Print Page | Close Window

The latest and greatest in shoreline destruction!

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28657
Printed Date: September-25-2024 at 12:27pm

Topic: The latest and greatest in shoreline destruction!
Posted By: P71_CrownVic
Subject: The latest and greatest in shoreline destruction!
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 6:17am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtaySYhmAdA" rel="nofollow - Click

Hopefully towns and cities will ban boats like this. Completely outrageous.

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:53am
Matt,
I sure agree and feel it won't be long before laws will be enacted. Besides the shoreline damage, that wake would lift my pier sections! Some of the ballasted board boats are almost doing it now.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: DrStevens
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 10:18am
Gross, I guess I am stuck in the 70,s.

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

Gross, I guess I am stuck in the 70,s.

You and me both brother.

Plenty of tuber complaints here and of course they do disturb the water for skiers; but in the big picture this is really just an annoyance.

Wakeboats, on the other hand, can be an actual menace to boating safety. Not much trouble in the Southwind battleship, but I've run across a few in my much smaller/lower Century and in a narrow patch of water it can be dangerous.....plowing down the lake like they own it with their gigantic wakes, speakers blaring, with little care for safety or etiquette. I think there may be a different mindset between the guy with a $5K classic and the guy who can plunk down $100K. I'm sure there are plenty of courteous wakeboaters here on CCF, but I haven't seen many on the water.    

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:12am
Hey Jeff, I am going to listen to some Leanord Skynrd and hope you post a photo of your Century, maybe you already have?

Posted By: JDD33
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:25am
I don't see what the fuss is all about .... My 26' Pursuit can make the same wake at 2000 rpms and not on plane, I can even change the wake with my trim tabs, if I threw a constant wake like that in my harbor or cove the harbor master would yell at me and my fellow boaters would burn my boat on the mooring! I can only imagine the fuel bill! Thank god the Mustang can't make that much of a wake!!

-------------
Old school goin back to school!

Posted By: Waternut
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:35am
It must be winter...with all the hateful surf and wakeboard posts lately, people are obviously looking for stuff to whine about. If every joe blow in your area is going to have a brand new $130k boat next year, I'm clearly in the wrong location.

-------------

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

It must be winter...with all the hateful surf and wakeboard posts lately, people are obviously looking for stuff to whine about. If every joe blow in your area is going to have a brand new $130k boat next year, I'm clearly in the wrong location.

John,
Do you own lakefront property or are you just a "day" boater?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:45am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

Hey Jeff, I am going to listen to some Leanord Skynrd and hope you post a photo of your Century, maybe you already have?

We had tickets for Skynyrd at Madison Square Garden and then the plane crashed a few weeks before the date. Ted Nugent was the opening act and with no more Skynyrd we bailed out and sold the tickets. Maybe shoulda kept the tickets, who knows some real Skynyrdophile mighta paid big bucks for tickets to the concert that never was..

I've posted Century photos a few times, here ya go. I've since replaced the taller/clear windshield in the photos with the original short/dark-tinted windshield. In the shot from the stern the swirls on the side are just some strange reflection.
IMG]uploads/11529/MKII_5_opt.jpg[/IMG]

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:48am
somehow one of the photos didn't upload:

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: mrinboard
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:49am
Hey old guys! You need to stop bitching about everybody that doesn't barefoot or slalom ski wakeboarders and wake surfers have every right to the lake as the almighty footers and skiers. So either adapt or get out of the way.

And yes Pete I own lake front property

-------------
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"

Posted By: Nautiquehunter
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:57am
You guys must live on lakes that wont allow anything over a 21'boat.
A 25' Cobalt at 15mph will put out a much bigger wake than my 210 can ever hope for?

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by mrinboard mrinboard wrote:

Hey old guys! You need to stop bitching about everybody that doesn't barefoot or slalom ski wakeboarders and wake surfers have every right to the lake as the almighty footers and skiers. So either adapt or get out of the way.

Mike,
You are absolutely correct that everyone has the right to public waters UNTIL they start to tear up the shoreline.

I sure hope your shoreline has some kind of protection.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
You are absolutely correct that everyone has the right to public waters UNTIL they start to tear up the shoreline.

I sure hope your shoreline has some kind of protection.

Pete,
Yes Sir 20ton of river rock does a great job

-------------
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:25pm
Kudos to Nautique for getting people to spend 150k to surf at 11 mph.

Oh and Mike.. you're in Columbia City Indiana? I'm on Chapman Lake.

-------------

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:34pm
Ya Im on Shriner lake I love it here, I have some friends on chapmen. I was told that Nautique wanted to market wake surfing to the over people over 50 because they where the only people that could afford the new Nautiques

-------------
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

A 25' Cobalt at 15mph will put out a much bigger wake than my 210 can ever hope for?

Got me curious so I looked it up. Maximum allowed boat length on Oconee (and all Georgia Power lakes in N. GA) is 30 feet 6 inches. Never seen anything bigger than 25ish though.

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:14pm
Our lake can make waves bigger than any wake board boat, so it's not an issue at all, but like any boat, the driver has to be respectful of others. It all comes down to the driver, whether tubes, jet skis, surfing or even slalom. At the last NE Reunion a surf boat drove right up to our raft and sent a tsunami at us. Fortunately, no one got hurt and no boats were damaged.

Pete, do you have back lot properties in your area?

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:22pm
Nice, We need to get a northern Indiana thing together there is a ton of CC's up there.

-------------

Posted By: scottb7
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:24pm
My issue with the shoreline concern - and yes i own lakefront property - is that amount of erosion is directly dependent on where the water level is. And is highly variable across the years. So I personally feel it is hypocritical for someone even me to say you are messing up more shoreline. And also I don't think it is more moral to not make a wake then make a wake.

How would those that ski and are against wake surfing feel if their lake - where they own property - had an association that banned gas motor boats for just canoe's and paddle boats. Quite obviously it is a matter of degree.

Posted By: jbach
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:31pm
the cabin fever is strong here. any regulations won't come in the way of certain types or lengths or weights of boats. a registration fee or tax will come for ALL boats. it will be called a shoreline rehabilitation project tax or something similar and you will be paying it, just the same as the cabin cruisers and wakeboats. after that, there will be a 100 page dedicated thread bitching about why your slalom and footing boats should have pay for it.

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:01pm

John,
Do you own lakefront property or are you just a "day" boater?

Yes I do own lakefront property and I'm in between the only two ramps open to the public on this lake so I get the majority of boat traffic passing by my house. Most people I hear complaining about shoreline damage here have added some kind of beach for themselves and they're upset because they have to keep adding sand. The main "damage" I see on my shoreline is excess sand and dirt that gets washed in and makes the shoreline shallower so when we have a drought, it's harder for me to get my boat off the lift.

