Print Page | Close Window

surfing

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Ski, Ride and Foot Talk
Forum Discription: Share photos, techniques, discuss equipment, etc.
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28643
Printed Date: June-17-2024 at 12:54pm

Topic: surfing
Posted By: 75 Tique
Subject: surfing
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 1:30pm
Kind of a fuss yesterday and today over on PN that "Nautique" just announced a new "surf system". I know its the "latest craze" and that many of you are into it, and thats fine, I have nothing against it, I just dont get it. Maybe I'll take it up around the same time I take up knitting, when I am in my 80's or 90's. Just seems boring to me. I see pics and to really step it up a notch, the surfer will hold a can of beer while surfing (snore). I much prefer the exhilaration, power and speed of slalom and footing. Hard to believe the industry is catering to and engineering for surfers. Surfers are going to become the next jet skis. Ballast and short ropes are already banned on our lake, but it is an exceptionally small lake. Maybe not a big deal on bigger lakes

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 1:43pm
Larry, you should just stay off those site's.Conspiracy theorists might have you believe you are being set up for the day when Nautiques are displacement hulls due to fuel prices and no V8's How else are you going to enjoy watersports with an electric boat

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: jbach
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 1:57pm
you should try it. we surf once the water gets choppy. it's also basically no impact for those with knee or back problems. oh yeah, and fun.

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Kind of a fuss yesterday and today over on PN that "Nautique" just announced a new "surf system". I know its the "latest craze" and that many of you are into it, and thats fine, I have nothing against it, I just dont get it. Maybe I'll take it up around the same time I take up knitting, when I am in my 80's or 90's. Just seems boring to me. I see pics and to really step it up a notch, the surfer will hold a can of beer while surfing (snore). I much prefer the exhilaration, power and speed of slalom and footing. Hard to believe the industry is catering to and engineering for surfers. Surfers are going to become the next jet skis. Ballast and short ropes are already banned on our lake, but it is an exceptionally small lake. Maybe not a big deal on bigger lakes.

G0lf = spam Larry, so I fixed it for you.

I have no problem with surfing. We'll give it a go when the conditions get blown out or there is a bunch of boat traffic. Same goes for the disc, hydrofoil, etc. When the conditions are unsuitable for slalom or barefooting, whats the harm? It beats tubing, thats for sure.

We're on a very small lake as well- the only people who have figured out how to surf are the people into watersports... its the tubers and jet skiers that are the problem. Surfing (at least the basic standing up and catching the wave type) may be "low skill" but its not "no skill" like tubing. Nothing wrong with having another excuse to get off the lawn and get behind a boat on a nice day.

-------------

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 2:22pm
Larry, I somewhat agree with you but I will say I do enjoy the surfing aspect. I love a good slalom run just as much as the next guy but not everyone is like you and I my friend. I've gone several times behind nautique hunters 210 and have enjoyed every run. It's different, challenging and a different thrill knowing its just you, a board and the water. jbach is correct in saying when the water turns to shazz bust out the surfboard instead of a tube. It's also a great way to continue being on the water when you're hanging with your buds and you just don't have enough left in you for that slalom or barefoot run.
Should be interesting to see how the lake communities react to this one.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 2:23pm
I like to surf, but it is dangerous because the surfer is a sitting duck when they fall. It takes awhile to turn around our ballasted boat without swamping.

We often see a PWC follow & jump our wake, sometimes they forget to watch where they are going :(

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 2:53pm
Larry,
Think about it.. From a marketing aspect, they need to do something different, and to cater to what the next craze is and perhaps whats easier to do by many.. Not sure if you've ever tried it, as it is pretty fun, and especially when the conditions suck for otherwise...

That or tubing??? Which one is a better choice.???

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 3:01pm
Surfing, weather you like it or not, is the way the whole water sport industry is going. The number one boat question asked when a possible buyer walks into the store is how is the surf wake. It is something the whole family can do and it doesn't hurt when you fall. CC had to do something fast with the surf gate stuff coming out on the Malibu. Thankfully for 12 and early 13 buyers we can add the system to the boats with Linc Screens. I prefer slalom and foot for the speed but if it's choppy I've been considering the idea of giving it a shot. Can't hurt and your on the water instead of on the land. But early AM wakeboarders and surfers make me .

