Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29051
Printed Date: June-28-2024 at 1:18am

Topic: The journey
Posted By: Frankenotter
Subject: The journey
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 1:50pm
I'm finally in front of my computer to upload some photos from my boat pickup. It was a nerve racking 5 hour drive from Cedar Rapids to Milwaukee. The trailer brakes were in sketchy condition, lights didn't work, tires were dry rotted, and the wheel bearings condition unknown.

I proceeded very slowly to the nearest gas station and put some air in the tires, keeping my fingers crossed they wouldn't blow. (I did bring 2 spares)

Here she is hooked up to the 4Runner for the first time.

The obligatory first Nautique photo.

The "Hell yea I finally got one" photo

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Replies:
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 1:55pm
First of three fuel stops. The 4Runner's V8 did great for power but it slammed the gas on those hilly country roads. I could almost see the needle moving.

Crossing the Mississippi

Arrival at the heated winter home. It had been sitting out on the PO's driveway in this brutal winter. I like to think of this about the same as bringing a starving puppy inside.

Next to its new play friend......a 1968 DeHavilland Twin Otter

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:00pm
Very nice first Nautique!    Congrats!

Al

Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:21pm
Thanks Doc!

Someone left some presents for me in the bilge!!!! New Tools!!

How I found the steering cable and arm.

Model - PLPRR12PP What is the HP rating on this?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:29pm
Great Chris - Congrats! Looks good.............

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:34pm
Congrats, very cool boat. Is that hanger in Sturtevent? Not too far from me, I am about 8 miles nw of great america.

Looks like it has that funky rudder, get a pic posted, changing that to a standard is supposed to be a big improvement.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:35pm
Glad you had an uneventful trip.If you ever take any long trips with her you'd most likely be on interstates anyway and you'll be happy to have the V8. Towing my lighter Mustang with a 6 cylinder Jeep is fine until you hit the rolling hills of Georgia,then the cruise control has to come off. You planning a startup soon? If you put it in gear make sure you lube the strut bearing.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:54pm
Quinner that's the one. The boat (and I) are at the Sylvania Airport. I drive past your house a lot on the way to O'Hare from Milwaukee. I'd love to have you come take a look at the boat sometime so you can point out what I'm doing wrong.

Gary thanks for the heads up on the strut bearing. I'll look into this today.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:57pm
Are you planning on firing it up today??

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:59pm
Thats awesome man! Love 176's. You saved it from an unworthy owner and now its your mission to bring it back to its former glory. (it will repay you in full). Looking in the side view mirror and seeing the shape of your very own Correct Craft is a feeling like no other.

I remember bringing my boat home like it was yesterday. No problems other than the windshield shattered about 20 minutes from my house. Stopped to fill up every two hours on the nose. I still get that same feeling when I see it behind my truck. I was pretty nervous like you. Old tires, unknown bearing, condition, no trailer lights and two 19 year old kids on a cannon ball run back to Indiana. Breaks actually worked for 5 or 6 years after. Wired some lights in a Bass Pro parking lot in 100 degree weather.

Couldn't have been more proud of my little R/T Dakota either. It was so hot out Pre Detonation happened on 87 fuel. Had to run pump premium untill we hit Tennesee.

-------------

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 5:05pm
Someone just took honors for best shop ever!

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 5:47pm
Cool Toys, unreal shop.......billy

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 5:55pm
Thanks everyone. In all fairness I don't own the hanger but holy hell am I glad I get to use it.

Quinner it's not starting today. I'm changing the oil right now and I have to track down some tranny fluid. Just installed the new battery and all is well so far.

Anyone in the area that wants to stop by my number is 414-559-two one one five.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 7:09pm
PLP = 285hp

V8 in a 3rd gen 4runner, wtf? Better explain!

Cool 176, congrats.

-------------

Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 9:48pm
Benj the V8 4Runner, as I've come to find out, is a pretty rare model. It was the "Sport" with the scoup on the hood. I love it.

Well I did a little work on the 176 today. Oil is draining overnight, new battery installed, electronics checked, radio ok, and steering cable un-bolted from column.

Here is the odd rudder. Every line on this boat is pretty until you get to this. Looks like a polish hockey stick.