To my knowledge there are no boat restrictions on this lake right now. There are multiple people who bring/own cigarette boats on this lake. They are loud and obnoxious but as far as I'm concerned, they are welcome too and the dual V8's can sound nice sometimes. At least I don't have to pay their fuel bill.

-------------

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:03pm
I don't have a definitive answer, And I have run fat sacks in my boat in the past, but we did not last year for a few reasons and had just as much fun. I see a line of responsibility with anything that produces a wake, and another increased line with wake enhancement. I can be annoyed with the wake of a 25 foot boat, but it is what it is and as long as it is not doing 12 mph in a no wake zone, it can not operate any other way. When someone chooses to purposely increase their wake they are choosing to be more of an annoyance. Surfing is cool but does it really belong on a lake with no surf or a shoreline that has the natural ability to deal with it?

Does Nautique put out any rules of etiquette stickers next to the wake enhancement controls? How long till shore owners bring lawsuits against Nautique et al. for shore erosion due to intentionally enhanced wakes? Like the PWC market, we as users need to find ways to get along or face the restrictions that will come if we can't. A few idiots will ruin it for all of us.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:05pm
Wow, insert guns for Nautique and I could move that to another thread.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, do you have back lot properties in your area?

Bruce,
No on back lot properties hence no common access to the lake shore.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:16pm

Most people I hear complaining about shoreline damage here have added some kind of beach for themselves and they're upset because they have to keep adding sand.

This practice is illegal in the state of Wisconsin. This is one of the DNR's regulations I happen to like. You actually need a permit to rock your shoreline and they even regulate the size of the rock at the water line and behind it for 2 feet. No ugly looking seawalls are permitted ether.

Pete,

Mike,
Ether you have very little lakefront footage, have miscalculated the tons or they whet with just a small layer of rock. 20 tons is less than 10 cu. yds. How big is the river rock?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by scottb7 scottb7 wrote:

My issue with the shoreline concern - and yes i own lakefront property - is that amount of erosion is directly dependent on where the water level is. And is highly variable across the years. So I personally feel it is hypocritical for someone even me to say you are messing up more shoreline. And also I don't think it is more moral to not make a wake then make a wake.

How would those that ski and are against wake surfing feel if their lake - where they own property - had an association that banned gas motor boats for just canoe's and paddle boats. Quite obviously it is a matter of degree.

Scott,
If a truck or car drove over your lawn in front of your house tearing it up, wouldn't you be upset? Wouldn't you file a damage report to the local police? I feel the same way about my shoreline. Luckily, I do have it rocked but, the wakes have gotten to the point where they go over the rock!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:52pm
The way we solve the problem here on the Fox is to put in a seawall,that way everyone can enjoy the wake long after the boat is gone
I can just see how this is going to go-- I was out surfing and all these jetski jerks were bothering me. Something has to be done about them

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 3:22pm

Most people I hear complaining about shoreline damage here have added some kind of beach for themselves and they're upset because they have to keep adding sand.

This practice is illegal in the state of Wisconsin. This is one of the DNR's regulations I happen to like. You actually need a permit to rock your shoreline and they even regulate the size of the rock at the water line and behind it for 2 feet. No ugly looking seawalls are permitted ether.

Pete,

Mike,
Ether you have very little lakefront footage, have miscalculated the tons or they whet with just a small layer of rock. 20 tons is less than 10 cu. yds. How big is the river rock?

Pete,
The stone quarry sells different size of river rock my rock is 6" to 8" and 20ton did my shore line perfect (80')

P.S. My name is Mark

-------------
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 3:42pm
If car or trucks drove over my yard would it bother me? If I knew that from year to year depending on mother nature the curb was going to move around then I would quit worrying about those 3 feet of yard. Just like I realized I could not worry about those 3 feet of shore line.

I understand that a wake is more destructive than no wake. But it is a matter of degree. You disagree? A wakeboard wake is worse than a ski wake, and a ski wake is worse then a pontoon wake, and a pontoon wake is worse than a paddleboat/canoe lake. And if people managed their shoreline to the canoe wakes, then they can be upset with skier's. And if people built their shoreline for ski wakes then they can be upset with wakeboarders and surf wakes. It is a matter of degree.

I had beautiful sod put in when we built this house put within 2 feet of the water. Then it rained and the lake rose, and it wrecked about a foot of sod. Oh my money lost. Then boats went by and I lost another foot or two. And I realized I had a lot to learn. Then the water went down the next year and weeds grew were my sod and shoreline were, and big boats went by when lake was high and another foot. And then lake went down and big boats went by and did nothing....You getting the point.

Maybe you need to extend your rocks up 3 feet and down 3 feet. Just pay more money to have larger seawall. Silly right, where would it end? Why should you pay more for larger seawall? But how do you know that the breadth of your seawall is right? Maybe you are trying to manage it too narrowly.

But why is it fair for land owners to complain about erosion. Maybe regulation should be for landowners to have a certain minimum length seawall. Or not to put anything within x feet of ordinary high water line. Could also argue this is silly. But at least it would be based on ordinary high water line. Which could be updated on a moving average every x amount of years.

Posted By: OldSchoolBlue84
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 3:55pm
Good idea Phatsat67, I am in! Live in Valparaiso and docking the boat at Culver Marina, Lake Maxinkuckee.

-------------
Kostas
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6700&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1984 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 4:15pm

P.S. My name is Mark

Mark,
Sorry!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 4:28pm
First thing I ever learned from my dad about powerboating was "You are responsible for your wake, any damage your wake causes you can be held liable for so be ready to pay for whatever your wake damages or just be damn sure it does not do any damage".

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 4:31pm

If car or trucks drove over my yard would it bother me? If I knew that from year to year depending on mother nature the curb was going to move around then I would quit worrying about those 3 feet of yard.

Scott,
I should have been more specific regarding the lawn damage. I wasn't referring to just some light damage 3' from the curb.

Maybe you need to extend your rocks up 3 feet and down 3 feet. Just pay more money to have larger seawall. Silly right, where would it end? Why should you pay more for larger seawall? But how do you know that the breadth of your seawall is right? Maybe you are trying to manage it too narrowly.

But why is it fair for land owners to complain about erosion. Maybe regulation should be for landowners to have a certain minimum length seawall. Or not to put anything within x feet of ordinary high water line. Could also argue this is silly. But at least it would be based on ordinary high water line. Which could be updated on a moving average every x amount of years.

This is one of the DNR's regulations I happen to like. You actually need a permit to rock your shoreline and they even regulate the size of the rock at the water line and behind it for 2 feet. No ugly looking seawalls are permitted ether.