-------------

Posted By: C-Bass
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 3:16pm
It definitely is more fun than sitting around wishing the water was better to go skiing, or when you're already exhausted from skiing. It is easy to try different things on the surfboard to keep things interesting. I think it gets boring just standing in the pocket and riding forever.

Here was some afternoon sit-down surfing on a desolate Dale Hollow Lake.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 3:35pm
And how many of these surfer only folks are going to wait for bad conditions to throw a monster wake destroying any all ski able water on your lake?? Like the tubers and jet skiers, they won't!!
One of the biggest issues for me is the impact these tsunamis have on the lake as well as a safety concern for our low riding boats.
Once again, low skill water sport event = popular. Tubing and Surfing 1 & 2.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 4:09pm
I guess I'll be the only one on the lawn. I've surfed and I'm sure I will again but really only when going out on a boat already going (@ CCF events).

-------------

Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I guess I'll be the only one on the lawn. I've surfed and I'm sure I will again but really only when going out on a boat already going (@ CCF events).

HW, I bet with a little bit of practice you can tweak/perfect the above position, so you can do it while you are sleeping off those 20 or 30 Coors Lights...kind of like multitasking...why waste good water napping.

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Surfing, weather you like it or not, is the way the whole water sport industry is going. The number one boat question asked when a possible buyer walks into the store is how is the surf wake.

Sad, but I am sure it's true. Kind of like how the first 47 pages of the Overton's catalogue is towables, except a towable doesn't cost $80,000.

-------------

Posted By: dip
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 4:32pm
Never surfed and I can attest to the tsunamis but I will say there were a couple of boats full of very cute, very bikini clad girls surfing in our cove, with the girls actually surfing. Don't see much of that with slalom or even wakeboarding.

Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I agree completely with you Quinner. As a secondary sport I don't mind it but I would only consider doing it when the water was too rough to Slalom or Foot. Thing about footing and slalom and even good wakeboarding it takes time to get good and not everyone can do it.

-------------

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 5:19pm

Precisely.

To be really good at Surfing, is difficult. But, for the average guy, almost anyone can get up and ride a surfboard first day. Easy is popular. Same with wakeboarding. Difficult to get really good. But for the average guy, much easier to get up and ride away on a wakeboad than a water ski. Easy is popular.

Of course, tubing equals no skill at all, and, accordingly, most popular activity of all.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Keith
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 5:33pm
I agree that I'd much rather be skiing slalom or footing. With that said, I love surfing. It's a great time, especially when I'm all skied out - a lot like tricking.

The other factor for me is that it's something we can do when we're out with a boat full of people. With our 'new to us' Sport, we're often maxed out with nine people in the boat, out on the water for the day. With a boat load like that, serious slalom is hard and footing in out. No to mention, that most can't foot and are only average skiers. We will typically pull all the kids skiing, one or two adults skiing and then load up the ballast and get out the surfboard. It's pretty easy to get people up and no one gets sore, never mind hurt, and we can pretty much surf until we run out of day light.

In addition, I had a handful of nights last summer where I took out a bunch of my non-skiing buddies to the lake near our house after work. Surfing was the perfect pastime.

In my experience, surfing without the rope is really only easy for accomplished water skiers / boarders. It seems hard for those less experienced behind the boat.

Last season I was recovering from knee surgery and was only able to surf and not until Labor Day. I can honestly say that after an entire season of only being able to drive everyone else, I thought surfing was amazing.

In general, I think surfing is a blast. It's never going to replace slalom or footing for me but it has it's place behind my boat especially when it gets more friends out on the water with my family.

Nautiques new system seems like a great innovation, specifically because of the ease is setup, ability to tweak the wake and the reduced the need for ballast (which can be unsafe). I think a large part of the market is looking for the all around boat - like the new Sport 200 - that has great performance and suits the family. The new Nautique Surf System would only make a boat like the Sport 200 that much better. I know it makes me want one even more!

