Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30691
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 11:22pm

Topic: Engine running a little warm
Posted By: Alcarlaw
Subject: Engine running a little warm
Date Posted: July-11-2013 at 8:13pm
Strange problem..... I noticed tonight that the risers were a little on the hot side (GT40 engine) - you could still touch them but you wouldn't want to do so for too long, engine temp showing a little under 160F but when surfing the exhaust smelt a little warm.
I closed the valve on the heater circuit and immediately the temperature dropped back to normal. Based on this, clearly the heater circuit is robbing too much cooling water from the engine, I wonder why this is now happening when I have never noticed this in the past. Maybe its just that I am surfing more hence getting more fumes into the boat compared to boarding speed.. I'm going to put a restrictor in the heater circuit to ensure the water flow is not too high, but it doesnt get to the bottom of the problem, maybe just that our weather is a little hotter than normal, the cooling system having to work a little harder than normal.

Any thoughts??

Replies:
Posted By: 89Martinique
Date Posted: July-11-2013 at 9:44pm
How is your impeller? And is the strainer clean? This is a sign of a bad impeller to me...

-------------
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: July-11-2013 at 10:16pm
Were you weighted for goofy or regular? Try to repeat that valve close = temp drop. Never heard of a heater pulling away too much heat. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Sure the heater isn't leaking? Cool engine lack of water to manifolds...

-------------

Posted By: Alcarlaw
Date Posted: July-12-2013 at 3:51am
Will check strainer and hose to rwp. I also have a spare impeller arriving in a day or so, will replace to eliminate that . We were riding goofy but didn't have much of a lean so no way was the pickup drawing air. Must be something simple! .

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: July-12-2013 at 4:37am
I was implying perhaps you had air up against the temp sensor (regular riding would exaggerate this actually). I don't have a reserve coolant tank in my Camaro and if I puke too much coolant out of the radiator while in the extreme heat my temp gauge creeps up while stopped until I have the RPMs to pressurize and fill the block completely. Then the actual coolant temp is sensed and the gauge drops quick.

So, what are the high and low temp gauge readings??

-------------

Print Page | Close Window