Stupid question.......Is the blower supposed to be hooked up to something? It would make more sense if it was attached to something

Water strainer was caked with mud. I got it cleaned out but the O-ring didn't look so hot. That will need replacing.

Here is a picture of the "shop" aka hanger.

Plus I found a sale on the greatest filters ever made. I bought the entire shelf in case you guys need any.......just let me know

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: dwouncmd
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 11:34pm
Congrats! Cool boat. The 176 is to the 196 as the Tiques are to the SN's (so I am a fan).

I'll buy 10 of those Frams off of you.

Yes, the blower should be hooked up to something that looks a lot like flexible dryer vent hose.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: February-23-2013 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

Yes, the blower should be hooked up to something that looks a lot like flexible dryer vent hose.

That further connects to the white plastic fitting into the stringer over by the starboard transmission mount.

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: February-24-2013 at 1:13am
From the blower into the white plastic hose on the right side of the bilge in this pic. Nice purchase! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

-------------

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: February-24-2013 at 1:54am
looks like a lot of water has been in the bilge while it was being run. you can see the staining on the muffler and tranny from water being thrown up by the coupler, so you should check that shaft packing and the bilge pump operation.
clean all that stuff up nice. wash out the bilge.

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: February-24-2013 at 11:32am
Chris - In your 'Hell Yea' photo - my 15/16 socket is still on the trailer fender!

Glad you got it home!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: February-24-2013 at 12:53pm
Chris I didn't see it in the photo. Was it a 3/8ths or 1/2"?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-24-2013 at 1:27pm

Benj the V8 4Runner, as I've come to find out, is a pretty rare model. It was the "Sport" with the scoup on the hood. I love it.

Here is the odd rudder. Every line on this boat is pretty until you get to this. Looks like a polish hockey stick.

There was no v8 offered in the US 3rd gen that I'm aware of- you sure that wasn't a conversion by a previous owner? Pics would be cool! 4.0l or 4.7l?

N3 has the upgrade 176 rudders in stock for a reasonable price!

-------------

Date Posted: February-24-2013 at 3:28pm
Chris - Just thought I saw it & thought , well there it is!

However, when I zoomed in on the photo, it was just fender rust. I bet it is in the PO's snowdrift.

This is the place I think I left it though:

My bad for being forgetful.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: February-25-2013 at 12:15am
Quinner are you around tomorrow if I try to start the boat?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: February-25-2013 at 12:29am
As nice as that boat is, I still prefer the Dehavilland.
Congratulations.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Date Posted: February-25-2013 at 12:33am
I have original upgraded 17'6" rudders in the shop. That was the only boat made with that size rudder shaft.

-------------

Date Posted: February-25-2013 at 1:20am
Zach when you get to work tommorow can you post a picture of the upgrade rudder so us uneducated can see the difference?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: jbach
Date Posted: February-25-2013 at 1:32am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

There was no v8 offered in the US 3rd gen that I'm aware of- you sure that wasn't a conversion by a previous owner? Pics would be cool! 4.0l or 4.7l?

N3 has the upgrade 176 rudders in stock for a reasonable price!

nice boat. but as a toyota guy, i'm totally intrigued by your v8, 3rd gen 4runner. i'd also like to know what v-8 and year model it is. i knew there was a supercharged 3400 but never heard of a v8. does it have rear diff lock?

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: February-25-2013 at 5:16am
Congrats on the new boat!!

Just like phatsat67 stated, I too remember the first time I hooked my new boat to my car... Still see her lines in my sideview mirror that first time
Get that feeling everytime I hook op the trailer to the car, especially every spring, when I get her out of the wintercave

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: February-25-2013 at 12:52pm
Chris, sent U a txt to the number you posted above, what time today??

Shouldn't you jap car fellas (Timmy) stop jackin the knotters thread and take it over to the forums at www.IDriveAGurlyJapCar.com

-------------

Date Posted: February-25-2013 at 1:16pm
Its not a thread jack since this "Journey" (note the thread title) has to do with a long distance tow to get the new boat back home. Talking about the tow vehicle aint off topic. I know youre just upset that he didnt opt for the chrome package!

Chris, note the prop size when you get a chance... I remember hearing that the 176's came with some oddball sized OJ's. 12x17 or 13x17 maybe?