-Keith

-------------
Former:
/diaries/details.asp?ID=6170" rel="nofollow - 97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang

Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 5:41pm
Dip your on to something, Surfing is like driving a toyota or carrying a purse, ideal for a girl!!

Nice work Timmy, your 3 for 3!!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 5:47pm
Larry, this is for you

5 months post ACL reconstruction to my left knee:

-Keith

-------------
Former:
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang

Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 6:01pm
I'll give you that one Keith*, what with the knee and all.

But Eric, I am pretty sure wasn't coming off of any recent surgery*.

And Tim, well he's skiing (and therefore presumably going more than 8 mph) not surfing, so maybe he gets a pass*, too.

*Disclaimer: Just playing around here guys. I don't really think I am in any place to pass judgement. If its on the water and you are having fun and you aren't hurting anyone, I'm all for it.

-------------

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 6:16pm
With recent changes to teaching techniques barefooting can be "learned" in one outing by anyone at any age. I can easily teach anyone to foot in the swing, without falling, day one.

Granted: you need smooth water.

In the California Delta you deal with ships, tugboats, large cruisers throwing huge wakes so somebody's surfing wake is not really anything to complain about. Pretty sure one surf boat can ruin a whole lake with it's surf wake.

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

With recent changes to teaching techniques barefooting can be "learned" in one outing by anyone at any age. I can easily teach anyone to foot in the swing, without falling, day one.

Just wish they could spend a little of that RD money on a new barefoot boat.

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 9:10pm
Yawn, except for the part about the bikini clad observers. Surfing just isn't that much fun. IMO. There was a time when I felt otherwise, but it just feels that the possibilities are pretty limited.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 9:21pm

And how many of these surfer only folks are going to wait for bad conditions to throw a monster wake destroying any all ski able water on your lake?? Like the tubers and jet skiers, they won't!!
One of the biggest issues for me is the impact these tsunamis have on the lake as well as a safety concern for our low riding boats.

Chris,
You stated the issue very well. I totally agree.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 9:37pm
You Senior CCFans should know better in that 95% of us here are not going to ruin perfectly good water to surf. It's ski or barefoot FIRST. When the water is ripply the wakeboards usually come out. When the water is rocking, it's time to surf like we've mentioned above.

I've been to many CCFAN events and have yet to see anything different. That being said; I believe you'll find just the opposite on the OTHER website.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
You stated the issue very well. I totally agree.

Thanks Pete, however I don't believe that was an original thought, lol

The killer is that at some point, inevitably, the rules people are simply going to use the disruptive "wake" behavior to regulate all water sports even further, that concerns me. Really believe ultimately it could give a black eye to all towed water sports.

-------------

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 10:00pm
To hell with gun control! We need wake control!

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: January-03-2013 at 10:31pm
Let's face it a boat with a huge surf wake makes a wave about up to you a$$. If it was cool to surf wave that small the TX coast would be a world class surfing destination.

I'm sticking with its almost as gay as a tube or it for wake skaters who are scared to jump.

Posted By: DFoster
Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 12:06am
I'm with Keith on this, and my kids have the same rule. Slalom goes first (we haven't learned to foot... yet), then wakeboard, then kneeboard (if the kids want) and then surf when the water is no good.

But if you think surfing is just going straight or sitting down, then that's like someone saying that footing is just going fast. I've watched some people much better than me on a surf board and they can do some amazing tricks.

To me it is just one more watersport to learn and get good at. The next thing for me to add is a boom so that my daughter and I can learn to foot and we can teach the other kids to ski at a young enough age that they never want to tube.

I'm waiting for a Sport 200 with NSS... or I need to McGyver one onto the back of my SV.

-------------
Proud owner of my first Nautique! A http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6140" rel="nofollow - 2004 SV-211 . Always looking for "extra ballst" for wakeboarding or surfing ;-)

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 12:20am
so...cliffs notes for anyone trying to catch up in this thread.

bearfooting and slalom skiing are super styling on the cutting edge of water sports. but wakeboarding and surfing is just a blowjob from a dude away from tubing.

pretty funny hearing a group of boat enthusiasts alienate each other's watersports that they "just don't get". anyone with an ounce of athleticism can learn any one of these "sports". i'm proof of that. mastering them is unbelievably difficult for each of them. acting like some elitest douche because you can bearfoot or slalom ski? give me a break.

