minimum flow somewhere in the neighborhood of the height of the board plus 2". That translated into about 8" of flow over the boards before installing another one. The lake didn't have enough flow in 07 to ever install all of the boards. With the new sluice gate flow can be pretty much infinitely varied. They haven't had any problems since 2007, but I have my eyes open. The chain was near high water mark all summer, and was over the target for several weeks. I hope we don't need to litigate with the DNR, but we have the Defense Fund waiting in case we do.

-------------

Date Posted: October-29-2012 at 2:38am

I'm not sure they knew it. I don't believe they had any incentive to screw it up, but they had a steep learning curve after 2007.

They knew. Full well:

Quote To top things off, it was discovered that the DNR knew from its own water flow measurements that Xcel Energy was inadvertently already putting more water through the dam than the DNR was trying to achieve.

They didn't say a word.

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=10&SubSectionID=10&ArticleID=6697" rel="nofollow - Lakeland Times

Honestly I think a lot of the DNRs vendetta against the Manitowish Chain is backlash because they lost against that guy on Alder lake.

-------------

Date Posted: October-29-2012 at 12:01pm

Honestly I think a lot of the DNRs vendetta against the Manitowish Chain is backlash because they lost against that guy on Alder lake.

Alder lake guy?

We talking about Tom Baer? I've been in his house and his boat house it's quite the sight!!!!

Not sure if you guys know, but he built his own private lake, it has a diving cliff with an aerator to break your fall, all the dirt piled up now made it so he has the highest point in the county lol.

Pretty insane he is, his all electric wood boat is another head spinning feat of his.

I have so many crazy stories about that guy, skiing on the ski team when his son was on it, we learned a ton about him.

The best story is he walked into a shop in Maniwaters, there was a picture of a guy in an early 1950's skiboat with a 50hp mercury taken in front of his house on Alder lake. So he researched for 4 years looking for everything to replicate the picture, down to the hat the guy was wearing. It's the reason why he bought the boat, just to have a picture of himself taken in the same exact spot. So he has a picture of himself riding in the boat with the same exact stance and the one taken 60 years earlier next too it framed in the boathouse.

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: October-29-2012 at 4:35pm

Ignorance is bliss.

Seriously, McFly?? A case where his own quote was most appropriate, lol

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: October-29-2012 at 10:08pm

Alder lake guy?

We talking about Tom Baer? I've been in his house and his boat house it's quite the sight!!!!

Yeah!!! That's him!

I couldn't remember his name. He does have a nice place...and cameras all over.

He reminds me of Howard Hughes. A guy with tons of money and does cool/odd things with it. I'd love to see his place.

-------------

Date Posted: October-29-2012 at 10:58pm
I don't know Tom, but I have met him several times at the Tiki Bar in his electric launch. I believe he said it is a fiberglass hull fitted out with mahogany, and made in Germany. If you attended any of the town meetings regarding his request for zoning changes over the years you are aware that he threatened to bankrupt the town if they didn't approve his request, after he had already violated the zoning ordinance and put in a cranberry bog on some land. He has been a thorn in the town's side for a long time. That being said, he does have some interesting toys. He reminds me of Fred Nielsen of Blarney Island fame in that fedora and dark clothes he always wears.
Here"s Fred's boat, he is driving wearing the black clothes and fedora, pretty cool. I believe he said it tops out at about 170.
http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?77137-Skater-368-Idling-Video" rel="nofollow - Fred's Skater

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2012 at 2:59am
The house is nice, it's very eclectic, had custom beams putin, has an antique bowling alley in the basement, but you have to replace the pins manually so it take the fun out of it.

Has 2 of these insanely cool, music box deals. It's a machine that plays 4 instruments mechanically. It's pretty insane.

The only tv in the house is in the movie theater, as for the cameras everywhere, lol, no1 watches them at least i think, we did what we wanted when we went to parties their, plus i just walked to the lake and swam in it, and climbed up the big new Mount MW.

The boat mighty have been made in germany, but the electric part was all custom done in his work shop near his new lake, remember he had guys working on it all summer back in 07 or 08.

Alder lake is quite interesting, Baer owns like 2000+ft of frontage, the government owns the beach area and probably another 1/3 of the lake, and my friends the Bartlings who own the cranberry bogs, own about a 1/3 of the lake themselves, there's really not to many small single lake homes on it, except near wild rice channel.

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2012 at 6:01am
I used to work for Barb Bartling at LaPortes back in the day. I can't believe she sold the store. I saw her son Steve and their black Mastercraft on Island Lake this summer. He was with a friend with an old Century inboard. We chatted for a bit.

May I ask, are you related to the McGraws that own Chippewa Retreat? I seem to remember a wooden sign on the front of that property you posted that said something like R.C. McGraw or something very similar.

