Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28662
Printed Date: September-25-2024 at 1:25pm

Topic: 1 mystery solved... another presents
Posted By: Foot_Fungus
Subject: 1 mystery solved... another presents
Date Posted: January-05-2013 at 8:26pm
Pulled the heads today(well port side so far) and confirmed what I suspected from the leak down. Got 2 leaky exhaust valve seats and atleast 1 intake seat. Not sure if the guy ran crappy gas or what, but 2 of the seats were caked with carbon 30% of the way around. Id expect that on a 1000+ engine, but not a sub 500hr. Luckily no cracks, or obvious bent valves, etc. Block/pistons looked fairly normal, excluding the cylinder with both valves leaking. It was pretty carboned up compared to the rest. But all the cylinders were smooth so plus there. When I get back in town I'm gonna head down to the machine shop and have him do a valve job and clean up. The good news is it solves my lack of power issue(no power/accel at BF speeds), the bad is I can't confirm or disprove that my stem seals were causing the minor smoking I was getting at idle. Unless he notices something odd I'm going to reuse the stock springs/valves and just have him replace all the seals. So guess the smoke test will just have to be starting it up after I put the heads back on and see if it went away. Fingers crossed.

-------------
'94SN Restoration underway...

Print Page | Close Window