Posted By: Waternut
Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 12:42am
Yeah you can drink a beer while you surf just as much as you can drink a beer while slalom skiing. It takes a little extra thought but it's by no means difficult. If you put a cup holder on your vest, I bet you could run the slalom course and take a sip at each ball with your free hand.

This is the problem with ALL sports. No one respects anyone else. "My sport is best and yours is stupid." Fisherman hate skiers, wakeboarders, etc. and vice versa. Snow skiers hate snowboarders and vice versa. In my opinion, everyone needs to get over their idiotic bigotries. If you don't understand the other activity, it's probably because you've either never tried it, are too scared to try it (this included scared of what people think of you), or you aren't creative enough to figure out what to do to make it fun. Slaloming skiing is my preferred sport by a long shot but you know what....I happily welcome wakeboarders and surfers on my boat and participate in all 3 if time and energy permits.

I'll also happily ski on the lake with a bunch of courteous wakeboarders/surfers over even one inconsiderate slalom skier who does power turns and unnecessary turns in the middle of the lake.

Oh one last thing...I can usually teach someone to get up on a slalom ski faster than they can learn to stay in the pocket on a wakesurfer. Just saying...

-------------

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

I'll also happily ski on the lake with a bunch of courteous wakeboarders/surfers over even one inconsiderate slalom skier who does power turns and unnecessary turns in the middle of the lake.

thank you

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I like to surf, but it is dangerous because the surfer is a sitting duck when they fall. It takes awhile to turn around our ballasted boat without swamping.

it takes no longer than doing a normal curtious turn around by not powerturning. how are you leaving a sitting duck while screaming along at surf speeds of 9-11 MPH? try this; rider falls, drop in neutral, let roller pass, turn hard to weighted side, slip in gear. the boat will already be turning on it's own to the weighted side. you can quicken this process by reversing after hitting neutral.   

i wonder how many people in this thread are complaining about heavily weighted boats ruining water but are turning and returning to downed riders while under heavy power.

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 2:02am
You can try gentle persuasion

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 2:23am
Josh - yea, I realize my post was irrelavent. But to explain, have a very small lake & the traffic is thick. We got hit once already by an unattentive boater, so my kids are very nervous about being in the water with other boats zooming past.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 9:22am
Originally posted by jbach jbach wrote:

i wonder how many people in this thread are complaining about heavily weighted boats ruining water but are turning and returning to downed riders while under heavy power.

Pretty rude comment, I have footed, skied, surfed or simply boated with many of the people in this thread and not one of them would I have any issue sending my child out skiing with.

Will give you an example of what is happening on my private 220 acre lake. Last season a neighbor purchased a 220, they primarily wakeboard and run heavily ballasted all the time. Have yet to see anyone do a solid wake to wake let alone an invert behind that boat, so why do you need such a monster wake?? People often raft up on our lake for extended periods of time and those wakes are wreaking havoc and create a dangerous situation when kids are swimming near the boats and they are rocking violently. Of course we pull in our ski ropes as soon as we see them running as they will tear up the entire lake! There is already rumblings of imposing more "skiing rules" as a result. Meanwhile we have been here almost 20 yrs skiing, wakeboarding, footing, foiling, etc. etc. and "not doing power turns" and may be further regulated on our activities as the result of 1 overballasted boat. God forbid if they discover surfing and push an even bigger wake.

I enjoy every pulled water sport, personally think tubing is lame x1000 however has it's place to transition young kids to skiing. Find surfing a close second, have surfed many times and no question it requires the least amount of skill yet creates the most environmental impact of any other water sport. A heavy ballasted big surf boat would be awesome down the road on Lake Michigan however on smaller bodies of water the impact is much more substantial.

-------------

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 10:14am

Pretty rude comment, I have footed, skied, surfed or simply boated with many of the people in this thread and not one of them would I have any issue sending my child out skiing with.

