Forum Discription: Anything non-Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29186
Printed Date: June-26-2024 at 2:57am

Topic: 2WD or 4WD
Posted By: bobbarker733
Subject: 2WD or 4WD
Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 1:20pm
hey guys

I'm considering upgrading my tow vehicle for a Toyota 4Runner and I'm trying to figure out if I want 4WD. I got a 86SN and the 2 ramps I use are concrete slabs.

It's pretty flat between my house and the ramp locations and I don't plan on driving further than that. Also I don't need 4WD for anything else (winter, off roading).

So my question to you is: do you use 4x4 when pulling your boat out of the water?

I know angle vary, surface texture, some got slippery stuff on them..

Maybe I should rephrase my question to: have you ever had problems pulling your boat out, on RWD, and using concrete ramps?

Let's see :)

-------------
86 SN and lovin' it!

Replies:
Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 1:33pm
I've had a varity of 2wd trucks. Never been stranded at any ramp yet. Our ski club ramp has a slab but while the boat is still on the slab the truck is in pea gravel.

I always am amazed with people doing burnouts on boat ramps trying to pull things out.On ramps wet or dry I never had a problem even with my smallest truck the Dakota. It had 10 inch wide summer performance tires most of the time. 86 Ski Nautique as well but pulled various other boats. Clearly the best of all the 2wds was my diesel purely because of weight and low end torque/manual transmission required no throttle input to pull boats out.

My new 1500 will actuall slip a tire just a hair more than the little Dakota.
The only vehicle I owned I used 4x4 to pull out of ramps was my 04 Dakota Quad cab. It was a stick with a low gear ratio rear end so it took some throttle to move a boat and it was an open rear end so it would spin easily. 4x4 button and problem solved.

Don't blow the extra cash on 4x4 if it is not needed. Our river ramp is probably one of the steepest around and I've pulled out much heavier boats there than my 86.

96 2500 diesel dodge 2wd
99 R/T dakota 2wd
2010 Ram 1500 2wd

-------------

Posted By: OldSchoolBlue84
Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 2:10pm
I would agree with Zack but it is nice having it. Use to pull with a 93 2w Ford Explore 2 door and a few times I was quenching my rear end. If you eliminate the spinning, should be good to go. Now I pull with Jeep Commandor AWD V8 and its a dream.

-------------
Kostas
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6700&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1984 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 3:03pm
If you are at a slippery ramp & have someone with you when you pull out, have them sit in the bed, the extra weight over the wheels makes a difference.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: ononewheel
Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 8:15pm
While in Wisconsin I had a F-150 4x4 that would not pull the boat out in 2wd. No matter how easy I worked the throttle and clutch. They were concrete ramps too.

I'd bet it depends more on the condition of your ramps and how busy the boat/ wave action is in your area. Around Madison, the waves pushed alot of weeds and slime onto the ramp, and often the lowering of the lake left a muck on the ramp.    

The ramp was always busy too leaving it wet and slippery.

If you find the right deal on a 2wd, pull the trigger in my opinion. They are slightly less on maintainence, and the traction problem could be solved with a little weight like others have said, or a little push from the boat.

-------------
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 9:00pm
I pull my 92 SN with a Suburban 4WD. I have never engaged the 4wd, for any reason with the boat, ramps, or drive. I like to have the option, but realisticly not needed. If the opportunity presents itself, I could pull a house down with it!!

-------------
Js

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 9:22pm
I also had a v6 Dakota with a clutch. I liked to use 4 low at the ramp. Mostly because I believe it is good to engage it now and then and also it is a lot easier on the clutch. No gas, just let the clutch all the way out and creep to dry flat ground. 4wd definitely inspires confidence, but if I did not live in a snowy climate I am not sure if I would bother. If you have full time rear wheel drive I would not expect problems in most normal conditions. Front wheel drive is a different issue.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-10-2013 at 12:25am
Maybe its just my ramps boats and tow vehicles but I've never needed it. 4wd wasn't always so available, plenty of boats have been pulled out the old fashioned way.

And some people can't live without their GPS either...