-------------

Date Posted: February-25-2013 at 4:44pm
There you go. Oh and thanks for the reference Timmy.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:46am
Zack I was just talking to Quinner about you. He said you have the rudders and he also said I sould call you something that I'm pretty sure I'll get kicked off the forum for

I'll give you a call this week about the rudder but I have all my resources going toward getting the engine running for the time being.

As for the 4Runner. I have to remove my foot from my mouth. I thought it was a V8 and it turns out to be a V6. My excuse is I don't own it because I was living out of the country for the last 5 years. Nevertheless, it's what I use to tow.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 1:07am
As for progress today.

I didn't get it started. I ran into too many obstacles. The tranny fluid change turned into a nightmare. I couldn't get any of the 3 pumps I bought to properly suck the fluid. (I couldn't find a suck-up for sale in my area and I WILL be buying one).

I ended up using a primer bulb like you would have on a small outboard gas tank to pull a couple oz. of fluid at a time. took me hours to empty the damn thing. I am really really glad that I put a 1/4" copper tube at the end of the hose because I had to get it really deep in there to get proper suction. Plenty of opportunity to get the hose stuck.

I took the spark plugs out and went to the local auto parts store for a replacement. They didn't have the same ones and couldn't find an equivalent.

****Does anyone know which plugs this thing takes?

I was able to finally get the manifold plug open and holy hell was there a lot of corrosion in there. The good news is it was dry because we weren’t sure if it had been properly winterized. I had to pull quite a bit of debris out of there and I'm sure there is still a lot more that I couldn't reach. Hopefully it will flush out when it gets water?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 1:22am
Chris - Autolite #24 is a common plug to use. Should be able to get them anywhere.

A cheap tranny pump is to use a gallon bottle pump from a beauty supply - I put a clear hose over the output spout so it dumps into a jug.

The manifold condition is not a surprise - good thing you rescued the ol' gal.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 2:00am
I got a Mityvac at Farm and Fleet Chris if your desperate,but if I had to do it again I would look into others. The mityvac is a sealed item you cannot take it apart for repair. After mine sits,say a couple of weeks the handle sticks. If you leave the pump handle in the down position it is almost impossible to get it unstuck. It has to be put away with the handle up. Other than that it does the job.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 2:08am
Chris in Iowa, do not use these words in a thread Quinner is involved in---
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

cheap,tranny,pump,beauty supply,hose,output,spout,dumps,jug or
ol' gal.

It's like the 7 words you can't say on TV

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 9:48am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Chris - Autolite #24 is a common plug to use. Should be able to get them anywhere

The 24's aren't the correct plug for the HO motors with gt40 heads. He wants the autolite 764.

Agree with Gary on he mitivac. The only place I've ever seen the suck up for sale is SkiDIM.

V6 makes a lot more sense on the 4runner. Toyota only put the v8 in he 4th gen runners.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:06am
I use a standard suction pump that I found at O'reilly auto parts. It looks like a grease gun without the pump handle.

Quinner has quite the way of expressing his love for other CC owners haha.

The stuff in the manifolds looks more like Scale build up than corrosion. try to flush them out before you run it because it will just push it all up into the smaller holes between the manifolds and risers. Always a good idea to change riser gaskets anyways to check for obstructions.

I have like 10 or 12 of thos rudders so I don't think im going to sell out! ha.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:15am
I didn't think this was the GT 40 HO engine.

Is it?

I thought from reading that they were installed on later year models.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:21am
They had HO motors as far back as the 93ish model year. Check the front passenger(or drivers?) side head for a 3 "hash" mark casting. That will signify GT-40 heads. If it lacks those hash marks it is a non HO motor.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:59am

PLP... = 285hp (this is the HO with GT40 heads)

The HO 351w was first available in 1992. The "GT40" motor had multiport EFI and came out in 1995... but the carbed and TBI motors shared the same long block.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:08pm
Score

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:14pm

As for the 4Runner. I thought it was a V8 and it turns out to be a V6.

Those aren't the only 2 of something you jap car fella's are missing, lol

-------------

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

As for the 4Runner. I thought it was a V8 and it turns out to be a V6.

Those aren't the only 2 of something you jap car fella's are missing, lol

Here we go again.....

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:18pm
Oh Snap! Timmys Big Block compensates for his.......... V6!