Will give you an example of what is happening on my private 220 acre lake. Last season a neighbor purchased a 220, they primarily wakeboard and run heavily ballasted all the time. Have yet to see anyone do a solid wake to wake let alone an invert behind that boat, so why do you need such a monster wake?? People often raft up on our lake for extended periods of time and those wakes are wreaking havoc and create a dangerous situation when kids are swimming near the boats and they are rocking violently. Of course we pull in our ski ropes as soon as we see them running as they will tear up the entire lake! There is already rumblings of imposing more "skiing rules" as a result. Meanwhile we have been here almost 20 yrs skiing, wakeboarding, footing, foiling, etc. etc. and "not doing power turns" and may be further regulated on our activities as the result of 1 overballasted boat. God forbid if they discover surfing and push an even bigger wake.

I enjoy every pulled water sport, personally think tubing is lame x1000 however has it's place to transition young kids to skiing. Find surfing a close second, have surfed many times and no question it requires the least amount of skill yet creates the most environmental impact of any other water sport. A heavy ballasted big surf boat would be awesome down the road on Lake Michigan however on smaller bodies of water the impact is much more substantial.

+1

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 12:19pm

so...cliffs notes for anyone trying to catch up in this thread.

bearfooting and slalom skiing are super styling on the cutting edge of water sports. but wakeboarding and surfing is just a blowjob from a dude away from tubing.

pretty funny hearing a group of boat enthusiasts alienate each other's watersports that they "just don't get". anyone with an ounce of athleticism can learn any one of these "sports". i'm proof of that. mastering them is unbelievably difficult for each of them. acting like some elitest douche because you can bearfoot or slalom ski? give me a break.

Wow...somebody had their Cheerios peed in. Since you made a point of quoting my "just don't get it" comment, I will assume that was directed at me. There are a lot of things I "just don't get" meaning I don't see the fun of it so I opt not to participate.... Ultimate Fighting Championships, soccer, the Kardashians, and turnips to name a few. On the other hand, there are things I do like: swimming, boating, steak and potato salad, family time, and barefooting and slalom. I bet if you and I sat and talked for a while we could identify things you don't care for vs things you enjoy. I am not sure liking to barefoot and slalom and not seeing the appeal of surfing makes me an elitist douche. I have spent time on the water with many of the guys who posted here, and although I could be wrong, I don't think their first impression of me is that I am an elitist douche. Maybe just a plain douche, or some other kind of douche, but hopefully not an elitist douche. I wasnt criticizing anything. I was just rendering an opinion on personal preferences. I would think/hope that would be a little less offensive than calling me an elitist douche.

-------------

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 12:31pm

...and has even one person talked to this one inconsiderate boater? I don't necessarily recommend giving them a stern talking to because that would just make me mad if someone did that to me. However, if you invite them out on your boat or maybe invite yourself on their boat (yes I understand that may require someone to swallow some hateful pride and go wakeboarding), you may be able to make a difference.

My point is... I taught waterskiing to beginners for 6 years. I typically taught 4 hours a day, everyday during the summer. In those 6 years and a few years to follow, I did powerturns every time someone fell or couldn't get up. The sad fact was, I didn't know any better because no one told me. It wasn't until I started riding with more experienced drivers and skiers/wakeboarders that I began to understand why powerturns were bad, why certain kinds of turns are bad, and how to minimize your wake for others.

-------------

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 12:46pm
Amen to Barefooting, slalom and good steak!

I like where this is headed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag6VBKD6JMA

no wake needed!

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 1:07pm
LOL, of course we have talked to her, she bought the boat from a friend of mine who has spent time on it with her as well. If you read my post no hateful pride was included, we pull boarders quite often, as noted.

On topic, what would you tell surfers to do that would have less impact, other then "buy some ski's"??

-------------

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 1:35pm
Did you say Steak!?

My problem with early morning boarders on my lake is that they seem to take no direction and do not follow lake rules in the counter clockwise Indiana style. Just taking tangent lines in whatever direction they feel like at that moment. As previously stated these people with largly weighted boats aren't even finishing wake to wake jumps. Don't take me as a wake hater, I gladly pull all my wake buddies behind the old 2001 by the newer wake boats and they all look in awe as these guys are doing multiple inverts behind my old rig. We get more funny looks when my brother does that stuff on a kneeboard.