I guess Minnesota has some pretty lax rules for their shorelines?

BTW, I do need to worry about my shoreline since from the pier, it's an abrupt steep hill requiring a flight of stairs with 16 rises.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 4:55pm
Jeff, thanks for the Century photos, nice.   Zach, I like your Northern Indiana event idea, it was discussed last year but no one did anything.

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 5:05pm
Well I don't know about everyone else with lakefront but TECHNICALLY none of us own anything below the flood line. You must get approval to build docks, seawalls, dredge, add trees, removed trees, etc. below the flood line. I know many other lakes are like this as well and some are even more strict than mine. So in reality, complaining about erosion is more like putting cobble stone on the road to your house and complaining because a large truck drove down the road and broke some of the stones...

-------------

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 5:19pm
John don't forget not all of us live on a lake. My property stakes are in the water. There are weight restrictions for roads,if a large truck does do damage no matter what the road is made of they are responsible if they are over the limit. Are you proposing that there should be wake guidelines determined by a governing body?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 6:24pm
Wow... if you would have told me 20 years ago people would be spending 3x as much for a ski boat that produces monster wake than one designed to put out min wake I would have called you crazy.

I hope on some nice ski lake in Florida, some Correct Craft Executives dock gets destroyed by someone in one of these.

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 6:28pm

Well I don't know about everyone else with lakefront but TECHNICALLY none of us own anything below the flood line. You must get approval to build docks, seawalls, dredge, add trees, removed trees, etc. below the flood line. I know many other lakes are like this as well and some are even more strict than mine. So in reality, complaining about erosion is more like putting cobble stone on the road to your house and complaining because a large truck drove down the road and broke some of the stones...

John,
The erosion I and I feel most here are talking about is above the OHWM.

BTW, as mentioned, the Wisconsin DNR only allows you to rock a shoreline (with the permit as mentioned). Even if a tree falls into the water you can't remove it. The only way would be if the tree impedes navigation and then you need a permit as well. A classic case of abuse of the law on our chain was when a resort owner removed stumps in the lake so he could install more docks. He was fined $58,000 and ordered to restore it back to original. He took it all the way to the Wisconsin supreme court and he lost.

"Flood line"?? Your lakefront property is in a flood plain??

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

I hope on some nice ski lake in Florida, some Correct Craft Executives dock gets destroyed by someone in one of these.

Uhm, well, the water sport of choice for the current Correct Craft CEO is wakesurfing.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 7:45pm

"Flood line"?? Your lakefront property is in a flood plain??

Not really...the lake is man made and fed by a creek. If there is a lot of rain for a long period of time (days/weeks), the river can pump more water into the lake than the dam can pump out. The flood line is basically the point at which the water spills over the dam. Apparently it's happened a couple times in the past but it's extremely rare and the water has to come up 6-8 feet or something crazy like that.

Wow that's crazy you guys can't even removed stumps or fallen trees! We're at least allowed to take out dead trees or trees that pose a danger.

-------------

Posted By: jo-e90
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 8:30pm
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvGeyYrtm4C3xelEtSbDuuPKXo4bp0KU-EeyO0VfPLhAtigWz3sdeo83Qf" rel="nofollow - It happens

Any more wakesurfers and my Great http://preservationmaryland.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/tombstones-on-shore2.jpg" rel="nofollow - Uncle Bernie will be out in the water with us.

-------------
1997 Sport Nautique

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 8:47pm

Hey old guys! You need to stop bitching about everybody ...

I don't always complain about big wake boats, sometimes I sit on my porch and yell and kids to get off my lawn.

Clearly no big wake boats out today. I was tempted to pull out the Tique if only to go for a short cruise. Doubt I would have found anyone willing to jump in.   

-------------

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Hey old guys! You need to stop bitching about everybody ...

I don't always complain about big wake boats, sometimes I sit on my porch and yell and kids to get off my lawn.

Clearly no big wake boats out today. I was tempted to pull out the Tique if only to go for a short cruise. Doubt I would have found anyone willing to jump in.   

Well put Larry big wake boats not just wakeboarders and wakesurfers, and to everyone else bitching about shore erosion that is your responsibility as property owners to maintain your shore, I seen one person said he had to bring in sand. Try using pea gravel wont wash away no matter how many big wake boats you have on your lake

And BTW people wanting to see the big wigs of Nautique have problems with there piers being washed away I thought this web sight was to celebrate all things Correct Craft not wish bad on the people that make them for us

-------------
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:16pm
Sorry "website""

-------------
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"

Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:24pm

Well put Larry big wake boats not just wakeboarders and wakesurfers, and to everyone else bitching about shore erosion that is your responsibility as property owners to maintain your shore,

I am on both sides of this, and this is a philosophical question but Is there a difference between maintaining from natural processes and restoring due to an intentional increase in its breakdown?

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 1:00am
Does big wake accelerate erosion? Sure. Does regular wake accelerate erosion? Sure does... Who's to say that your boats wake is less harmful? Yeah maybe your wake doesn't go over or hurt someone's seawall or erosion protection but let's not forget that those seawalls were originally put up because of boats just like YOURS. The next guy who builds a seawall will build his for the big wake. Hate it that times have changed for you but it's a fact of life. I would love to see more "my stuff is starting to get damaged, I'm going to fix it before it gets destroyed" instead of "those people are damaging my stuff, we should get them banned".

I remember my parents almost bought a house on a small lake when I was kid. It wasn't a boating lake at all but I was very sad when they didn't buy it. Found out a couple years later that the community owners decided to just drain the lake completely because people were complaining about various different things. A guy I ski with used to own a house on another small lake. He built a slalom course and all. Problems started rising on the lake and he bailed out. A few years later, the lake issued a 15hp limit on all boats. Sometimes the easiest solution is to get rid of the source of the problem.

-------------

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 2:09am

I would love to see more "my stuff is starting to get damaged, I'm going to fix it before it gets destroyed" instead of "those people are damaging my stuff, we should get them banned".

I truly do not understand todays thinking of F*ck everyone else I'm doing what makes me feel good at whatever particular moment. I guess it sums up todays problems.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 3:18am

I'm 27.

I also don't really ski at all. Just a few laps of the lake a year. So you're wrong on both jabs.

I could care less what people want to do, but when it starts to destroy, or speed up the destruction of an area that is so beautiful that I can't describe it with words, and closer to my heart than anything else on this planet then I have a problem...a big ***************g problem.