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:19pm
At the moment plan is to go up there Saturday AM to give Chris a hand, if we get his boat fired up he said he would take me parachuteless skydiving afterwards, some kind of new extreme sport.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Quinner has quite the way of expressing his love for other CC owners haha.

You should see the way he loves CC owners' dogs.

if we get his boat fired up he said he would take me parachuteless skydiving afterwards

In that case ill go Friday to ensure its running.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:44pm

Oh Snap! Timmys Big Block compensates for his.......... V6!

Sorry Zach, no V6 here... my '07 has the V8. No compensating needed!

The 176 with the HO should be a little screamer. Kyle's 176 with the GT40 runs close to 50 according to the Airguides- I dont think we've ever GPS'd it.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:49pm
Hahaha, my appologies.

Pulled a G25 yesterday with my Ram. Impressed me with a 7500+ load on her.

Probably looked like I was compensating for something!

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:51pm

The 176 with the HO should be a little screamer. Kyle's 176 with the GT40 runs close to 50 according to the Airguides- I dont think we've ever GPS'd it.

Gps or it didn't happen... haha

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:53pm

Gps or it didn't happen... haha

Ive driven it, its legit- upper 40's boat for sure. We ran out of time at the last NE reunion due to Hurricane Irene... we didnt break out the GPS before the weekend got cut short.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 1:25pm
Irene, always being a fun muffler.

-------------

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 1:41pm

At the moment plan is to go up there Saturday AM to give Chris a hand, if we get his boat fired up he said he would take me parachuteless skydiving afterwards, some kind of new extreme sport.

Quinner,
Forget that skydiving crap. I say get his ass over to the Martinique and let him do some grinding on that!!! Sounds like a fair trade to me. He'll learn quick on that.

Tit-for-Tat as they say.

HW will have a field day with that line.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 2:17pm
Quinner they say its the second bounce that kills you skydiving. So when you hit the ground, grab onto the grass real hard. Oh, and I'm totally not bringing any dogs around you. That's the third reference.

I can give you a ride home when your Tahoe breaks down this weekend.

So GT 40 it is. Sweet. That's like winning your own raffle.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 2:56pm

So GT 40 it is. Sweet. That's like winning your own raffle.

Err, not quite.

PLP... = 285hp (this is the HO with GT40 heads)

The HO 351w was first available in 1992. The "GT40" motor had multiport EFI and came out in 1995... but the carbed and TBI motors shared the same long block.

The GT40 was one of the HO 351w flavors, but not all HO 351w's were GT40's. A "GT40" has multiport EFI. There are carb'd versions and TBI versions as well (yours is obviously the carb version). All have GT40 heads... but having GT40 heads doesnt mean you have a "GT40".

Confused yet?

Either way, all of the HO 351w's (PCM called them all "Pro Boss") were great engines.

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:05pm
Nerd Alert!

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:16pm
Sooooooo..................

Am I happy?

Someone tell me if I'm happy.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Nerd Alert!
You wrote what I was thinking.

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:38pm
Chris - You rescued a great boat that you can sell right now for a profit.     Be happy

Tim - You would be a great curator at a Museum!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:41pm
Tim will take Arts place some day when he retires to old people land (ie Florida). haha

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 4:39pm
        NOT

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 9:13pm
I always wondered about these boats. From an interior and comfort standpoint, do they feel alot smaller than a regular Ski Nautique of the same era? I'd bet they feel just as roomy as the previous generations.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Date Posted: February-26-2013 at 9:27pm
They're definitely smaller but don't feel 2' smaller! They're just as wide as the 19'6" boats, so that helps. Cc really pushed the dash as far forward as possible so that helps too. Pretty cool little rigs.

-------------

Date Posted: February-27-2013 at 3:50pm
Now the problem is I don't want to be at work. I'd rather be working on my boat and this "job" thing really gets in the way.

Anyone figure out a solution to that?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-27-2013 at 4:01pm
I have Chris,but everything is backward.You should be retired when your young and work when when your older. My knees and back can't keep up with what my head thinks they can do

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: February-27-2013 at 4:03pm

Billy, Jody, Zach, Eric....There must be others I am forgetting about. Not always able to work on their boats, but working on others is still more fun than what I do 40 hrs a week.