-------------

Posted By: Foot_Fungus
Date Posted: March-10-2013 at 12:34am
4wd is one of those things that you will kick yourself for one late night when you pull your boat out on a shady lookin ramp and start slippin. I very rarely use my 4wd, but there have been a few times when I've been glad I had it. Of course a good lsd rear end will also do wonders.

-------------
'94SN Restoration underway...

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: March-10-2013 at 5:33pm
in the good old days, the boats were heavy, the ramps were nothing special and most people towed with a station wagon or a convertable. Now everyone needs an AWD or a 4x4. Get yourself a late 70's Estate wagon, Country Squire, or even an Eldorado converable and you'll be fine

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: March-10-2013 at 5:59pm
I pull the 88 most of the time with a 00 Durango 4x4. It pulls it like no tomorrow and I'm not worried about any ramp I encounter cause yes it's in 4wd ALL the time which isn't all that great on gas milage pulling or not pulling the boat. Would I run out and buy a new one. I kinda doubt it with gas as high as it is. Didn't mind it as much when it was $40 to fill it up but now that its $80 or more it stings a little bit. You know the ramps that you encounter for most of your boating so that should help determine your towing need.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: March-10-2013 at 10:03pm
older tow wagons?

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: March-10-2013 at 10:21pm
2 wheel drive will work just fine.
I would think it might be hard to find a 2 wheel drive 4Runner?
So if I were you I would get the nicest 4Runner I could find be it 2 or 4 wheel drive.

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 2:31pm
2WD all the way unless you are in the snow belt or have a need to use the 4WD feature for other things.

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 2:44pm
I enjoyed 19 Mpg at 70 mph yesterday in my full size quad cab 2wd truck into a head wind on a 150 mile trip :).

Limited slip is a must if you are going 2wd boat toater. I have only owned 1 open rear end truck and I hated it. That was the 5 speed Dakota 4x4. Being a stick with an open diff it wouldn't pull out a thing unless it was in 4x4.

-------------

Posted By: Keuka
Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 2:52pm
My Martinique will be a bit heavier than you SN plus I'm sure I have a fair amount of soaked foam adding to the weight. I tow with a Z71 Suburban and most of the time 2wd work fine. I have needed to use 4wd a few times though. The municipal ramp I normally use in natural shale beach. If it is real wet, I use 4wd. It is a nice option to have.

-------------
86 Martinique

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 3:48pm
Im a die hard 4wd guy for a number of reasons (snow belt, steep dirt driveway, etc), and would never consider NOT having it- but I recognize that 2wd may be sufficient on some ramps for many people.

That being said, I am totally lost as to why you'd ever try to pull a boat out of the water in 2wd if you have a 4wd truck. 4Lo gives a slow, steady pull, which makes loading easier- and its easier on the vehicle too. Seems like a no-brainer to use it if youve got it?

-------------

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 4:13pm
Use it if you've got it but why use it if you don't need it? No tire slippage, no need IMO. I will agree, it is definitely nice to have. The only regret I have with my 2WD is at the beginning of hunting season when the logging roads I use to get to my lease are still torn up from the summer rains and there's some deep mud holes. Having a locking rear diff definitely makes a big difference and helps a lot, off road and on the boat ramp. For me personally, the benefit of the up-front cheaper vehicle cost and the added fuel economy of a 2WD outweigh the benefit of a 4WD so that is the route I chose. I have had numerous 4WD trucks in the past and I just didn't reap the benefit down here in FL. But again, I feel it is location and personal preference specific. Need to weigh the positive and negative characteristics of each and make the proper decision for your own intended uses/needs and buy accordingly.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 4:45pm
Another consideration is if your buying new or used.If a nice 4wd comes up in your quest it might be worth it. I have bought the full time transfer case in all my Jeeps.From November to April or whenever it rains it never comes out of 4wd. All but one has had posi,would not buy one again without it. Never have used low except on my home ramp and to put the boat in the pole barn for the winter,but than again my boats smaller than some of yours.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 4:47pm
I love 4x4 but I couldn't stomach the change in payment. Maybe later on but as of now there is no need other than ego ;).

I used 4x4 on ramps if I had it. There is no reason not to kick it on if you have it.

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That being said, I am totally lost as to why you'd ever try to pull a boat out of the water in 2wd if you have a 4wd truck. 4Lo gives a slow, steady pull, which makes loading easier- and its easier on the vehicle too. Seems like a no-brainer to use it if youve got it?