-------------

Posted By: forvicjr
Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 3:53am
Well here goes. I'm fairly new here and to tell the truth, if I were here to judge this site I would warn all who enter not to mention tubing, fram filters, power turning, wake boarding, wake boarding boats, wake boarding behind you classic correct craft, anything not fuching original, asking a question without using this sites unusable search bar, beaching your boat, boarding with shoes, sitting on the damn engine cover while underway, standing while driving your boat, sitting on seat back while driving, cypress gardens, possible rarity of your boat, varnishing your swim platform's. With all due respect for the creator of this forum, It ought to be renamed Correct Craft snobs forum. Jeesh.......

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 3:58am
The whole thing is, people you bought lake front property, its going to erode with or without the help of man. Get over it and prevent as much as you can. Lifes to short to be raising cain about such shallow problems.

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 4:12am
Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

The whole thing is, people you bought lake front property, its going to erode with or without the help of man. Get over it and prevent as much as you can. Lifes to short to be raising cain about such shallow problems.

It's kinda hard to prevent it when the evil DNR does not allow you to much of anything.

-------------

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 4:34am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

It's kinda hard to prevent it when the evil DNR does not allow you to much of anything.

I understand the erosion and ultimate loss of footage from lake property, BUT you know shoreline erodes and you prob also knew the dnr problem when property was purchased. All this should be a known problem for anyone that has or will be purchasing lake property. So, why buy it and then cry about something that any person with common since knows will happen? Then bring it here of all things?

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 4:48am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Got me curious so I looked it up. Maximum allowed boat length on Oconee (and all Georgia Power lakes in N. GA) is 30 feet 6 inches. Never seen anything bigger than 25ish though.

I know of two 36 footers on Hartwell with well over 1600hp. There both twin engine blown big blocks with north of 600 cubic inches. You can hear them late at night plain as the tv in your living room.

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:41am

BUT you know shoreline erodes and you prob also knew the dnr problem when property was purchased. All this should be a known problem for anyone that has or will be purchasing lake property.

My grandparents bought the property in the mid-80s. The evil DNR didn't have near the insane agenda they have today. Because of boats like that and the evil DNR, we will not be able to replace/repair our boat ramp that's having erosion issues due to wave action. Boats on our chain did not make massive waves, even as recent as my memory up there. There was ONE large Sea Ray on the chain. Now there is a wakeboard boat as often as there is a pine tree. Yes there was erosion, but it has been and will continue to be accelerated because of boats like this.

Quote Then bring it here of all things?

Yeah, imagine that, talking about a Correct Craft on a Correct Craft site.

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 10:46am
This is funny!

Where our water line is now, I say let it erode.   

As for that Nautique wake...they say you've done something if you pull a 3/8" bolt out of a block; same goes for swamping a BFN.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:05pm

The view from shore is always different from the view on the water. I don't think it reasonable to believe that someone buying lake shore 15 years ago and investing in adequate shore protection would anticipate that boat users and manufacturers would be making waves big enough to surf. For a lake shore owner this is creating a financial and usability problem. You have families that enjoyed walking onto a sandy beach from soft grass for the last 50 years who suddenly have to traverse a 3 foot barrier of rocks that they had to deal with the DNR to get and then pay for. They did not change, the boat industry did. Look at the PWC industry. Cool little boat's that can operate in very shallow water but they were noisy and dangerous as heck when operated at the extremes they were capable of. Many riders said It is change, get over it, they are here to stay. The DNR in my state said too that they can stay....stay 150 feet from shore or any other boat, stay off the water before 9am and after an hour before sunset, and they cannot stay in designated wild life areas, ....... many lake associations said they can not stay at all. If we make this the lake shore owners problem they will come up with solutions, and it will not likely be river rock. I said earlier, a few idiots will ruin it for all of us. My boat will is close enough to the surf boats to be grouped in any new regulations/bans. Thanks. The shore owners are preventing as much as they can, can you say the same for surf boat operators? Now if Nautique cann design a hull that builds a huge wave directly behind the boat but cancels itself out about 60 feet back to a nice ski wake size. Then no problem.   

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:13pm
Great posts forvicjr. There are a lot of good guys on here but I've started seeing a lot snobbish behavior as well.

Yes wakeboarding boats have been banned from various lakes around the country for issues you guys are talking about. Keep in mind that wakeboarding and wakesurfing is massively more popular than skiing and footing. You can pretty guarantee that if the majority of water sports get banned, you're next. They outnumber you and I can assure you that they can push harder and longer to get your butts banned too.

On the plus side, if your lakes ban all boats except unpowered sailboats and canoes, there will be a lot of nice, cheap ski boats that go up for sale for those of us who were willing to adapt.

-------------

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:30pm
Lakes lakes blah blah blah lakes you guy's know there are other bodies of water out there right? These new boats will be used only on lakes then?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:43pm

BUT you know shoreline erodes and you prob also knew the dnr problem when property was purchased. All this should be a known problem for anyone that has or will be purchasing lake property.

My grandparents bought the property in the mid-80s. The evil DNR didn't have near the insane agenda they have today. Because of boats like that and the evil DNR, we will not be able to replace/repair our boat ramp that's having erosion issues due to wave action. Boats on our chain did not make massive waves, even as recent as my memory up there. There was ONE large Sea Ray on the chain. Now there is a wakeboard boat as often as there is a pine tree. Yes there was erosion, but it has been and will continue to be accelerated because of boats like this.

Quote Then bring it here of all things?

Yeah, imagine that, talking about a Correct Craft on a Correct Craft site.

Your not talking correct craft, your talking lake banks. Nice try.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:56pm

Well here goes. I'm fairly new here and to tell the truth, if I were here to judge this site I would warn all who enter not to mention tubing, fram filters, power turning, wake boarding, wake boarding boats, wake boarding behind you classic correct craft, anything not fuching original, asking a question without using this sites unusable search bar, beaching your boat, boarding with shoes, sitting on the damn engine cover while underway, standing while driving your boat, sitting on seat back while driving, cypress gardens, possible rarity of your boat, varnishing your swim platform's. With all due respect for the creator of this forum, It ought to be renamed Correct Craft snobs forum. Jeesh.......

Being a member of this site for a long time and boating for long lengths of time with a vast majority of the regular posters here I think that your statement is pretty harsh and maybe you shouldn't be so negative of the topics you mentioned..

Tubing - You own a ski boat for crying out load so use it for what it's made for. Most members here PROMOTE sking, footing,etc. You wanna talk up tubing then go to the bayliner forums. That's about all they are good for anyway. We aren't totally against tubing just the swerving recklessly to dump your rider that is asociated with it. You wanna tube, go for it but go out where the water is too rough, an unskiable. Perfect conditions for tubing seeing as how you wanna dump the rider anyway... Small kids in the tube, fine just drive straight. Swerving is not necessary.