-------------

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: February-27-2013 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I have Chris,but everything is backward.You should be retired when your young and work when when your older. My knees and back can't keep up with what my head thinks they can do

Wow, do I hear you Gary! I have no idea how I used to find the time to work, or how I accomplished anything else when I did.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Date Posted: February-27-2013 at 5:12pm

Now the problem is I don't want to be at work. I'd rather be working on my boat and this "job" thing really gets in the way.

Quit your paying job,open up a boat repair shop, and call it The Boat Doctor.Long hours, low pay,but no BOSS ..........

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 7:40am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Quit your paying job,open up a boat repair shop, and call it The Boat Doctor.Long hours, low pay,but no BOSS ..........

Yep, I can confirm Billy has made a nice career move... Saw him smile everyday when he got into his shop while I was staying there (and so did I)
That is, when he made it into his shop... Cause the rest of the time he was on the phone

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 2:38pm
Do you have to gap the autolight spark plugs these days?

It's been a while.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 2:41pm
Its a good idea to check them... gap recommendations will vary with the type of ignition system you have. They usually come pretty close to .045 out of the box, IIRC... but some will be off. Worth the $0.99 for the gap tool.

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 2:49pm
Thanks benj.

I have a gapping tool but I'm not really sure what ignition system I have. Ill take a picture in a bit but its all corroded.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 2:51pm
Chris - The coil will dictate the spark plug gap. See if you can ID that. Your dizzy looked like a Mallory to me.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 4:56pm
I would think about waiting (perhaps your plan anyways) until you fire it up before installing the new plugs, in case there is a bunch of fogging oil or whatnot in the cylinders.

Did you get get the other tune up parts also??

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 5:44pm
I got the old fuel drained today, got the wrong oil filter, and checked all the gaps for the new plugs. Looks like it was .044.

Draining the fuel was not fun and I can't siphon the last inch out of the tank. I tried draining through the fuel filter hose until I realized the pickup actually wraps around the top of the tank. No surprise nothing came out. I was trying to use an old garden hose that I cut up for the siphon but it was too ridged to touch the bottom. Ill grab a 1/2" flex hose tomorrow to try to get the rest.

Quinner, I think I'm all set for a start attempt on sat.

I have to return the oil filter and ill probably run to ........cough(west marine) to find a replacement.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 5:57pm
Mil is probably a 2 day ride from me to you UPS.

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:05pm
Zack are you talking about an oil filter? I have a list of stuff I need to order from you here in the next few weeks and that will e one of them. I plan to change the oil and tranny fluid again after it runs for and hour or so.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:08pm
Just get your big list together. Today is the last day of the 15% Feb discount on tune up/service parts. After it will just be the normal 10% CCF.com. I'm pretty stocked up currently so I should have anything you need.

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:26pm
Side if the distributor has this in the plaque:

Marine SAE-j1171
E5JL-12100-CA
Drestolite
7020s 9 J7

I don't see gap info anywhere.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:36pm
I also just noticed a HUUUUGE mistake.

On page 1 of this thread I wrote the model number of the engine wrong. It dropped a letter.

It's a PLDPRR12PP.

When I wrote it down I was looking at a picture and there was a scratch through the "d".

I just put autolight 764 plugs in. Are they still going to work?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:43pm

I also just noticed a HUUUUGE mistake.

On page 1 of this thread I wrote the model number of the engine wrong. It dropped a letter.

It's a PLDPRR12PP.

When I wrote it down I was looking at a picture and there was a scratch through the "d".

I just put autolight 764 plugs in. Are they still going to work?

Nope! Youve got the non-HO engine (240-255hp) that doesnt have GT40 heads... so you want the Autolite 24's. As you learned, that 3rd digit is the operative one in regards to model/hp.

D = standard 351w
P = HO 351w

-------------

Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:55pm
Thanks man. I was afraid of that. Now I have a winter project for next year : )

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 7:09pm

Now I have a winter project for next year : )

Learning quickly! I'd love to see a carb'd 351 SN176 with a H/C/I and maybe dual exhaust if you're getting crazy!

-------------

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: February-28-2013 at 7:27pm

Mil is probably a 2 day ride from me to you UPS.

Zach, Fedex Ground hits MILW next day out of you PITT too as we know!

Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:03am
Well that was an interesting day of work. Pretty much nothing but setbacks, nevertheless, I'm back on track.

I foraged the entire city to find a proper oil filter and got it.

Drove the other side of town to return 764's. Went to the third side of town to get the 24's.

Drained as much of the cloudy, red-ish/orange, 2 year old fuel as I could.

I think I also stumbled upon another little problem. While I was rutting around in the fuel tank, I found this little guy.

After a lot of chasing I've come to the conclusion that this is a ram air line for the pitot (speedo) tube. I don't think it's going to read very accurately in this condition. As far as I can they’ll the other side is fine.

I'll do a search for speedo tubing replacement but if someone wants to surmise it, I would listen

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:56am
I would just reconnect it, you might scoot the nut back about a 1/2 inch and just trim off the deformed end, then push all the way on back on and finger tighten the nut down...then it should work

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 1:14am
Chris - What oil filter does your boat take? I am surprised it doesn't take the Std Ford V8 filter.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 1:29am
I will see if I can reconnect the pitot tomorrow. I think the other half of that line fell behind the fuel tank and the tubbing inside the nut looks like its in rough shape. I'm very surprised CC used rubber tubbing for this.

Chris, the one that was on there was a "Marine 18-7878" which I was able to find at west. I went to auto zone the first time and they gave me the "standard" 351 oil filter and the threads were waaaay too big. I didn't want to waste anymore time today chasing parts so I just went with what I knew would work for now until I can figure it out.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 7:34am

I went to auto zone the first time and they gave me the "standard" 351 oil filter and the threads were waaaay too big.

Auto Zone was a BIG mistake! Sorry but problems with that so called auto supply have come up several times.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 7:54am
If you have the time remove fuel tank and empty and then flush with some clean fuel. Check the sender while you have it out. Getting access to the speedo dampers will be a lot easier.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 11:06am
Andy, I just found out due to a membership I have Fedex gives me a discount. I'm thinking about jumping fences after we get all settled back in from boat show. Hopefully they can get a live estimator on my website.

-------------

Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 11:36am
Pete I completely agree with you about the auto zones and the advanced auto parts. I've had nothing but bad luck with them since I've started this project. Too bad because before I moved out of the country I used to do a lot of work on my car and they were very helpful. It's like aliens came and replaced anyone that had real world experience with a 15 year old kid warring an iPod.

Ill see if I have enough time to pull the tank today. I started looking into it yesterday and I gave up because I couldn't get the filler hose off.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:03pm
Chris - Keep in mind the lakes are still frozen, so enjoy the process.
It's not work, it's a Nautique!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:06pm
When I go to the advance or auto zone by my house I look up my own parts on their computers.

-------------

Date Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:30pm
Chris - Before you pull the tank, I suggest you remove the anti-siphon valve (fitting on top of the tank) & temporarily put in an elbow. Then you can siphon the remaining bad gas from that line. Maybe jack the other side of the boat up a bit.

It would also be a good idea to clean the anti siphon valve, as they get gummed up.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-02-2013 at 11:13am
Chris I have been enjoying this entire process (except paying for things ; )

Funny you should mention the tank because I spent the entire day removing and cleaning it lol.

It was a ***#*#^^#**(()# to get out. The hoses running to it were so rigid and dry that I'm pretty sure I'm going to need surgery to realign my back.

When I finally got it out of there, I found a terrible mess. Everything was wet and covered with dirty greasy slime.

I found the starboard pitot tube fitting laying on the floor behind the tank.

Nasty mess

The tank after I got it out and cleaned it up. It was caked in slime.

Hooked the tube back up and made new holes for the mount.

After cleaning and vacuuming for hours. Can't see much of a difference but the shop vac is full of some nasty sh&*.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: March-02-2013 at 11:17am
Chris I pulled every piece off the tank while I had it off. I even pulled the fuel hose all the way back to the filter and flushed it out. To my surprise, there was not a lot of terrible stuff in any of the pieces.

Even the stuff at the bottom of the tank didn't look that bad. So far, the tank condition is the only thing on the boat that looks like it was properly maintained.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: March-02-2013 at 12:10pm
Well, at least the bilge was flushed each time they ran the boat!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-02-2013 at 12:49pm
Lol, that's one way of looking at it.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Print Page | Close Window