Key word Timmy is truck, those pertend jap car things they call trucks probably need all the help they can get getting over a speed bump let alone dragging a real boat out the water .

The only time I ever needed 4wd as a necessity is launching / retrieving without a launch

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: jbach
Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 5:30pm
i little trick for those with 2wd and an open rear diff (one wheel peel). engage your parking brake about halfway down before pulling out. it will act as a limited slip and apply more power the the non slipping tire.

the same technique can be used for the front tires with the brake peddle if in 4wd. 4wd isn't really 4wd unless you have lockers (locked differential) front and rear. very few vehicles come with lockers (h1 hummer and wrangler rubicon are the only two i can think of). a rear wheel locker was an option on the 3rd gen 4WD limited 4runners.

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Key word Timmy is truck, those pertend jap car things they call trucks probably need all the help they can get getting over a speed bump let alone dragging a real boat out the water .

The only time I ever needed 4wd as a necessity is launching / retrieving without a launch

I'll put my Jap truck against any 1/2 ton pickup any day of the week. Come on down CQ and I'll "show" you why it's better.   

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 6:04pm
OK dere Bert, thanks for the invite, will need to take a pass as I culd only imagine what you gurl car drivin fellas consider a pulling contest. The old double dutch rudder just aint my thing.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 6:08pm
It would have to be down in Florida anyway Chris all the Jap ones here are rusted out.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 6:17pm

OK dere Bert, thanks for the invite, will need to take a pass as I culd only imagine what you gurl car drivin fellas consider a pulling contest. The old double dutch rudder just aint my thing.

Aww come on CQ, I'm ready to put the smack back in smackdown.
Had to post-whore on this one. 1000 posts!

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 6:23pm
I'm like Tim B. I have three trucks, ALL are 4x4's.

I have only owned one 2wd truck in 35 years and I wouldnt consider buying another. (I got stuck backing up to our house ... on WET grass)

I understand a bit more operating expense, but also higher resale value when its time to sell.

4WD...."Dont leave home without it"!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 7:29pm
I bought my truck so cheap I couldn't pass it up haha. It's well optioned and had 20k on it a year ago when I bought it. Darn near perfect.

Had less than 18k in a 2010 truck when I walked off the lot!

-------------

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

I'll put my Jap truck against any 1/2 ton pickup any day of the week. Come on down CQ and I'll "show" you why it's better.   

X2,i'll take ours over any domestic, pulling the boat or not.

:stirthepot: plus, we prefer not to buy govt. bailed out, union built autos anyways. not only do they hold up better, they hold their value leaps and bounds better :stirthepot:

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 8:26pm
I'm pretty sure no manufacturer really makes a "bad" truck. They all just have features and things about them that appeal to people differently.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Leave or leaves? Yes, I know how important the 4WD is for you in the fall!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-11-2013 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by jbach jbach wrote:

X2,i'll take ours over any domestic, pulling the boat or not.

:stirthepot: plus, we prefer not to buy govt. bailed out, union built autos anyways. not only do they hold up better, they hold their value leaps and bounds better :stirthepot: [/QUOTE]

You're not necessarily 100% correct here. Pretty sure most of the import manuf here are operating in facilities that are controlled by union labor. Ford and Chevy are right in there with resale values as well.
I know my Tundra has 100k miles on it with only oil changes at 3-4000 mile intervals, rear diff fluid changed once and I just had to put brakes on it at about 85k. It's been turning 35" tires since 30k miles and is just a beast that refuses to let me down. I love it.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: March-12-2013 at 2:35am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

You're not necessarily 100% correct here. Pretty sure most of the import manuf here are operating in facilities that are controlled by union labor. Ford and Chevy are right in there with resale values as well.
I know my Tundra has 100k miles on it with only oil changes at 3-4000 mile intervals, rear diff fluid changed once and I just had to put brakes on it at about 85k. It's been turning 35" tires since 30k miles and is just a beast that refuses to let me down. I love it.

