Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30013
Printed Date: October-09-2024 at 3:22am

Topic: no spark from Coil
Posted By: 65Cuda
Subject: no spark from Coil
Date Posted: May-28-2013 at 10:27am
maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I am getting zero spark out of the coil. I have the ignition wire going from my key switch to the relay and the relay to the resistor, and from the resistor to the + on the coil. I turn the key on and get power to the + of the coil, but when I turn the engine over I am getting no spark from the coil. I pulled the coil out and tested it, it was testing fine. I replaced both the resistor and coil (ran out of things to check) and same thing, no spark. I put a test light to the coil and would have expected to see some type of flashing light when turning the engine over and still nothing. I have completely run out of ideas and this is my last option before getting a mechanic to look at it.

Has anyone run in to this before?

Thanks

Rich

Replies:
Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: May-28-2013 at 10:40am
The minus side of coil needs to be grounded in order for the coil to have current. You might want to purposely ground the minus side, then unground it, & it should fire.

If this works, it's your points, or the dizzy is so corroded it has lost it's ground (not unheard of).

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: 65Cuda
Date Posted: May-28-2013 at 10:44am
I will try it tonight when I get home. Thanks

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: May-28-2013 at 11:59am
Have you double checked that you are seeing voltage at the resister with the key on in the ignition position? The resisted side should be less than 12 volts but should still be there.

Print Page | Close Window