Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29938
Printed Date: October-09-2024 at 3:20am

Topic: Walters V Drive Oil Pressure Switch
Posted By: jbach
Subject: Walters V Drive Oil Pressure Switch
Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 12:50pm
Boat is a 99 SAN.

i believe my v drive oil pressure switch is bad. i'm wondering if anyone know of a replacement for this thing besides the $65 one from bakes. i'd also like to have it by the weekend. i would assume there would be an auto equivalent. i believe it is a 2 psi switch. anybody know if it's open or closed under pressure? it illuminates the 1200rpm dash warning light when no oil pressure is detected. i'm not cheap, but it's just a 2 pound switch.

Replies:
Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 1:22pm
SkiDim and NautiqueParts has 'em - I can't search N3 currently - server errors... checking manual....

Steve

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 1:36pm
i couldn't find it on nautiqueparts. i found it on skidim for $50. i'm wondering if i could find an equivalent locally.

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 1:41pm
what makes you think the switch is bad? don't run the boat until you figure out the problem, they burn quick without oil pressure, what you can do is fire the boat and leave the switch out and when you put it into gear and the prop shaft turns you should see oil coming out of the fitting, the pump has a swash plate that is bi directional and the only time you will see oil coming out of the fitting is when the prop shaft is turning. so....if no oil comes out don't run the boat, the pumps are problematic on these very expensive Walter's, so make sure you trouble shoot the v-drive correctly

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 1:42pm
btw, someone makes that switch and it should be easy to track down, try TMI 800-462-8848

-------------

Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 2:01pm
i cracked the pressure sensor/switch with the boat in gear, it's pumping oil, nicely. the light goes out when disconnecting the wires totally from the switch. i cleaned the contacts on both switch and connectors, but no change.

if there is a way to troubleshoot the switch, that would be appreciated. i'm thinking the thing is just stuck. how does the sensor/switch de-illuminate the light when it senses pressure? disconnects the ground?

Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 2:06pm
it has 2 wires so it does not ground, its an inline switch, they are a problematic switch and every time I rebuilt a v-drive I would install a new switch, I don't remember them being that expensive.....try TMI 800-462-8848 ask for toni, put a new one on there for a piece of mind and post the price of the switch

-------------

Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 3:36pm
switch is $29 through TMI!

if i understood correctly, since my dash light is now constantly on, there is continuity through the switch across the two prongs. when oil pressure is sensed, the continuity is broken, thus de-illuminating the 1200 rpm dash light. toni said it was a 4 psi switch. i'm going to test continuity while blowing through it and see if i can break continuity, or even feel/hear the baffle moving inside? if not, grab a new switch from TMI.

if i'm of base here, feel free to chime in.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 4:29pm
Welcome back Eric. Way to subtly sneak back in. Hope all has been well.

-------------

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

+1^   

Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 5:50pm
yes, I have never dissected one, because, well because, maybe its like a spark plug, once fouled that's it. were off to a good start, I just saved you 30 bucks. lol

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-21-2013 at 7:49pm
ERIC!!!!!! Where have you been? Stuck in some bilge for months? We missed you!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-22-2013 at 12:39am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

were off to a good start, I just saved you 30 bucks. lol

i'll be glad to send her off to you for a rebuild when the times comes. hopefully later rather than sooner, no offense lol.

for anyone that may come across this in the future, i ended up finding the switch locally at a napa truck & industrial. Exact same switch for $30 also. thanks for the contact, i put toni at TMI in my phonebook. glad to meet you and thanks a bunch for your help.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-22-2013 at 12:47am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

+ 2

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-22-2013 at 10:38am
Pete, they had me on 7-12's and it literally kicked my assssss, I was on salary with a promise of year end bonus...that came and went, I threw my hardhat at the boss and I said "im done, do this *************** yourself" and walked away never looking back, they have a reputation for being a tough employer...they don't give *************** away and either do I, the boats are being penalized 2500.00 a day for being late, aint my problem, it took a while to convince myself to walk away because that's not my persona, but they fed off of that and I caught them off guard. I have many options on where to go next but the decision is killing me inside. where I really want to be is in Panama city at Eastern shipyard

-------------

Posted By: shagit
Date Posted: May-24-2013 at 7:58pm
Jbach, do you have the part number of that napa switch? Mine fell apart :(

thanks!
shagit007@aol.com

Posted By: shagit
Date Posted: May-24-2013 at 8:00pm
I have a model RV 26D in a 91 BF.... 454... Hoping it's the same one

Date Posted: May-25-2013 at 10:02am
there is a dipstick on top of the unit SHAGIT, normally sae 30 weight oil goes into it, in the past though I have seen gear oil in them. the tag will say what's required on the side of the gear box, don't say I looked and the oil is clean, oil breaks down and loses its ability to lubricate and it suspends contamination....so while you are at it change the oil. you have the bigger box "rv26" because of the big block, the smally's run rv20's

-------------

Print Page | Close Window