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2012 at 11:17am
Yea he's my uncle, the one that "fixed" our boathouse.

I'm actually a Mcgraw through my mom, all that money over their is from My aunt who runs the shop across highway 51 from Hogan's.

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2012 at 2:26pm
That is a beautiful job your uncle did on Chippewa! When I bought my shack up there Chippewa was not very attractive, especially the 4 unit place on the lake. It is a jewel now.
The Bartlings are wonderful people too. I bought my shack from Peter. BTW, I just don't agree with the way Tom has dealt with the town at times. He did a really nice job on Mill Point and is an interesting guy, judging by a couple of short conversations and his toys.

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2012 at 5:47pm

I'm actually a Mcgraw through my mom, all that money over their is from My aunt who runs the shop across highway 51 from Hogan's.

Ah yes, I worked for her too!

I drove George to drivers ed in St Germain many years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2012 at 7:24pm

Ah yes, I worked for her too!

I drove George to drivers ed in St Germain many years ago.

Small world that's my cousin.

-------------

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: October-31-2012 at 5:01pm
Tom Baer! My company did the HVAC automation in his main house. I spent many weeks there when under construction and the first few months of occupancy. He has 3 air handling units and a chiller in a private residence!   Neat guy, cool boats and amazing compound.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: October-31-2012 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Tom Baer! My company did the HVAC automation in his main house. I spent many weeks there when under construction and the first few months of occupancy. He has 3 air handling units and a chiller in a private residence!   Neat guy, cool boats and amazing compound.

Chiller? You mean a central A/C or is this something different for up in the Northwoods? Reason why I ask is, you might have some business! haha.

-------------

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: October-31-2012 at 6:15pm
A chiller is a central cooling unit that makes cold water.   The cold water is piped to coils much like freon woudl be, but generally on a MUCH larger scale... Pretty extravagant for a residence, not to mention EXPENSIVE!

Date Posted: October-31-2012 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

A chiller is a central cooling unit that makes cold water.   The cold water is piped to coils much like freon woudl be, but generally on a MUCH larger scale... Pretty extravagant for a residence, not to mention EXPENSIVE!

Ahh yes! I got ya, yeah that's a Tom Baer move, i understand just didn't put 2 and 2 together with it going into a residence, lol.

-------------

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: October-31-2012 at 6:43pm
Yes, Dreaming is correct. While the capital cost is a lot higher than DX units (think central air compressors), they are often less expensive to run, last longer and provide very even temperature control when tied to water coils and valves.

For a residence, it ain't the Cadillac. It is a Bentley with an Aston Martin thrown in for when you only have one passenger.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: October-31-2012 at 7:26pm
not just that but you dont have to worry about r22 to 410a changes and who knows when or what the next miracle refrigerant will be

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: October-31-2012 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

not just that but you dont have to worry about r22 to 410a changes and who knows when or what the next miracle refrigerant will be

not quite.... the refrigerant is there, its just stuck in the chiller instead of being piped through the system.   Not sure how this system is designed, but usually small chillers are air cooled, this makes them really loud in comparison to DX cooling.   They must have a mechanical room underground or in a remote location to make the noise level balance out. Caddy, Bently, Aston Martin... good analogy    

Date Posted: October-31-2012 at 8:28pm

Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Chiller? You mean a central A/C or is this something different for up in the Northwoods? Reason why I ask is, you might have some business! haha.
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Think about what is piped through large buildings!!!!!!! It's not a refrigerant but typically a chilled glycol. I'm currently working on a 500 ton system for process cooling as well as space cooling.

Another way to look at it, that "box" next time you are at a motel/hotel, is not typically a "air conditioner" as you perceive.

BTW, for a large complex, he was probably smart. Cheaper due to all the ductwork needed for a typical HVAC forced air system is not needed. It really comes to play when there are large distances between buildings. Have you though about the air handlers needed and the static pressure drops over long distances? That's not saying air handlers/coils are not needed but they supply a very local small area.

The management system Steve installed is typical these days and has been for many years. Think about this, What happens when the sun is on one side of a large building and it's shaded on the other?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-01-2012 at 1:22am
I was going to make a redneck Chiller, pump or 40degree F Pump water that comes into the house though some pipes(about 50ft of 3/8 copper), and route our Cold Air return to run through it.

It was pretty hot in the northwoods this summer, so i rewired the furnace with a 5 wire programmable thermostart to just run the fan and it cooled the house about 5 degrees. Going from 81 to 76 really is nice.

I put a big vent at the cold air return, so it would suck up the cold basement air, I just wanted to take this a step further haha.

Or I can just build one of these lol.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window