Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30598
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 11:18pm

Topic: Rough idle when warm, engine cutting out
Posted By: grkero
Subject: Rough idle when warm, engine cutting out
Date Posted: July-07-2013 at 1:13am
Hey guys,

So I've been using the boat a lot lately (1991 Barefoot Nautique with a 454), and I've consistently been having a n issue of rough idling when the engine is hot. The ignition has been replaced since new, could this still be an issue? When I am underway everything runs smooth - except rarely I have had the engine stop while underway (about 3 times, I just start back up and its fine).

When I had the boat out a few night ago, a new problem came up. I was floating for a while, started it up, and noticed the oil pressure run up to about 70 PSI. This thing is always sitting at 40 PSI and about 140 degrees temp. I noticed the temp bump up to about 150 degrees which I wouldn't think much of, but the oil pressure was unusual. So I turned it off, and the gauges didn't go to zero, the pressure went to 20 PSI. I turned the key on and off and the gauges did some weird crap like maxing out with the engine turned off.

A lot of weird stuff going on, not convinced it is all tied in to the same problem, but let's see if someone can help me get started in the right direction.

Thank you,

Grant

Replies:
Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: July-07-2013 at 11:02am
The boat is about the right age to be having some general electrical issues. A general cleaning of all your terminal connections might help. I'd say to focus on you ground connections initially. Especially the engine block grounds and your battery connections. From there you may want to look into running a new ground to your dash and adding a common bus strip.

Print Page | Close Window