"operating in facilities"? i can't find a single foreign manufacterer that is unionized. maybe some suppliers? i know the plant across the river produces the toyo seqoua, highlander, and sienna. 100% union free. the camry is destinguished "most american made car" which beats out the F-150.

we will never own GM anything but, the only truck i would even consiider would be the ecoboost F-150, but i wouldn't trade my tundra for it. i have 100K on it with zero probs. i racked up 275K on my previous 4runner only replacing batteries, timing belts and tires. needless to say, we're a toyota family.

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 6:37am
What are you guys towing that you need a truck? If I had to own a truck to tow my boat I would sell the boat.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

What are you guys towing that you need a truck? If I had to own a truck to tow my boat I would sell the boat.

John, I tow with a 6 cylinder SUV because it is what I have, but I have done it with a truck and the confidence level is night and day. My SUV is "capable of" a truck is "built for".

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Leave or leaves? Yes, I know how important the 4WD is for you in the fall!

Heres one for Pete,

What I usually use the plow for..

besides the boats, there's this little 18 footer..

and the slightly larger 24 footer...

Sorry, I dont have the open car trailer here to take a pic...

...and the Pres. wants me to get a hybrid...

BTW, Does anyone make a one ton Jap truck to do this kind of work?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 12:54pm
That thats a big NO Steve. The newer Tundras are plow capable.

I run 1500 and 2500 solid fron axle trucks as plow rigs. Have since I was about 16 years old. Never had a failure in one. Both gas rigs and diesel. If winter gets super bad I just break out one of those old girls but It never does here anymore. Probably going to sell atleast one of them.

I enjoy the comfort of the new truck even if it slips around a bit in the snow being 2wd.

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

That thats a big NO Steve. The newer Tundras are plow capable.

I run 1500 and 2500 solid fron axle trucks as plow rigs. Have since I was about 16 years old. Never had a failure in one. Both gas rigs and diesel. If winter gets super bad I just break out one of those old girls but It never does here anymore. Probably going to sell atleast one of them.

I enjoy the comfort of the new truck even if it slips around a bit in the snow being 2wd.

I hear ya Zach,
Years ago, I had built a 1980 Chevy dually 4x4 with a 454. 400/205 tranny/t.fer case. Dana 60 front/70 rear.

LOVED the truck ,she pushed a 9 foot Meyer plow. But thanks to $4 gas, could no longer afford to feed the old girl. Also got "Tired" of putting $1300. worth of tires on it every 4 years.

This 97 is my first IFS 4x4.. HATED it the first winter. Then beefed the front up and bought the Boss V plow. Now, I would never go back.

btw, the 80 had over 400,000 miles on the clock when I sold her 5 years ago. She is still being used to plow snow today!

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:12pm
All our old rigs are Dodges. We would buy with plows and sell the trucks and keep the plows so we had as many as 4 plows at one time haha. Used to make some good $$$ when Indiana had big boy winters.

Dad plowed for a company back in the late 70's early 80's and all they used were lifted 454 regular cab long bed Chevy 3/4 tons.

I dig old work trucks but have been spolied by my newer half ton trucks for daily drivers.

Oh and Boss V plows are cool

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:20pm

All our old rigs are Dodges. We would buy with plows and sell the trucks and keep the plows so we had as many as 4 plows at one time haha. Used to make some good $$$ when Indiana had big boy winters.

Dad plowed for a company back in the late 70's early 80's and all they used were lifted 454 regular cab long bed Chevy 3/4 tons.

I dig old work trucks but have been spolied by my newer half ton trucks for daily drivers.

Oh and Boss V plows are cool

"Back in the day",(Started plowing in 1978.) I plowed 32 commercial accounts. The 97 had an old style Western "T" handle plow hanging on it when I bought it. Worked ok, but the 7 1/2 didnt cut it after running a 9 footer.

Sold the 80, with the 9 foot Meyer, add 3 grand and "viola" an NEW Boss! Hard to make that decision at first.. after using the v for the first half hour, never thought about its cost again!

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:23pm
Haha cool. We still have a Boss poly 7 1/2 straight and a Meyer steel 7 1/2 blade.