Fram Filters - They're junk.... end of story!

Power Turning - Sends huge rogue waves down the lake messing up good water for those who ski or WAKEBOARD. No sense in it. If you're skiing then you half to wait for the water to smooth out from your power turn to start your run. It's called courteousy to other boaters. Only need to do it is if some reckless driver is watching their tuber and not your downed skier.

Wakeboarding - Love it as half the guys on this site do. I've boarded with many here, and many have pulled me on my 88 or behind their earlier CC. Main complaint about boarders is that it's all about them and some could care less about others I really don't care to listen to your Gansta Rap blaring as you head down the lake and probably most of the home owners don't either.. If your riders are learning why are you weighing the boat down. You are only making it harder for them to learn.

Wakeboarding boats - many here have them and are safe courteous drivers. I'll go out with them anytime, anyday. Many of these WAKEBOARD boat owners are dang good slalom skiers and barefooters. Some even OWN a old Correct Craft. I think your misinformed on this my friend.

Wakeboarding behind a classic CC-- Hmmmm Haven't met a guy here yet that wouldn't pull me on a wakeboard behind their boat. If there was a means to go behind boat drs Dart I'd do it and he'd pull me. MANY of my friends here DO! You're wrong again on this one.

Original - Would you bling up a 65 Ford Mustang, a 58 Corvette, how about a Model T? Most of the members here PROMOTE restoring a 25+ year old boat back to original. It turns heads, they're fun to drive, and is a walk thru the time machine. That's what most of us ARE! You wanna bling it up, paint it some funky color, go for it. Then when you get tired of it, or outgrow it, good luck finding a buyer for it and don't complain here that you can't sell your piece of "artwork".

Using the search feature - Since you are "new" here then most questions have been asked before and the new guy gets upset that no one answers their question or if they do why not in great detail. SImple answer - We get tired of going over the same questions over and over. Use the search function. don't like it then offer your services to Keith as a computer guru and help improve a site that's free for you to use.

Beaching the Boat - You wanna grind off Gelcoat off the bottom of your boat then go for it my friend but after you do then don't come here looking for tips on how to re-Gel the bottom of your boat cause you didn't listen to our advice. All we have suggested is don't do it and you have a problem with that?

boarding with shoes - I got news for you pal. You ain't getting on my boat with shoes that might have mud, dogcrap, gum or whatever. You don't like my rules find another ride or find someelse who doesn't mind. Guess I can just tromp though your house with muddy shoes on and you won't care. Hmmmmmm Thoughtfulness of other peoples stuff What a concept.

Siting on the engine cover - My kids do it all the time. I have no issue with it and I've sat on many engine covers of other members boats. Not sure where that is coming from.

Standing while driving, or sitting on the back of the drivers seat. - C'MON MAN are you really gonna ask that question w/o thinking about it?   SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY! One hand on the throttle and one on the wheel. If your standing how can you SAFELY do this? Your gonna sit on the back of the seat? Thats good practice. Rogue wave, log and your chances of being ejected out are increased. Do you have a dead man lanyard on your boat and do you honestly wear it when driving? You should be a better captain then that and if that's how you pilot your vessel, you ain't pulling me or any of my family.

cypress gardens - Funny! Once you've been around us and this site you will find that just about every boat on here has been used at Cypress Gardens. Thats why you are going to get questioned about it unless you can PROVE it!

Rarity of boat- again not sure where this is coming from. Unless you have proof from CC then we will question it. So if I sign Abraham Lincolns signature on a old piece of parchment paper you are just going to believe it's the real thing. The true boat Guru's here know their stuff and are usually right most of the time and if they aren't they will be the first to tell you they were wrong. You'll learn that if you're around these guys long enough.

Varnishing your platform - Okay.. platform is TEAK 99% of the time and you DON'T varnish it! It's an oily wood anyway and most varnish's won't adhere. It's a swim platform and why would varnish it. When I stand on the back of a platform I dont wanna be slipping off it. Have you read your Correct Craft owners manual..they tell you NOT to varnish it. But what do they know. they've been building boats since 1925.

With all due respect for the creator of this forum, It ought to be renamed Correct Craft snobs forum. Jeesh.......

This one just sums it up and is the reason for this long rant. If you don't like it here, the advice we give then please feel free to leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out! Grow a thicker skin if you do want to continue being a member here and bring something positive to this website.

I have been hanging around these guys for many, many years and even though we may disagree on allot of things, we are still friends. My door, and my boat are always open to them and vice versa. I suggest maybe you do the same and attend a gathering this year, meet the very guys you're complaining about then you will understand WHY!

I'm not afraid of tossing the keys to anyone of the guys whom I've skied with, drank with, broke bread with, and conversed with. I have yet to meet ANYONE from this forum who isn't a respectful courteous boater and I've learned a thing or two about being a better driver/captain/skier because of it. Try it, don't dog it!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

The view from shore is always different from the view on the water. I don't think it reasonable to believe that someone buying lake shore 15 years ago and investing in adequate shore protection would anticipate that boat users and manufacturers would be making waves big enough to surf. For a lake shore owner this is creating a financial and usability problem. You have families that enjoyed walking onto a sandy beach from soft grass for the last 50 years who suddenly have to traverse a 3 foot barrier of rocks that they had to deal with the DNR to get and then pay for. They did not change, the boat industry did. Look at the PWC industry. Cool little boat's that can operate in very shallow water but they were noisy and dangerous as heck when operated at the extremes they were capable of. Many riders said It is change, get over it, they are here to stay. The DNR in my state said too that they can stay....stay 150 feet from shore or any other boat, stay off the water before 9am and after an hour before sunset, and they cannot stay in designated wild life areas, ....... many lake associations said they can not stay at all. If we make this the lake shore owners problem they will come up with solutions, and it will not likely be river rock. I said earlier, a few idiots will ruin it for all of us. My boat will is close enough to the surf boats to be grouped in any new regulations/bans. Thanks. The shore owners are preventing as much as they can, can you say the same for surf boat operators? Now if Nautique cann design a hull that builds a huge wave directly behind the boat but cancels itself out about 60 feet back to a nice ski wake size. Then no problem.   

I own 180' of shoreline just to make you aware. I have also in the past seven years of being here have lost over fifteen feet of it. I was aware of dnr and its laws and like any government the tendancy for them to change things. Got to look on the bright side, the older you get the shorter the walk to the bank......