Now that I think about it there is only one guy that is doing any type of invert board tricks on our lake with a purpose built wake boat.

The only time I disobey the lake rules is during times when there is little to nobody on the water besides myself. By our landing there is a cove that blocks wind and stays extremely calm. I will slalom the cove side down and back with just like a slalom course dropping at both ends for the water to calm. Same when we barefoot back there.

-------------

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 2:56pm
Larry,

I just saw an ad that says they have a pill for E.D.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 4:20pm
Larry, what do you have against soccer ... Here we go! The gloves are off now.

-------------
Former:
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

Larry, what do you have against soccer ... Here we go! The gloves are off now.

You're right....here we go. This clearly has the potential to turn into a "you didn't build that" thread, which for some reason is the second longest thread on this site, after the "interesting craigslist" one. (and nobody had better put a post on that thread that isn't interesting or isn't craigslist or there is really going to be trouble)

Anyway Keith, like those other things mentioned, I have nothing against soccer, it just never appealed. One, I was never a ball sport fan as a kid, not baseball, football or basketball. Not sure why, just never was, my dad really wasn't into it so I guess I never was either. In terms of participation, I was pretty much a one sport guy - swimming (and water skiing of course). After living in Houston and outside of Boston, I have become a bit of, but not a fanatical, football and baseball fan. But as far as soccer, never caught my interest. My kids did it for years and I didnt miss a game, and it was fun watching them play, but it certainly didnt turn me into a fan. My daughter switched to swimming in eighth grade and my son bailed out of soccer earlier but stuck with baseball through one year of Babe Ruth before tiring of it( through which I learned more about baseball than I had previously in my life) Perhaps soccer is too much random movement and not enough scoring(although I do kind of like to watch hockey (live, not on TV) and it really isnt much different - but I guess that could be a Bowdoin artifact) So, Keith, given my lack of enthusiasm for soccer, I hope I am not an elitest douche in your eyes.

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Larry,

I just saw an ad that says they have a pill for E.D. (elitest douche-baggery??)

BKH

I hope I don't need to start taking that Brian, but if there are any more votes for my E.D. I might have to consider it.

-------------

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 6:37pm

On topic, what would you tell surfers to do that would have less impact, other then "buy some ski's"??

There are some surfers with boats that aren't weighted heavily enough to surf behind who will drive the boat in a large circle instead of a straight line. What this does is make the wake slightly larger on the surfers side. I'm sure you guys can all imagine what that does to the entire lake. There are worse things than heavily weighted boats...

My lake is maybe 300-400 yards wide at the most and maybe 4-5 miles long so it's certainly not a large lake but obviously bigger than what some guys on this thread have. Anyway, if a wakeboarder or surfer is running along the bank parallel to me on one side and I run on the other, I rarely ever notice rollers from the other guys boat.

-------------

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 6:55pm
Hey Larry aka elitest douche..... I still have your BAREFOOT rope. I haven't forgoten you ...it's just that A.D.D. stuff that ..... "Wow, she's hot!"

Waternut, I'm guessing your on Tobesofkee?

-------------

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 7:00pm
You guys need to worry about stuff you can control, like making sure the douchebag that shows up late remembers the ice for the cooler. The rest is out of your hands....

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Hey Larry aka elitest douche..... I still have your BAREFOOT rope. I haven't forgoten you ...it's just that A.D.D. stuff that ..... "Wow, she's hot!"

Hush up about the rope. I don't want anyone to know. I can wait till White Lake gathering if you hope to make it up for that. ( I won't be making SJRR) If you arent going to make White Lake (assuming it happens, I haven't heard anything)then we can make some other arrangements.

-------------

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 7:37pm
I like to surf, but it's last on my skiing agenda. Everyone is talking about how easy it is. Just standing there in one spot, yeah, but doing ollie airs, 180 ollies, 360's is not that easy. I went with Brian Grubb (pro wakeskater) last summer, I've got to get a board like his, shorter and wider, easier for tricks.

