Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30014
Printed Date: October-09-2024 at 1:31am

Topic: voltage surge??
Posted By: 75 Tique
Subject: voltage surge??
Date Posted: May-28-2013 at 11:58am
I am 95% certain my espark croaked this weekend. (figured it was either that or my coil and with my diagnosis http://www.centuryperformance.com/forum/showthread.php/45-Testing-the-Mallory-Unilite-and-E-Spark-Ignition-Modules" rel="nofollow - guidance on my laptop in my boat and TRBenj on the other end of my cell phone I am pretty comfortable with my diagnosis.) So I ordered a new one. Of course this has to happen on Memorial Day Weekend Sunday, but fortunately, after my morning runs. The diagnosis article says one possible cause is a voltage spike. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but earlier, when my son was pulling me, he asked what does it mean when the volt meter pegs. I figured it was just a 37 year old gauge acting up and didn't think much of it. But now the pieces fit together, that I might have actually been getting a warning. Anyway, question is: What would cause a voltage spike? I don't want to fry my new espark as soon as I put it in. I have been very happy with my espark - flawless for like 5 years now. But here is one instance, when hearing Tim or Pete say, stick with points, its a $10, 10 minute repair if/when they go, it makes sense. I could have picked up a set from Autozone on sunday afternoon (or have a spare with me) and been on my way. Not so simple trying to get a new espark on MDW Sunday. And even now, I am drydocked till Thursday or Friday - just as the weather finally hits consistent 80s.

Fortunately, I did get a run in Monday morning behind my neighbor's Excel.

Only fair tho, as I was getting ready to pull a friend of his when my boat croaked, and as we all know, its the skier's fault when a boat croaks.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-28-2013 at 9:48pm
Larry,
I suggest cleaning up all the wiring terminals/connections and harness plugs especially any going to and from the alternator and voltage regulator. If you don't find any bad connections, then I would suspect the voltage regulator has some issues. You probably still have the old style black metal box. Open it up and clean up any contacts you find inside.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-29-2013 at 10:46am
Pete, I am guessing this is my voltage regulator.

Not sure how I would go about testing this. One wire is ground to block, other disappears into harness. Don't know where it goes. If it is bad, http://www.ebay.com/itm/REGULATOR-FOR-Industrial-Marine-Applications-Replaces-OMC-384537-/111080995362?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dcf17a22&vxp=mtr" rel="nofollow - this is the closest I could find, yet mine has no "ignition" terminal, as does this one. Any ideas?

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:55pm
Larry,
I keep forgetting you have the OMC and don't have the "regular" Ford type voltage regulator. keep searching and maybe take the model # off yours into a good auto supply.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-30-2013 at 10:23am
I did find a match Pete, unfortunately not at any stores,(OMC 383440 or Prestolite 8-339) so I have to mail order that too, if its a problem. I won't know till tonight. Hopefully I'll be up and running this weekend. My Espark should arrive today, I'll get it in and check my volt meter to see if I have any issues. My crappy, fraying ground wire on my battery has been intermittent lately, so I bought a replacement for that yesterday. We'll see.

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:21am
Pete - Didn't I read from you that unhooking a battery during operation will cause an alternator to go full output?

If so, maybe the fraying ground connection is the culprit here.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:29am
Hope that's it Chris, this VR is pricey and has to be sent away for....I want to be on the water TONIGHT

-------------

Date Posted: May-30-2013 at 7:47pm
Chris,
Yes, disconnecting the battery will cause a spike but I don't think that's Larry's problem. It sounds like Larry still has enough wire left to maintain the connection and I assume still start the boat. I'm glad he's replacing it though.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-31-2013 at 10:26am
I am happy to report my diagnosis was correct and after about a 30 minute espark transplant last night, I am up and running again. I did also change the ground cable. I don't know Pete, it could have been the culprit and I was just lucky it started and ran prior to it dying.

The engine end fell off before I even got to loosening the nut and at the clamp end, the wire fell out as I was loosening the clamp, even tho I had recently tightened the two screws holding it. I knew it needed replaced, just didn't get around to it. Lost 4 days and $70 for procrastination....lesson learned.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-31-2013 at 10:40am
Yikes... hopefully you replaced the cable (2awg or larger) with a proper soldered on terminal and adhesive lined heat shrink? And you replaced the positive cable as well, right?

-------------

Date Posted: May-31-2013 at 11:29am
Yes to all your questions, except the positive cable. That's in pretty good shape but is on the to do list. Pete will appreciate this: I hunted around for the proper (most importantly 2 gauge) wire and found it on Advance auto's website but when I got to the store, all they had was 4s. Autozone is right across the street so I went over there and they had the exact cable I needed, correct ends, gauge, length. I am lucky about one thing, I have an Advance, Napa, O'Reilly and Autozone within a mile of my office....can usually find what I need on my lunch breaks. Except the espark of course. When I had to order that last sunday my family was joking with me about where I could go to get it. I told I could just run up to the Dollar Store.

Tim and Pete, thanks for your help. Especially Tim for returning my call last sunday.

-------------

Date Posted: May-31-2013 at 9:29pm
Larry,
The pictures showing the condition of you engine sure don't match the condition of those cables! I think you missed something when you did the engine! I'm impressed with your Autozone. Yours must be a different corporate!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-02-2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Larry,
The pictures showing the condition of you engine sure don't match the condition of those cables! I think you missed something when you did the engine!

Nobody sees the cables.

-------------

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: June-03-2013 at 12:51am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Larry,
The pictures showing the condition of you engine sure don't match the condition of those cables! I think you missed something when you did the engine!

Nobody sees the cables.

And clean that spark arrestor. Really!!!

Print Page | Close Window