Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29867
Printed Date: October-09-2024 at 3:15am

Topic: Tom and Jo's Engine won't fire
Posted By: Kristof
Subject: Tom and Jo's Engine won't fire
Date Posted: May-15-2013 at 4:38pm
Guys, I need your help...

My buddies Tom and Jo, who always help me with my boat, have a problem of their own that they can't figure out.
So they asked me to post this here.

They have an '88 SN 2001. They could lay their hands on a newer 351 PCM from another boat that crashed, and swapped it with their original engine.
They rebuilt this engine that is from the early nineties, LH, originally with the pro-tech ignition (the rectangular shaped box, for lack of a better description).
They rebuilt the engine and put a Mallory distributor on it, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA107025A" rel="nofollow - this one purchased on Skidim . And all the components needed with it for the complete ignition.

But the engine won't fire up, and they have tried about everything.
They know their way around an engine, but this got them startled...

Here are some pictures of the number stamped on the motor for more info:

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Replies:
Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: May-15-2013 at 5:19pm
First thing I do is check to see if the cooler is full!

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: May-15-2013 at 5:28pm
Engines aren’t magic, if they have compression fuel and spark – preferably occurring at the right time they will run. Check if it is getting a spark, an inductive timing light on a spark plug wire will tell you that. Check if it has fuel, take off the spark arrestor and watch to see if the squirters squirt when the throttle is pumped. If it has both those things check for compression. If it has all those things and still doesn’t run then report back and we will tell you the spark plugs wires are in the wrong order.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: May-15-2013 at 5:31pm
Did they use the starter from the RH motor on the LH motor?

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: May-15-2013 at 5:54pm
Don't forget the distributor spins the same direction no mater which way the engine spins.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: May-15-2013 at 6:24pm
Double check firing order & timing . . .

It's easy to miss something when you are on in middle of the project.

Are they going to reuse the BW tranny? If so, will need to re-index the pump.

Good luck.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: May-15-2013 at 6:53pm
I thought they had a BB BFN...or that was another project boat they had?

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: May-16-2013 at 7:23am
@ Quinner: the issue of the cooler has been adressed!
@ Kapla: the BFN is indeed a project that is on hold for the moment.
@ SNobsessed: they are using the tranny that was already bolted on that engine.

Thanks for the replies guys.
As I said, these boys really know their way around engines.
The engine is running on LPG, so no classic carburator, but same setup as mine. It's getting "fuel", good compression and spark...

Jo told me to ask if for instance these pro-tec (or pro-boss?) engines have a different firing order than the "normal" engines? If so, does anyone know the correct firing order we need?

It's got them startled as I said, because untill now, I've known these guys in a way of "doesn't work doesn't exist".
Tom, Jo and their dad were always able to help me and many others on boat and car troubles.

-------------
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-16-2013 at 10:06am
Nothing special about the firing order on a Protec or ProBoss. Though obviously the coil packs are different than a conventional distributor. Having already been converted to a standard ignition system, its the same as any other LH PCM Ford.

If they cant get it to run knowing it has fuel and spark, then theyre probably missing something very basic- probably firing order, cylinder numbering, or timing. They may not be the engine wizards you think they are.

I would start with the basics- verify cylinder numbering scheme and then find TDC on the compression stroke on cyl #1... see which way the rotor is pointing and put the plug wires on accordingly.

-------------

Posted By: 800wildcat
Date Posted: May-17-2013 at 3:39pm
And verify the wire order on the distributor follows direction of rotation, counterclockwise.

If all the basics check, maybe they should double check if somehow any other right hand parts got put in by mistake (not necessarily theirs) - cam can be checked by mounting a degree wheel on the front of the crank and removing valve cover and observing valve movement.

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: May-17-2013 at 3:54pm
There's the possibility that the distributor was mounted "180 degrees out" I think they call it, right?

AKA, distributor rotor pointing to #1 post, but the #1 cylinder is TDC on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke.

Date Posted: May-18-2013 at 8:01pm
Thanks for the help!
The boys are checking the posted info and we will come back to you...

-------------

Date Posted: May-22-2013 at 5:12am
Enigne is running strong!

As soon as they read Tim and Brian's posts, the proverbial lightbulb went on in their heads

Turned out the ignition was 180 degrees off base
So I slapped them in the face, for (as Tim stated) they should have guessed that from the beginning, as engine savvy guys

So thank you all for the help... If the fall over here finally dignifies itself to turn into spring, we can get some real ski time done...

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: May-22-2013 at 10:01am

Print Page | Close Window