Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29335
Printed Date: May-20-2024 at 1:25pm

Topic: sacrificial anodes
Posted By: audiodude
Subject: sacrificial anodes
Date Posted: March-27-2013 at 8:11pm
Hi I have been reading about sacrificial anodes. It seems that it is recommended that any boat moored in any type of water, Fresh, brackish or salt, should have a sacrificial anode to prevent corrosion. My question is where and how many should I install?

-------------
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-27-2013 at 8:19pm
I've never seen them used except in salt water. Put one on the prop shaft if it will make you feel better.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Lakeview
Date Posted: March-27-2013 at 10:22pm
Unless your in salt water for extended periods of time and in a marina that has lots of ac current power cables running along the docks- you don,t need them.

-------------
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: March-27-2013 at 11:10pm
We moor our boat all summer and the only corrosion I've ever seen is on alloy parts like the Malibu wedge and wedge plate. They corrode in fresh water. I've heard magnesium annodes are what works in fresh water, but have never seen them for sale, except as part of a freshwater annode package for stern drives and they were pricey.

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: March-28-2013 at 12:04am
I used to fly seaplanes in the Caribbean which was a loosing battle with corrosion. We had anodes all over everything and I think the key here is they "slow", not prevent the corrosion. In fact, one of our anodes fell off one of our floats and by the time someone noticed it, the metal it was mounted to had gone bad. We checked it vs the good float and there was not much difference.

Our best success was coating the insides of metal structures with a rubbery adhesive. This combined with a team of mechanics working all night, every night, sanding and priming metal.

Long story short..........I wouldn't bother.

Chris

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Print Page | Close Window