-------------

Posted By: wwchevy
Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:29pm
If you have ever backed too far into a slimy algae covered ramp you will wish you had 4WD . When you need it, you need it. I wont buy anything but 4WD ever since I got stuck in my own driveway 3 times a few years ago (Michigan winters suck)

Foreign or Domestic is a personal choice, but if you want to tow a trailer full of Clydesdales up Pikes Peak, you will need one of these two- the only trucks capable of entering this competition.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/chevy-vs-ford-in-heavy-duty-rumble-in-the-rockies.html" rel="nofollow - Ford Chevy

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:34pm
Have you checked out the new 13 Ram 3500? It blows the competition out of the water with it's tow ratings. They can't build a manual transmission to hold the torque so the automatic is the highest torque rating. 850 Ft/Lbs,
30,000lb 5th wheel rating 18,000lb bumper pull rating. Thats stupid weight for a single rear axle vehicle.

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 2:25pm

Have you checked out the new 13 Ram 3500? It blows the competition out of the water with it's tow ratings. They can't build a manual transmission to hold the torque so the automatic is the highest torque rating. 850 Ft/Lbs,
30,000lb 5th wheel rating 18,000lb bumper pull rating. Thats stupid weight for a single rear axle vehicle.

They can't really build automatic transmissions that can withstand any kind of abuse or longevity either. That's why it was so confusing to me that they just came out with a tranny with even more gears. Maybe they should try to fix what they got first before making things even worse? LOL

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 2:49pm
Sorry for the "why not use a car" post. I am very surprised how some of you guys work your trucks. Pretty much anything can pull a boat out, buy you guys have some heavy work going on there. I guess I have been in the city too long where people buy trucks as cars. It's refreshing to see there are people who know what they're for.
Disregard my comment and Carry on.

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 2:49pm
All the new Dodge transmissions are money. They got a bad rap from the RE series which went away in 2007 1/2 on the Diesel trucks and 2009 in the half tons.

If you actually maintain the transmissions in the trucks they don't have problems. Nobody does band adjustments at the set intervals which is easy especially when doing a pan off transmission service.

When the fluid starts to change as it gets older it causes seal problems. The most common failures on that family of transmissions is seal failure and 2nd gear band failure.

My best friends dad always ran 06 and older Cummins trucks. They would go exactly 250,000 on transmissions before rebuild. Mostly towing highway miles.

All of our plow trucks have the "worst" version of these transmissions and guess howmany failures I've had in 6 or 8 trucks?

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 3:11pm

Sorry for the "why not use a car" post. I am very surprised how some of you guys work your trucks. Pretty much anything can pull a boat out, buy you guys have some heavy work going on there. I guess I have been in the city too long where people buy trucks as cars. It's refreshing to see there are people who know what they're for.
Disregard my comment and Carry on.

John, no problem, I was driving pickup trucks to high school in the early 70's, BEFORE they were the cool thing! Only a few of us "rednecks" drove them back then. Guess we were just ahead of our time?

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 3:26pm
You are such a redneck Steve ;).

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 3:45pm
Steve, I have seen your digs and its no surprise you need one. My recent experience with P/Us has been with a friend of mine. He has one for image only (along with a couple of cars). Steve came up to northern WI in his 4 door Ram with a big engine carrying one of his heaviest loads, a sport quad (probably 275 pounds). He bought my 64 15' Mark Twain runabout and pulled it home. He felt it necessary to call me when he got home to tell me the truck pulled it just fine. That is the kind of truck owner I know from around here.
Once again, sorry to all you guys who know what you need and buy it.

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 3:46pm

You are such a redneck Steve ;).

actually, redneck probably hadnt been coined yet. I was considered a farmer back then. I lived in the country and drove a pickup, what else could you be?

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 5:31pm
Haha excellent.

-------------

Posted By: dochockey
Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 5:57pm
4wd all the way

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 6:40pm
4wd is nice sometimes. I us my wife's Escape 4wd whenever the weather is bad and she isnt using it. It really opens up a lot of parking spaces in the city that mere cars cannot access. It is worth it for that. Is there really a down side to 4wd any more? Mine gets about the same mileage as the 2wd model.

-------------

Posted By: flipflop
Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 7:46pm
Can't believe all these answers in such a short time...must be Winter.