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 1:11pm
Tim,
Thanks for your excellent response to Vic. Once again, you have a great way with works and a very logical approach. I agree with everything you said.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 1:27pm
Morfoot, all that I listed has and will continue to be subject of ridicule to members not in the know. Every time these come up the sarcasm comes out, simple. And to keep this short the members that are veterans here and are general forum goers should lighten up and be easier on the subjects. One of my first posts was ridiculed by the "search" subject. I went and searched again with no luck and then got pretty much accused of not doing so. This is just one example from me, not counting the bashing I've seen others endure. So yeah, my post cuts to the bone for those that's guilty. And the bashing of boarders tubers and those with monster wake does seem awfull snobish.

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 1:33pm
Reminder I own lake property...Buying lake property does not get you a perpetual right for: "families that enjoyed walking onto a sandy beach from soft grass for the last 50 years who suddenly have to traverse a 3 foot barrier of rocks". Come on you know that...

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 1:40pm
These boats, lakes and shoreline isnt going with us when we go, enjoy the good of what you have while you have it. Being rude and negativly opinionated on these subjects takes the joy from all of us. This is the best I can sum it up.

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 1:49pm

These boats, lakes and shoreline isnt going with us when we go, enjoy the good of what you have while you have it. Being rude and negativly opinionated on these subjects takes the joy from all of us. This is the best I can sum it up.

Great idea,I'd like to ride my offroad enduro bike in Yellowstone,it is after all the modern equivalent of a horse. Screw all the generations after me

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 2:03pm
There ya go Gary, yet another _________ assumption. I never said heck with the future generations. Ill stop trying to explain common since here. I would have better results screaming at wake board boats a half a mile off shore to stop eroding my shoreline.

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 2:06pm
Your right you did not but you are screeming ME,ME

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 2:26pm
Ok Guys so I walked down to our local DNR officers house and had a nice long talk with him about this subject and he said that this is a very big topic with the DNR office, and if it keeps up we will not like the outcome (no wake lakes). I he told me it wasn't a specific boat type doing this the big problem is people calling the DNR non stop about shoreline erosion. In Indiana you don't own to the water even if your property pin is in the water, we have a 5' setback from the water.So maybe we should have a thread to fix this problem not point fingers

-------------
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 2:27pm
I guess I see things differently than most, Im not going to bitch and wine about petty things when I could be burning that energy enjoying myself. I value my time and burning it on other people's lack of respect or ignorance on the water or anywhere for that matter is useless. Times change,shorelines erode, respect from the younger generations is lacking and there is no stopping it. My son has more respect for other people than most twenty year olds and he's 11. Thats my contribution to the younger generations. Theres not much more anyone can do. So thats why I'm saying enjoy the good and ignore the negative as much as possible.

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 3:23pm

he said that this is a very big topic with the DNR office, and if it keeps up we will not like the outcome

Unfortunately, true.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 4:00pm
For the record I currently have 0 ft of lake shore . I have owned in the past and hope to again some day. I make my statements from a boat users standpoint who believes in personal responsibility. As Joe likes to say, your right to extend your fist stops at my nose. I love and like to advocate for all water sports, but it is getting harder to defend some activities that are greatly impacting others. I am just questioning how much wake is enough, and to much to preserve the liberties we currently have.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 4:30pm
The issue is just a matter of respect for others. Some have it, some don't. I have no aversion to wakeboarding and wakesurfing and those who do it, but there is a proper place for it. Since some boaters don't respect nature and the property of lakeowners, the northern Wisconsin county that I seasonally live in, and our lake association has been discussing a total ban on power boats with ballast systems of any kind on lakes less than 10,000 acres. Lake Superior is only 30 miles up the road and there is a beautiful park with a great landing ramp and miles of beach there built by CCC workers for the WPA for the enjoyment of all, and you can bring any boat you want. Wake is never an issue there.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 5:06pm
Gary, our lake shore is not Yellowstone. The analogy is poor. Unfortunately banning free use of lakes - whether we like the use or not -is an immoral use of power. We simply don't own our lakeshore.

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 5:09pm
I've got one for rivers too

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 5:14pm
snob on ccf = ski nautique open bow

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 5:33pm
There are some very wise people on this site, if they say don't use fram filters and don't make obnoxious wake you should listen!

I'm only having fun here as I was when I hoped the creators of these boats had to deal with the consequences. The truth is it is winter and there are a lot of ski boats sitting in garages!

My feelings on these boats is straight forward, if you have taken boarding to the next level and need a bit more wake to pull of f some crazy air then by all means "wake up". But in all of my time on lakes and rivers only 5% of the boards I've seen in person qualify... and most of them use older boats with extended pylons. Most of the guys with these monster wake boats on Deep Creek Lake tow kids/people that can't even can't even make it wake to wake if they even jump at all. I don't get it and don't want to hear there music.

While I ski and barefoot first... I am not apposed to boarding tubing surfing when the water conditions aren't right and people are being courteous; I've tried it all.

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 5:33pm

Gary, our lake shore is not Yellowstone. The analogy is poor.

I thought Gary's analogy was great!! However, I would have gone one step further and run an ATV. They have 4 wheels and will tear up the landscape faster!

Speaking of ATV's, so far the county I'm in in Wisconsin hasn't allowed any public trails!! So, here's another subject of debate!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 5:34pm
There are some very wise people on this site, if they say don't use fram filters and don't make obnoxious wake you should listen!

I'm only having fun here as I was when I hoped the creators of these boats had to deal with the consequences. The truth is it is winter and there are a lot of ski boats sitting in garages!

My feelings on these boats is straight forward, if you have taken boarding to the next level and need a bit more wake to pull of f some crazy air then by all means "wake up". But in all of my time on lakes and rivers only 5% of the boards I've seen in person qualify... and most of them use older boats with extended pylons. Most of the guys with these monster wake boats on Deep Creek Lake tow kids/people that can't even can't even make it wake to wake if they even jump at all. I don't get it and don't want to hear there music.

While I ski and barefoot first... I am not apposed to boarding tubing surfing when the water conditions aren't right and people are being courteous; I've tried it all.

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 5:47pm

Gary, our lake shore is not Yellowstone. The analogy is poor.

I thought Gary's analogy was great!! However, I would have gone one step further and run an ATV. They have 4 wheels and will tear up the landscape faster!

Speaking of ATV's, so far the county I'm in in Wisconsin hasn't allowed any public trails!! So, here's another subject of debate!!

there is a reason they cant allow them(4 wheelers) . its because of irresponsible owners . even if they are in the 10% the damage they create makes it look like 80% . could that be rue with some ignorant wake board owners too?

