Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30762
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 11:21pm

Topic: 3980S Carter Carburetor
Posted By: turningpoint84
Subject: 3980S Carter Carburetor
Date Posted: July-15-2013 at 12:11pm
I rebuilt my Carter Carb on Saturday, went pretty well.

Anyways, i got a little aggressive with the throttle plates and broke 3 of the 4 screws trying to take them out so i could clean them.

Anyways, i'm going to drill them out and just remount them, decided they didn't really need to be cleaned.

Anyone have any idea on the screw size, and advice on drilling out the brass screws?

Also, as i looked closer it looks like they were melted down or hammered down so they wouldn't call out or move, i assume because this wouldn't be too good for the engine. So i assume long story short i shouldn't have ever tried to remove them, but *************** happens. Should i repeat this practice?

Replies:
Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: July-16-2013 at 2:43am
Drilling brass is very easy,   just use a drill bit that is smaller than the screw shaft, so you don't drill out the threads... on second thought, it might be wise at this point to have someone help you that knows the carb?   everyone screws stuff up once in a while, the hope though is that you know when to pay to learn.   Good luck! I guess worst case is that you break it, You might determine how available spares are, That might make a difference on how much drilling and tweaking you do before you pay someone for a teaching/learning experience.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-16-2013 at 9:11am
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the consequences of those screws coming loose (damaged engine, throttle jamming) are just to great to mess with this. Time for a new or used carb.

BTW, I did the same thing on my 1st car 40 years ago, so don't feel alone . . .

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-16-2013 at 10:29am
THx guys, i have an edelbrock 1409 coming in the mail, but it sounds like i might have some issue with mounting it. Hopefully this is not the case.

I'll get matching screws at least and see what i can do to fix them.

It was primarily meant to be my backup, i had no issue with getting the car back together and everything in place.

-------------
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: July-16-2013 at 6:08pm
If you install your own screws, squeeze them or stake them somehow so that you can prevent them from turning.   that's why the old ones were hard to get out...

Date Posted: July-17-2013 at 12:24pm
Can i use loctite, is this enough?

My company has a loctite that resistant to gasoline, since we use it for drain that go into gasoline AST's(above ground storage tanks)

-------------
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Print Page | Close Window