Nice value on the older 4Runners right now. I was looking at one myself. I believe the 05+ (5 Speed Transmission) and 2WD will give you all the towing you need for a Nautique and the best gas mileage. Not to mention the wealth of information out there on the 4Runner. Might even be able to find one under $10k.

http://www.top4runners.com/runhist/runhist42005.html" rel="nofollow - stats

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 8:12pm
I know a lot of you guys like the Toyotas, but they really scare me. They have had so many recalls and with the severe frame rust problems on the Tundra and others I would be afraid it may not be safe. If they commonly break in half on a lift, imagine a moderate to severe crash. Toyota has recalled them and has agreed to fix some and they have been buying back older ones from owners due to the severity of the rust problem.
I haven't heard of this kind of structural problem with the Chevy / Ford / Dodge trucks.

A lot full of buy backs behind a dealership waiting for the crusher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T06CmuE_XGQ" rel="nofollow - Frame swap video

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 8:21pm
You are going to get flamed, those are older tacomas.

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You are going to get flamed, those are older tacomas.

OK HW, watch this! These are 2009 models. The Toyota looks like it has overcooked egg noodles, or maybe pool noodles, for a frame. Everyone knows about fatigue and stiffness vs handling. A good demonstration here.
Go ahead and flame away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3PWGRrCZ4" rel="nofollow - Toyota frame stiffness demonstration VS Ford.

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 8:51pm
HW you'll like this- Back in the 70's you could not buy a nice
truck with modern conveniences that we take for granted now. Air,
power windows,locks,nice ride etc. This picture shows my Dads '71
472ci Caddy on the left with a couple of friends.L-R 27ft,31ft,
25ft Airstreams. All the car needed was a hitch and a trans cooler.
The difference between towing and not was 4mpg. At 32 cents a
gallon,no one cared.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-13-2013 at 9:10pm
Right on Gary. Towing in style!

I'm fairly certain this is actually forum member "form&function". Reminds me of Larry's story about taking on water in his minivan at Lake George.

some white stuff for jbear

-------------

Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 12:33am
HW's Caddy sure gets the job done.

I love the early 60's Lincolns.

-------------

Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 1:48pm
John, all the pictures you posted are Tacomas, not Tundras. I believe Toyota had some frame issues in the 1st gen Tundra but the 2nd gen trucks haven't had any issues with recalls other than the gas pedal hoax and that still has yet to be proven to be the culprit of the mysterious runaway Camry's. (by the way those pedal assemblies were made from an American manufacturer).
At least my airbag won't unexpectedly deploy while I'm driving.
" rel="nofollow - At least my airbag won't unexpectedly deploy while I'm driving. - F-150 airbag recall
Or my gas tank won't fall out causing the truck to catch on fire:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-01/ford-recalls-f-150-trucks-for-corrosion-of-fuel-tank-straps.html" rel="nofollow - F150 gas tank straps fail on 1-million trucks

I could go on but I have work to do. They all have recalls.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 2:19pm
Brett, my 99 R/T was recalled for over rated towing weight. We actually owned one that was a factory buy back. The suspension was the problem it being lowered and having different spring rates for performance application.

The new rating was only 2000 lbs. The R/T came with aux ps and tranny coolers, larger engine cooling system/radiator, 3/4 ton automatic transmission, and a half ton 9 1/4 rear axle with 3.92 limited slip. Needless to say I reguarly towed well over the recalled rating ;).

I think the only recalls on my 10 Ram were outter tie rods and a reprogram of the HVAC head unit. Some of the 10s had a recall for incorrect torque settings of the rear pinion nut sometimes causing the drive shaft to fall out . My build date was not effected by that recall.

Being that I used to work at a Chrysler dealer and my Dad was also a service manager for a different dealer there were lots of recalls on the other vehicles like vans mostly. Hyundai had a lot of recalls too. I think manufacturers like to keep those recals under wraps unless they are a big deal like something the media can make money on ie(sticking throttle pedals frames breaking in half).

-------------

Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 3:32pm
Zach, the stuff they like to keep under wraps are the TSB's. Technical Service Bulletins. These are known problem items that haven't quite gone to full-blown product recalls or don't pose a safety issue. I used to frequent the Tundra forums and before that was on the Chevy forums when I owned my Silvy. You'd be shocked at the amount of TSB's there are for various vehicles that people don't know about. But it's nice to know about them and even nicer when you actually have the issue and can bring that print-out to the dealer and say "Fix this!".   

