Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30975
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 9:17pm

Topic: Installing Alternator Help
Posted By: kodyind
Subject: Installing Alternator Help
Date Posted: July-29-2013 at 4:53pm
I am helping a friend with his 2006 air nautigue. The alternator is bad so we took the old one out and boy it was hard to get out. Is there a way to loosen up the belt, I could not see one and it will be a bear to get the new one back on the same way it came off. Can anyone help me

thanks
Jim

Replies:
Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: July-29-2013 at 5:36pm
Pictures might help... I'm not familiar with the 06 air, but if it only has one belt on the front, you might check to see what other belt driven accessories have the adjustment (raw water pump comes to mind)

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:19pm
If it's a serpentine belt (aka one single long belt) there is most likely a spring loaded tensioner somewhere.

This would be a pulley that rides on the belt, but doesn't drive any particular accessory.

Usually, the tensioner will have a place that accepts a square ratchet drive. Put the right sized ratchet on there, and just pull (one way or the other) against the spring to release the tension on the belt and temporarily remove the belt.

Date Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:19pm
Its a v drive so its hard to see, not much room to see or work

Date Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:29pm
You're looking for something that looks... errr feels like this. The square ratchet drive receive could be on the back side of the pulley, or you may just use the bolt on the front as your leverage point:

Date Posted: July-29-2013 at 7:44pm
Ok I will look in the morning, so how does that work, If I loosen it do I use a bar or large screw driver to pry it tight

thanks
again
Jim

Date Posted: July-29-2013 at 8:51pm
No, no. No large screwdriver. It's spring loaded.

Check this out

Print Page | Close Window