Brian Grubb landing a 360.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 7:39pm
No doubt there are some pretty talented surfers, including those in the new NSS video. I was impressed. But that kind of ability is so far down the road for me, I can't see making the trip.

-------------

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 7:47pm

No doubt there are some pretty talented surfers, including those in the new NSS video. I was impressed. But that kind of ability is so far down the road for me, I can't see making the trip.

Thats where the bikini clad crew comes in....MOTIVATION (and perhaps even better...consolation)
And you get one vote NO from me on an E.D. affliction.

Date Posted: January-04-2013 at 8:14pm
I actually think I'd like surfing. I can't wakeboard like I used to. Neither my knees or my wits are what they used to be. Wakeskating is ok but talk about a learning curve to learn tricks (I can't skateboard worth a damn). My biggest problem with trying to surf is I can't stand filling fat sacks then dealing with a boat full of fat sacks, plus the amount and uneven distribution of weight necessary seems unsafe in a Ski Nautique. I guess I need a new Sport 200, except I love DD. I guess what I really need is a friend with one.

Date Posted: May-17-2013 at 12:15pm

Kind of a fuss yesterday and today over on PN that "Nautique" just announced a new "surf system". I know its the "latest craze" and that many of you are into it, and thats fine, I have nothing against it, I just dont get it. Maybe I'll take it up around the same time I take up go1f, when I am in my 80's or 90's. Just seems boring to me. I see pics and to really step it up a notch, the surfer will hold a can of beer while surfing (snore). I much prefer the exhilaration, power and speed of slalom and footing. Hard to believe the industry is catering to and engineering for surfers. Surfers are going to become the next jet skis. Ballast and short ropes are already banned on our lake, but it is an exceptionally small lake. Maybe not a big deal on bigger lakes

Sorry to beat this dead horse, but I just about laughed out loud when I saw this post on PN about an guy who just discovered surfing and thought it was great and posted this pic.

-------------

Posted By: AirTique98
Date Posted: May-18-2013 at 1:46am

I'm with you Larry, I just don't quite get it either. I'm of the opinion that surfing should be done where there is actually SURF! How riding a board at slow speed draining a can of beer compares with the real deal is beyond me. While jetskis remain an annoyance I have far less tolerance for the destructiveness of "surfing".

-------------
Bill
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5549 - 98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-18-2013 at 2:16am
I grew up on and raced stand ups, worst thing the every happened was adding a seat to a jet ski.   I would have one now if I could pass a stand up off as a family vehicle.   

Surfing isn't worth wasting time to write mdown my thoughts.

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: May-20-2013 at 1:04pm
Let's invent more things to make excuses for fat people to enjoy sports....Maybe you guys are forgetting, everyone is supposed to be a winner these days.

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: May-20-2013 at 2:09pm
When you combine it with tubing you get the complete full body workout.

Date Posted: May-20-2013 at 2:25pm
At least with tubing you can eject boring riders making it somewhat entertaining but surfing--- OMG, he's out of the pocket! OH no!, he's slowly sinking! He may get water in his beer!!! I can't stand the excitment!

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: May-20-2013 at 3:27pm
I really have no issue with guys wanting to surf behind a boat, if that's what blows your skirt up and makes you feel good, great. Personally, I only like surfing in the ocean on a wave created by mother nature. Every wave is different, and it requires stamina, skill, and precision. Plus you can sit out in the water with a bunch of your friends and BS while you're waiting on the next set to roll in.

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Sam B
Date Posted: May-20-2013 at 3:41pm
Keith,

How much ballast and where in your 97 sport for surfing?

-------------
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

%20http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3391&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1973&yrend=1973" rel="nofollow - Sam's 73

Date Posted: May-20-2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Amen to Barefooting, slalom and good steak!

I like where this is headed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag6VBKD6JMA

no wake needed!

Some real skills displayed in this video.

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: DeepCreekNauti
Date Posted: May-20-2013 at 6:09pm
This summer I am planning on teaching the kids how to surf since Deep Creek is a total mess most weekends.

How fast do you go with kids and adults surfing?

Date Posted: May-20-2013 at 8:42pm
9.75 mph

-------------

Ben Franklin

Print Page | Close Window