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 6:58pm
Of course it is the minority that causes the problems. One of my waterfront neighbors has some bloat bote that says "Wakesetter" on the side and has speakers as big as Chris Christie's butt. I seldom hear the kids play objectionable volume music and they wake surf far from shore and away from others. Our little chain is only 4500 acres and when used improperly, these boats really tear up the shoreline and wildlife. In responsible hands the damage is far less pronounced. If you oppose legislation to prohibit wakesurfing and ballasted boats, use them, and encourage others to use them responsibly.

-------------

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:16pm

Gary, our lake shore is not Yellowstone. The analogy is poor. Unfortunately banning free use of lakes - whether we like the use or not -is an immoral use of power. We simply don't own our lakeshore.

It is true that the first five feet are public but when it erodes away the public still gets the next first five feet so it is the lot owner that looses the sg footage.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:49pm
What happens when you try to remodel a structure built to code 75 feet from high water but it is now only 60?

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-06-2013 at 11:44pm

Great posts forvicjr. There are a lot of good guys on here but I've started seeing a lot snobbish behavior as well.

Yes wakeboarding boats have been banned from various lakes around the country for issues you guys are talking about. Keep in mind that wakeboarding and wakesurfing is massively more popular than skiing and footing. You can pretty guarantee that if the majority of water sports get banned, you're next. They outnumber you and I can assure you that they can push harder and longer to get your butts banned too.

On the plus side, if your lakes ban all boats except unpowered sailboats and canoes, there will be a lot of nice, cheap ski boats that go up for sale for those of us who were willing to adapt.

Way to completely miss the point. Bravo.

This has NOTHING TO DO with "footers or skiers". I don't "foot" and rarely "ski" (full disclosure, I ski maybe 2 times a year).

That being said, your ignorant statement about skiers and footers getting banned is laughable.

Skiing and footing are not destructive sports. FISHING boats make bigger waves than a ski boat pulling a skier. Plus, skiers smoke less pot. Haha.

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Tubing - You own a ski boat for crying out load so use it for what it's made for. Most members here PROMOTE sking, footing,etc. You wanna talk up tubing then go to the bayliner forums. That's about all they are good for anyway. We aren't totally against tubing just the swerving recklessly to dump your rider that is associated with it. You wanna tube, go for it but go out where the water is too rough, an unskiable. Perfect conditions for tubing seeing as how you wanna dump the rider anyway... Small kids in the tube, fine just drive straight. Swerving is not necessary.

In all fairness, my Nautique does a MUCH better job pulling tubers than my grandma's Bayliner. Much easier to do everything from flinging on either side of the boat to hot waves to getting up and going. Plus, everything is better when you have the rumble of that 351w through proper dual exhaust.

Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

and our lake association has been discussing a total ban on power boats with ballast systems of any kind on lakes less than 10,000 acres.

Wait, what?

Our entire chain is only 4500 acres. We don't have a 10K acre lake. Did you meant 1,000 acres? If so, that really sucks as we only have ONE 1K+ lake...MINE!

But that's interesting. Last summer I saw this complete moron with a 25'-28', dual outdrive yacht on the chain. It was a river boat. He had MN tags on it, he boats on the St. Croix without a doubt. He should have been banned from launching such a monstrosity on our chain.

Does the MW Lakes association have a weight limit in effect like the Minocqua chain?

-------------

Posted By: Hussler
Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 12:03am
This reminds me of the court case on our lake in the 90's when kids on the lake started getting into skiing/tubing. One half of the community against the other. It used to be a gentlemans agreement that there were no boats allowed over 10 horse. Long story short we won the right to put whatever horse boat we want on the lake. My mom currently owns "the most destructive and over powered boat" on the lake (that was a written complaint!) a HUGE 20 ft century with 230 hp !! My dad put 9hrs on it last year, probably didnt hit 20mph cruising

Anyways, from my experience all power boaters must stand together, like it or not. We won by a very small margin. Look up "tread lightly", it includes any type of off road equipment because one turd can close a whole park unfortunately.

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 12:27am
"What happens when you try to remodel a structure built to code 75 feet from high water but it is now only 60?"

With all due respect...if you live on lake minnetonka and can't afford to maintain your shoreline then cash out, move out, and quit bitchin...come on give me a break...it is lake minnetonka...

And what exactly is your point? now you are blaming the 15 foot lower water on surf boats? Or are you completely changing the subject?

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 12:33am
My lake is 56000 acres with over 900 miles of shoreline. I have nearly 3' white caps hitting shore during a storm. Property was purchased knowing that I would be losing shoreline due to erosion. I blame no one but me because I knew the consequences of lake front ownership.

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Anyways, from my experience all power boaters must stand together, like it or not. We won by a very small margin. Look up "tread lightly", it includes any type of off road equipment because one turd can close a whole park unfortunately.

That's the big issue. A few pot smoking, dough heads operating a 90K wake machine will ruin power boating for all of us.

I'm all for power boats. The more power the better, the faster the better. But operators need to be courteous. I know my boat is louder than most, so early morning when going to breakfast, I keep the exhaust under the water. It's not hard to think of other people, and it takes just a little bit of effort...

-------------

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 12:48am

My lake is 56000 acres with over 900 miles of shoreline. I have nearly 3' white caps hitting shore during a storm. Property was purchased knowing that I would be losing shoreline due to erosion. I blame no one but me because I knew the consequences of lake front ownership.

Again you're missing the point.

1. Wave action from a storm is something we cannot control. 2. I don't have 3' waves from storms on my lake. Your lake has had that kind of wave action for thousands of years, mine chain has not. We've had it for FAR less. 3. A wave machine boat on your lake isn't going to make as big of an impact as a wave machine boat on my lake.

-------------

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 12:50am
That's right, Matt, 4,200 is all it is, a little more if you count the rivers.
Here are the 10 lakes, you live on the big one!

Lakes                    Acres              Max Depth
Alder Lake            274                 33'
Clear Lake             555                45'
Fawn Lake             74                 14'
Island Lake            1023               35'
Little Star Lake       245                67'
Manitowish Lake     496                61'
Rest Lake               808                53'
Spider Lake             272                43'
Stone Lake              139                43'
Wild Rice Lake        379                26'

I have a ritual with a few of my friends. We take a boat ride and dip the prop in each of the 10 lakes. Using responsible "SNW" speed where posted it normally takes about 4 hours, and that is running comfortably fast on the lakes. 10,000 is right too. Basically a lot of people in our county want to do to wake boats what they have done to any boat with a cabin and four wheelers, ban them completely. We have a nice LITTLE chain. On a 56,000 acre lake I can't imagine there is a problem with wake. Even Lake Geneva, at 5,500 acres and Green Lake, at 7,346 absorb the wake with no real detrimental effect I am aware of, but at more than 5 and 7 times the size of our largest lake respectively, it is no wonder.

