Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29737
Printed Date: October-09-2024 at 3:21am

Topic: 1990 Ski Nautique (PCM 351W) Died and won't crank
Posted By: calebcl
Subject: 1990 Ski Nautique (PCM 351W) Died and won't crank
Date Posted: May-04-2013 at 7:02pm
Hi all,
I have a 1990 Ski Nautique, everything was running perfect out on the water today, and we had stopped to switch out skiers, boat was idling when it just cut out. We turned the key with no luck, it turned over, but would not crank. Thinking we had simply run out of gas, we found someone to tow us back to the dock. We trailered the boat and went and got some gas, came back to the lake to discover that now the boat won't even turn over. No idea what would cause it to shut off at random, then not even turn over..any ideas??? I'm totally stumped...
Thanks!!

-------------
Caleb

Replies:
Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: May-04-2013 at 7:38pm
Loose/missing kill switch/lanyard?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: May-04-2013 at 7:40pm
No lanyard, no kill switch in place, just the ignition button...so I don't think that would have cause it to shut off at random?

-------------
Caleb

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-04-2013 at 7:53pm
Any breakers popped? How are the battery terminals? What type of battery do you have?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-04-2013 at 8:38pm
There's only one breaker, the 50 amp...it was just replaced, but I don't believe it is popped due to the fact that all the electronics work...we have an optima red top...haven't checked the terminals actually...

-------------
Caleb

Posted By: Nautiquehunter
Date Posted: May-04-2013 at 9:33pm
Check for spark .

Date Posted: May-04-2013 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by calebcl calebcl wrote:

There's only one breaker, the 50 amp...it was just replaced, but I don't believe it is popped due to the fact that all the electronics work.

Why was the breaker replaced?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-04-2013 at 10:03pm
It blew due to an ID10T error...in other words, my fault...

-------------
Caleb

Date Posted: May-05-2013 at 8:46pm
I just wanted you all to know that the answer was the Neutral Safety Switch, we have fixed it and the boat is cranking and running as normal. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

-------------
Caleb

Date Posted: May-05-2013 at 8:52pm

I just wanted you all to know that the answer was the Neutral Safety Switch, we have fixed it and the boat is cranking and running as normal. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

It's great that you found the problem. However, I and I believe others were confused with this comment you made:

it turned over, but would not crank.

If it "turned over", then it wasn't "cranking" ether!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: May-05-2013 at 8:53pm
Pete - it is a common error.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-05-2013 at 9:00pm
I apologize if that was confusing, what I meant was that when the boat first cut out, it cranked/turned over/whatever you want to call it if you turn the key and the engine tries to start but won't, briefly, but would not actually fire...subsequently, we attempted again to start the boat (once we were safely back at the dock) and there was no click or anything...completely dead. The answer to the second problem (nothing happening) was the NSS, the answer to the first problem (turning over but not firing) was that despite the fact that we could literally see fuel in the tank (we have no back seat, as of yet), there was no fuel in the lines. So the solution to the original problem was to prime the lines once we had re-fueled. In other words, we ran out of gas, AND the NSS wen't bad at the same time. 2 problems, 2 solutions, both now fixed...I hope that made more sense...
Thanks again!

-------------
Caleb

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: May-05-2013 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

it turned over, but would not crank.

If it "turned over", then it wasn't "cranking" ether!

Pete yes a common problem with terminology and starting issue descriptions. Us more matured folks can remember when cars still had crank handles. A bit like kick starters on motorbikes.

"cranking" :- is rotation of the crank shaft by stater motor or other mechanical means.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: May-05-2013 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Us more matured folks can remember when cars still had crank handles. A bit like kick starters on motorbikes.

Mark,
Don't forget I have that Universal Flexifour with the magneto and the crank start!!
Crank is to the aft of the magneto:

http://s133.photobucket.com/user/brainard_bucket_bucket/media/DSCF0002-22.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window