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 3:59pm
I know! Chrysler renamed urgent TSBs as RRTs. Rapid Response Transmitals. There is a fine for not completeing these before the sale of the vehicle or if the vehicle has a warranty claim other than that processed on the vehicle.

Mostly what TSBs are now are helpful hints or procedures for doing RRTs or specific warranty jobs(atleast in Chrysler world).

-------------

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Right on Gary. Towing in style!

I'm fairly certain this is actually forum member "form&function". Reminds me of Larry's story about taking on water in his minivan at Lake George.

Anyone heard from Ryan in a while?   What happened with his son?   From the looks of that pic, he must have sold the V-drive 2001, and purchased a sunsport?

I am a fan of the custom wagons.... the suicide door lincoln with the airstream is pretty cool too!

Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 4:11pm
That Supra was before the CC

-------------

Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 4:11pm
Yeah, mid-6 lincolns are the shizzle.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 5:15pm
I think Animal house makes me like those Lincolns. Ramming Speed!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 5:19pm
Here is another tow option. He never used a ramp but rather had it
lifted off so the trailer would not get full of salt.This trailer
was only used to store it and travel a mile to launch. A tandem was
used to haul long distance.As long as you don't get a G23 2wd should
be fine

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: March-14-2013 at 11:16pm

Brett, my 99 R/T was recalled for over rated towing weight. We actually owned one that was a factory buy back. The suspension was the problem it being lowered and having different spring rates for performance application.

The new rating was only 2000 lbs. The R/T came with aux ps and tranny coolers, larger engine cooling system/radiator, 3/4 ton automatic transmission, and a half ton 9 1/4 rear axle with 3.92 limited slip. Needless to say I reguarly towed well over the recalled rating ;).

I think the only recalls on my 10 Ram were outter tie rods and a reprogram of the HVAC head unit. Some of the 10s had a recall for incorrect torque settings of the rear pinion nut sometimes causing the drive shaft to fall out . My build date was not effected by that recall.

Being that I used to work at a Chrysler dealer and my Dad was also a service manager for a different dealer there were lots of recalls on the other vehicles like vans mostly. Hyundai had a lot of recalls too. I think manufacturers like to keep those recals under wraps unless they are a big deal like something the media can make money on ie(sticking throttle pedals frames breaking in half).

Hyundai has come a long way, I'm on my 4th. Get this: Around 80K miles my 2008 Sonata made a noise the dealer could not identify. At 105K miles it made a bad noise which the dealer identified as catastrophic engine failure. Since the prior unidentified noise had been documented, they replaced with a brand new engine (I saw the crate) at no cost to me other than a token $300 share of the labor. New engine at 105,000 miles for $300 bucks, think many other manufacturers would do that? My son drives it now running strong at 180K on the odometer, 75K on the engine. Now I drive a 2011 Elantra, 77,000 already and going strong....

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: March-15-2013 at 12:03am
My gawd you spend waay too much time in the car

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

My gawd you spend waay too much time in the car

Ya think? Seems every 2 years I've got a great 100K mile car to pass to one of the kids........

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:15pm
Where I live I wouldn't consider a 2WD vehicle. There's too many weather related reasons to have 4WD, the boat towing is just one more reason.

I launch from a yard on a sandy beach a lot, no way to get out with 2WD. My friend's 2WD Suburban got stuck some years ago, had to pull him out.

As someone said, 4WD is so available now, doesn't cost much more, mpg's aren't all that much worse, maintenance isn't an issue, I'd go 4WD every time just so there's no question you can launch anywhere, anytime.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:26pm
74, I love the new Sonota especially with the turbo motor. I would chose to drive one of those home when I worked for the Hyundai/Chrysler store over a 200 or Avenger. The interior appointment and materials reminds me of my mom's 08 328i Bimmer.

-------------

Date Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:43pm
Yeah 4wd is great when you put yourself in a position to get stuck with 2wd, duh.

-------------

Date Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:48pm
Thankfully HW is very good at not putting his Caddy in 4wd Situations. Even though it isn't a "4x4" The country chicks still dig it.

-------------

Date Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:50pm
Have good tyres and don't stop. Hell I don't even have limited slip!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window