BTW, the high water mark property markers that were put in when my property was sold to the previous owner in 1978 are now 9' out in the water. They are visible at the winter draw down. I am lucky that my shack is set 95 feet back or I may not have been be able to do the remodeling work I have done to it.

http://www.manitowishwaters.org/community-info/lake-information.html" rel="nofollow - Manitowish Chain

-------------

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:07am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

On a 56,000 acre lake I can't imagine there is a problem with wake. Even Lake Geneva, at 5,500 acres and Green Lake, at 7,346 absorb the wake with no real detrimental effect I am aware of, but at more than 5 and 7 times the size of our largest lake respectively, it is no wonder.

B

Heck, evev Lake Tomahawk absorbs the waves. What some fail to understand is that on smaller lakes, the waves do not have time to diminish like they do on bigger lakes. I would like to see a 4K-5K pound limit on our chain with expensive permits for those who need a much bigger boat.

-------------

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:08am

Again you're missing the point.

1. Wave action from a storm is something we cannot control. 2. I don't have 3' waves from storms on my lake. Your lake has had that kind of wave action for thousands of years, mine chain has not. We've had it for FAR less. 3. A wave machine boat on your lake isn't going to make as big of an impact as a wave machine boat on my lake.

Wrong. My lake was at full pool for the first time around 1961. And yes storms affect your lake just as big boats do. My point is why dwell on it. Ignorance is bliss you wont stop it. Enjoy what you do have while you can. The government will do the rest. Hence the school shooting problem. Few bad apples and us smart ones will eventually be relieved of our gun rights by the gov. No single person or group will do it the gov will.

Posted By: AlfaDon
Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:30am
I think the point he's making is that as the shore line erodes, the water gets closer to his house. And if the house is built at the 75' setback, and now the shoreline is at 60', hypothetically he's no longer able to remodel his property. So yes, the impact of big wakes on the shoreline has lowered his property value. I would imagine that a variance would allow him to remodel on the existing front wall though

I've never been to Minnesota, but it seems like with a buzzillion lakes, there out to be a way to sort it out. Big lakes- big boats, little lakes-little boats, it's not rocket sceince. It shouldn't take lawyers to get rich of off it (so they can buy bigger boats)to figure it out

I grew up in an era when it was all about minimizing the impact on the water. And it wasn't something that needed an EIR. We wanted flat water to ski on, and so we did everything we could to maintain it for us and everybody else. If we wanted to be offensive we went someplace where it wouldn't bother anybody.

If it means giving up my access to the lake I boat on, in exchange for not having to deal with monster wakes, screaming 2-stroke jet ski's, tuber boats stirring up the water, and gansta rap blaring across the lake (even Lynard Skynard), then I'll sell my Correct Craft and buy a sail boat, and a few kayaks, and enjoy the peace and quiet from my deck. I will miss listening to the familiar sound of a V8 inboard motor. The only time a SBF bothers me in the morning is when somebody else has made it out to the water before me and I'm not there :-)

And Fram filters are crap, and I learned it here!

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:33am
I have the same problems but on a bigger scale. I have 36/38 foot 1600 hp offshore boats running 100 plus mph down my lake. So yes I see big boat erosion too.

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:45am
The truth is, Vic, we ARE the government. Our local government will do what the people who pay taxes in the jurisdiction and the lakes association want done. Just like any boat with a cabin has been outlawed, and 4 wheelers have been outlawed, it is just a matter of time until our lake association is fed up with disrespectful people who believe nature is theirs to destroy. If you believe that the wave action on lakes of less than 1,000 acres is similar to wave action on a 56,000 acre lake, you are misinformed. We really don't want our lake to become like Lake Hartwell.

Most of us on our chain enjoy nature, clean water, fishing, and a little boating and water sports. We have never found bodies in barrels and seldom have an injury accident.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2009/jun/23/state-issues-advisories-eating-fish-hartwell-other/" rel="nofollow - Lake Hartwell pollution

I don't mean to bust on Lake Hartwell, I am sure many people have a wonderful time there. It is not however anything like the chain I am on.

There is more to life than making water bumpy!

-------------

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 2:03am

I have the same problems but on a bigger scale. I have 36/38 foot 1600 hp offshore boats running 100 plus mph down my lake. So yes I see big boat erosion too.

This comment shows you have no clue,56000 acres with over 900 miles of shoreline and you say bigger scale? Try the same boats where I'm at with a river 400 ft wide-
"Illinois Fox River Chain O'Lakes is the busiest inland recreational waterway per acre in the entire United States. Only an hour's drive from Chicago, Milwaukee, and Rockford, and with over 7,100 acres of water, 15 lakes and 45 miles of river"
Their answer for everything is more no wake areas. If surfing wakes become a problem,then they could add to to no wake areas which affects everyone except the kayakers   

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Hussler
Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 2:21am

That's the big issue. A few pot smoking, dough heads operating a 90K wake machine will ruin power boating for all of us.

I'm all for power boats. The more power the better, the faster the better. But operators need to be courteous. I know my boat is louder than most, so early morning when going to breakfast, I keep the exhaust under the water. It's not hard to think of other people, and it takes just a little bit of effort...

But how do you regulate it?
A lot of the wakeboard boats have similar engines and similar sized hulls. Cant say no wakeboard towers or there will be plenty of Nautique owners that will have to rip them off. Alright then that wave making device on the back of that nautique, well thats pretty close to trim tabs. A ski boat and wakeboard boat are too similar plain and simple. So what then, nobody with Monster Energy hats then?

From being apart of this very fight in real life you cant split the groups. Its the same with gun laws, from my perspective, dont blame the machine, blame the handler.

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 4:09am
It seems easy to me, prohibit ballasted boats and impose a weight limit of say, 3,500#. Ballast tanks are a source of invasive species as well as excess wake.
Here is the perfect venue for big wake boats.

-------------

Date Posted: January-07-2013 at 10:51am

But how do you regulate it?
A lot of the wakeboard boats have similar engines and similar sized hulls. Cant say no wakeboard towers or there will be plenty of Nautique owners that will have to rip them off. Alright then that wave making device on the back of that nautique, well thats pretty close to trim tabs. A ski boat and wakeboard boat are too similar plain and simple. So what then, nobody with Monster Energy hats then?

From being apart of this very fight in real life you cant split the groups. Its the same with gun laws, from my perspective, dont blame the machine, blame the handler.

I honestly don't know. I think the only way to do it, would be sweeping "legislation" which would benefit nobody.

But I would ban every boat with a tower in an instant and kill it with fire. I'd rather have bird flu than have a tower on my boat...or any boat for that matter.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window