Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30492
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 11:18pm

Topic: NO bang
Posted By: Gmoney
Subject: NO bang
Date Posted: June-29-2013 at 7:25pm
All right I am back at the Centurion.. 1984 with a 351W standard points and condensor set up. While at the lake two weeks ago we stopped and talked with friends for about two hours I left the key on and pretty much over heated the coil (or so I thought). I ended up with NO spark and got towed in. So I pick up a fresh coil and resistor get them installed and still NO spark. This boat was running I turned it off and now?? I have 8.25V at the coil, if I disconnect one leg at resistor I get a full 12v at the coil. I am checking the spark with a spark testor and its dark not even a glimer of hope. I pulled the cap and the rotor looks brank new and the points also look new (PO). the cap is a little old and brittle. I cleaned all points with some contact cleaner and verified the rotor is spinning, verified out of frustaration proper firing order. Need a recommendation on where to look next. checked all fuses under the dash. I am using a marine battery, so my cranking is poor once this issue is resolved I will install a proper battery and use this one as an anchor.

Thanks
G$

-------------
"Hit it"

Replies:
Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: June-29-2013 at 11:06pm
Check that the points plate is getting a ground.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: June-30-2013 at 3:25pm
checked ground side and pulled points plate to inspect counter weight assembly. Cleaned some debri from inner bowl of distributor.
when reinstalling plate the copper spring popped off. reattached that and reassembled now I have spark at top of distributor and at cylinder one. But still no pop? Could this fuel be so bad it wont fire? when running the boat two weeks ago we could smell that old fuel smell but two weeks and its not good enough to fire.. the fuel has been in the boat for at least three months. is this new ethanol fuel that unstable or am I reaching? gonna run out and grab some fresh lawn mower fuel and I will try a dash.

got compression, got spark, I have fuel I can see it dump in..I haven't screwed with the plug wires or the timing at all. I checked that the dwell on the points was opening and closing. I did not wet the gap but it looked reasonable.

So frustrating these little things.

-------------
"Hit it"

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-30-2013 at 5:16pm
I'd replace the points and condenser after over stressing them like that. I'd also check the dwell. Are your points breaking spark?

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: June-30-2013 at 10:49pm
I would dribble some fresh gas down the carb, put the Flame Arrestor back on of course. Maybe you have water in the gas.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-07-2013 at 2:04pm
Well fresh fuel didn't do the trick. I did find a bad plug wire. I think they are the do it yourself style. I will rework them all today. New condenser, couldn't source points locally. I will order complete kit from ski dim tomorrow. Coming to try isolated ground also. I have spark for one cycle then gone. I will upgrade ignition system for ease of parts but I know the system works need to fix first..
G$

-------------
"Hit it"

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: July-07-2013 at 7:14pm
neutral safety switch?

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:00am
Good call..I will check that tmr. Is it a normally open or closed switch?

Thank you
G$

-------------
"Hit it"

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:49am
With the transmission in neutral the switch is closed, allowing the starter to crank. If the switch was bad, the motor would not crank. The NSS does not have an effect on the ignition however.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Print Page | Close Window